Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BonerGhost posted:

A fun hypothetical: If Bloomberg signs the contract Warren drafted for him, does that make her his lawyer create joinder?

What would be the implications of running against your own lawyer in an election? Or running against your client?

If I buy one of those pre-written contracts at Staples, does that make Staples my lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

If I buy one of those pre-written contracts at Staples, does that make Staples my lawyer?

Staples doesn't have a license to practice law, as far as I know, so going with no on that one.

I'm not seriously suggesting it would make Warren his lawyer. But generally if you have a lawyer draft a contract for you, they'll be real clear about whether they're representing you, no?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BonerGhost posted:

Staples doesn't have a license to practice law, as far as I know, so going with no on that one.

I'm not seriously suggesting it would make Warren his lawyer. But generally if you have a lawyer draft a contract for you, they'll be real clear about whether they're representing you, no?

my lawyer can draft a contract that i, or my lawyer, presents to you as our proposal for what you should sign. that is not either of us giving you legal advice, and the only potential ethical issue would be if there was any reason for you to believe my lawyer was your lawyer

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

DaveSauce posted:

How does that work logistically? Are both parties charged together and tried together? Or are parts separate (due to the potential for varying degrees of responsibility, like one side initiating the bribe, or the other maybe not clear that it's a bribe)?

Yes, they are implicated together. In fact, about a third of the Alaska State Legislature, and one US Senator, were tried with an oil company and an oil company exec. There's a Wikipedia article, "Alaska Political Corruption Probe".

There were some issues with the prosecution that led to some disciplinary action and at least one prosecutor committing suicide, so it's a pretty dark story.

Our state law makes it a crime to confer, offering to confer, agreeing to confer, accepting or agreeing to accept a bribe.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

my lawyer can draft a contract that i, or my lawyer, presents to you as our proposal for what you should sign. that is not either of us giving you legal advice, and the only potential ethical issue would be if there was any reason for you to believe my lawyer was your lawyer

E.g., Does a landlord become your lawyer when he hands you a rental contract to sign

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So if someone gives me a briefcase of cash saying 'here's some bribe money, do the thing'. And I take the money and say 'gently caress you, I'm reporting you to the cops'. Can I keep the money (assuming I don't get my legs broken)?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Outrail posted:

So if someone gives me a briefcase of cash saying 'here's some bribe money, do the thing'. And I take the money and say 'gently caress you, I'm reporting you to the cops'. Can I keep the money (assuming I don't get my legs broken)?

No

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Outrail posted:

If someone gives you weed, and you say no gently caress you plz help cops, you don't get to keep the weed. The money is evidence.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Okay, so you gotta hide half the money first.

Look Sir Droids posted:

If someone gives you weed, and you say no gently caress you plz help cops, you don't get to keep the weed. The money is evidence.

If I went to the cops they'd tell me to stop being weird and smoke my weed. :canada:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s accepting the bribe, friend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also there will rules against you accepting gifts anyway so you will be in violation of those

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is "I was about to report this attempt at bribing me to the cops" a plausible defense against a charge of receiving a bribe? Let's assume I'm also claiming the bribe was unsolicited.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It takes like 2 seconds to call the attorney general so what was the delay.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What’s the line between paying a bribe and being extorted?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

They're two different things?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Badger of Basra posted:

Usually cocaine.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Usually cocaine.

That's a different kind of line.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I bought a refurbished Pixel phone in August 2017. The microphone on it had a design flaw and died a little over a year ago. Google knew about this defect and admitted it's existence in March 2017. Google just settled a class action lawsuit related to the defect. I thought I was a party to the lawsuit but since I bought a refurbished phone it turns out I'm not.

Ohio product liability laws should still apply even if it was a refurbished device correct?
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2307.71

Also if I file a claim in small claims court can I just serve Google's office here in Ohio?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I bought a refurbished Pixel phone in August 2017. The microphone on it had a design flaw and died a little over a year ago. Google knew about this defect and admitted it's existence in March 2017. Google just settled a class action lawsuit related to the defect. I thought I was a party to the lawsuit but since I bought a refurbished phone it turns out I'm not.

Ohio product liability laws should still apply even if it was a refurbished device correct?

Also if I file a claim in small claims court can I just serve Google's office here in Ohio?

the timing here seems to be a big issue here, where you bought the phone well after public disclosure of the defect

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

What are your damages under the product liability theory

quote:

(13) "Product liability claim" means a claim or cause of action that is asserted in a civil action pursuant to sections 2307.71 to 2307.80 of the Revised Code and that seeks to recover compensatory damages from a manufacturer or supplier for death, physical injury to person, emotional distress, or physical damage to property other than the product in question, that allegedly arose from any of the following:

Suing google is probably going to need you to have a lawyer

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the timing here seems to be a big issue here, where you bought the phone well after public disclosure of the defect

I should clarify that by "admitted" I mean a Google engineer posted on the Google support forums that some phones have a design defect that causes the microphone to break.

Google did not publicize the problem, issue a recall or stop selling the model.

