Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mean, I don't see this version of Clayface threatening to torture Ivy's orphans

You don't see this version of Clayface telling Ivy he's going to take her kids to watch his improv group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The show's writing is good, animation is a bit handicapped by the low budget nature, because apparently Warner Bros. just doesn't have make good animation money for some reason.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I realize they are (or seem to be) different shows but how would you rank it compared to Castlevania and Rick & Morty? (these are the only other action adult animated series I can think of and I'm stretching it)

The real comparison and analogy is Venture Bros. It's pretty much Venture Bros: DC Universe Edition.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, it's much more comparable to Venture Bros, but with an emphasis on getting past toxic relationships and building better ones.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I never watched Venture Bros.

What appealed me to the show was watching the beginning of this video (I clicked out due to the "major spoilers warning").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC3Rjx1NVSY

He states that unlike pretty much every other adult animated show, when it gets political it doesn't try to be edgy by saying "there is no hope to change things! life's a downer!" and actually support people being proactive.

The video maker has a whole video about why they hate Rick & Morty.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You should watch both then, tbh. VB is also great.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Megazver posted:

You should watch both then, tbh. VB is also great.

Yeah, if you watch one season every six months you *still* might only have to wait a few years for S8. :negative:

Supposedly S8 is coming in 2021 or 2022.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, if you watch one season every six months you *still* might only have to wait a few years for S8. :negative:

I know this isn't the VB thread but I just want to say that I wish there were some kind of Venture Brothers catch-up videos specifically tailored for "how long has it been since you watched this show" because I dropped off somewhere after season 4 or 5 due to the irregularity of releases and I just know that if I try to get back to where I was, I'm going to be so lost about so many self-references that I'll basically need to rewatch the whole show to understand the jokes being made.

In other words, there is so much time between seasons, I will forget half of what I was supposed to remember. A problem that hit me for Mr. Robot, Rick and Morty, and likely a few others I can't think of. The only reason I can still follow Better Call Saul is because they very kindly add a "last time on" before each episode.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Megazver posted:

The real comparison and analogy is Venture Bros. It's pretty much Venture Bros: DC Universe Edition.

This needs to be emphasized. The super-science/super-villainy comedy irreverence is on the same level, which is very high praise for HQ. VBros has just has literal decades to build on its mythology.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:sigh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I really, REALLY gotta wonder why the hell anyone would live in Gotham.

According to the comics it's either you're too poor to go elsewhere or you have Stockholm syndrome and don't want to leave because at least it's not as bad as Blüdhaven?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chokes McGee posted:

According to the comics it's either you're too poor to go elsewhere or you have Stockholm syndrome and don't want to leave because at least it's not as bad as Blüdhaven?

There's also central location. Gotham's right next to Bludhaven, Metropolis, and not that far from NYC.

And there's Batman's Secret Shame. Gotham is in Jersey, and Metropolis is in Delaware.

Also, Superman: Red Son is out today.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's also central location. Gotham's right next to Bludhaven, Metropolis, and not that far from NYC.

And there's Batman's Secret Shame. Gotham is in Jersey, and Metropolis is in Delaware.

Also, Superman: Red Son is out today.

When did DC decide that Gotham, Metropolis, and NYC all head to exist in their world?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SimonCat posted:

When did DC decide that Gotham, Metropolis, and NYC all head to exist in their world?

Decades ago probably. They call NYC 'The Cinderella City'.

Mind you, the geography is almost as flexible as Springfield. Gotham was basically Boston in The Dark Knight only to become Manhattan in TDKR, and Metropolis has been a plane flight away or literally across the bay in BvS. Keystone City, Star City, Jump City... DC isn't very original with city names.

Or as the old saying goes: Metropolis is New York by day, Gotham is New York by night.

Apparently, JLA/Avengers, where the differences in geography around NYC come up for obvious reasons, suggests that DC Earth is physically larger.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 25, 2020

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I believe it's primarily a case of them having characters who were based in places like Gotham and Metropolis, and others who existed in places like New York, and then deciding that those characters existed in the same universe.

