Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It certainly hurts the families who already barely afford Disney more than anything. Not sure what else they can realistically do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ticket prices and cost increases haven’t done poo poo to the crowds from what I saw last week. Parks were slammed the entire time I was there. People spending tons of money on hard ticket events.

They really need to extend the operating hours back the way they were a few years ago, it that’s not going to happen

I’m still processing how I feel about this last trip, but it wasn’t as great as previous trips.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to decrease demand. The better the experience, the higher demand will be. All you can do is make it harder to actually get in, and raising prices to gate the poor out is the only way to to do that. With Disney as popular as it is now, cheap tickets would probably have the parks at capacity every single day from open to close.

I had this same debate with someone who was upset at HHN having such long lines. She wanted them to restrict ticket sales so the houses could actually send individual groups through instead of long lines of people filing past the actors, and I pointed out how that would make it impossible for the majority of customers to ever attend.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hazo posted:

...the parks are more overpriced and overcrowded than ever...

I’m thinkin we should raise AP prices.”

This is exactly how supply and demand work.

Edit: seems I haven’t refreshed the page recently. Sorry to join the dogpile.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
This incredibly immediate transition makes me think Iger is probably dealing with some sudden major health issue in the immediate family, since there's not much else that couldn't at least wait until the end of the quarter.

Also, I half-suspect that some point Disney is going to start raffling off Poor Tickets reserved at a certain portion of capacity, and then jack up the Rich Tickets considerably higher to keep the rest down enough.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 26, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

chitoryu12 posted:

Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to decrease demand. The better the experience, the higher demand will be.

They’re not even trying everything they could be doing. Check this poo poo out:

https://twitter.com/easywdw/status/1228713806169284608?s=21

Thrill Data was collecting Rise times - when the park was opening at 7, backup boarding groups would reliably stay available for at least a little bit after they flipped the switch. But as soon as they pushed park opening to 8, things collapsed almost instantly.

Somewhat ironically, it seems like pushing opening back an hour actually did induce demand somewhat - I’d guess that a fair number of guests didn’t even want to try showing up to the gate for an 7AM opening, which is why boarding groups went out a little slower.

I can’t figure out a way to defend reducing hours when HS looks like it currently does. Of course, the underlying problem is they’ve introduced their most in-demand attraction in a way that trying to ride it has effectively zero opportunity cost. It’s a novel combination to ensure the park is, on average, a worse place to be if you don’t have a boarding group or FP. But at least adding more hours would give everyone a bit more breathing room.

Also, the internet says they’re doing other tiny cutbacks, like not opening some character meets or Racing Academy with park opening. These sorts of attractions are probably uniquely valuable in reducing some of the crush, because they don’t come with any induced demand - no one is saying “oh boy, I can see meet Woody at 9:30, time to book my trip to Disney World!” But it’s something to do that isn’t adding to the already 2.5 hour wait for Slinky Dog.

Edit: it would be interesting to see what a Tier 0 FP selection would do to the park. You can select a tier 1 and two tier 2s...or Rise of the Resistance and nothing else. This would probably give them the freedom to move one of the old Tier 2s back into Tier 2.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 26, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
According to insiders there has been a technical issue with Rise that has limited capacity. That is the reason why boarding groups have gone faster.

They say it will be fixed "soon".

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

skipdogg posted:

Ticket prices and cost increases haven’t done poo poo to the crowds from what I saw last week. Parks were slammed the entire time I was there. People spending tons of money on hard ticket events.
Bingo. I’m of course aware of how supply and demand work, but Disney is such a weird commodity in that constantly increasing the cost appears to have no effect on the demand. Extending park hours is the only solution I can think of that doesn’t involve loving over ticket buyers even more. Of course they would have to pay CMs more but I’m sure they will do the right thing and not raise prices to compensate.

Boxman posted:

Edit: it would be interesting to see what a Tier 0 FP selection would do to the park. You can select a tier 1 and two tier 2s...or Rise of the Resistance and nothing else. This would probably give them the freedom to move one of the old Tier 2s back into Tier 2.
gently caress no. This would just completely screw anyone who’s not staying on-park and doesn’t have the extended FP+ window. See Flight of passage.

The current lottery system is fine. If you really want to ride Rise then you get there early and start slamming your phone at 7:59:59 and you’ll probably get on. This rewards the people who came there primarily for that attraction. It still won’t stop the confused boomers from Ohio from waddling up to the entrance and asking how to get on the ride, but sorry I guess? It’s not for you?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well, the problem is that raising ticket prices then lowering park hours and cutting back on operations (i.e. Running just one side of Dumbo) will basically negate each other. Not saying parks aren't crowded, but raising ticket prices is the correct approach, they just need to make sure everything is working to capacity and efficiently, which it sounds like it isn't. There's also the issue that you have an incredibly popular ride that doesn't have a queue. Not having a queue means all those people that would be waiting in line are instead out on other rides. This makes the park "feel" more crowded.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Major fuckup this morning with ROTR. It seems people that hadn't scanning into HS, or even have a ticket on their account were able to get a boarding group this morning. There are people on disboards who "practice" every morning to try to get a BG. Why? I don't know, it's 2-3 button presses, not much practice required, but they were able to secure a BG today.

