Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Costco had a pack of Acidanthera 'Murielae' bulbs. The flowers looked cool so of course I bought it. Now I need to figure out what to do with 120 bulbs. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hey my dudes I'm coming into some sweet potato sprouts and want to do a potato Tower of some type

My shows that it's a little unrealistic to expect a meter tall tower to be productive and there is a point of diminishing returns.

Can I have a goon perspective on potato towers?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tremors posted:

Costco had a pack of Acidanthera 'Murielae' bulbs. The flowers looked cool so of course I bought it. Now I need to figure out what to do with 120 bulbs. :v:

They have a really nice smell too. My costco had them and I didn't get them and when I went back they were gone :( I plant them behind/among my gladioulus because the acidanthera bloom later in the season, but the foliage is very similar.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tremors posted:

The costco plant bulb packs are absolutely amazing value. Last year I got one that had a few Red Hot Pokers, 8 purple coneflower and like 60 Blazing Star corms and I think everything single thing grew really well.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sounds like a good companion plant for naked broomrape. :v:

Here's the url so you don't have to pollute your search history:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orobanche_uniflora

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jestery posted:

Hey my dudes I'm coming into some sweet potato sprouts and want to do a potato Tower of some type

My shows that it's a little unrealistic to expect a meter tall tower to be productive and there is a point of diminishing returns.

They seem really easy to me in all the videos I’ve seen of them, very productive. How many potatoes are you trying to get out of this thing? Also couldn’t you just make it higher than a meter?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oil of Paris posted:

They seem really easy to me in all the videos I’ve seen of them, very productive. How many potatoes are you trying to get out of this thing? Also couldn’t you just make it higher than a meter?

Ive heard several different opinions from both my parents and one there sources regarding the efficiency of potato towers and honestly I trust plantgoon opinion more other random opinion

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jestery posted:

Tried the blue tarp tube models one year for regular potatoes. Production was good but we had a serious wireworm problem in them but not in the regular raised beds next to them. The problem appears to be that the towers dry out more quickly than beds cracking the surface soil and allowing the adult beetles direct access to the top of the developing tubers. If we'd known about this beforehand then using a mulch and / or misters instead of drip emitters might have helped.

People use them successfully though so it might have just been the result of a new garden with a large click beetle population in the area looking for an easy lunch.

Overall I don't think production was significantly better than regular beds and the towers had a tendency to topple as we expanded them upwards. Never got them to a full metre.

We're in Zone 8 maritime which is kind of marginal for sweetpotatoes. They seem to really like warm soil so what ended up working for us is raised beds (2x10 plank sides) and black plastic mulch. Some of the roots went surprisingly deep so you'd probably want quite a deep tower if you went that route.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I feel like I'm probably just being a dumb poo poo, but does anyone know what kind of aloe (that's as specific as the tag at the nursery got) this is? I'm guessing it's some common variety but I am having no luck.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I feel like I'm probably just being a dumb poo poo, but does anyone know what kind of aloe (that's as specific as the tag at the nursery got) this is? I'm guessing it's some common variety but I am having no luck.

Well friend, first off: that’s an agave not an aloe

In good news it looks pretty drat healthy!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hexigrammus posted:

We're in Zone 8 maritime which is kind of marginal for sweetpotatoes. They seem to really like warm soil so what ended up working for us is raised beds (2x10 plank sides) and black plastic mulch. Some of the roots went surprisingly deep so you'd probably want quite a deep tower if you went that route.

Noted

I have continued research and hacked together this from the compost pile in the backyard and stakes and chicken wire

I'll give it a red hot go, and I figure I get something out of it , it extends about 6 inches underground and about a foot above it

I don't think wireworm is really a thing here but I'm ready to be proven wrong

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I think that looks good. Pretty much what I was picturing in my head on how I’d do it, maybe like 2 ft vs 1 but otherwise the same. Good luck goon

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone successfully get potted jasminum polyanthum to bloom? I'm reading conflicting info; in that it sets buds either in late summer, or fall/early winter.

Apparently it needs to get cold temperatures at one of these points

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Well friend, first off: that’s an agave not an aloe

In good news it looks pretty drat healthy!

It does rather look like an agave, now that you mention it. (It's definitely an agave)

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 10, 2020

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
My "Norse Fire" columnea decided to put on a mid-winter show I have to share.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anybody know what the lowest temperature a goji berry bush’s leaves can survive? It’s supposed to go down to 29° tonight and I’m trying to decide if I should cover my bushes or not.

It’s not supposed to rain, and it hasn’t rained here in at least a day or two.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This trade magazine says “goji plants continue to flower and produce fruit through the first heavy frost”, which sounds great.

Field reports with numbers would be better, but I wouldn’t be too worried. It wouldn’t phase any of the common deciduous species, or many subtropicals, for that matter.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 27, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp

The cats are still making GBS threads in my future garden, even after I laid the ground cover.

At least it’s easier to scoop now? :shrug:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Motion activated sprinkler.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Motion activated sprinkler.

