Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

you're not my dad

Does doing that at least get you enough riches and poo poo to sell so you can finance all of the Grandmaster sets in Blood and Wine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

please don't do all the smuggler's caches in skellige, it actually causes me pain when I hear about people trying to clear the map

i should say that if a question mark is underwater im going to ignore it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

Does doing that at least get you enough riches and poo poo to sell so you can finance all of the Grandmaster sets in Blood and Wine?

no!

because i spent most of it on upgrading the runemaster

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

no!

because i spent most of it on upgrading the runemaster

I only get him to level 2 because never saw any level 3 poo poo that was worth it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So really weird question but when I saw a beta/preview version at one of the E3 conferences (big props to CDPR for the awesome Polish beers) one of the features of the game was that you would receive a brief rundown in the form of a VA set to some parchment sketch art of the effect your choices had after you cleared a quest. Like the Lesshen hunt either said The Village would be in the thrall of the monster and there would be some die-off as they returned to life as Hunters / or / the village defeated the Lesshen's influence but descended into unrest and barbarism as they expanded their sphere of influence. As far as I know, I've only seen one of these, after the Bloody Baron quest.

Were they just cut or am I just messing something up?

chaosapiant posted:

I think it helps but honestly I'm clearing out some of the extra poo poo I've just been hauling since forever. Ok sure I'll drop the 20 bear pelts for like 600 coins sounds good to me. And do I really need ALL 30 Sapphire Powders?

I'm cruising at a comfortable 120/160 weight now.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
I cleared all the ?'s too! Took me something around 8-9 hours i think.
Found some cool poo poo just sailing around tho, like a flying tree (or was it a rock?) in the middle of the ocean.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chaosapiant posted:

depends when you do it as its level dependant. thats the biggest reason we always tell people not to rear end creed the POIs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

So really weird question but when I saw a beta/preview version at one of the E3 conferences (big props to CDPR for the awesome Polish beers) one of the features of the game was that you would receive a brief rundown in the form of a VA set to some parchment sketch art of the effect your choices had after you cleared a quest. Like the Lesshen hunt either said The Village would be in the thrall of the monster and there would be some die-off as they returned to life as Hunters / or / the village defeated the Lesshen's influence but descended into unrest and barbarism as they expanded their sphere of influence. As far as I know, I've only seen one of these, after the Bloody Baron quest.

Were they just cut or am I just messing something up?

I think it helps but honestly I'm clearing out some of the extra poo poo I've just been hauling since forever. Ok sure I'll drop the 20 bear pelts for like 600 coins sounds good to me. And do I really need ALL 30 Sapphire Powders?

I'm cruising at a comfortable 120/160 weight now.

these conclusive story slides do happen for many of the games subplots, but not anywhere close to as many as would be necessary if quests like the one you mentioned got them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Another Witcher 2-> Witcher 3 question: In Witcher 2 it talks about how Geralt/Letho and crew found and beat the poo poo out of the Wild Hunt at the "hanged man's tree", and that's where Geralt traded himself for Yennefer. My guess is that tree happens to be the same place they hold the Sabbath ritual where you face the Wild Hunt general and Crones. Does anyone have any input on that?

Edit: Also I recognize that there is a literal "hanged man's tree" in Velen when you first start there, but I can't help but feel that, story-wise, the other place makes more sense.

Edit 2: Yay! I'm finally at the part of the first Witcher 3 thread, in early May 2015, just before release, when a post named Utnayan comes in and talks about downgrade poo poo constantly! This was a hoot last time I read it!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 26, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember really loathing utnayan for some reason but i can't remember why. let me know if it comes up!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

i remember really loathing utnayan for some reason but i can't remember why. let me know if it comes up!

You mean in the thread? I'll let you know what I find. I mainly remember them for constantly lambasting Witcher 3 because of it's lovely graphics.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well poo poo, it turns out that the better trophies mod changes the +Gold trophy from the Swineherd's Crown to +crit damage. That's certainly a nice effect I suppose but I kind of wanted the cash instead. Weird that that they chose that.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I eventually got tired of skellige, but I remember just sailing around and seeing a whale breach the surface and that moment stayed with me.or sailing the river into novigrad at sunset.remember those moments as fondly as doing any quest.

