Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Nice piece of fish posted:

First: you are loving cool.

Second: why the hell is DV your editor?

They offered to and gave me lots of helpful edits. They were incredibly nice about it too.

Son of Rodney posted:

Cool guide, glad to see some people are still level headed about this.

One thing: you recommend washing your hands for 30 seconds. While this is what I know should be done, it is very hard to keep doing as it's quite long. What's the effect of washing your hands for a shorter time?

I'm not sure. I'll have to look into this. I'm guessing it's effective but not as effective. The advice I was given was to sing happy birthday to yourself twice while washing your hands as that's about 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rosalind posted:

I did think about this, but the relationship is less clear than that. Handwashing does seem to be optimal; however, people are pretty bad at washing their hands regularly and for the appropriate amount of time. Hand sanitizer may be a more acceptable and less disruptive alternative that still prevents the spread of disease. I think advocating for practicing regular hand hygiene is more important than recommending a specific type of hand hygiene right now.

This makes sense. Is there any consensus on the transmissibility of this virus from surfaces? I'm thinking about situations where someone puts down their (contaminated) phone, washes their hands, then promptly picks up their phone and recontaminates their hands all over again.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Rosalind posted:

There's been a lot of scary talk of coronavirus this week (some of it in this thread). I'm an epidemiologist so I wrote up a brief no-fearmongering guide to coronavirus for everyone. I will try to keep it updated as new information/news comes out. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I should add!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Qr3rDNIInT9QRmN2GKyo_EY2r3psBshsdL7J8po_i4/edit?usp=sharing

When the CDC said to expect "severe disruption" to daily life, did they mean just in regards to nonpharmaceutical interventions, being put into place? and since they weren't specific, what kind of stuff should we expect? Will they stop people from riding the bus without a mask, or ask that people do not leave their homes several times a day? Will there be door to door temperature checking like what they are doing in Bejing for residents?

It's just super vague, "severe disruption" could mean anything, and hopefully just an idea of what to expect might calm people down from buying all the canned beans in 7/11.

quote:

There is no evidence of it spreading within the United States currently--all US cases originated outside the US.

Again referring to the press release from the CDC last night, they said that community spread, or the virus spreading inside the US as being a matter of when. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, it's literally what they said. Given that analysis, what would be your advice for when the virus hits [your local town/city]. Is an uber more preferable than a bus, is walking better, is it better to shop in person or order online and risk having someone grocery store worker cough on your food. There is a lot that isn't clear, and the current advice seems to be all geared towards people who have recently traveled.

Lots of people in the thread here seem kinda scared and there is just not enough information about what to do when it comes to your personal area.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

I'm not sure. I'll have to look into this. I'm guessing it's effective but not as effective. The advice I was given was to sing happy birthday to yourself twice while washing your hands as that's about 30 seconds.

I tried this and Warner lawyers popped into the bathroom to serve me notice and now I owe them $5,000,000. Am I allowed to cough on them as self defence?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

At this point we should all continue to be goons and just poo poo our pants about it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Cool guide, glad to see some people are still level headed about this.

One thing: you recommend washing your hands for 30 seconds. While this is what I know should be done, it is very hard to keep doing as it's quite long. What's the effect of washing your hands for a shorter time?

Sing the happy birthday song twice in your head and don't stop washing until it's over

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Nurge posted:

I tried this and Warner lawyers popped into the bathroom to serve me notice and now I owe them $5,000,000. Am I allowed to cough on them as self defence?

those lawyers must have come through a time machine from when the virus didn't exist, so coughing on them is unlikely to be effective

or maybe it's super effective, try it and find out

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rosalind posted:

They offered to and gave me lots of helpful edits. They were incredibly nice about it too.

Yes, yes... that's how he gets you, it's all peaches and cream in the beginning and then before you know it you're arguing about the definition of a syllable at three in the morning. They say the demon inside him can never rest. Or maybe I'm thinking about somebody else.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
So of course this virus crisis happens exactly as I leave Europe to dick around in South East Asia for a few months, a trip years in the making :v:
Not really afraid of the illness, as I am a happy healthy young adult, but I'm worried of the authorities shutting down everything in a fit of panic. How likely is that?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Chikimiki posted:

So of course this virus crisis happens exactly as I leave Europe to dick around in South East Asia for a few months, a trip years in the making :v:
Not really afraid of the illness, as I am a happy healthy young adult, but I'm worried of the authorities shutting down everything in a fit of panic. How likely is that?

how long are you there for, which countries?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Two confirmed cases in Vancouver now. Second case was in contact with the first case. It begins...