Is this something I’d have to dig up the ground to install? Because there is no way in hell I am pulling up that ground cover again.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Just a garden hose. Push in where you need it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I hav come into some kangkong and am very interested to try it, both growing and eating.

I'm trying to grow it semi-hydroponically

Kumera is now in my ad-hoc raised garden bed

Looking forward to some sweet potatoes come winter/spring

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey folks I have a very important announcement to make.

I currently have exactly 69 sprouted dahlias.

That is all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

nice

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Spring is truly loving

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey folks I have a very important announcement to make.

I currently have exactly 69 sprouted dahlias.

That is all.

nice

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Spring is truly loving

Speaking of thread title.

My dad is interested in planting a bunch of tulips along the walkway in our front yard.

I’m pretty sure it’s too late to start that this year, but what would I need to do to make it happen next year (or this year if it’s not too late), since I think tulip bulbs have some prep work involved?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 1, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I just threw mine in the ground around Novemberish. I think I might've put a bone meal mix in there with them too, but there's not a whole lot of prep involved. Just digging and timing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad is interested in planting a bunch of tulips along the walkway in our front yard.

I’m pretty sure it’s too late to start that this year, but what would I need to do to make it happen next year (or this year if it’s not too late), since I think tulip bulbs have some prep work involved?

Dig a hole 4-6", place bulbs in hole, closer than it say on the package. Maybe add some bulb food and cover. Water.

Do this before first frost generally. Bulbs from Costco are great, as are the bulbs from Colorblends.com.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I also want to plant some gardenia bushes in our backyard, along the wall of our patio. I’m hoping it’s not too late in the year to do this. And that gardenia jasminoides will tolerate dappled sun and/or partial shade.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

I also want to plant some gardenia bushes in our backyard, along the wall of our patio. I’m hoping it’s not too late in the year to do this. And that gardenia jasminoides will tolerate dappled sun and/or partial shade.
At least here on the gulf coast, they appreciate some shade. It's not too late to plant, but they might appreciate a little extra watering through the summer.

If you figure out a good remedy for thrips, let me know.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

You can also buy forced tulip bulbs and put those in the ground. Around here they're a bit more expensive than buying the bulbs themselves in the fall, but not by that much.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Completely fine to plant right now, just watch them during summer droughts like the other poster said. I’m putting a very little gardenia in the ground later today

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My gardenias are in shade and do great. I'm barely south enough for them to grow, I have to wrap them in burlap each winter so they don't get killed to the ground, but they still prefer the shade when it's summer.

As far as your tulip situation, if you're going to plant a drift and you've got a lot of squirrels you might want to invest in some chicken wire to lay over your bulbs when you do plant them so those furry assholes won't be able to dig them up and eat them. Squirrels LOVE tulips, and a mass planting like that is the squirrel version of Golden Corral.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

poo poo, this looks like bad:

Weird because this Pleiospilos nelii I repotted immediately with an extremely rocky mix (below) like you're supposed to. No water all winter, like you're supposed to. Apparently they can be healthy/happy with 1 set of leaves so I'm hoping it's just shedding off excess, but it sure looks like rot. Any ideas?

Nosre posted:

I just recently lost my first ever Lithops in part because I never got around to repotting it, so I'm handling this one immediately

From stores they usually come in a peat-y looking heavy soil mix that's terrible. Look at all that organic matter stuck to the roots :mad:

New mix is 25% soil
25% 6-8mm gravel
50% 0-2mm lava rock

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
No advice but I just wanted to share your lamentations wrt stores selling their mesembs in the wrong kind of soil. We receive them occasionally at our store and they're always planted in heavily water retentive potting mixes in plastic pots.

Anyway, I really need to move somewhere with less winter. :(

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Plant MONSTER. posted:

No advice but I just wanted to share your lamentations wrt stores selling their mesembs in the wrong kind of soil. We receive them occasionally at our store and they're always planted in heavily water retentive potting mixes in plastic pots.

Anyway, I really need to move somewhere with less winter. :(

One of my mesembs didn't make it through the winter. Definitely not over watering, I think it was too chilly by the window for it :/

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

It probably doesn't have quite enough light (it's a north window, but I have a lamp there on them for 6 hours a day), but cold was not an issue. And no water, so this one is a mystery if it is in fact rotted

I guess I can try 100% non-soil next time, I went with a bit of organic because I read mesembs like the PH, and 25% would not cause any issues water-wise

Nosre fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 4, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Has anyone tried something like a skeeterbag? I'm either buying one of building my own. We have more mosquitoes than a swamp, and it makes the garden inaccessible past April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Has anyone tried something like a skeeterbag? I'm either buying one of building my own. We have more mosquitoes than a swamp, and it makes the garden inaccessible past April.
I haven't tried it but some of my neighbors have started using a mosquito spraying service (in addition to the trucks the city sends around) and it seems to have helped? IDK anything about them though-might be killing all the bees too.

I always forget to put it on and it smells funny, but bug spray/Off! really does work.