Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Koopa Kid posted:

Thing is I’m in the game, all the animations and things are there and I can emote, in the past when I’ve disconnected it straight up quits on me.

e: I force quit out after about 15 minutes, my draft is still going and the match I was playing is just gone, no win or loss.

I had something similar happen to me the other day. Game stopped responding after I played a Thaumaturge’s Familiar. After a restart I’d been kicked out without registering a win or loss and I didn’t get credit for a game win I’d gotten during the match either.

I sent in a ticket and they refunded me the 1500 gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Does this have competitive legs?
Deck
3 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
6 Swamp (THB) 283
1 Island (THB) 281
4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
5 Plains (THB) 279
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
4 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
4 Alseid of Life's Bounty (THB) 1
3 Lampad of Death's Vigil (THB) 103
4 Banishing Light (THB) 4
4 Shimmerwing Chimera (THB) 64
3 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
1 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Archon of Sun's Grace (THB) 3
3 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37

I know the mana base isn't excellent and I should probably buy the UB lands, but other than that - I like Esper Dance but I've never been desperately satisfied with the low end for it, and particularly how a bad draw just gets it rolled over by small creatures, so the solution of 'add enchantment creatures' seems like a good idea, and the top end having Archon of Sun's Grace also seems like a good alternate win condition/delay condition.

Also, how to sideboard, if so?

What think, thread?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are some weird interactions with Clover that I didn't really consider until I played the deck. Like if you cast Petty Theft with a clover and only one possible target you end up losing your Brazen Borrower. And if you have two clovers in play you can actually kill eg Grim Initiate and the token it spawns after playing Stomp once due to how the triggered ability works.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 24, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah major thing to watch out for is to have valid targets for your duplicated spells at the end.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This was always a fun thing to fiddle with in Golgari because there were some times you actively wanted to fizzle a spell so you could load it into your graveyard for later retreival rather than losing it to the board or the bottom of your deck. It's less useful in Temur though, for sure.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It could be sortof relevant if you're trying to go off with Underworld Breach and Thousand Year Storm.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Does this have competitive legs?
Deck
3 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
6 Swamp (THB) 283
1 Island (THB) 281
4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
5 Plains (THB) 279
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
4 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
3 Lampad of Death's Vigil (THB) 103
4 Banishing Light (THB) 4
4 Shimmerwing Chimera (THB) 64
3 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
1 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
3 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37

I know the mana base isn't excellent and I should probably buy the UB lands, but other than that - I like Esper Dance but I've never been desperately satisfied with the low end for it, and particularly how a bad draw just gets it rolled over by small creatures, so the solution of 'add enchantment creatures' seems like a good idea, and the top end having Archon of Sun's Grace also seems like a good alternate win condition/delay condition.

Also, how to sideboard, if so?

What think, thread?

In the history of Magic, any deck whose plan is to clog the board with small creatures and THEN cast a board wipe have realistically never been good. Between thought erasure for Anax or Heliod, 4 Oath of Kaya, 4 Teferi, 4 Birth of Meletis, Shatter the Sky, you should t be having any trouble with aggro decks at all. Dance of the Manse is weak to other stronger control decks, it should be moonwalking over little creature decks.

-

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
What does this Temur Clover deck do against UG Thassa big stuff? I’ve been toying around with it and I feel good in most matchups but that one I might as well just snap concede because I can’t see a way out of anything they do

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I've been playing clover for a couple weeks now. UW is always a fun and challenging matchup. Between Shadowspear, Spyglass, and people who forget Borrower has flash and can block fliers, you have lots of unexpected ways to screw with Dream Trawler.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kashuno posted:

What does this Temur Clover deck do against UG Thassa big stuff? I’ve been toying around with it and I feel good in most matchups but that one I might as well just snap concede because I can’t see a way out of anything they do

You have to go on the offensive and beat them to death with all your big 3-4 power creatures before you get Krasis’d out of the water, and then you need to Fling them to death G2

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kashuno posted:

Hope you have multiple clovers down. It's not a great matchup because the threats are more consistent with your ways of dealing with them, but multiple clovers (for multiple bounces, stomps, sideboard cards) give you enough value to be able to stall a lot of the time.

Fling is v good at going over the top too.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is it just me or are these event decks very slow, and the black one is way worse.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Bust Rodd posted:

You have to go on the offensive and beat them to death with all your big 3-4 power creatures before you get Krasis’d out of the water, and then you need to Fling them to death G2

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hope you have multiple clovers down. It's not a great matchup because the threats are more consistent with your ways of dealing with them, but multiple clovers (for multiple bounces, stomps, sideboard cards) give you enough value to be able to stall a lot of the time.

Fling is v good at going over the top too.