Plus I saw them wheeling someone around on a gurney, in full contact precautions mode. Even getting everyone out of the hallway as they passed, which is not usual practice. Maybe they just had a bad case of liquid-butt, or MRSA, but who knows....

Confirmed now that the two cases in Vancouver are at my hospital, and the person I saw yesterday being wheeled around was one of the cases.

Welp... nice knowing you guys. It's been a trip.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Confirmed now that the two cases in Vancouver are at my hospital, and the person I saw yesterday being wheeled around was one of the cases.

on the bright side, liquid lung sounds better than liquid butt

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You might be one of the lucky ones in the ICU when they still have staff, supplies and equipment! Lucky you!

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Got my masks today so just want to say a big gently caress you to everyone else. I'm 100% safe forever.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
And before you ask, yes, I am working on a way to suck dick through the mask.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Just use one of those PVC home intubation kits

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does the virus spread sexually?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Our plan is kinda one of stages.

1) Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing and improved hygienic habits. View large crowd gatherings as risk/reward scenarios.

2) Spreading begins stateside: Telecommute. Shelter in place mostly. Social distancing and Light PPE when in public. Establish decon station in garage w/ crude "scrub station" to keep inside home "clear". Stage 2 bins with important personal items, have 2 large bins ready for clothes (Odds: Likely)

3) Spreading begins locally: Firm shelter in place. Stage clothes, supplies & be prepared to roll to a buddy's house on short notice. IF either of us needs to leave, full PPE and scrub in when returning home. (Odds: 50 / 50 of happening)

4) Quarantine / Instability: If we see threat of forced quarantine / local travel restriction / Localized looting, we will load clothes/supplies/weapons/personal bins into our two vehicles, secure the house, and relocate to a buddy's house about 4 miles away per an agreed upon plan. (Odds: Highly unlikely)

Secondary / Emergency Location: He, his wife, and 2yo son live in a 9000 square foot brick home in a very nice neighborhood. It sits atop a hill at the end of a cove with great sight lines in all directions.

He's in the military, is a weapons expert. He's got 2+ years of food, more ammo than we could ever need, reloading bench, a nice garden, honey bees, significant medical supplies, an extensive whiskey collection, roughly 500gal water storage (bottled, 2x 55gal drums, 4x water BOBs), plus rainwater collection system tied into his gutters and a large water purification system. HE is a "prepper", albeit a very normal dude. His wife is a military/civilian pilot as well. You'd never guess any of this meeting them or walking around their house, which is by design.

We will have 4-5 couples (all close friends) there to share watch/duties with plenty of bedrooms/space for everyone. Each would be coming in with ~2+ months of supplies. We could comfortably shelter in place for extended period there, and properly defend it if anyone who didn't prepare decided to get nosy.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

1) Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing and improved hygienic habits. View large crowd gatherings as risk/reward scenarios.

2) Spreading begins stateside: Telecommute. Shelter in place mostly. Social distancing and Light PPE when in public. Establish decon station in garage w/ crude "scrub station" to keep inside home "clear". Stage 2 bins with important personal items, have 2 large bins ready for clothes (Odds: Likely)

3) Spreading begins locally: Firm shelter in place. Stage clothes, supplies & be prepared to roll to a buddy's house on short notice. IF either of us needs to leave, full PPE and scrub in when returning home. (Odds: 50 / 50 of happening)

4) Quarantine / Instability: If we see threat of forced quarantine / local travel restriction / Localized looting, we will load clothes/supplies/weapons/personal bins into our two vehicles, secure the house, and relocate to a buddy's house about 4 miles away per an agreed upon plan. (Odds: Highly unlikely)

Secondary / Emergency Location: He, his wife, and 2yo son live in a 9000 square foot brick home in a very nice neighborhood. It sits atop a hill at the end of a cove with great sight lines in all directions.