Boxman hits a major point for me. We went Texas Spring Break week in March 2016, and it was crowded, but we still had a good time because the park hours were longer. The last week we were there (Feb 13 to 22) it was beyond anything I've experienced before. Yes it was a popular holiday week (half of Boston was at WDW I think), plus the marathon, but still, it was borderline not fun to be in, and when you're spending that kind of cash to be there, it makes you think about all the other trips you could be taking instead.

Right now it's basically (especially at Hollywood Studios), is do your 3 FP+ and then decide which 2-3 hour line you want to stand in (if you stick around). I don't see the parks getting slower anytime soon if the economy stays decent.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I feel incredibly spoiled living a 3 hour drive away from Disney and being able to afford an annual pass and blah blah. I'm able to just say gently caress it if I'm done with my fast passes and don't want to wait in line because I know I'll be back soon. But I also understand this is not the case for 95% of the people visiting, so something has to change, and longer hours seem like the only viable solution. Lord knows just raising the ticket prices hasn't done jack to decrease visitors and with the anniversary next year and Guardians and Tron and Ratatouille...it's only going to get so much worse. But by extending hours, they would have less opportunities to sell the hard tickets for after hours events...

For a company that is so obsessed with the guest experience, maybe in this one case, complaining to the company about crowd sizes might actually work? I'm sure I'm being incredibly naive, but it might be worth a try.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
they could also build additional attractions that aren’t replacements of existing attractions

price increases are clearly not the way to fix the crowds, as evidenced by prices and crowds being worse than ever

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Kill fast pass and make digital queues a thing. Disney should be leading the industry in this but their IT is so bad that alone could be why they haven’t innovated on the outdated fast pass system.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5th gate, 24 hour days now and then (park hours have shrunk), and lean on the water parks. Give them something new.

Expand a bit more. I agree with digital queues.

Disney is definitely trying to make everything about the parks a $10k+ luxury experience for a family of 2-3. And that's not a long-term business plan.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Nanigans posted:

Guardians and Tron and Ratatouille...it's only going to get so much worse.

All of these will probably be a net improvement because...

Dren posted:

they could also build additional attractions that aren’t replacements of existing attractions

They‘re straight additions. They make booking desirable fast passes easier and they spread rope drop crowds.

There will be some level of induced demand but it won’t be anything like what we’re seeing at Hollywood Studios because (assuming typical attraction opening patterns - that is, fast passes and standby) there will be an in-park opportunity cost to go for Ratatouille, Guardians, or Tron. Rise has poor capacity, but even worse, it doesn’t even have the courtesy to eat up people out of other queues or their FP selections.

On a related note, it is utterly insane that the same attraction in Florida shuts down a reasonably popular ride with great capacity, while in California it ends up eating...just a gift shop, right? “The Blessing of Size” in action.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
A 5th gate would be pretty amazing and I'd be curious what sort of direction they would go in. Disney Sea in Orlando gets my vote

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

couldcareless posted:

A 5th gate would be pretty amazing and I'd be curious what sort of direction they would go in. Disney Sea in Orlando gets my vote

The loving dream. At that point, I may as just well find a new job and house in Orlando.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

If they just gave in and did a villains park it would sell like crazy and it would be endlessly easy to expand in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't see a 5th gate happening anytime soon, especially with construction costs the way they are. They need to keep fleshing out the current parts and adding more attractions, specifically high capacity attractions that entire families can go on.

AK is hurting the most for more stuff to do.

A 5th gate though would probably cost well over 5B dollars to build, and I don't see that happening in the next 10 years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dollars to donuts they did a lot of work and research on a Marvel park but Universal said they could take a hike. Maybe it could have been an “adventure” park with Marvel, Star Wars, and stuff like that. Not really sure what theme a fifth park could have now. Hopefully Universal Epic lights a fire under Disney similar to the way Harry Potter did.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I don't see a 5th gate happening anytime soon, especially with construction costs the way they are. They need to keep fleshing out the current parts and adding more attractions, specifically high capacity attractions that entire families can go on.

AK is hurting the most for more stuff to do.

A 5th gate though would probably cost well over 5B dollars to build, and I don't see that happening in the next 10 years.

AK is such a hard one to work in because its conservation message is getting dated and/or too hot to base a park around (little red/big red, logging in kali, etc). The thing people probably identify the best with AK is The Lion King and, while they did a re-release of it last year, that IP isn't exactly building with the cast of characters people know. You have The Lion Guard, but there's a pretty significant generation gap.

They're probably going to do more with Pandora, but I don't think that's the right direction, either.

You want something Moana-based? That's where you put it. A really good dark Moana ride would be a neat addition. I have no loving idea where you'd put it. But it's the last movie that came out that has any sort of conservation or humans+nature=good message in it and it's still in demand 4 years later.

It'd probably be a more natural fit in Adventureland, but MK doesn't need more IP right now. And I don't see them creating something in-park (ala Figment) for AK.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Boxman posted:

All of these will probably be a net improvement because...

