Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Crosspoted from the Thrift store find thread

I recently went to the Goodwill warehouse in Salem Oregon and found some really neat stuff.

First edition of Native Son from 1940

First edition of Gone With the Wind from '38

90 or 100 year old Teddy Roosevelt book

Meet the Mormons from '62

And 21 assorted Readers Digests from '38 to '46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Nasty Old Randy posted:

I bought a copy of Prisoners of the Good Fight from thriftbooks a while back.
Its an excellent well researched book about captured Anarchists during the Spanish Civil war.

And Its written by a survivor of the Lincoln battalion!

...And he seems to have signed this copy

Nice! I managed to snag a copy myself and he signed it as well, with the same message in fact. I hunted it down doing research on two brothers from my hometown who went off to fight for the Republicans. One of them was apparently brought home on the same ship that brought Geiser back after the war.

Grammarchist fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 24, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Crosspoted from the Thrift store find thread

I recently went to the Goodwill warehouse in Salem Oregon and found some really neat stuff.

First edition of Native Son from 1940

In case you (or anyone else) haven't read this yet, it's a great loving book, too.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Grammarchist posted:

Nice! I managed to snag a copy myself and he signed it as well, with the same message in fact. I hunted it down doing research on two brothers from my hometown who went off to fight for the Republicans. One of them was apparently brought home on the same ship that brought Geiser back after the war.

These are great!

I used to go to "The Bins" on the outskirts of Portland, which was a massive warehouse where everything donated to Goodwill got dumped and sorted. It was filthy and chaotic, but a person could find some gems if they were willing to get dirty. It was about the only time and place I've ever seen reasonable prices for stuff from those bloodsuckers at Goodwill. I seem to remember everything was sold by weight.

Groke posted:

In case you (or anyone else) haven't read this yet, it's a great loving book, too.

Yup. Black Boy is another Richard Wright book everyone should read.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Almost every book I've posted in this thread has come from Goodwill "bins" store in town here. Every day would be three new bins full of fresh books.

That store shut down a couple months ago so my book buying days are limited now (I still go to regular Goodwills, but I'm not a fan of paying $2 for hardbacks.)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, thrifting is a lot harder now that there are people with apps that can recognize a barcode, link it to an item on Amazon, and instantly show the market price. Usually all that is left is picked over crap.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Plus, thrifting is a lot harder now that there are people with apps that can recognize a barcode, link it to an item on Amazon, and instantly show the market price. Usually all that is left is picked over crap.

Yeah I've seen this a lot too. Guys with scanner apps that will go through about 30 books per minute and end up with a cart full at the end.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

wa27 posted:

Yeah I've seen this a lot too. Guys with scanner apps that will go through about 30 books per minute and end up with a cart full at the end.

It's really annoying and they should be banned

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Konstantin posted:

wa27 posted:

These people have ruined one of my favorite hobbies. I rarely even go to thrift stores anymore unless they are in rural areas that don't get a lot of professional pickers.

Garage/ estate sales are the best, but finding the ones with good stuff is pure luck.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The trick is to bait them with textbooks. It's like catnip to those fuckers.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Konstantin posted:

Is this common with book sales at libraries and such? We don't have thrift stores in my haunts, so all the local estate clearances generally result in donations to the local library, which puts older editions on sale pretty regularly. I really need to check those more often.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Konstantin posted:

I thought it was going to be mostly garbage but that Roosevelt book was my first find and really got my book boner growing. I'm excited to see what subsequent books I find.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

One of my recent finds was a textbook from 1905 detailing civil government in Indiana. Not in great condition, but could be worse.

To this day, township trustees in Indiana are "technically" the officials charged with providing welfare for the sick and needy and have at least some funds to do so. There's a depressingly nice tone about "poverty not being a crime" and the need to help people through surgery and treatment. I need to see if any of the local trustee offices have one of those old "I Am Death, to early meet me, neglect your bowels" posters hanging around.

Some fun things to unpack in this section on "Monarchy, Oligarchy and Democracy."

Students were shown how Tsar Nicholas II could throw you in a dungeon without recourse, while King Edward in England could not. Oligarchy is a concept consigned to ancient Greece.

The real interesting thing is the section on Democracy, which specifically states that a society where only literate (qualified) men could vote totally counts. The suffragettes came to Indiana throughout the summer of 1912, when Gov. Thomas Marshall was attempting to change the state constitution to specifically allow only voting rights only to “literate male citizens of the United States who were registered in the state and had paid a poll tax for two years.” Fortunately, Marshall got distracted by becoming Vice President under Wilson, and the state allowed women to vote following the ratification of the 19th Amendment.

Grammarchist fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 25, 2020

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Grammarchist posted:

Is this common with book sales at libraries and such? We don't have thrift stores in my haunts, so all the local estate clearances generally result in donations to the local library, which puts older editions on sale pretty regularly. I really need to check those more often.