He's in the military, is a weapons expert. He's got 2+ years of food, more ammo than we could ever need, reloading bench, a nice garden, honey bees, significant medical supplies, an extensive whiskey collection, roughly 500gal water storage (bottled, 2x 55gal drums, 4x water BOBs), plus rainwater collection system tied into his gutters and a large water purification system. HE is a "prepper", albeit a very normal dude. His wife is a military/civilian pilot as well. You'd never guess any of this meeting them or walking around their house, which is by design.

We will have 4-5 couples (all close friends) there to share watch/duties with plenty of bedrooms/space for everyone. Each would be coming in with ~2+ months of supplies. We could comfortably shelter in place for extended period there, and properly defend it if anyone who didn't prepare decided to get nosy.

After about three months. you all will end up eating/loving each other.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Books On Tape posted:

Have you considered a breeding program when you're the only people alive on the planet? Can't be too careful with these things.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Books On Tape posted:

RichPeopleParanoia.txt

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ruggan posted:

how long are you there for, which countries?

About 6 months, starting in Nepal in March, and then Myanmar-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand-Indonesia until August - more or less. Hopefully summer heat will kill the virus :downs:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nobody riots in a pandemic, people avoid each other

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

other people posted:

Hey crohner. You don't have to panic too much until you get it:

https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/news/updated-wuhan-novel-coronavirus-advice

I appreciate the post, honest. However, I'm not exactly panicking for myself or anything, because, well, I'm a shut-in, so I'm not exactly overly exposed, but I'm also too poor to even buy any food/water to stockpile, so if it comes down to people getting screwed, well, I'm probably screwed.

And, you know, I'd rather my mother didn't die, because she's one of the non-scumfuck boomers and a good person, and as poor as I am, so, y'know.

C'est la vie.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Until the food runs out. In America we'll get a couple of days of peace and quiet before the riots start.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/Secret_Beijing/status/1231977868093083650?s=20

:thunk:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Books On Tape posted:

lol you are out of your mind. This isn't some sort of purge scenario. It's just a nasty flu, nothing more or less.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Sounds like ideal looting conditions

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

There Bias Two posted:

lol you are out of your mind. This isn't some sort of purge scenario. It's just a nasty flu, nothing more or less.

Hhah ur gonna get shot lol

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

No you see you need line of sight to kill the rioters efficiently before they get to your hoard of *looks at the shelves* 140,000 packages of captain crunch.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

JK Fresco posted:

Sounds like ideal looting conditions

yes. looting, not rioting

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

With everyone wearing masks it'll be harder to ID me too! Hoping for mass looting in Chicago, all the police will be busy at grocery stores while I grab some nice stuff from Guitar Center :getin:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

A riot is just looting after it gets too popular

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rad-daddio posted:

After about three months. you all will end up eating/loving each other.
In which order, though?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chikimiki posted:

About 6 months, starting in Nepal in March, and then Myanmar-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand-Indonesia until August - more or less. Hopefully summer heat will kill the virus :downs:
You are more likely to die in a scooter accident statistically, like way way more, I can personally attest. Still suck, the timing is pretty lovely. That part of the world is pretty amazing though and I'm genuinely curious how it's going down in Thailand. I have a friend in Chiang Mai and I bet it's put the brakes on her little nail shop in the old city.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Books On Tape posted:

Just lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Books On Tape posted:

And 2 weeks in you will discover one of your friends has unusually long incubation period.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MorrisBae posted:

RichPeopleParanoia.txt

PeopleWhoFantasizeAboutTheBreakdownOfSocietySoTheyCanStartMurderingMinorities.txt

edit:

quote:

No results found for "He's in the military, is a weapons expert. He's got 2+ years of food, more ammo than we could ever need, reloading bench, a nice garden, honey bees, significant medical supplies,".

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The best part of that post is the 9k square foot house.

I have my doubts two milfolk could afford a goddamn mansion regardless of their rank or career path. 9k square feet is like former Mike Tyson mansion territory.

If there's any legitimacy to his statement it's more like 9k square feet when you include a sheetmetal polebarn.

OP I'm going to drop my deuces on your safe spot with a drone. Gonna poo poo in a bag, hook it to a drone, fly it to your compound and drop it on your buddys' garden or down the chimney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's the post-military pork barrel DOD contracting gig that does it