Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

That birb is saying, "Go away! I'm doing important things!"

Serra is still a glorious (chonk) beast. When she gets happy, she turns rounder. This is her right when she got out for morning playtime, so she is quite happy and round.

I'm trying to beg for treats from grandpa but I'm dummy thicc and the difficulty of feeling my keel bone keeps alerting my owner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmfao

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.
She is still within her prescribed weight range by two grams, but if the vet tells me she is just a big girl I’m going to eat my hat.

She is just so ROUND.

I’m actually trying to think of ways to exercise a bird who flies about as well as a chubby kid running down stairs. Do they make hamster balls for perpetually startled birds?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 26, 2020

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

We had guests around for board games on the weekend for the first time since we got out new tiel.
Really surprised by how good mannered he was, flew over and hung out on everyones shoulders, was generally very well behaved.
And then hyper mode kicked in, he crashed into the boardgame we were playing, threw the pieces everywhere, jumped into a bowl of mustard and then flew all over our guests covering them in it.

My names Dan and I'm an rear end in a top hat

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Awww look at that little baby face!

That’s also some peak cockatiel doofus-ry. The more comfortable they get, the more ridiculous their antics become.

God, cute pictures of birds trigger in me such a need to scritch a bird. :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caedes posted:

We had guests around for board games on the weekend for the first time since we got out new tiel.
Really surprised by how good mannered he was, flew over and hung out on everyones shoulders, was generally very well behaved.
And then hyper mode kicked in, he crashed into the boardgame we were playing, threw the pieces everywhere, jumped into a bowl of mustard and then flew all over our guests covering them in it.

Well you should've given Dan attention and scritches when you had the chance! You left him little recourse, as far as I can tell.

:colbert:.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Caedes posted:

what a cute rear end in a top hat :kimchi:

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caedes posted:

i've adopted this strategy in several parties myself and i can tell you all that it was the right choice. boardgames must be destroyed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/mugimugi_white/status/1232261554726268928

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Caedes posted:

Peak cockatiel.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

The Calmest Finch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

The Calmest Finch.

Lol my so said the same thing, we were amazed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Serra had just been showered and was grooming a lot. I took a picture of her in mid mega floofy butt shake.

She looks like a rocket that's blasting off.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

How do you get a finch to do that and how do I get them to cover my entire form? I want to be enveloped in finches.

seriously look at him its like someone gave an egg a face

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We don't deserve birds

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
if u hurt a bird u should go to jail (unless you eat it)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

double posting to show some intense and awkward budgie kissing

and then Mayo wanted down but she's too awkward so i helped

I hate playing favorites but I find myself wanting to coddle Mayo the most. She really needs it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

I’ve always thought regurgitating between birds would be a lot less cute if there were really loud, adult man horking and retching sounds.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I just want to thank the OP and other contributors for the posts on diet and biting. My girlfriend has a couple budgies and a conure that I've met recently. The budgies are very shy but the conure is super hands on and cuddly. He/she does bite on occasion which seems to be from boredom or wanting attention, but is otherwise very sweet. After reading some of the links I'll be refraining from a stern "no" during future bites and I'll let the little fellow feel my skin a little bit too.

What do you folks do to keep your parrots off of food on the counter and dinner table? I've just been gently pushing her off and giving some mild commentary. Once you share a bite, how do you get them to stop climbing on top of you before eating (and spilling) their snack?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

big pig

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bulgie.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

uwu

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Once you share a bite, how do you get them to stop climbing on top of you before eating

My dude just climbs on us while we eat. Usually though when I/we start to eat, it makes him want to go eat his food, too.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

budgie DUCK budgie budgie :3:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cyber Sandwich posted:

What do you folks do to keep your parrots off of food on the counter and dinner table? I've just been gently pushing her off and giving some mild commentary. Once you share a bite, how do you get them to stop climbing on top of you before eating (and spilling) their snack?

Birds are social eaters, because of other birds are eating it then it's (probably) not poison!