They‘re straight additions. They make booking desirable fast passes easier and they spread rope drop crowds.

There will be some level of induced demand but it won’t be anything like what we’re seeing at Hollywood Studios because (assuming typical attraction opening patterns - that is, fast passes and standby) there will be an in-park opportunity cost to go for Ratatouille, Guardians, or Tron. Rise has poor capacity, but even worse, it doesn’t even have the courtesy to eat up people out of other queues or their FP selections.

On a related note, it is utterly insane that the same attraction in Florida shuts down a reasonably popular ride with great capacity, while in California it ends up eating...just a gift shop, right? “The Blessing of Size” in action.

Ratatouille is a straight addition, Guardians replaced Ellen’s. I think Epcot needs two or three more good things to have enough to do. Maybe the Play pavilion will help.

Oh and digital queues for everything breaks the parks because queues eat people and the people not in the queues have to go somewhere. Digital queues would have to be a luxury add on.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
One crowd solution for Rise would be to get called like an hour before you are expected to actually ride. Then you have at least an hour's worth of people waiting in that big queue and not out in the park.

Extending hours is also a good idea, but if rides need down time for maintenance.... But they've run long hours before so it's clearly possible.

Dynamic pricing is solid and I wonder if they could make it more extreme. That was childless millennials like me would be way more incentivized to visit in the "slow" season.

AK needs to scrap Dinoland and build some people eater attractions there, same with Rafiki.
HS could replace Beauty and the Beast with something higher capacity. Repurpose Launch Bay
MK just needs some decent QS. MK has a ton to do, its just also super popular. Plus up the treehouse so there's more to look at maybe?
Epcot.... yeah epcot needs to get through all this construction. Ideally add a new pavilion.

Re-open Discovery Island!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The John Williams Galaxy's Edge theme really is fantastic

The music on Rise in general is great and really adds to the experience.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wife rode and loved Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway. The Great Movie Ride was her favorite and she said this was a worthy successor. The ride vehicles do some cute things and there are some cool surprises.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it really all screens

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bottom Liner posted:

Wife rode and loved Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway. The Great Movie Ride was her favorite and she said this was a worthy successor. The ride vehicles do some cute things and there are some cool surprises.

Yesssssss

Just stick it in my veins

Spoiler tags, please anyone giving out details

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 27, 2020

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There's a new dining plan available today. It's a mixture of the standard dining plan and the deluxe. So you get 2 credits to use at either table service or quick service restaurants, 2 snacks, and the refillable mug.

Pricing looks to be $17 more per night for adults and $5 more per night kids 3-9 vs the standard dining plan with 1 table service credit, 1 quick service credit, 2 snacks, and the mug.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 27, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm anti dining plan, but this looks like a good compromise and I bet a bunch of people sign up for it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I mean, it seems nice, but a Disney vacation is already so jam-pakced without doubling the daily sitdown meals

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

I mean, it seems nice, but a Disney vacation is already so jam-pakced without doubling the daily sitdown meals

speaking as a ta, it all depends on how you vacation. The folks from overseas spending 2 solid weeks in orlando absolutely have time to eat two tables a day, easily.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Even 1 QS and 1 TS a day was too much for us when we did a 9 day stay. It was gloriously excessive amounts of food. I can’t imagine 2 TS.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A lot of the TS restaurants are 2 credits anyway. This seems aimed at people who want to go those restaurants.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Off topic I know but Flying Fish was the best use of 2 credits I've ever done.

Holy poo poo it was so good I want to go back.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I found the list:

In 2020, these are the Signature Restaurants on the Disney Dining Plan that require 2 credits:

Be Our Guest (Magic Kingdom, 2 credits at dinner only)
Le Cellier (Epcot)
The Hollywood Brown Derby (Hollywood Studios)
Tiffins Restaurant (Animal Kingdom)
The BOATHOUSE (Disney Springs)
California Grill (Disney's Contemporary Resort)
Cinderella's Royal Table (Magic Kingdom)
Citricos (Disney's Grand Floridian Resort)
Flying Fish (Disney's Boardwalk)
Topolino's Terrace (Riviera, 2 credits at dinner only)
Jiko - The Cooking Place (Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge)
Monsieur Paul (Epcot)
Morimoto Asia (Disney Springs, 2 credits at dinner only)
Jaleo (Disney Springs)
Narcoossee's (Disney's Grand Floridian)
Paddlefish (Disney Springs)
STK Orlando (Disney Springs)
Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club)

These are the dinner shows that require 2 credits:

Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue
Spirit of Aloha

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Mmm. Early reporting says a Jungle Cruise boat sank a little while ago. I wonder how much drama vs reality there is in that description. Either way if that was on your to do list for today then you may have an issue.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

https://twitter.com/tpclickbait/status/1233108638715318273?s=21

Obviously just viral marketing for the movie :rolleyes:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guess they wanted to see the underside of water next.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cost saving at its finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

chitoryu12 posted:

Guess they wanted to see the underside of water next.