Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thanks guys, Ive been crying a bunch the last few days but like in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Thanks guys, Ive been crying a bunch the last few days but like in a good way

Are you gonna see this person again soon?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Are you gonna see this person again soon?

No Im not going to pursue that for a few different reasons its more that it happened and its possible and I never thought it would happen again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay well that is still good!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I will probably see that person again in August though and well I guess anything is possible

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What's happening in this thread? I don't recognize these emotional words things.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks guys,

redgubbinz posted:

Send him a simple "OK" or regional equivalent as a reply.

did this

cursedshitbox posted:

Shitlord mcdumpowner will probably come back to you in a few weeks or months desperate to unload his hot mess.

That's when you

Sorry chump, that offer was good for this one time, here's the new one and go fuckyourself with cheese grater.

With the plan of doing this

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A person bold enough to write 800 words rejecting an offer would definitely get signed up for some newletters and emails.

and strongly considering this also.

on a different note,

I had the most amazing weekend and something happened that I think helped me get over a stage of grief I literally didnt think was possible even last week. Im so happy and I even ended up having a crush on someone and I dont think my heart will be broken forever anymore :unsmith:
congrats man, thats amazing :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

meatpimp posted:

What's happening in this thread? I don't recognize these emotional words things.

Me got car go brrm

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Grakkus posted:

I made an offer last night on a house that's extremely shabby and run down, and small. The house is basically garbage, but it's sitting on a decent property in an alright place. It was a cash offer equal to the one I made on a place in January that was nearly twice as large and was actually liveable (though also in need of work), about 15% less than the (absurd) asking but still probably way more than it would be worth paying for the place.

This morning I got an 800 word essay by email from him telling me how stupid I am. Among other things, he mentions that if I expect to pay a company to do work on renovating the house I am "either stupid, naive or absurdly rich" and that "anyone who knows that they are doing should be working to fix the house themselves over the space of several years at the cost of materials". And that I should probably be a building engineer to do it properly. He finishes off by telling me that if I don't have the mettle for that sort of work, I be buying a new house from a developer.

What the actual gently caress is wrong with people

Don't ever deal with people that don't have real estate agents.
Don't ever not have a real estate agent.

If poo poo goes sideways they can get messier than a divorce and you need everyone you can get in your corner.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Just be happy that your weatherstripping isn't letting every drop of water from 1/4 of your roof fall directly onto the driver's seat
And to think that I was going to pull the roll of painter's plastic out of my car

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't ever deal with people that don't have real estate agents.
Don't ever not have a real estate agent.

If poo poo goes sideways they can get messier than a divorce and you need everyone you can get in your corner.

My real estate agent essentially told me to gently caress off and that I had no business buying a house at the time. I hated him saying that at the time, especially in front of my fiance, but it's proved itself out at least 3 times over and I will go back to him again because he was so direct and honest

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Edit: Yeah, that came out as more dickhead than humorous.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 27, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Just link that guy Ken's house thread.

Firmly establish dominance.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Grakkus posted:

congrats man, thats amazing :)

Thank you, I can finally see some light

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm working on the trunk lid part of my project, I want to make it strong and rigid, ideally it will last the lifetime of the vehicle. I have these scrap aluminum extrusions and plates, how much do you suppose I need and in what configuration? I was thinking I could either embed the tall sides of extrusion in the plywood with (time consuming) or cut/sand/grind them off so they are only as tall as the inner ridges. Is making the layers overlap important? Seems like it would be a good idea. But it also looks like it'd be pretty strong if I just used 3x or 5x extrusions and call it done.

The lid is roughly 20x43, help me not use every piece of aluminum I can find.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'd lay a thin board right in the valley and screw the extrusions to that.

I have to fly to Dallas (well, just north of Dallas) for work in late March, I think a lot of you are/were from there, what should I do while I'm there? It'll be 5 days over the week, I'll be working during the day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I had the most amazing weekend and something happened that I think helped me get over a stage of grief I literally didnt think was possible even last week. Im so happy and I even ended up having a crush on someone and I dont think my heart will be broken forever anymore :unsmith:

I'm so happy for you!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:glomp:

Elviscat posted:

I have to fly to Dallas (well, just north of Dallas) for work in late March, I think a lot of you are/were from there, what should I do while I'm there? It'll be 5 days over the week, I'll be working during the day.

I spent 21 years there. :v:

Pecan Lodge has some killer BBQ. Deep Ellum (which is where Pecan Lodge is) has a lot of live music venues, though parking is a bitch at night (and it's mostly a punk and metal crowd, teens/20s mostly). If you're gonna be trying to stay up north, downtown Plano has a few nightspots, far west Plano has a decent nightlife as well (Legacy/Dallas North Tollway area). Gonna be mostly 30s-50s crowd up there. Outside of those two parts of Plano, Plano is just boring suburbia, except there's a fantastic philly cheesesteak place on west 15th (the Plano one is the original). Cesar's is my first stop coming into town, followed by Fred's (parents live in Plano, so...).

If you want some drat good tacos or gorditas, Cesar's Tacos is good, but you'll have to go to south Dallas (Oak Cliff). Fuel City Dallas also has good tacos, but they're cash only, and ..... uh, go during the day. It's 24 hours, but don't go at night unless you like getting hustled by people trying to sell CDs and stolen crap.

Northpark is one of the few malls thriving in the US; it's a very upscale mall that's straight out of the 60s - it's aged really well. Worth a look just for the MCM architecture inside.

The Dallas Museum of Art is a great museum. The Nasher is also worth a stop (and it's not too far from DMA). Both are downtown.

The Ft Worth Water Gardens are just downright surreal (several scenes from Logan's Run were shot there), right smack in downtown Ft Worth.