A lot of people also overlook that the Shadowspear removes indestructible from Thassa. And Thassa is an enchantment that's very vulnerable to Mystic Repeal!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

Is it just me or are these event decks very slow, and the black one is way worse.

I didn't even bother trying the black one, I won my one game with the red/blue one and then moved on.

Ox of Agonas is funny with Mirrormade, but I really shouldn't have been in a position to cast it for the third time.

E: I was pleased that the prize appeared to be double what the graphic said thoguh - it was supposed to be 500XP but I got 1000.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 24, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

AngryBooch posted:

A lot of people also overlook that the Shadowspear removes indestructible from Thassa. And Thassa is an enchantment that's very vulnerable to Mystic Repeal!

The deck is also exceptionally good at stalling if you have the right cards in the sideboard. I've won twice against it by making them essentially self-mill with Krasses and Cavaliers that I repeatedly bounced.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Flicker Agent is the one that worries me most. Krassis and Cavaliers are beatable, but autostealing a permanent a round from like round 5 is hideous.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

E: I was pleased that the prize appeared to be double what the graphic said thoguh - it was supposed to be 500XP but I got 1000.
Doesn't appear to be, you likely finished a quest or miscounted.

Also it's so weird launching a new line of events with something so bland. I was looking forward to something silly to play but putting this up against Artisan is just baffling.

I mean Artisan is actually a pretty terrible format but it's not competitive so you can just fool around and brew nonsense. This is... 1 v 1 brawl with one of the decks being very, very unexciting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I definitely got 1000, and I'd already done my quest for the day. Maybe it came from somewhere else though.

I don't mind having more brawl available, even with precons, but I've spent most of the afternoon messing around with Selesnya Auras on the play queue, which is hella fun, but I can't work out if it's actually good.

I'm slightly obsessed with finding a good Constellation list at the moment.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

thespaceinvader posted:

I dunno if it's good but the one with green setessan card draw dude and paradise druids that are enchanted a zillion times is really fun. It's usually selesnya but I think bant could be good too

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not bad for a deck with 4 nonland rares. It gets out of hand hilariously quickly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK how does this look?

2 Castle Embereth
18 Mountain

4 Embercleave
4 Robber
4 Anax
4 Scorch Spitter
4 Cavalcade
4 Bonecrusher
4 Light up the Stage
4 Tin Street Dodger
4 Torbran
4 Chandra's Spitfire

My gut instinct is not enough removal but IDK what to take out for Shocks. I'm also not maximizing Cavalcade but that may not matter? Is that a good amount of land? Is Runaway Steamkin absolutely necessary? How good is it really?

Fellow Cleave players please help!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A lot of the current RDW variants have no real removal besides Bonecrusher. You just run over the opponent and curve out without needing it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely think the deck is better without Cavalcade. Cut the Tin Street Dodger’s for Fervent Champs and the Cavalcades into Steamkin.

The reason I don’t like Cavalcade is because against any deck that wants to wipe your bird, that Turn 2 could represent far, far more damage if it were a creature than if it were an enchantment.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is Spitfire good without Cavalcade though? I don't play a lot of mono-red but I'd have thought that if you cut Cavalcade you'd take Spitfire out too. The only other triggers I see in that list are Stomp and Scorch Spitter which doesn't seem like enough to make it worthwhile

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

thespaceinvader posted:

Tuned for the mono red matchup in best of one but has a sideboard.

quote:

Deck
3 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
3 Glaring Aegis (M20) 18
4 Season of Growth (M20) 191
4 All That Glitters (ELD) 2
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Karametra's Blessing (THB) 26
4 Sentinel's Eyes (THB) 36
4 Setessan Champion (THB) 198
4 Warbriar Blessing (THB) 204
7 Plains (THB) 278
6 Forest (THB) 287

Sideboard
3 Apostle of Purifying Light (M20) 6
2 Devout Decree (M20) 13
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Hushbringer (ELD) 18
3 Mystic Repeal (THB) 180

PVDDR played this a month ago, and I dont remember how he did with it.

quote:

Deck
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Season of Growth (M20) 191
4 All That Glitters (ELD) 2
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Karametra's Blessing (THB) 26
4 Sentinel's Eyes (THB) 36
2 Transcendent Envoy (THB) 40
4 Setessan Champion (THB) 198
4 Setessan Training (THB) 201
3 Bronzehide Lion (THB) 210
2 Temple of Plenty (THB) 248
8 Plains (THB) 278
7 Forest (THB) 287

Sideboard
3 Apostle of Purifying Light (M20) 6
2 Devout Decree (M20) 13
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Hushbringer (ELD) 18
3 Mystic Repeal (THB) 180

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK how does this look?

