Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

who the gently caress are those characters

are they simpsons characters dressed up as marvel parodies

i cant place any of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
What corner is the joke in?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
someone's going to make an "incredible bulk" joke about Homer

there's no way that episode isn't going to be full of the most predictable avengers puns

Montague Tigg fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 26, 2020

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Hidden in the top-right corner:

Introducing Kevin Feige as "Chinnos"

I knew it would be a bad Thanos parody, but Chinnos...

edit: Chinnos is holding a mobile phone. I can't even begin to imagine how bad this will be. He needs to install the 6 power apps? I'm sure Feige's acting will knock it out of the park.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 26, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

finalellipsis posted:

someone's going to make at "incredible bulk" joke about Homer

there's no way that episode isn't going to be full of the most predictable avengers puns

They already made this joke in the show with a whole episode leading up to Homer becoming the Hulk, and again in the comics (maybe before, I forget) where he turns into a Hulk analogue when everyone in Springfield gets superpowers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Hidden in the top-right corner:

Introducing Kevin Feige as "Chinnos"

I knew it would be a bad Thanos parody, but Chinnos...

edit: Chinnos is holding a mobile phone. I can't even begin to imagine how bad this will be. He needs to install the 6 power apps? I'm sure Feige's acting will knock it out of the park.

The Infinity Phone(s) is a good pun, but this is the Simpsons, so that would probably never get used.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is it too late for the Simpsons to double down on SOME GIZMO jokes

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
"wakan-DUH" - the simpsons, probably

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Iron Crowned posted:

The Infinity Phone(s) is a good pun, but this is the Simpsons, so that would probably never get used.

...it is?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Compared to the quality of jokes/puns on modern Simpsons, I'd say it is

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Eh! Frank posted:

Compared to the quality of jokes/puns on modern Simpsons, I'd say it is

I mean we'll probably get "minfinity mones" at best

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already made this joke in the show with a whole episode leading up to Homer becoming the Hulk, and again in the comics (maybe before, I forget) where he turns into a Hulk analogue when everyone in Springfield gets superpowers

I’m pretty sure this happened in the Family Guy crossover too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I’m pretty sure this happened in the Family Guy crossover too

That was technically an episode of Family Guy, as the Simpsons staff will tell everyone any time its brought up as though that absolves them of their crimes.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
I love how the only MCU actor they could get was Cobie Smulders.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The most hosed up thing is that all the replies to that tweet are people excited to watch the episode

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'll give em this, the Simpsons does keep coming up with creative ways to be more and more awful and irrelevant much longer than i thought they could

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean we'll probably get "minfinity mones" at best

The entire episode is a vehicle for a cameo callback of the burlesque photographer that renamed her business to "Infinity Moans"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

In 10 years we will get an episode about Moe being the Joker

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fried Watermelon posted:

In 10 years we will get an episode about Moe being the Joker

"You wanna know how I got this bar?"

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Empty Sandwich posted:

Kind of surprised that seems to never have been covered, though it looks like it was done in the comics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Daikloktos posted:

Kind of surprised that seems to never have been covered, though it looks like it was done in the comics.

"You want to know how I got this bar rag?"

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Moe%27s_Bar_Rag

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I keep seeing this loving recommendation on YouTube for a way too long essay about "jerkass Homer"

I propose he was always a piece of poo poo it's just we were actual children when we watched the show regularly 2 decades ago

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SeXReX posted:

I keep seeing this loving recommendation on YouTube for a way too long essay about "jerkass Homer"

I propose he was always a piece of poo poo it's just we were actual children when we watched the show regularly 2 decades ago

2 decades ago was years after the show had already poo poo the bed

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

lol of course the lowest of all time is lisa goes gaga

i'm curious about that episode but not quite curious enough to actually watch it

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Riptor posted:

2 decades ago was years after the show had already poo poo the bed

... my god, you're right...

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

YeahTubaMike posted:

lol of course the lowest of all time is lisa goes gaga

i'm curious about that episode but not quite curious enough to actually watch it
It's not any more egregious than the other celebrity dickride episodes, and there's a fun hook where the skewed reality of Springfield renders Gaga as lightly supernatural, crying diamond tears and her coming portended by chickens laying glitter eggs. If they'd had the balls to stick the ending - she comes to Springfield to cheer Lisa up, and in the penultimate scene Lisa goes off on how obnoxious she is and realizes "Hey... hurting you, makes me feel good!". Alas, she runs in ten seconds later to apologize and then Dan Castellaneta sings "Ho-Ho-Ho-Homerface" over the credits. Even so, I'll take it a hundred times over "The Musk Who Fell To Earth".