I called Google when the phone broke and was told it was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Devor posted:

Suing google is probably going to need you to have a lawyer

there's no chance a lawyer is ever worth it for this. but just because you went to small claims court doesn't mean google won't show up. the first case i got to argue was for a firm client that got sued in small claims court and my firm sent me as a favor to argue it. needless to say things didn't go well for random guy trying to litigate against even a baby litigator

but on the other hand all it will cost you is your time, so if you're bored why not. bear in mind, however, that a settlement is not evidence so you better bring actual evidence.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

evilweasel posted:

there's no chance a lawyer is ever worth it for this. but just because you went to small claims court doesn't mean google won't show up. the first case i got to argue was for a firm client that got sued in small claims court and my firm sent me as a favor to argue it. needless to say things didn't go well for random guy trying to litigate against even a baby litigator

but on the other hand all it will cost you is your time, so if you're bored why not. bear in mind, however, that a settlement is not evidence so you better bring actual evidence.

Google will send someone to small claims court. Sometimes you can sneak one by a giant company, it slips under company legal's radar, and you get a default, but then good luck collecting.

Also, you need to serve Google's registered agent in the state you're in. Go to the Secretary of State website and search for Google entities. It's probably CT Corp.

In sum, you would want a lawyer and it's unlikely this is worth a lawyer's (or your) time. You may get a split the baby verdict in small claims. How much was your phone? $700? So $350. The lawyer will cost more than that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even if you win they can just appeal to a real court too and then what. You going to trial over 700$? No.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

euphronius posted:

Even if you win they can just appeal to a real court too and then what. You going to trial over 700$? No.

I mean yes, but lol Google is not appealing an L in small claims. It's not worth their legal fees either.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

I mean yes, but lol Google is not appealing an L in small claims. It's not worth their legal fees either.

appealing small claims court verdicts would be less about it being cost-effective for that one case, and more about deterring people from making a habit of suing them in small claims court which is worth it overall

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Does a loss in small claims court create legal precedent, such that in subsequent cases anyone could cite that first case and get a quick judgement?

e. Also would they actually incur lots of fees, given their legal team is presumably on retainer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would come down to the internal dynamics of googles legal team and deals with local counsel which we don’t know.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Does a loss in small claims court create legal precedent, such that in subsequent cases anyone could cite that first case and get a quick judgement?

No.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

evilweasel posted:

appealing small claims court verdicts would be less about it being cost-effective for that one case, and more about deterring people from making a habit of suing them in small claims court which is worth it overall

I deal with a lot of small claims cases for my company. The risk there is typically deemed not high enough to appeal if we lose. And these are sometimes sensitive issues that the company does not really want to litigate. If you take it up to big boy court level, in addition to increasing your costs, you're also going to increase publicity. Nobody cares or notices with small claims court. They will notice with real court.

It's a case by case calculus, but you're not going to stop people that abuse small claims simply by appealing.

Edit: In other words, it's more likely the company needs to see a lot of activity in small claims over that one issue/product before they decide to bother with appealing tiny adverse judgments.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 26, 2020

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Yeah I need to figure out what evidence I should present.

Am I allowed to just copy and paste the parts I want from the class action complaint?

https://www.classlawgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/google-pixel-microphone-defect-lawsuit.pdf

I spent $450 on the phone and the class action would've entitled me to $350, so I feel like it's worth a try.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are now literally asking for legal advice

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

I just want to make sure that it's ok to repurpose the allegations of that complaint. All of the research and citations would save me hours of work.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I just want to make sure that it's ok to repurpose the allegations of that complaint. All of the research and citations would save me hours of work.

The answer to which is literally legal advice. If you want to piss away hours of your life and hundreds of dollars, what's a few hundred more? Ask your lawyer.

E: literally the second paragraph of the op my friend

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Sorry I just meant from a plagiarism perspective. I figured the complaint was public domain but this article suggests otherwise

https://www.lawyersmutualnc.com/blog/cut-and-paste-can-lead-to-a-plagiarism-claim

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Do judges ever sanction people for being terrible pro se lawyers in small claims court or is it just the wild west

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Do judges ever sanction people for being terrible pro se lawyers in small claims court or is it just the wild west

Its just the wild west, it basically never happens.

What's more likely to happen if you're an rear end in a top hat of a complaintant is the JP judge will decide he doesn't like you and find against you out of spite.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am reading this ruling: https://www.leagle.com/decision/inbco20190221935
The case is about the competing interests in the Buck Rogers intellectual property, which is disputed between at least three entities; two trusts each of which claims ownership, and a film company that claims the IP is now in public domain but which has been willing to negotiate a settlement. The crux of this particular hearing is the eligibility of one of those trusts for Chapter 11 bankruptcy: the court found that because the trust is not a "business trust," it is not eligible.

My question is: if a trust has incurred debts far beyond its assets, and is not entitled to bankruptcy relief, then what happens? If it has few or no assets, surely the question of relief is moot, because the creditors can't lay claim to any assets sufficient to pay them what they're owed. Do the trustees somehow become personally liable for the debts incurred by the trust? Or maybe the beneficiaries? I suppose the trustee would argue that they thought the trust would prevail in court and wind up in full possession of the IP in question, the subsequent exploitation of (licensing or sale) would pay all incurred costs plus money to benefit the beneficiaries. Or if the beneficiaries somehow were liable, that'd be pretty hosed up, right, they trusted that their trustee would act in their interests and instead they wind up owing lawyers half a million dollars and wind up in personal bankruptcy instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The answer to your question would entail jurisdiction specific research and a more developed facts.