2 Castle Embereth
18 Mountain

4 Embercleave
4 Robber
4 Anax
4 Scorch Spitter
4 Cavalcade
4 Bonecrusher
4 Light up the Stage
4 Tin Street Dodger
4 Torbran
4 Chandra's Spitfire

My gut instinct is not enough removal but IDK what to take out for Shocks. I'm also not maximizing Cavalcade but that may not matter? Is that a good amount of land? Is Runaway Steamkin absolutely necessary? How good is it really?

Fellow Cleave players please help!

My list is

4 Fervent Champion
4 Scorch Spitter
4 Shock
4 Robber
2 Rimrock
4 Steamkin
4 Anax
3 Bonecrusher
3 Light up the stage
3 Embercleave
3 Torbran

4 Castle Embereth
18 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Redcap Melee
4 Lava Coil
4 Unchained Berserker
2 Chandra
2 Tibalt/Experimental Frenzy

I think this build is stronger than the cavalcade/spitfire list, for the reasons already cited. I personally like having shocks in the list because people don't expect it and you can pick off some early drops or dome them to get over the top in a pinch but you could easily cut them and round out whatever else. 21-22 lands feels optimal - nothing worse than having a Torb or an Embercleave in hand that would get you through for lethal and whiffing on a land drop. YMMV.

However if you don't have the wildcards for whatever you're missing then the cavalcade build is still very good and will get you lots of wins.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 25, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Turpitude posted:

I dunno if it's good but the one with green setessan card draw dude and paradise druids that are enchanted a zillion times is really fun. It's usually selesnya but I think bant could be good too

Yeah this is the core of it.

Bugsy posted:

Tuned for the mono red matchup in best of one but has a sideboard.

PVDDR played this a month ago, and I dont remember how he did with it.

I think maybe Aegis was the thing I was missing, in addition to enough Setessan Champions.

The lion is an excellent direction setter and a 3/3 for 2 is never bad, but it's not actually all that useful in context, so that's probably what I drop.

I also don't feel like Sentinel's Eyes is something you want much more than two of, because unlike most things you want lots of, it's recurrable.

The Giant Hexproof Trampler was the inspiration for trying to make this work, but I really want to try to see if I can find some way to add blue to it given that Shimmerwing Chimera, Staggering Insight amd so forth are so good.

E: on monored I still have way better luck with Cavalcade and Spitfire than with Steamkin in Bo1. Steamkin goes off like crazy when it goes off at all, but is limp as poo poo when they have removal, whereas enchantment removal is relatively rarer, and cavalcade continues to be good even if all it's doing is doubling the power of whatever little weenie you slapped down this turn, or making Anax's leavings better. And it's not just Spitfire that makes it go off either, Torbran also combos with it very effectively. Bo3 is a different ballgame though, given that it's much more easily sideboarded against than Steamkin.

So it really depends what game you want to play.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 25, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely think the deck is better without Cavalcade. Cut the Tin Street Dodger’s for Fervent Champs and the Cavalcades into Steamkin.

The reason I don’t like Cavalcade is because against any deck that wants to wipe your bird, that Turn 2 could represent far, far more damage if it were a creature than if it were an enchantment.

poo poo I forgot about Fervent Champion! poo poo!

Yeah I think you're right. I really like the idea of Steamkin just for the potential extra mana to flood the board. I just don't want to spend the wildcards to get 4 :/

I might put something else in their slot and see how it works. My Heliod aggro deck took a week or two before I got it how I want it and this shouldn't be much different.

Mat Cauthon posted:

My list is

4 Fervent Champion
4 Scorch Spitter
4 Shock
4 Robber
2 Rimrock
4 Steamkin
4 Anax
3 Bonecrusher
3 Light up the stage
3 Embercleave
3 Torbran

4 Castle Embereth
18 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Redcap Melee
4 Lava Coil
4 Unchained Berserker
2 Chandra
2 Tibalt/Experimental Frenzy

I think this build is stronger than the cavalcade/spitfire list, for the reasons already cited. I personally like having shocks in the list because people don't expect it and you can pick off some early drops or dome them to get over the top in a pinch but you could easily cut them and round out whatever else. 21-22 lands feels optimal - nothing worse than having a Torb or an Embercleave in hand that would get you through for lethal and whiffing on a land drop. YMMV.

However if you don't have the wildcards for whatever you're missing then the cavalcade build is still very good and will get you lots of wins.

Thanks for the different take. I'll try something like this too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Steamkin is mainly good because it's a 4/4 for 2, the extra mana (that you mostly just use on spells that crank it back up to 4) is gravy.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Steamkin is a bit of a nonbo with cavalcade so don't bother with it for that list, and the non-cavalcade decks are stronger anyway. Just pick one of the many RDW from Worlds and put one together.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is the bo3 rdw I use

4 castle embereth
16 mountain
4 scorch spitter
4 fervent champions
2 Boulder rush/rimrock knight
4 shock
2 stomp/bonecrusher giant
4 steamkin
4 robber of the rich
4 light up the stage
4 anax
4 embercleave
4 torbran

For the sideboard you will want:

m20 rare Chandra for when you're on the play against something you need to go wide against

Experimental frenzy for when you need to play the control deck or on the draw

Unchained beserker for any matchups with white

Lava coil so you can kill bigger stuff or exile if you're in a creature heavy match. Swap this for shocks.

