Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wafflecopper posted:

You can get all 4

Well, yea the helmet is impossible to get before the end of the game, so I wasn't counting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm 4 days in, thoughts:

My only loss so far came when Evrart told me not to think about a CHILD putting my LOADED GUN into their mouth. I think maybe he underestimated just how damaging that would be to my psyche.

Cuno is a good kid. Wish I could get him some real help.

I have successfully stolen valor, and I will be singing karaoke tonight. Also thinking about being a gay communist. 10/10 game

Evrart is absolutely making every power move he can on you, since you're one of the only other authority figures in the area, but implicitly underestimates just how much of a wreck you are and isn't as well-informed as he thinks he is.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Is it possible to get all 3 parts of the armor? or even just 2? after i got the gloves from the sandcastle, I went to the guy who had the chestplate and i never got the dialog to ask him about it

You can get it all. Handy but not gamechanging. Hassle the guy about the mug, have some perception so you can tell he's wearing something.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

as far as i know the chest piece is the only truly important part to get

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Tylana posted:

You can get it all. Handy but not gamechanging. Hassle the guy about the mug, have some perception so you can tell he's wearing something.

You also need to pass a passive Composure check. I think 5 or more Composure and then you can ask him about it. That character as a whole is annoying to deal with, needing a very very specific build to ask him about pie to get the secret achievement.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Berke Negri posted:

as far as i know the chest piece is the only truly important part to get

does it change anything substantial? I was wearing it for the shootout but I got shot in the leg so it didn't make any difference

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

does it change anything substantial? I was wearing it for the shootout but I got shot in the leg so it didn't make any difference

If you miss the dodge against the rifleman, you get shot in the chest first but the armor blocks it so you just get a cracked rib. Then you get shot in the leg.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

If you miss the dodge against the rifleman, you get shot in the chest first but the armor blocks it so you just get a cracked rib. Then you get shot in the leg.

ah, I guess I was just too drat good

also I've decided that the worst thing about this game are the stat bonuses on clothing because I absolutely cannot stop myself from going through my entire inventory every time a skill check pops up and juggling all my clothes around to maximise my chances

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ah, I guess I was just too drat good

also I've decided that the worst thing about this game are the stat bonuses on clothing because I absolutely cannot stop myself from going through my entire inventory every time a skill check pops up and juggling all my clothes around to maximise my chances

I started doing that near the end or to do very specific things (like Karaoke), as some of the skillchecks were pretty high. It did end up with some sexy results.

And that's why I couldn't get the breastplate. One day I am going to cheat and see what the game is like with everything maxed out. Only as an experiment, i cannot imagine it would be a satisfying gaming experiance.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

twistedmentat posted:

Is it possible to get all 3 parts of the armor? or even just 2? after i got the gloves from the sandcastle, I went to the guy who had the chestplate and i never got the dialog to ask him about it
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1904731911

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

holy poo poo why have i never played this before?

i'm already dying laughing at the first other cop you see asking me if I took the body down from the tree and theres no way to evade it.

the writing in this game seems like it'll be fantastic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

holy poo poo why have i never played this before?

i'm already dying laughing at the first other cop you see asking me if I took the body down from the tree and theres no way to evade it.

the writing in this game seems like it'll be fantastic

it's good that they voice-acted that line

you can tell that he's thinking this is the beginning of a long, long, long day

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone just gave me $100. I checked my $$ and it is in the billions. Did the game glitch or am I super rich? I saved and had to log out for a bit. Kinda in shock. Did not expect that. Also didnt expect to hit to sub 40 rolls in a row.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You can tell he really wishes you had taken the corpse down from the tree

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone just gave me $100. I checked my $$ and it is in the billions. Did the game glitch or am I super rich? I saved and had to log out for a bit. Kinda in shock. Did not expect that. Also didnt expect to hit to sub 40 rolls in a row.

This happened to me too, once I left the room the money reset to the correct amount.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Is this with the megarich light bending guy? because I think that's supposed to happen. You don't actually get that much money.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, yeah maybe it's intentional? Though the popup says the correct amount, it's just the wallet that displays a ridiculous number.

My first playthrough I failed the check to come up with a bad pitch, which accidentally resulted in me coming up with a good pitch and getting the money anyway, which I can only imagine is the best possible way for that scene to play out.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The high-net-worth are not like you and me. They are not human.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Waltzing Along posted:

You better buy that lamp post.

Also that guy gave me money, but it appeared as 100.00 or whatever and not a billion.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I bought and began playing this game because I'm a sucker for reading good stories. I made my own character with 4/3/2/3 stat divisions but put my signature skill as Volition, because even though I'm a cop, I want to be a decent one. :unsmith:

Should I also go for Hardcore Mode, or is it really a bad idea for a first run?

Edit: I succeeded the Visual Calculus check to learn I chucked my shoes through the window, then picked up both shoes... but I can only wear one at a time? Why isn't the game recognizing I found my other shoe?

