Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the M12 ratchet, but I wish they didn't have so many variations of batteries. Do I want to buy into the M12 battery system, or do I get the M12 Fuel stubby ratchet instead? Seems like eventually I'd want M18 Fuel impact wrenches too, and now I have three different types of batteries. Maybe just M12 for the small ratchet and anything that runs on that, then M18 Fuel for the higher power stuff?

Or if I get this M12 Fuel hammer drill and impact driver set with free M12 ratchet, will that ratchet take the M12 Fuel batteries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MomJeans420 posted:

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the M12 ratchet, but I wish they didn't have so many variations of batteries. Do I want to buy into the M12 battery system, or do I get the M12 Fuel stubby ratchet instead? Seems like eventually I'd want M18 Fuel impact wrenches too, and now I have three different types of batteries. Maybe just M12 for the small ratchet and anything that runs on that, then M18 Fuel for the higher power stuff?

Or if I get this M12 Fuel hammer drill and impact driver set with free M12 ratchet, will that ratchet take the M12 Fuel batteries?

There’s only 2 kinds of battery attachments: M12 and M18. There are different capacities within both systems, but there aren’t separate “Fuel” batteries. Fuel denotes a brushless tool, but the batteries are interchangeable.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have the M18 vac, it’s a good little guy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i wouldnt jump into the M12 pool just for the ratchet...personally i dont find the ratchet that useful. i find the m12 stubby is far more useful.

i'm guessing the m12 "hammer" drill probably barely qualifies as a hammer drill. for around the house tasks, i use my m18 stuff far more.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

There’s only 2 kinds of battery attachments: M12 and M18. There are different capacities within both systems, but there aren’t separate “Fuel” batteries. Fuel denotes a brushless tool, but the batteries are interchangeable.

That is very helpful, thank you!

*edit*

Ended up picking up this set, I've been meaning to get into the Milwaukee system forever. Really excited to have that small ratchet for removing undertrays when doing oil changes.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 24, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the M12 ratchet, but I wish they didn't have so many variations of batteries.

I'm going to get that, too. But... I've got too many damned M12 batteries. Anyone want the 4.0AH Red Lithium M12 that comes with this ratchet and a new M12 charger for like $45 shipped?

Edit: going to BT.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 24, 2020

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ll take the battery, I have enough chargers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Taint posted:

I’ll take the battery, I have enough chargers.

In one year of Ryobi buying I already have 5 charges.

But I still want that six port.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

In one year of Ryobi buying I already have 5 charges.

But I still want that six port.

drop 4 on craigslist and boom you have money for another tool

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

drop 4 on craigslist and boom you have money for another tool

Eh, two of them are the lovely slow ones. I doubt anyone wants those.

We have a lot of caulking to do so I bought the ONE+ caulk gun yesterday.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just don’t want any more of the M12-only chargers. The combo ones are useful, I have maybe four of those in different places. And there’s a large, stupid part of me that wants the 8-pack monster charger, obviously.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't really need anymore dual chargers and I already have around half a dozen of each M12 and M18 batteries. I'm not saying that I couldn't use a few more batteries or a spare charger, but I wish they'd have more "tool-only" deals so it would be easier to want to be spending Milwaukee money on an impulse buy a necessary business purchase

Big Taint posted:

I just don’t want any more of the M12-only chargers.

:emptyquote:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

With respect to MKE's M12 3/8" ratchets, should I get the regular M12 Fuel or the long head one?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Minto Took posted:

With respect to MKE's M12 3/8" ratchets, should I get the regular M12 Fuel or the long head one?
Fuel. As I heard it, there are few situations where the long will reach something the other wouldn’t, but there are plenty where the extra power is needed. Edit: link to when I asked the same question - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post491509892

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Here's one that I feel foolish asking about, but how on earth do I find out the reputability and reliability of not Miller/Lincoln/Hobart welding brands/machines?
Every review is stacked with Amazon affiliate links or is another Harbor Freight clickbait video and it's frustrating to know so little when you're looking at >$2k machines

I'm finding some Everlast TIG welders that are perfectly in my price range, with good enough duty cycles and the necessary features of high AC output and >60hz pulsed DC, but I don't know if there's a good reason that it's nearly $1000 less than a comparable Miller machine. Besides the obvious fact that one is blue and one isn't (or red or orange)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