Maybe I've watched too much of Brave and the Bold, but it seems weird to me that Joker would be able to keep Batman trapped for a whole week. Different incarnations and all, but I thought escape artistry was a big part of what makes Batman... Batman.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

fractalairduct posted:

I believe it's primarily a case of them having characters who were based in places like Gotham and Metropolis, and others who existed in places like New York, and then deciding that those characters existed in the same universe.

Maybe I've watched too much of Brave and the Bold, but it seems weird to me that Joker would be able to keep Batman trapped for a whole week. Different incarnations and all, but I thought escape artistry was a big part of what makes Batman... Batman.

Yeah it's a different incarnation as you said, this Batman seems a lot less effective as a crime fighter than nearly all the other incarnations of Batman. Which works fine since that isn't the focus of the show, it is just.... odd.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I'm also calling BS that Batman didn't have a gas mask on his utility belt to deal with Joker's gas.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it's a different incarnation as you said, this Batman seems a lot less effective as a crime fighter than nearly all the other incarnations of Batman. Which works fine since that isn't the focus of the show, it is just.... odd.

It's pretty normal for a superhero to to be most powerful in their own book and a joke in someone else's. It just stands out more with Batman since his own solo stories have him challenged by pretty much mundane threats while his crossovers often have him effortlessly on par with cosmic opposition.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SimonCat posted:

I'm also calling BS that Batman didn't have a gas mask on his utility belt to deal with Joker's gas.

Especially since he already had an oxygen mask on while parachuting in.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Residents in Gotham and Metropolis, their relative fortunes aside, share the same survivorship bias. There were people in England feeling oddly invincible during the bombings of WW2 because, hey, every day someone else's house goes boom but not theirs. Same principle: Luthor contends with Brainiac, Joker poisons the water supply, somehow Superman and Batman save the status quo just in time for a certain percentage of the population every time.

Alternately, Gotham's mortality rate is so high that the rent is dirt cheap. Maybe you can snap a selfie with Robin zipping past your window before a telescopic freeze ray kills everyone in your apartment building.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

Booster Gold and Blue Beetle seem like shoe-ins for showing up to try and capitalize on the vacuum.

Harley’s crew already robbed the Kord Industries building earlier in the season so I really hope this is true. Wanna see this version of the JLI, complete with Maxwell Lord as their terrible boss

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Fish posted:

Residents in Gotham and Metropolis, their relative fortunes aside, share the same survivorship bias. There were people in England feeling oddly invincible during the bombings of WW2 because, hey, every day someone else's house goes boom but not theirs. Same principle: Luthor contends with Brainiac, Joker poisons the water supply, somehow Superman and Batman save the status quo just in time for a certain percentage of the population every time.

Alternately, Gotham's mortality rate is so high that the rent is dirt cheap. Maybe you can snap a selfie with Robin zipping past your window before a telescopic freeze ray kills everyone in your apartment building.

I imagine the Wayne Foundation also funds oodles of jobs and education programs that one might not find in other cities.

Also, the Arrowverse has Gotham set somewhere near Chicago

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Xelkelvos posted:

I imagine the Wayne Foundation also funds oodles of jobs and education programs that one might not find in other cities.

Also, the Arrowverse has Gotham set somewhere near Chicago

Yeah, I can't remember which thread it was in (because I actually watch every DC show there is except Titans, so I get my threads mixed up, especially during/post-Crisis). But one show (I think Flash?) showed a map that some goon was kind enough to get us a a couple high-rez stills from.

The only irl city on there was Tokyo, for some reason.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I can't remember which thread it was in (because I actually watch every DC show there is except Titans, so I get my threads mixed up, especially during/post-Crisis). But one show (I think Flash?) showed a map that some goon was kind enough to get us a a couple high-rez stills from.