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Actually no, no, no no no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox6xBqlRl9o

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

jesus christ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Is it too late for the Simpsons to double down on SOME GIZMO jokes

Even bad episodes of the Simpsons iirc tended to be surprisingly on the ball about technology; the early seasons had very 90s depictions of absurdly violent games that kids love which is fair enough given it was the heyday of Mortal Kombat and Carmageddon, one of the dotcom bubble episodes has online cartoons that are pretty apropos for the era of early Newgrounds-style stuff, and even the MMO episode which does the usual things of mixing up Everquest style games and Second Life (to be fair some games deliberately blur that line) doesn't seem too off the ball. And the good old days have video games used as vehicles for jokes, like My Dinner With Andre. (and Stickball) Homer's computer-illiteracy is always played for laughs, but he's honestly better than a lot of boomers.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

Nah. He went from being mostly well-meaning, albeit lazy and short-tempered, to overtly mean and with malice or being super oblivious to it. You see the earliest signs of jerkass Homer in season 8, but it wasn't really until the Mike Scully era that it got really bad. The first episode I remember hating because of this was The Joy of Sect.

Homer isn't a jerkass in modern episodes, but that alone is certainly not enough to make them worth watching.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Empty Sandwich posted:

god drat it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Lisa decides to write a school essay about Frink, who is about to launch Frinkcoin. He plays her a long video of Jim Parsons explaining what cryptocurrency is. The new coin is an instant hit that makes Frink rich, but it's not really explained how at all. Despite throwing in the video, I don't think they know how cryptocurrency works.

Frink finds his new riches don't make him happy because he's lonely, so he befriends Homer and his buddies. There is a montage set to Frink singing a "Putting on the Ritz" parody about throwing money around.

Burns hears that Frink is now the richest man in town and gets pissed. (Smithers sounds weird now.) He hires the town nerds to build Burnscoin. But eventually the nerds tell him it can't be done and his best chance is to solve the hash, which would take 9,000 years. Burns throws the equation on a whiteboard expecting someone to Good Will Hunting it. This somehow leads to a "Three Billboards" joke about Chief Wiggum and a joke about how Patty and Selma can't smoke since they moved to Disney (they put on mouse ears).

Burns settles for telling Frink that all his new friends are leaches and being rich means you'll never know if anyone really likes you.

Frink starts tightening up and finds his new friends disappear, so he solves the equation in the middle of town. Burns is overjoyed to again be the richest man in a town of 32,000, which I think is the first time they've revealed Springfield's population.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Lisa decides to write a school essay about Frink, who is about to launch Frinkcoin. He plays her a long video of Jim Parsons explaining what cryptocurrency is. The new coin is an instant hit that makes Frink rich, but it's not really explained how at all. Despite throwing in the video, I don't think they know how cryptocurrency works.

Neither do the most enthusiastic users of cryptocurrency, so.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Neither do the most enthusiastic users of cryptocurrency, so.

Yeah the video was like Jim Parsons reading the Wikipedia entry for cryptocurrency. And then there's just a news report about how rich Frink is now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Daikloktos posted:

"The Musk Who Fell To Earth".

Ugh, I swear every other word in that episode was "ELONMUSK" I will never scrub Lisa exclaiming it out of my brain

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even bad episodes of the Simpsons iirc tended to be surprisingly on the ball about technology [....]

My first "holy poo poo, the Simpsons predicted this" moment was after watching S01E06, "Moaning Lisa." In the B-plot video game, Bart does a finishing move that knocks off the other player's head. In early 1990, we found that joke hilarious and absurd.

Then, two years later, Mortal Kombat was released.

The satire on the Simpsons used to be so cutting-edge it was predictive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Empty Sandwich posted:

My first "holy poo poo, the Simpsons predicted this" moment was after watching S01E06, "Moaning Lisa." In the B-plot video game, Bart does a finishing move that knocks off the other player's head. In early 1990, we found that joke hilarious and absurd.

Then, two years later, Mortal Kombat was released.

The satire on the Simpsons used to be so cutting-edge it was predictive.

Okay, impressive for it being before Mortal Kombat.

I think it might be a case where especially in early seasons they know that a good chunk of the audience is going to be kids and families who are entirely familiar with video games (and of course, nerds) and so it's both better and much funnier to depict them accurately. (or clearly deliberately inaccurately)

Actually, while children's cartoons and adult's live action TV from that era both tended to be jarringly bad at depicting video games realisticaly, the niche of adult-oriented cartoons tends not to be, King of the Hill and South Park are usually fairly accurate.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Peggy hill didn't want to be married to a gamer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I always wanted to play Larry the Looter, or Escape from Grandma's House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Iron Crowned posted:

I always wanted to play Larry the Looter, or Escape from Grandma's House

Can I interest you in “Virtual Springfield”?