Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Faith For Two posted:

If scoring 80/100 on an annual review means Achieved Expectations and 91/100 means Achieved Expectations, then wtf does it take to exceed expectations?

Arrive early stay late

... on Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

mweb posted:

I am trying to research Facebook's algorithms and kinda the sociology of algorithms.

Is there someone here who is maybe an expert or has anything to share about them? Point me in the right direction?

I was aware years ago they had an algorithm called EdgeRank but that was apparently phased out in 2011 and they have a machine learning algo with tens of thousands of inputs now.

https://ai.facebook.com/blog/dlrm-an-advanced-open-source-deep-learning-recommendation-model/

It's used to predict "where will the user click next"

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Thank you for this link

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Faith For Two posted:

If scoring 80/100 on an annual review means Achieved Expectations and 91/100 means Achieved Expectations, then wtf does it take to exceed expectations?

Don’t forget the classic HR maneuver:

Companywide email: “Here is our performance evaluation process, with the possible ratings and criteria for each”

Immediate follow up to managers: “You are forbidden from giving anyone the highest rating, ever, no matter how justified”

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Docjowles posted:

Don’t forget the classic HR maneuver:

Companywide email: “Here is our performance evaluation process, with the possible ratings and criteria for each”

Immediate follow up to managers: “You are forbidden from giving anyone the highest rating, ever, no matter how justified”

Anyone know why HR seems to always provide guidance or procedures that make high performance evaluations difficult to achieve?

When I asked my first manager what it'd take to get a 5/5 he stopped just short of describing Jesus.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Metrics are so dumb. I’m reminded of retail surveys where anything short of a 10/10 review is seen as negative.

Yeah, let’s teach our kids that a 75% average is, well, average, and then when they go into the real world a 10/10 is the bare minimum. :jerkbag:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

PBS posted:

Anyone know why HR seems to always provide guidance or procedures that make high performance evaluations difficult to achieve?

When I asked my first manager what it'd take to get a 5/5 he stopped just short of describing Jesus.

When people get top-tier performance ratings, they tend to expect raises and promotions. Those are expensive.

They can also expose the company to liability around terminations. If someone has a consistent record of 5/5 performance reviews, and is abruptly fired by her new manager who's made lots of "but isn't your place in the kitchen" comments, her case is much stronger than someone who has a paper trail that lets the company say "she was always a poor to average performer, we just had to let her go."

If management or executives want to give someone a high rating, they're always free to ignore the guidance and just slap "5/5 great job greatly exceeds expectations" on their favorite brownnosers.

So, it hits all three of HR's jobs in most organizations: keep costs down, limit liability, and make sure that "essential" people high in the org chart are allowed to do whatever they want.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had a promotion get approved in early December effective 1/1, so on year end perf I was graded under the lower title rubric. My boss told me that this is the only time I should expect to see a 5/5.

They gave me one big raise with the promotion in lieu of annual merit anyway, so getting 5/5 meant nothing other than a formal satisfaction of the requirement that everyone gets an annual review.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Generally speaking, formalized annual reviews are just as arbitrary as less formalized processes, they just make people lie harder and think a lot more about what they're writing down

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My old job had you fill in three objectives for the year.

We were basically told that we should set them quite modestly so that you are guaranteed to achieve them year after year.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Generally speaking, formalized annual reviews are just as arbitrary as less formalized processes, they just make people lie harder and think a lot more about what they're writing down

Formalised annual reviews can be good if they include a remuneration review.

At my current job we have formalised annual performance appraisals which are tied to a mandatory remuneration review. Based on your appraisal your manager will take a remuneration recommendation to the GM. From this process I've had a $10-25k raise each year ranging from over the ~6 years I've been there (Also had two promotions over that same period but all that really did was raise the pay ceiling).

In comparison my last job had formalised nothing. The only raise I got there over ~4 years was when I sent a loaded e-mail to my boss and his boss mentioning a competitor had offered me +$10k base. They gave me +$12k...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Alternately, everybody just gets a raise that may or may not match inflation every year.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Alternately, everybody just gets a raise that may or may not match inflation every year.

Lol whats a raise.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Gildiss posted:

Lol whats a raise.

it's what you get when you get more money for changing jobs

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

My company has a scale of 0 to 15, where 10 is "met expectations" (???)

I have received an 11 (which they label as "exceeded") every single year, regardless of my performance or growth. I'm pretty sure my manager figures out how much they can afford to pay team members and retrofits our scores to match, which kind of makes the company's "pay-for-performance" mantra a joke. And of course because quantifying relative performance is near-impossible in highly collaborative environments, it's very hard to challenge it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m in my first management role, and I had to do annual reviews, and then was given a pool of money to split between my employees. I only have one non-contractor, so my job was easy.