FWIW I got an Everlast TIG machine and it’s worked well the few times I’ve used it so far. I upgraded the pedal, since that was really the only criticism that anyone had that I found when I was researching. But I’m a welding noob and have only used the Lincoln machines in my class otherwise so take it with a grain of salt.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm finally breaking down and getting a rotary tool (weird I know) and am looking at the Dremel 3000 or 4000 series. Anyone have any experience with those? Should I spring for the extra bits and cutting discs or should I get that poo poo all separately? I'd be using it for cutting mild steel/plastic and drywall around the house and on my cars.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'm in the same boat, my only experience has been with 220v Lincolns with big water coolers and a couple scattered Millers and Hobarts of similar quality for weld tests. Good to know that I'm not the only one gravitating towards 110v green

I suppose that since it's for my own hobbyist uses and making money on the side instead of my main source of income, I can risk buying a different colored box.

E: how do you like the air cooled torch? Maybe I should get a water cooler and a better torch along with a new pedal if I'm spending a lot less than I'd budgeted for the machine itself

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 26, 2020

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Arson Daily posted:

I'm finally breaking down and getting a rotary tool (weird I know) and am looking at the Dremel 3000 or 4000 series. Anyone have any experience with those? Should I spring for the extra bits and cutting discs or should I get that poo poo all separately? I'd be using it for cutting mild steel/plastic and drywall around the house and on my cars.

The 3000 has been fine in my experience for random around the house chores and tasks. The assortment of bits it comes with is a good start because you'll find a lot of times you just need to try all the darn bits before finding the one that works best with the material and way you're working with something. Plastic in particular can be a pain to cut cleanly with a Dremel, the high speed just makes a lot of heat and melts the edge into goo--the cutting bit (looks like a drill bit but cuts like a router bit) or even sanding discs have worked well for me (but you'll just have to experiment and try). IMHO I wouldn't buy a huge bit assortment and instead would just plan to buy packs of bits you find that work best.

And buy a pair of safety goggles to just always keep in the box with the tool. I can't count how many times the cutting discs have fallen apart and sent shrapnel everywhere--luckily always while I'm wearing glasses, but the one time you forget will be the trip to the ER that changes your life.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Seconding always wear your safety glasses, those discs WILL explode from time to time. Maybe I was being too hard on them, but I've had a piece cut my cheek before.

My Milwaukee tools came in, the hammer and impact drills both feel pretty nice, but I'm really excited to try out the 3/8" ratchet. It's not the Fuel version though, so if it ends up being super useful I guess I'll be buying the Fuel version in the future.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had a disc explode, hit the wall on the other side of the room, and bounch back to hit my nose.

Been wearing glasses ever since.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Seconding always wear your safety glasses, those discs WILL explode from time to time. Maybe I was being too hard on them, but I've had a piece cut my cheek before.

My Milwaukee tools came in, the hammer and impact drills both feel pretty nice, but I'm really excited to try out the 3/8" ratchet. It's not the Fuel version though, so if it ends up being super useful I guess I'll be buying the Fuel version in the future.

a lot of people complain the fuel version is not as useful because it's so much bulkier/larger than the non-fuel version

depending on what you need the ratchet for, ymmv

i think i the fuel version only buys you a tiny bit more torque

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Uthor posted:

I had a disc explode, hit the wall on the other side of the room, and bounch back to hit my nose.

Yeah, some discs are better than others (there are ones that have fiber embedded into them that hold together better than ones that are just bonded abrasive material, for example) but all of them can shatter.

I was using a dremel yesterday to trim some sheetmetal and went through two or three of the bonded abrasive ones. When each one went it sent shards around the room, glad I was wearing glasses and I had debated grabbing the face shield.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I love the 3/8 ratchet. I have the non-FUEL one. It's a life saver. I break bolts loose with a normal one and then hit it with the rapid fire. It's been fabulous for changing out an intake manifold and valve cover gaskets recently.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Uthor posted:

After awhile you get to the point where you put them on when taking a poo poo.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

After awhile you get to the point where you put them on when taking a poo poo.

