Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I said the same thing :v:

You'd be shocked how fast you can go from "who would pay $50 for a Lego toy?" to "for $600 that's a pretty good price to part ratio" lol

Yep. What is the emoji for the guy throwing $$ in the air. Fuckin' Lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Don’t know that one off the top of my head but I do know :retrogames:

Fake edit, luckily wasn’t too far down the list: :homebrew:

That’s pretty much what the Ferrari was. Not a big Ferrari guy but it was there and felt like a proper pairing to the Lambo. That’ll also be my excuse for the Jaguar set if I get that, need another dumb fast SUV to go with the Urus. Then I’ll need an F1 car to go with the Formula E Jag.

And Saturn V and ISS. And X-Wing. And

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

:homebrew: just needs a stack of Lego next to it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I've been sorting my collection for the first time over the past week or so, and it's been very interesting to see how Lego sets have changed over the years. The first two bins I've sorted through were ones comprising of mostly sets from the last decade. Tons of tiles, snot bricks, slopes, various plates, and surprisingly few actual blocks. The third and final bin I've been sorting through contains mostly sets from my childhood in the mid 90s to early 2000s, and there's barely any slopes or snot pieces, hardly any tiles, and an abundance of unique pieces and blocks. However, the older pieces tend to be much more colorful, although admittedly that could be more the fault of me mostly going for star wars sets over the past several years.

There were also way more transparent pieces in the older bin, which is a shame cus they own. I have yet to find a single cheese slope in the older bin, as well.

E: the old rubber bionicle masks have warped and don't fit on the skulls anymore :(

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2020

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

tomapot posted:

Or me but add in scanning Craigslist and Letgo for used sets or collections. “Hey that bucket looks like it has a snowspeeder canopy in it mixed in with ninjago. Let me see if I can get it cheap enough.” Buy it, sort it, rebuild sets, sell superfluous stuff, keep the stuff I want. That’s I wound up with 8 snowspeeders and 50 Hoth minifigs.

For a while I would refresh new ebay buy it now listings and pick up the ridiculously cheap stuff ("Oh the 200$ technic excavator for 70? Ok I could use a third one for parts". I stopped fairly quickly because there were just so many crazy deals and I was spending so much and had no real need for more parts.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I've been sorting my collection for the first time over the past week or so, and it's been very interesting to see how Lego sets have changed over the years. The first two bins I've sorted through were ones comprising of mostly sets from the last decade. Tons of tiles, snot bricks, slopes, various plates, and surprisingly few actual blocks. The third and final bin I've been sorting through contains mostly sets from my childhood in the mid 90s to early 2000s, and there's barely any slopes or snot pieces, hardly any tiles, and an abundance of unique pieces and blocks. However, the older pieces tend to be much more colorful, although admittedly that could be more the fault of me mostly going for star wars sets over the past several years.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. My main interest is vintage Lego, especially Space, and that's one of the things I love about it - how colourful the themes were. I think that part of it is that there weren't a lot of colours back then so Lego mostly stuck with bright primary colours. These days there's a much larger range of colours so you get a lot more realism and subtlety, but IMO some of the charm of older sets/themes is lost. And yeah, collecting Star Wars doesn't help. There's so much grey in SW and frankly it's pretty boring.

I will say, even though I love the vintage themes, I find myself pretty dissatisfied with the actual sets since even the big ones are pretty simple and basic by modern standards so I prefer making MOCs these days. Stuff like Neo-Classic Space is awesome.

quote:

There were also way more transparent pieces in the older bin, which is a shame cus they own. I have yet to find a single cheese slope in the older bin, as well.

Not surprised about that, cheese slopes were introduced in 2004.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm surprised Lego hasn't tried remaking the old space-Tron sets with modern pieces and building styles, throw in ice planet sets too, why not. It's fun comparing new versions of star wars sets, I would figure Lego would try to get some nostalgia money from people.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

I'm surprised Lego hasn't tried remaking the old space-Tron sets with modern pieces and building styles, throw in ice planet sets too, why not. It's fun comparing new versions of star wars sets, I would figure Lego would try to get some nostalgia money from people.

They literally just realized this year that AFOL are 10% of all sales. So they are a bit slow on the uptake.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Walmart has 75254 on sale for $40. Cara Dune and the Mandalorian make a cool addition to the AT-ST.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Benny's Spaceship from The Lego Movie is a great example of how you can update the vintage stuff to a modern style while still keeping what was great about the theme in the first place. I think that Lego could do pretty well out of the occasional updated throwback set, even if it was a limited thing and not an entire theme.

Scipiotik posted:

They literally just realized this year that AFOL are 10% of all sales. So they are a bit slow on the uptake.

Sure, but that also implies that 90% of their sales are to kids. I can understand wanting to focus on that part of the market.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I had totally forgotten about the toothed technic pieces which seemed to have been phased out around '97.

There any kind of list of pieces that Lego no longer uses? I find them oddly fascinating.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I don't believe so. You'd have to go through parts lists and figure out when parts were changed over. It doesn't help that occasionally a part will show up in a set after not being used at all for several years.

That said, I mentioned that I like vintage Lego so I probably know more than most about old parts. Any parts in particular you're curious about?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bricklink lists the years the part showed up in sets for every single piece, so in theory the data is out there. The hard part is whether they provide an API (which I don't think they do for generic database queries).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I had totally forgotten about the toothed technic pieces which seemed to have been phased out around '97.

There any kind of list of pieces that Lego no longer uses? I find them oddly fascinating.