I know in my last company the managers had to fight among their peers for anyone they wanted to rate “incredible”, or whatever the top rating was.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I'm working for a US corp that also does that pool of money thing for raises. However, I live in a country with mandatory and automatic cost of living raises. For the past few years, every post-performance discussion has been "welp, all the pool money went into the cost of living increase, no raise for any of you"

Meanwhile, the constant increase in medical insurance cost that the corp pays for US employees keeps exploding and is somehow not counted as a raise.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Beef posted:

medical insurance cost that the corp pays for US employees

Hahahaha

Just lmbo if you don't think they pass most of the increase on to the employee as higher premiums.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I do not possess the depth of creativity necessary to conjure up the myriad ways the US healthcare system thoroughly fucks an entire country up its rear end.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

redleader posted:

yeah it owns. way more fun than doing things by the book. i'm a loose cannon

Turn in your gun and your badge, I'm taking you off devops.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
God damnit, he gets results

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hi it's me: an engineer who likes his job.

EDIT: It's also my 2nd week at a new gig after leaving a company that was poison, that doesn't make a difference right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Slimy Hog posted:

EDIT: It's also my 2nd week at a new gig after leaving a company that was poison, that doesn't make a difference right?

You'll get over the honeymoon phase but leaving the poison was a good thing to do.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

prom candy posted:

God damnit, he gets results

*wearily restoring git server from backup after some shithead force pushes directly to master*

"I'm too old for this poo poo"

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Slimy Hog posted:

I left a toxic job and am coming up six months at the new nontoxic job and I’m still quite happy so either the honeymoon period is really long or it’s really just a good job that pays me well and where non-assholes respect and value my work.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Queen Victorian posted:

I left a toxic job and am coming up six months at the new nontoxic job and I’m still quite happy so either the honeymoon period is really long or it’s really just a good job that pays me well and where non-assholes respect and value my work.

Get back in your pod!

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
Broke brain: clicking the checkbox in your IDE to enable multithreaded compilation of your source code

Woke brain: hand-writing and maintaining a makefile equivalent of your IDE project file so you can compile with -j8.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Should have used cmake to autogenerate both :smug:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
alias make='make -j64'

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rt4 posted:

alias m="make -j$(cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "processor" | wc -l)"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Because Compilers Are Weird, you often get a slightly better performance choosing a parallelism number that is somewhat higher than your actual number of cores.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I just go with =core count since its somewhat easier to dig through the inter meshed flood of overlapping error messages when the build fails

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rt4 posted:

alias make='make -j64'

The make team recently adding a new env variable specifically for crap like this, :lol:

GNU software, where having details about what is in a new release should never be in the news feed, or product page,

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/make.git/tree/NEWS

Apparently it is MFLAGS or MAKEFLAGS, compared to Gentoo's MAKEOPTS

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2020

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

rt4 posted:

alias make='make -j64'

If you leave off the number, gmake will start as many processes as it can. Tried this one time at my old job, where we had a highly-parallelized make system and it ground my computer to a halt.

Maybe this should be in the coding horrors thread.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

Presto posted:

If you leave off the number, gmake will start as many processes as it can. Tried this one time at my old job, where we had a highly-parallelized make system and it ground my computer to a halt.

Maybe this should be in the coding horrors thread.

I thought about venting in the coding horrors thread about porting a project to gnu make but

A) Ive fallen behind in keeping up with that thread yet.

B) for all I know it’s a common practice to hand-write a makefile equivalent of an IDE project file. I’m pretty sure it’s a stupid idea but both my manager and tech lead like it so I feel like I’m being gaslighted.

Edit:
I just discovered that several years ago, lovely IDE’s could only run single-threaded build tasks. I guess I know what they were thinking now.

Faith For Two fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 27, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
As always, the coding horror is coming from inside the thread while everyone screeches about whether json or xml is the superior one. Just go to the most recent post and forget about the rest of it, you're missing nothing

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Out of interest, what are the challenges of porting an existing IDE project file to GNU Make? I have the marginal benefit of working in an environment where we do everything in Makefiles from the start.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, go build . seems simple enough to me

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

rt4 posted:

I dunno, go build . seems simple enough to me

not empty quoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volmarias posted:

As always, the coding horror is coming from inside the thread while everyone screeches about whether json or xml is the superior one. Just go to the most recent post and forget about the rest of it, you're missing nothing

In unrelated derailment, I am happy to have discovered hjson. It supports trailing commas and comments, which are the two most common fuckups I deal with from human-created .json files here.