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 26, 2020

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Oh, yeah maybe it's intentional? Though the popup says the correct amount, it's just the wallet that displays a ridiculous number.

My first playthrough I failed the check to come up with a bad pitch, which accidentally resulted in me coming up with a good pitch and getting the money anyway, which I can only imagine is the best possible way for that scene to play out.

Yeah it's intentional-- bending the amount of money you have just like the light. I think your money appears higher the closer you are to him, but I can't easily check that. It's not related to the money he gives you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Imhotep posted:

You better buy that lamp post.

Also that guy gave me money, but it appeared as 100.00 or whatever and not a billion.

I bought the $50 shoes. And some drugs. And meds to counter the drugs. I think I've bought every clothing item I have been able to find. I wish there were a sort feature. Sort by bonus and/or sort by item slot. Every skill check has devolved into going through my wardrobe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Genovera posted:

Yeah it's intentional-- bending the amount of money you have just like the light. I think your money appears higher the closer you are to him, but I can't easily check that. It's not related to the money he gives you.

That's correct, if you stand really close the number turns into all 9s and disappears off the edge of the screen.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

Edit: I succeeded the Visual Calculus check to learn I chucked my shoes through the window, then picked up both shoes... but I can only wear one at a time? Why isn't the game recognizing I found my other shoe?

For hardcore, I'd say go against it on a first run, but that's just me.

When I picked up the other shoe it immediately merged with the existing shoe I was wearing into some kind of double shoe. Were you wearing the first one when you found the second?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

Without Hardcore Mode it's pretty easy to get a "good" ending without much problems.
So just think for yourself if you want smooth sailing or not.

bobtheconqueror posted:

For hardcore, I'd say go against it on a first run, but that's just me.

When I picked up the other shoe it immediately merged with the existing shoe I was wearing into some kind of double shoe. Were you wearing the first one when you found the second?

You are indeed wearing one shoe from the start.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Day 1 is wrapping up for me. I've managed to become a feminist, communist hobocop who keeps apologizing for everything, and trying to make Kim like me. Also loving how my thoughts chat with each other. Volition keeps helping me out! :3: Pity I still can't stomach approaching a dead body though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just finished my day 1 as well. I'm a Race Theory Communist who is coming apart at the seams, mentally. Just signed up for the Remote viewing department haha

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

You are indeed wearing one shoe from the start.

Yeah I remember it forces the first shoe on since it's a tutorial part, but you technically could take it off before gathering the second. Thought simple sequence breaking might be why the shoes didn't turn into a pair for the op.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really wish the end of day review for day one was something that happened every day. I spent like twenty minutes trying to figure out how to trigger it the second day.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
A game with Kim following you most of the time honestly doesn't give you enough time to chill with Kim.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GlyphGryph posted:

I really wish the end of day review for day one was something that happened every day.

I'd pay for a DLC that's just this

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

GlyphGryph posted:

I really wish the end of day review for day one was something that happened every day. I spent like twenty minutes trying to figure out how to trigger it the second day.

I agree. The ending should be retconned to be the same as well. It feels more natural to have the debriefing outside of the balcony of the Whirling in Rags.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXZ_hsHUVw

https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

People looking for something similar to DE should check out Beautiful Desolation, which just launched on Steam.

It is basically Fallout 1/2 as an isometric adventure game with no direct combat and stunning graphics. I backed it on Kickstarter and don't understand why it hasn't been getting more attention.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXZ_hsHUVw

https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

People looking for something similar to DE should check out Beautiful Desolation, which just launched on Steam.

It is basically Fallout 1/2 as an isometric adventure game with no direct combat and stunning graphics. I backed it on Kickstarter and don't understand why it hasn't been getting more attention.

Taking a swift look at it makes me feel like the writing in that game is the normal video game type of affair, and not anything like DE at all, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Taking a swift look at it makes me feel like the writing in that game is the normal video game type of affair, and not anything like DE at all, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

It's from the same people behind Stasis which had some hamfisted and cliché story beats. So I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be lackluster.

But I'll still check out some unedited gameplay on youtube,

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Started my second playthrough of the game, this time on Hardcore (using a 1/2/6/3 build to contrast with my previous 6/1/2/3 build) and the first two hours have still been me laughing my rear end off at the writing, even though I've seen a lot of it before.

One thing that I've noticed is that if you follow the Inland Empire's advice and don't look in the mirror then your portrait will stay like this. I wonder if I can beat the whole game without Harry knowing what he looks like.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

what's the deal with hardcore? is it really that much more difficult?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Jack Trades posted:

One thing that I've noticed is that if you follow the Inland Empire's advice and don't look in the mirror then your portrait will stay like this. I wonder if I can beat the whole game without Harry knowing what he looks like.

Maybe he just thinks he looks like a spooky ghost. Perfect for an Apocalypse Cop.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Jack Trades posted:

I never looked in the mirror in my first/only playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Cop. We are living under the cop regime.