It was Flash

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

It came from Flash when they were doing the post-Crisis review of everything being different now.

Bruceski posted:

Even more from another shot flipped. San Monte (Superman's first mission), Santa Prisca (Bane imprisoned there), Corto Maltese (Thea trained with Merlyn), Fortress of Solitude, Zambisi (Vixen's origin), Tinasha (Batwing's origin city, don't think it's been mentioned in the Arrowverse), and Gorilla City. I couldn't get a clear shot to make out the places further East, looks like one in the Middle-East and a couple on the coast of Asia.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Today I realized Kite Man has an actual superpower, and it's not kite related.

He's a Chutzpah Elemental.

I don't know what color that is on the DC Nature scale though actually I do, it's the "Kite Man" color

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Myers-Briggs spontaneously manifests a KI-TE type.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SimonCat posted:

This Batman seems a bit less hyper-competent than the one we've grown accustomed to over the last few decades. He's closer to a less funny Adam West Batman, only having the right gadgets when it's convenient for the plot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
We all know he has bat shark repellent on that belt

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Of course he does; he even used it on King Shark in the Damien Wayne episode!

Edit: King, not Killer. Whoops!

KenjiKaizoku fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 27, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Of course he does; he even used it on Killer Shark in the Damien Wayne episode!

Excuse me sir, I must inform you that King Shark is not a killer shark, just a man-shark that very occasionally murders people.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Of course he does; he even used it on King Shark in the Damien Wayne episode!

that was when i realized i was watching a Good Show™

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
King Shark and Killer Shark are two distinct shark people you loving racists.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'd just like to note that I'm the target the audience for this, VB and R&M. Youtube insisted on plaguing me with clips of all three, and Harley Quinn is the only one that seemed worth watching full episodes of.

It has a different "root for these terrible people" vibe than the other two.

Edit - and... the conversation has moved on. I aspire to someday open a reply tab and actually reply on the same date.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 26, 2020

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Rhyno posted:

King Shark and Killer Shark are two distinct shark people you loving racists.

Killer Shark appears to be just a human guy, and I don't think the guy even has any powers. He's an enemy of the Blackhawks, a bunch of people who fly fighter planes and stuff.

I don't know if Killer Shark gets invited to animal-people villain groups, and there's awkwardness when it's found that he isn't actually part shark. He probably tries to defend himself that Black Manta isn't actually a manta ray - except that one time that people don't like to talk about - but he's politely told to leave.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Angry Lobster posted:

Excuse me sir, I must inform you that King Shark is not a killer shark, just a man-shark that very occasionally murders people.

What is King Sharks ruling domain anyway? Was his kingdom subdued by Aquaman and his brainwashing? I want that to be a season 2 episode. Tear down the Atlantic monarchy!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

It has a different "root for these terrible people" vibe than the other two.

I think Renegade Cut summed it up really good. HQ has a weird positive heart and message to it about friendship and healing after abuse. It's not as super cynical as Rick and Morty.

VB does move closer to a similar direction as HQ but it takes much longer to get there. It starts as pure parody and gains more of a heart and investment in the characters over time. I still highly recommend it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat Harley Quinn is great. I'm glad Renegade Cut made that video because I would have taken a longer time to get around watching it. It's like Venture Bros but DC. Year there's a lot of swearing and violence, but it doesn't seem like that's done purely because they can.

also finally a DC thing with the Joker in it that states that he is literally the worst.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It's a mark of how great this show is that I love it so much despite the action choreography being weak and the characterization not quite maintaining consistency. But comparing it to The Venture Brothers, that took some time to find its footing and Harley's already off to a stronger start than its first season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Daikloktos posted:

It's a mark of how great this show is that I love it so much despite the action choreography being weak

Yes...

Daikloktos posted:

and the characterization not quite maintaining

...but hmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm only in this thread due to Renegade Cut's video. Is it okay if I watch that video first and then watch the show or are the spoilers too big?