I'm really glad I played this game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I eventually got tired of skellige, but I remember just sailing around and seeing a whale breach the surface and that moment stayed with me.or sailing the river into novigrad at sunset.remember those moments as fondly as doing any quest.

I'm really glad I played this game.

Every time I spotted a whale in Skellige, it just kinda froze in place and did not move. Is this a known thing?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Do you ever end up at the Nilfgaard camp in the south of the map as part of the main story? I finished the Novigrad and Skellige story portions and decided to just venture down there since the game hadn’t taken me there yet, and it’s just a few low level quests. Was I supposed to go there a long time ago or something? It’s just a weird area to include if it’s not part of the main quest line at all.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Do you ever end up at the Nilfgaard camp in the south of the map as part of the main story? I finished the Novigrad and Skellige story portions and decided to just venture down there since the game hadn’t taken me there yet, and it’s just a few low level quests. Was I supposed to go there a long time ago or something? It’s just a weird area to include if it’s not part of the main quest line at all.

Nope.

Cut content zone, apparently.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Colonel Whitey posted:

No. But there's at least one side-quest tide with that area, but you never get to explore the full camp afair. I think Comte mentioned that more was planned for that area but got cut due to time/resources, but forgive me if I'm mis-remembering and/or misquoting.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nope, its entirely optional. You traverse that area a bit in HoS and there is a contracts there at the board.

I think there was a cut main questline there or something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nope, its entirely optional. You traverse that area a bit in HoS and there is a contracts there at the board.

I think there was a cut main questline there or something.

I remember a side-quest there in pre-expansion, but nothing specific (or anything Nilfgaard related) from Hearts of Stone added for that camp. Is there really some expansion pack stuff down there?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I remember a side-quest there in pre-expansion, but nothing specific (or anything Nilfgaard related) from Hearts of Stone added for that camp. Is there really some expansion pack stuff down there?

that general corner of the map has HoS content is what i meant, not the camp itself.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that general corner of the map has HoS content is what i meant, not the camp itself.

Oh drat, I thought maybe I was missing some dope content. I think the Nilfgaard camp was in the South-East and all of Hearts of Stone was in the North East, but same side of the map either way.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ok thanks. Yeah there’s one secondary quest giver and one contract. Also you can play the quartermaster at Gwent - he gave me the last rando card I needed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Oh drat, I thought maybe I was missing some dope content. I think the Nilfgaard camp was in the South-East and all of Hearts of Stone was in the North East, but same side of the map either way.

The cave where you meet Gaunter O Dimm and Olgierd is in the mountains north of the camp by the Pontar River

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The cave where you meet Gaunter O Dimm and Olgierd is in the mountains north of the camp by the Pontar River

True, I had forgotten! I humbly stand corrected goon sir!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There are a couple of quests you can take in that camp.
One is to find the son of a Nilfgaardian woman. Another is something to do with the quartermaster.
Edit: and there's an optional encounter with the husband of a certain woman in there.

There's also the officer lounge or w/e just before the camp that you can get into masquerading as an officer. There's nothing there sadly.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 26, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

itry posted:

Another is something to do with the quartermaster.

That's the contract.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i feel like dandelion is underserved in this game. he doesnt come across as the talented and erudite bard that he is

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

scary ghost dog posted:

i feel like dandelion is underserved in this game. he doesnt come across as the talented and erudite bard that he is

That's honestly a thing I like about his characterization, but different strokes, obviously. Dandelion and Geralt's whole relationship is based around Legend versus Reality; for all the talk about Dandelion being the most famous and talented bard in the known world, and Geralt being a dashing and daring hero of legend, they're really just a couple of dudes who got very lucky and found a relative amount of success in a crap world. People might expect Geralt to be an emotionless arbiter of justice, but he's really a grumpy dad who likes wolf puns, and Dandelion is a lovesick puppy who still hasn't figured out how to grow up despite being more or less middle aged. That's why they get each other. They're not the legends, they're the people.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

I thought the point was that Dandelion was a clown and considered talented because he's an exaggerating self-promoter.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's a talent!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

That's honestly a thing I like about his characterization, but different strokes, obviously. Dandelion and Geralt's whole relationship is based around Legend versus Reality; for all the talk about Dandelion being the most famous and talented bard in the known world, and Geralt being a dashing and daring hero of legend, they're really just a couple of dudes who got very lucky and found a relative amount of success in a crap world. People might expect Geralt to be an emotionless arbiter of justice, but he's really a grumpy dad who likes wolf puns, and Dandelion is a lovesick puppy who still hasn't figured out how to grow up despite being more or less middle aged. That's why they get each other. They're not the legends, they're the people.