You might need more fiber in your diet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Door Frame posted:

Here's one that I feel foolish asking about, but how on earth do I find out the reputability and reliability of not Miller/Lincoln/Hobart welding brands/machines?
Every review is stacked with Amazon affiliate links or is another Harbor Freight clickbait video and it's frustrating to know so little when you're looking at >$2k machines

I'm finding some Everlast TIG welders that are perfectly in my price range, with good enough duty cycles and the necessary features of high AC output and >60hz pulsed DC, but I don't know if there's a good reason that it's nearly $1000 less than a comparable Miller machine. Besides the obvious fact that one is blue and one isn't (or red or orange)

Everlast is a pretty good brand, even semi-professionals like Abom79 use them and seem to like them.

Try welding forums if you want to see a combination of people saying they're the best welders ever, and people saying they're junk and will explode on your second weld :D

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The best dremel attatchment is the diamond cut off wheel. They last forever and will cut through anything cleanly. The fact that they don't explode in your face constantly is a nice bonus.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Everlast is a pretty good brand, even semi-professionals like Abom79 use them and seem to like them.

Try welding forums if you want to see a combination of people saying they're the best welders ever, and people saying they're junk and will explode on your second weld :D

A San Francisco startup making welders scared me a bit, but with 2.5 yesses it sounds like I'm going green

Oh god, I made the mistake of wading into those cesspools before. Since every other poster is a contrarian "master of their craft", so many threads devolve into slap fights over all the minutiae that doesn't line up with the personal biases from their +30 years of experience welding with every process ever imagined

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I was going to get an Everlast for my TIG, since there options->price beat everyone else with decent QC and legible English on the box, then I decided I wanted to "TIG WELD STUFF RIGHT NOW!" and got a Vulcan from Horror Freight.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

So all this green talk made me question myself: I didn’t get the Everlast, I got a Primeweld TIG225x.

I think I read too many reviews.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That looks like it has massive features for the price, it's probably gonna last you a long time too.

I wouldn't stress too much, when affordable inverter welders first came on the market they were all clones of the same product, many people used them happily for many years, until their IGBTs departed this mortal coil.

Don't stress, just weld and be happy https://youtu.be/_KInGWLBwcE

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Oh yeah it’s a great machine, I’m certain to be the weak link for a long time to come. There seem to be several good welders at this ~$800 price point (Everlast, Primeweld, Vulcan, AlphaTIG). I did a lot of research and I think I caught a sale on the Primeweld which helped make the choice. Then I also probably spent another $1000 on all the other poo poo it takes to actually weld something.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
My Wera Tool Check came as an empty box from amazon. Since I did it wrong and noted that I didnt' have a picture as the mailbox received it, they just refunded my money instead of sending me a new one. now they are $90 again.

So if someone steals your tools out of the box before you get them, tell amazon you got the box yourself so they send you a new one instead of just getting your money back.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yeah, I've got this guy queued up, although I wonder if such a high hz DC pulse is worth the extra cash when the max output is only 120A on a 110v power supply
Or maybe it's an embarrassment of riches at that price and I've been spoiled by big 220v machines

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
We have a everlast 285 at work and the board died once under warranty and the foot pedal is poo poo compared to my miller, but other than that its a good machine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

blindjoe posted:

My Wera Tool Check came as an empty box from amazon. Since I did it wrong and noted that I didnt' have a picture as the mailbox received it, they just refunded my money instead of sending me a new one. now they are $90 again.

So if someone steals your tools out of the box before you get them, tell amazon you got the box yourself so they send you a new one instead of just getting your money back.

Wow. That's never happened to me before. Was it an unmarked box? God drat thieving bastards.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ve gotten seemingly intact boxes with nothing in them from Amazon, wouldn’t surprise me if some new guy forgot to put the item in before they taped the box shut.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

For curiosity, depending how it was shipped, see if you track it with the waybill (UPS/FedEx/Mail) and check what it's shipped weight was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Big Taint posted:

I’ve gotten seemingly intact boxes with nothing in them from Amazon, wouldn’t surprise me if some new guy forgot to put the item in before they taped the box shut.

Ive had items get out of boxes before when there was too much give between the parts.