These hinges are no longer used.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I found a couple of those while sorting older parts, and yeah I was curious about those. I liked the tentacle-like arms they could produce, like in the Aquanaut sets. I also miss the yellow octagon bricks, a few of which I've stumbled onto while sorting.

Also man, I miss some of the rad underwater sets. The stingrays had some cool as hell sets.

I found a super rare mini fig! With stickers for its body!!

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 24, 2020

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Those arms are actually a different kind of part:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3612#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}
That's the basic one, but there are a few different kinds.

They were originally arms for the brick-built figs from the 70s, and then used as grabber arms in Space and Aquazone sets (and a few others). I think the Insectoids sets from 1998/1999 were the last to use them. They were kind of fragile and most of the ones I have from my childhood are broken.

By the way, that fig is not Lego.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah it is. I got a box of Lego that had 3 in it. And my uncle has like 100 of them!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

:ssh: It was a joke about how obvious of a knock-off it is, and how tremendously ugly it is

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Good, I was hoping that. It can be really difficult to interpret tone in text over the internet

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like a lego blow up doll as a thumbnail.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Good, I was hoping that. It can be really difficult to interpret tone in text over the internet

AI account spotted. Good luck on your next Turing Test metal breath.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how many iterations the sentai ranger had to go through to not be copyright infringing.

My first thought was Viewtiful Joe.
Just remove the visor, the sword and add a scarf.

Cojawfee posted:

Any idea why? I loved those things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Any idea why? I loved those things.

My guess is durability. The forks break relatively easily and even if they don't break they get loose and have trouble holding their position.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a bunch of those types of connections left over from my childhood collection and none of them have broken. It's good to have some around since you need them to connect an entire era of canopies and windows.

I guess Lego just decided the clicking joints were better, which for the most part they are, but the old ones are less visually distracting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've got many broken ones. I guess I just play harder. :v:

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

tomapot posted:

:homebrew: just needs a stack of Lego next to it.

:denmark:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Most of my old hinges are ok, but there are a few broken ones and I can understand why Lego phased them out.

At least those two/three finger hinges were better than the original kind:

With those, if one part breaks, then the whole thing is hosed. At least with the two/three finger version, if one breaks the hinge is still usable.

Click hinges are great, but I didn't like how Lego used them almost exclusively in the mid 2000s since they were often kind of ugly. Compare the old train wagon gate with the click-hinge version for example:
vs

I think Lego's got the right idea these days by using a mix of click hinges, Technic connections and clips/bars for that kind of thing.

E: forgot about these guys:

They've been around since the 70s so Lego got the design right on them the first time.

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 25, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Wow, had no idea about the hinge thing. Neato!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

If you flip one side and attach a plate to the top of each you can make something as tall as a brick, but with studs on both sides. A cool technique, IMO.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
There are more to hinge variations than just durability:

The 3937 3938 pair have the same center of rotation as e.g. 30383 + 44302 (lots of variations of this pair) (e.g. 92280 + 26047/60478/18649)
But the horizontal hinge-pairs 3831 3830 does not have the same center of rotation as e.g. 30540 + 30541

This fact can be used creatively if for example creating a curved wall and one pair of hinges does not harmonize with the baseplate studs then the other pair might.

Also remember that not all hinges are in the "hinge" category on Bricklink, some are in the Plate Modified or Brick Modified categories. (e.g. 26047, 61252, 11476 etc)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 25, 2020

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Def need the keytar guy

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Ineptitude posted:

There are more to hinge variations than just durability:
Alternate connection possibilities are big!

Female click hinges, such as 44302b, can also be connected to clips like 61252.

As mentioned before, old-school finger hinge plates can be connected upside-down to each other to create a stud inversion that is 1 plate thick. Click hinges (as well as clip-and-bar connections) will also create a stud inversion when connected upside-down to each other, but at a 1/2 plate vertical offset. This can be handy when you need to flip something upside-down to align with, say, a sideways brick. I use this trick a lot on cars with 60470b + 48336.

You can also get a half-plate stagger with a height of (approximately) 1 plate by connecting the above 44302b to a 44567b. You can also make this even flatter by connecting 4276 to 2452, but not being a click hinge, it won't hold flat unless reinforced by something. These connections are handy in places that are too flat to use jumper plates or 3176.

So there you go. Aside from articulation, hinges are great for inversions, 1/2 plate vertical offsets, and 1/2 stud horizontal offsets.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s nice, I’ll take it!

Why is Lego making Mr. Bean's car?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
why not

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They already made Mr Bean’s car years ago. It was the Mini Cooper. This is Lupin III’s car.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Hey, look at this dumbass car. 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition.

It's a Chrysler-branded muscle car, available only through the Chrysler dealers network. It was a Hurst collaboration, except Hurst never did any of the mechanical upgrades they were initially going to - oil pans, shifters, etc. They did bodywork and paint only. Chrysler expected Hurst to promote it, and Hurst expected Chrysler to promote it, so few even knew it existed. It had a big engine and poo poo but it was about 19 feet long and over 2 tons so lol.

At least it looks cool. Also, super plush interior. Very comfortable.

It was pretty fun figuring out the hood bulge, the overhanging rear fenders, and the integrated spoiler. I actually really enjoyed this one.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, look at this dumbass car. 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition.

It was pretty fun figuring out the hood bulge, the overhanging rear fenders, and the integrated spoiler. I actually really enjoyed this one.

I really like the hood work you did.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Where is the Mr. Bean?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Red posted:

Where is the Mr. Bean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

You can't fool me, that's Joey.