I carry 4 of all of them except the rare m20 Chandra which I only carry 3 of.

I usually will board out rimrock unless I'm on the play and need to go very fast.

I swap shock for some number of lava coil usually, or if I'm in a control matchup with white I usually dump em for the beserker.

Experimental frenzy is for when you're in a match and know you'll be the less aggro deck. I usually dump my rimrock knight or bonecrusher giant in that case.

do not for any reason sideboard out your torbrans or embercleave unless you're positive. these are your combo pieces and you want as many chances to draw them as possible. Only scenario where I'd advise it is if you're up against a rogue Simic flash deck and want to play around a counter.

Anyway, hope that helps folks make a nice bo3 RDW. I've gotten into platinum twice now with it, lemme know how it goes.

Edit: I also made a bo1 version of this that cuts 2 mountains for 2 infuriate. It relies on the hand smoothing algorithm to work, don't ever try the bo1 version in bo3!

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 25, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah I'm having a lot of fun with Swole Druids. Thanks for the advice all. Big Selesnya is kind of where I started, it's nice t get back to it.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
What set would you guys consider to have the ugliest basic lands on arena?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The regular Theros (not the nyx version) Lands look like complete doo doo imo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Theros is one of the best draft formats in a long time imo, there are only a couple of really dumb bombs and most games feature a good mix of interaction and creature combat. Escape makes mill effects more interesting, when normally they are just on an entirely different axis and can be frustrating from both sides of the table.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Question for anyone who's gotten a Mythic Qualifier: at what point are you comfortable to not play anymore and just qualify by the end of the season? Through a combination of stupidly lucky breaks, I got up to 150 with a combination of Mono Red and Temur Reclamation, then yoyo-ed a bit and am at 458 as of this post. With three days left, is it fine to just leave the ranked matches be? I would assume so, but I also don't know if there's a huge rush of people playing at the end of the season to qualify or not.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
calix dance is pretty fun, and has a ~50%ish rate in bo1 against RDW. haven't really played it in bo3 but i feel like it has a lot of good answers once it survives to t4 or so.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just decided to give this game a go.
Last time I played magic, my secret weapon was my superior understanding of the difference between instant and interrupt. So my knowledge is a bit outdated.

I am trying to unlock those two-color starter decks right now. Are there cross wheel starter decks hidden somewhere? Like red-blue.
Also, is modifying the starter decks a good place to start on deck building?

While googling that, I stumbled on the official howto post for the tutorial, and it gave me 18 free boosters. Shouldn't that sort of thing be in the OP, or are 18 boosters worth a lot less then they seem?
From how I understand the gatcha mechanics, I should unlock all the starter decks before opening those boosters. Is that true?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Last time I played magic, my secret weapon was my superior understanding of the difference between instant and interrupt. So my knowledge is a bit outdated.

I am trying to unlock those two-color starter decks right now. Are there cross wheel starter decks hidden somewhere? Like red-blue.

While googling that, I stumbled on the official howto post for the tutorial, and it gave me 18 free boosters. Shouldn't that sort of thing be in the OP, or are 18 boosters worth a lot less then they seem?
From how I understand the gatcha mechanics, I should unlock all the starter decks before opening those boosters. Is that true?

There's a third ring of starter decks outside the initial monocolours and ally-coloured ones, yes, you need to finish the requisitie number of games first with each starter deck to open the next ones connected to it IIRC. Doesn't take long and you can do most of it against the bot.

Yes, yougain a little bit by waiting to open the free bosters until after you've unlocked the starter decks, as the starter decks will fill you up on some uncommons, but it doesn't make much difference for the rares/mythics, because the duplicate protection on opening packs stops you getting anything you already have until you have literally all of that rarity from that set, and I'm pretty sure none of the starter decks contain a full playset of any of the rare/mythics, but I could be wrong, it's been a while.

There's no need to do it before you'e unlocked all of them anyway.

The starter decks are OK, but only OK, they're really not where you want to be if you're playing long-term, and they're not even really good starting points for the current meta.

It'll take you a while before you can keep up with the current meta though; it needs a LOT of rare/mythic, which largely come from the whildcard wheels you get when opening packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

VictualSquid posted:

Here is a list that is often updated for free codes: https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/d9x4ul/updated_all_mtga_promo_codes_todate/

A while back amazon/twitch had a code for a free deck with fairly decent cards. It looks like it's not up anymore but if something comes up again feel free to pm me and I'll give you my code.