yeah but, the book version of dandelion is clever and talented, and the game version is just a hack. this is probably the thing the tv show got the most right

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

Another Witcher 2-> Witcher 3 question: In Witcher 2 it talks about how Geralt/Letho and crew found and beat the poo poo out of the Wild Hunt at the "hanged man's tree", and that's where Geralt traded himself for Yennefer. My guess is that tree happens to be the same place they hold the Sabbath ritual where you face the Wild Hunt general and Crones. Does anyone have any input on that?

Edit: Also I recognize that there is a literal "hanged man's tree" in Velen when you first start there, but I can't help but feel that, story-wise, the other place makes more sense.

Edit 2: Yay! I'm finally at the part of the first Witcher 3 thread, in early May 2015, just before release, when a post named Utnayan comes in and talks about downgrade poo poo constantly! This was a hoot last time I read it!

The hanged man's tree where Geralt and the Viper Witchers fight the Hunt is south of the Yaruga. Different tree than the one in Velen.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If you look at the average representative of the witcher world it's easy to believe someone like Dandelion would be seen as hot poo poo.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He instantly memorized the curse words after hearing them once and recalled them verbatim for Geralt because he's an expert at poetry and stuff. His persona is that of a buffoon but everyone agrees he's good at barding.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah but, the book version of dandelion is clever and talented, and the game version is just a hack. this is probably the thing the tv show got the most right

I always got the idea that game Dandelion actually was really talented just feckless and immature and prone to abandoning things. He'd produce brilliance and then...nothing And then brilliance again. Also, I got the idea he was brilliant in a way that Geralt and Zoltan didn't much get most of the time so the game basically has those two ragging on him a lot, kind of jokingly but not totally.

So yeah, having not read the book, I never thought he was a hack. Maybe i misread.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
heres a passage from one of the short stories that im just completely incapable of picturing game dandelion in

quote:

At the end, Little Eye and Dandelion sang the celebrated duet of Cynthia and Vertvern, a wonderful song of love, beginning with the words: ‘Many tears have I shed…’ It seemed to Geralt that even the trees bent down to listen to the two of them.
Then Little Eye, smelling of verbena, lay down beside him, squeezed in under his arm, wriggled her head onto his chest, sighed maybe once or twice and fell peacefully asleep. The Witcher fell asleep, much, much later.
Dandelion, staring into the dying embers, sat much longer, alone, quietly strumming his lute.
It began with a few bars, from which an elegant, soothing melody emerged. The lyric suited the melody, and came into being simultaneously with it, the words blending into the music, becoming set in it like insects in translucent, golden lumps of amber.
The ballad told of a certain witcher and a certain poet. About how the witcher and the poet met on the seashore, among the crying of seagulls, and how they fell in love at first sight. About how beautiful and powerful was their love. About how nothing–not even death–was able to destroy that love and part them.

Dandelion knew that few would believe the story told by the ballad, but he was not concerned. He knew ballads were not written to be believed, but to move their audience.
Several years later, Dandelion could have changed the contents of the ballad and written about what had really occurred. He did not. For the true story would not have moved anyone. Who would have wanted to hear that the Witcher and Little Eye parted and never, ever, saw each other again? About how four years later Little Eye died of the smallpox during an epidemic raging in Vizima? About how he, Dandelion, had carried her out in his arms between corpses being cremated on funeral pyres and had buried her far from the city, in the forest, alone and peaceful, and, as she had asked, buried two things with her: her lute and her sky blue pearl. The pearl from which she was never parted.
No, Dandelion stuck with his first version. And he never sang it. Never. To no one.
Right before the dawn, while it was still dark, a hungry, vicious werewolf crept up to their camp, but saw that it was Dandelion, so he listened for a moment and then went on his way.

the game version of dandelion just lacks the depth of emotion i expected after reading the books

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

scary ghost dog posted:

He wrote the song that Priscilla sings, I think that's enough to make it clear that he is genuinely talented.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
actually i think the voice actor is just really bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It could be worse, you could have his VA from Witcher 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was thinking about getting into the novels; do the translations read pretty well?