Unfortunately yes. Some libraries forbid them, some only at specific times like pre-sales, some libraries go out of their way to say that scanners are welcome. I found that people are so quick to go after anything with an ISBN that they will overlook things that they can't easily cross check on Amazon. Though I stopped going to the local Goodwill outlet because of all the people with scanners who would camp the book bins.

Another good place to look for books is estate auctions. At least at the ones around here, most of the bidders are looking for certain antiques or collectibles and will pass on boxes of books. Also a good place to pick up cheap gently used contemporary furniture.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I picked this up years ago in a second hand book store in Hong Kong. I find that places that people retire to are great for finding weird old books, because no relative is going to schlep grandads musty old books home, they just donate them.
Anyway, the former Bond girl teaches us the basics of self defense by stylishy beating up a succession of overly handy toughs.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Found this for sale at the Y. Maybe I can summon Literally Kermit back to the PYF unnerving thread with it.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I remember reading the Worlds of Power Ninja Gaiden in like third grade, that poo poo was awesome.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I originally posted these in the BudK thread but then I remembered this one exists, from a recent trip to a local used books place that had a little section of ninja/martial arts/Paladin Press/"The Zen of Karate"/"self defend yourself into the county jail on assault charges" books, these two were the most notable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I Don't Even Own A Television has y'all covered if you want to know more about this.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I heard something about that Blaster Master book making up new details and the Japanese developers went on to make sequels that basically went "yeah we'll use those, book is canon"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

C.M. Kruger posted:

I originally posted these in the BudK thread but then I remembered this one exists, from a recent trip to a local used books place that had a little section of ninja/martial arts/Paladin Press/"The Zen of Karate"/"self defend yourself into the county jail on assault charges" books, these two were the most notable.

I have this one; on the surface it's a funny parody of ninja lore as narrated by an eager-to-the-point-of-obsession kid, but then it also paints a rather horrible portrait of an emotionally disturbed, neglected youngster.

Legit good book.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

I heard something about that Blaster Master book making up new details and the Japanese developers went on to make sequels that basically went "yeah we'll use those, book is canon"

I haven't read the book yet, and I haven't played Blaster Master in about 30 years, so I can't verify if that's true. I know I have all of the NES/ SNES games on an emulator on an old hard drive. I need to dig that out.

I think there are ten of these books total:

I've posted the Wizards & Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, and Bionic Commando books earlier in this thread. I haven't gotten around to reading any of those either. Some day...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There are recent Blaster Master Zero games and they are cool and good. Unless you really hate anime, I guess.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Yeah, what was the deal with those Christian versions of Archie Comics? How did they come about?

E: left side of the panel should be in the OP.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pershing posted:

Yeah, what was the deal with those Christian versions of Archie Comics? How did they come about?
The artist and writer on Archie at the time, Al Hartley, became a born-again Christian in the late '60s. When he started doing stuff with Spire Christian Comics (the publisher of these spinoffs) in the early 70s, he was able to convince the president at Archie to let him license their cast.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone post the Gospel Blimp TIA.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Kins posted:

The artist and writer on Archie at the time, Al Hartley, became a born-again Christian in the late '60s. When he started doing stuff with Spire Christian Comics (the publisher of these spinoffs) in the early 70s, he was able to convince the president at Archie to let him license their cast.

Thanks, The Kins!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I thought I'd posted that in the magazine thread, but I just checked my list and I don't think I have. I'll post that there soon.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I have never see The Sex Blimp in color! Nice.

Speaking of Michael Kupperman, I finally read this a couple of months ago:

It is hilarious. Highly recommended, as is all of his stuff.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I have never see The Sex Blimp in color! Nice.

Speaking of Michael Kupperman, I finally read this a couple of months ago:

It is hilarious. Highly recommended, as is all of his stuff.

Can't think of Kupperman and not think of Pablo Picasso: His Amazing Life.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Oh hey, the new issue of Wife Pod is out!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I found this years ago and I regret not buying it

The marginalia kept up that pace for exactly ten pages and then abruptly ended

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Heath posted:

I found this years ago and I regret not buying it

The marginalia kept up that pace for exactly ten pages and then abruptly ended

That is part of the joy (and sometimes, irritation) of buying used books, especially online. It's always interesting to me to see what other people found worthy of highlighting/ underlining/ annotating. I have a few books that must have been attacked by lunatics with hi-lighters, because there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. I see it most in used college textbooks and religious texts, but it spans all genres.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I feel like the guy was trying to roleplay his way into the book a bit by purposely being slightly insane in his highlighting since the book is about a text that drives its readers crazy

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Performative marginalia.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I assumed you were talking about the comic, but when I was scanning that I noticed an ad for a book with the same title:

I had no idea this existed! I just ordered a cheap copy.

Anyway, I'll be posting the comic in the magazine thread in a few minutes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I assumed you were talking about the comic, but when I was scanning that I noticed an ad for a book with the same title:

I had no idea this existed! I just ordered a cheap copy.

Anyway, I'll be posting the comic in the magazine thread in a few minutes.

Jemus. But it makes sense. There's no Satanic story weird enough that it hasn't been published as a book foremost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013