You can try giving her own food to chow down on while you eat, or use mild annoyances like putting on the floor until she learns she's not getting anything. Putting a bird stand nearby could be an option

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Borble.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

My dude just climbs on us while we eat. Usually though when I/we start to eat, it makes him want to go eat his food, too.

Yeah, Sera does the same. Climbs on me to see if what I'm eating is good or not, Ozzy waits for him to decide and sits nearby in hopes of being offered a small bite. If Sera disapproves, they'll go eat their own.

Sera is Ozzy's food tester, I have just realised. I actually have an ongoing issue with Sera really really needing to watch me cook from at close as possible, which for some reason Ozzy hates.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Banane was a food bird for sure. You all remember the gif of him dancing towards/eating a chicken nugget, I'm sure! He'd also get very very possessive over pizza. and soup

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

To be fair who doesn't get all possessive over pizza?

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone and your fantastic birds. I've been sick for a good 10 days now and checking this thread daily is part of my dosage for recovery.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/2z1gfYL.mp4

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Birds fuckin love Zelda tunes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Birds fuckin love Zelda tunes.

Andy Griffith theme too.

Male cockatiel do a sing
Female cockatiel do a hiss

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Hey all, in our continuing adventures of having a new cockatiel we've run into something that I have no idea about.

A couple of times a day Dan will become inseperable from my wife. He sits on her and chirps non stop, which is cute but when she turns towards him he'll occasionally lunge at her.

Are we doing something wrong that anyone can think of? He seems happy enough but it's like he just gets overstimulated possibly and becomes completely unpredictable.

He doesn't do this to me and I'll just take him out of the room away from her and sit with him. He stops chirping and stops biting around me.

Any help on this would be great!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Caedes posted:

Hey all, in our continuing adventures of having a new cockatiel we've run into something that I have no idea about.

A couple of times a day Dan will become inseperable from my wife. He sits on her and chirps non stop, which is cute but when she turns towards him he'll occasionally lunge at her.

Are we doing something wrong that anyone can think of? He seems happy enough but it's like he just gets overstimulated possibly and becomes completely unpredictable.

He doesn't do this to me and I'll just take him out of the room away from her and sit with him. He stops chirping and stops biting around me.

Any help on this would be great!

Quick Question - Real "draws blood" bites or cheeky squeaky pinch bites?

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question - Real "draws blood" bites or cheeky squeaky pinch bites?

It's not even really a nip, it seems to be mostly for show. I did a bit of reading into it and it seems it's mostly just drama for cockatiels?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Cockatiels do love their drama.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Has sound. https://i.imgur.com/M4s8FaQ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Caedes posted:

It's not even really a nip, it seems to be mostly for show. I did a bit of reading into it and it seems it's mostly just drama for cockatiels?

There are a lot of other cockatiel owners here with great experience that should weigh in too. I'm just one dude who has raised three lady birds.

Most people call that behavior "beaking" instead of biting. In my experience, it comes from -

- Being really excited
- Trying to avoid something they don't want to do, like going back to the cage
- Being genuinely startled. But, being legit startled can cause some otherwise non-biting birds to bite.

When Serra, my 2 1/2 year old sassy female beaks, it's normally because she doesn't want to go back to her cage. She does it to my father a whole lot more than me, because she knows she can push him around. My remedy for this behavior is -

- Remain extremely calm. Birds will pick up on your mood and attitude like little psychics.
- I very softly shush her or say her name. This stops her in her tracks. I tell my father to do this and he always shushes a lot harder. These shushes don't work, only exacerbate the beaking.
- I don't retreat from the bird. It normally happens when I'm asking her to step up to go back to her cage. I'll ignore the frantic squeaks and beaks and just push my finger under her until she steps up.

Your little bird could have a wide array of reasons for acting out like this. I'd observe what happens to lead up to this. Also, does your wife "react" when the bird does this type of stuff? Regardless of the circumstances, the remedy should be the same. Stay calm, say a command that is calming, don't retreat or react.

Once birds figure out their little fits don't get results, they'll calm down on the behavior.

Now if only I could teach my father to not get scared at a 128 gram butterball cockatiel bashing her head into his finger.