Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Teferi is not a cop but he IS a NARC, which is different, but not better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Grifter posted:

Just wanted to say that this is an excellent post.

I want to second this out of appreciation.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

https://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/ikoria-draft-booster-boxes-have-box-toppers

Apparently Ikoria Booster Boxes will have box toppers. I do wonder if this means that Collector boosters are already dead.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The "behemoth-sized bonus" hints at the oversized cards mechanic that can only enter into games through a wish-type effect :speculate:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Apparently Ikoria Booster Boxes will have box toppers. I do wonder if this means that Collector boosters are already dead.

is those going to be in addition to the buy a box promo, or instead of it (or I guess the bab is in the topper?)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

is those going to be in addition to the buy a box promo, or instead of it (or I guess the bab is in the topper?)

In addition, it says "you'll also have the Buy-a-Box promo card" in the article.

It's likely that every box, period, gets a topper but only the in-person sales get a bab.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sounds like they're just ditching the buy a box promos for them which is good seeing as LGSes just kept those anyway

Edit: that'll teach me for not reading the article

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The "behemoth-sized bonus" hints at the oversized cards mechanic that can only enter into games through a wish-type effect :speculate:

close...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Katana Gomai posted:

Reminder that WotC printed a Teferi that completely undermines the fundamental premise of the game itself and no one seems to give a drat. Core 2020 Teferi will make the opponent be unable to cast creature spells or some dumb poo poo.

I remember when people complained about what a horrible card it was to print and then kept doing that to this very day. It's probably in my top 5 worst cards they've ever printed, and it's in literally every constructed deck I own besides Death and Taxes. At least 5 mana Teferi died to Doom Blade.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
3 mana teferi owns!!!!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tainen posted:

close...

black bordered augment??

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tainen posted:

close...

Checklist cards?

dragon enthusiast posted:

black bordered augment??

Augment is just auras with weird art.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Time posted:

3 mana teferi owns!!!!

pretty much this. it's 3 mana, gets you some value and completely messes your opponent up. what's not to like

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dragon enthusiast posted:

black bordered augment??

mutate

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paul Zuvella posted:

Honestly the Eldraine ones were really cool but the Theros ones are absolute garbage. The pool of Constellations was simply too small. Plus the obvious issue of widespread repacking that’s pretty clearly being done by employees.

The only upside of the Collector’s Boosters is that they’ve driven down the price of regular and non-fancy foils into the trash, so buying into Standard or Pioneer with these cards is a lot easier than it would be otherwise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly the Eldraine ones were really cool but the Theros ones are absolute garbage. The pool of Constellations was simply too small. Plus the obvious issue of widespread repacking that’s pretty clearly being done by employees.

The only upside of the Collector’s Boosters is that they’ve driven down the price of regular and non-fancy foils into the trash, so buying into Standard or Pioneer with these cards is a lot easier than it would be otherwise.

what is this, people cutting open boosters for the good cards and repackaging and selling ones with bad cards as "new", or is this the fact that the boxes are mappable?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

evilweasel posted:

what is this, people cutting open boosters for the good cards and repackaging and selling ones with bad cards as "new", or is this the fact that the boxes are mappable?

People literally just taking the collectors boosters out of the cardboard sleeve and repacking the sleeves with regular boosters. I can’t find the tweet but Bryan Gottlieb went to his local Target in Seattle and literally every single Collector’s Pack sleeve, like over 30, had been repacked with a Theros booster.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Mox Hombre posted:

pretty much this. it's 3 mana, gets you some value and completely messes your opponent up. what's not to like

Also I feel like standard would be completely miserable without it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

close...

Meld, but crazier, as in combining more than just a specific pair of cards?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wezlar posted:

Also I feel like standard would be completely miserable without it

This statement is terrifying if it has any truth to it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sickening posted:

This statement is terrifying if it has any truth to it.

Temur Reclamation absolutely sucks hot egg water to play against and Teferi is basically the only reason that deck hasn’t dominated Standard for the last year.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Temur Reclamation absolutely sucks hot egg water to play against and Teferi is basically the only reason that deck hasn’t dominated Standard for the last year.

It also helps the uw and fires decks not fold to embercleave decks and helps fires have a decent matchup vs uw

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the mono-red deck does a lot more to keep Reclamation in check.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Three mana teferi would be less obnoxious if they flipped his +1 and passive ability IMO.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Please don't let mutate require two-faced cards. I hate not being able to hold and read the card that is supposedly in my hand.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

bring clap emoji back clap emoji meld clap emoji

what timmy doesn't like his big dumb monster represented by an oversize single "card"

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Owlbear Camus posted:

bring clap emoji back clap emoji meld clap emoji

what timmy doesn't like his big dumb monster represented by an oversize single "card"

This one should take four cards, one of each rarity, and do infinity damage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
We‘ve hit Fusion Monsters, now it’s time for Tuner Monsters

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Heck yeah let's get exodia with this imo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

We‘ve hit Fusion Monsters, now it’s time for Tuner Monsters

I’m waiting for XYZ monsters with materials being exiled without actually being exiled. :thunk:
Its almost like reverse processing. Though I guess you could argue Championing is actually XYZ summoning.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tainen posted:

close...

do we finally get to see jace's entire rear end???????????????????????

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Three mana teferi would be less obnoxious if they flipped his +1 and passive ability IMO.

His plus one being blank like 90% of the time is what I'm guessing was supposed to balance him, but lol if that's true

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tainen, post proof that you're a reliable source of leaks or you're banned. You have 24 hours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Clowner posted:

Tainen, post proof that you're a reliable source of leaks or you're banned. You have 24 hours.

weird post, but they've posted stuff before that turned out real.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/MTGNerdGirl/status/1232762355416588289

Thoughts?

I honestly thought Oko, but I haven't watched too much limited coverage (or twitch streams). Trawler is a beast, but it costs 2WWUU so sometimes it doesn't even get cast, or by the time it comes down it's too late.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

odiv posted:

I honestly thought Oko, but I haven't watched too much limited coverage (or twitch streams). Trawler is a beast, but it costs 2WWUU so sometimes it doesn't even get cast, or by the time it comes down it's too late.

That's all true, but I think the question refers to how difficult it is to beat once it's on the field, and not just in the deck.

So how difficult is it to defeat the card when you are its opponent, not how useful is it in your deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I voted that Dream Trawler is easier to beat because I’ve eaten it twice and I’ve never beaten Oko.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

odiv posted:

Thoughts?

Oko as well, but there is an argument to be had about frequency. In all my Eldraine drafts I've seen one Oko. You can expect to see at given rare in about half of 8 man drafts. So while Oko may be more frustrating to play against, you're likely to be more frustrated by Dream Trawler.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

The Clowner posted:

Last time I posted leaks here it took all of 20 minutes before someone here started posting them to public discords and the next day MaRo responded to a question based on the leaks so maybe if y’all weren’t a bunch of snitches I would post more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

odiv posted:

Thoughts?

I agree with you, unless we're supposed to infer "resolved" as part of the evaluation. Oko in your starting 7 takes over the game T2/3, trawler you're waiting till at least 6. Easier to get under and interact with on the stack or board in for.

If the question is "resolved and on the table" all else being equal I give it to Trawler.