There's a Micro Center on the border of Dallas and Richardson, at 75 and Spring Valley. Fry's is but a shadow of its former self, while MC is still well stocked. And they're not nearly as pushy in there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 27, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Thanks man! I'll specifically be in Carrollton, fwiw.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You poor bastard. :haw: I spent my first few years in DFW in what was then north Carrollton (Hebron/Josey area). I guess it's still northish, but Carrollton's really gone north by a lot since then - back then, there wasn't much north of Hebron. And there's weird parts that suddenly turn into Lewisville (the Castle Hills subdivision alternates between Lewisville and Carrollton).

What part of Carrollton? There's a few bars where The Colony/Plano/Carrollton meet (Austin Ranch), but otherwise it's boring as hell. And the cops there are incredibly bored (go with traffic, don't stand out, and if you're the only car on the road/late at night, DO THE SPEED LIMIT). The West Plano stuff won't be too far if you're in northern Carrollton. If you go west to Lewisville, Sneaky Pete's is there (right on the lake). If you like fishing, there's a 24 hour fishing barge in Lewisville. (Lewisville cops are just as bored, BTW).

Addison isn't too far depending what part of Carrollton - there's a shitload of restaurants and bars there. At one point Addison claimed to have more restaurants per capita than NYC (probably still true, Addison is only 2 square miles). Celestial Park is in Addison and pretty nice, though Addison cops are... again, bored. Park closes at 11, get out of there by 10:30 (it's in a $$$$$ neighborhood). Quorum Park has a neat fountain, used to be secluded until the city cut back all the trees, though the fountain is probably off this time of year. There's a newish (well, in the past decade) development on the SE corner of Beltline and the tollway that has a lot of restaurants and some shopping, it's just barely inside of Addison.

I think I got more tickets in Carrollton than any other city when I lived in DFW.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 27, 2020

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Union Bear is at Sam Rayburn and Dallas North Tollway. Pretty good Mexican beer and food. There's also that Legacy Food Hall nearby that's got some excellent stalls and is an adventure in itself.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Please can anyone tel me how to get my build thread live again? :shobon:

There is a little lock icon and it won’t let me psot

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh boy I sure do love discovering that the guys we hired to paint our dining room, foyer and hallway did a substandard job because I taped off a window frame to paint and when I peeled the tape off it took a goddamned sheet of paint off. We paid for pretty decent paint and I used the best painters tape Menards had in stock as I had this problem back at our rental house.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Please can anyone tel me how to get my build thread live again? :shobon:

There is a little lock icon and it won’t let me psot

THANKS RADIUM

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Oh boy I sure do love discovering that the guys we hired to paint our dining room, foyer and hallway did a substandard job because I taped off a window frame to paint and when I peeled the tape off it took a goddamned sheet of paint off. We paid for pretty decent paint and I used the best painters tape Menards had in stock as I had this problem back at our rental house.

just gonna leave this here.

The tape isn't magic, you need to remove it before the paint is fully cured (but dry on top), an hour or so after painting. Or score it and pull slowly at a 45 degree angle. And you don't always want the best tape either.

3M Blue is generally a good compromise for indoor painting.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 27, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
God drat I could really go for some Pecan Lodge right now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

THANKS RADIUM

There must be a way to do it and why aren’t you a mod anymore? Who will probate me for sass now :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Make a new thread and link to the archived one for the backstory?

And as for your other question.... right up there at the top. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

just gonna leave this here.

The tape isn't magic, you need to remove it before the paint is fully cured (but dry on top), an hour or so after painting. Or score it and pull slowly at a 45 degree angle. And you don't always want the best tape either.

3M Blue is generally the best overall

The walls the tape was on were painted a full year ago. It's cured. We're talking SHEETS of paint came off with it and I was exceptionally careful. 3M Blue is also what I used. These were a crew that my wife's employer has frequently used so we trusted they would do good work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A year ago? There's yer problem lady.

The painters did just fine, but the tape has to come off pretty quickly. Preferably an hour later, but if you score it first you can pull it up to a few weeks later. 3M Blue is a lot more forgiving (it claims to be removable up to 28 days later), but once it really bonds, it's taking paint with it.

The idea is to pull it BEFORE it's cured, but dry to the touch. Once it's cured, you have to cut the paint at the tape line with a knife. Otherwise you get sheets. And worst case you want to pull it within a few days (but still score it at the tape line).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 27, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

The idea is to pull it BEFORE it's cured, but dry to the touch.

I think he means the long-dry paint he put the tape on top of came off stuck to the adhesive, as in it never bonded properly to whatever was below it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

There must be a way to do it and why aren’t you a mod anymore? Who will probate me for sass now :(

Nope. Once a thread gets archive locked, she's chooched.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think he means the long-dry paint he put the tape on top of came off stuck to the adhesive, as in it never bonded properly to whatever was below it.

Still, he left it on there for a year.

3M itself says not to leave it on more than 28 days. Their blue tape is the most forgiving out of any painter's tape too. About the only tape that's not going to take paint off after that long is scotch tape (... maybe).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys are not getting what I am saying. The paint on the walls was cured a year ago. I taped and painted the window frame over the course of the last three days. And I did score the edge as well as this isn't my first rodeo. The tape was put on 72 hours ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ah.

Probably a failure of surface prep under the paint then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Ah.

Probably a failure of surface prep under the paint then.

That's what I'm guessing. I watched a few tutorials, I might be able to blend the lost paint with some care. I'm not going to go to the trouble of stripping the entire room, not right now anyways.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh. :downsgun:

Yeah, poor prep in that case, as long as you didn't go hulk when you pulled the tape off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, like I said, we had some issues at the rental so I was being very careful, fresh blade in the knife and everything.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

That's what I'm guessing. I watched a few tutorials, I might be able to blend the lost paint with some care. I'm not going to go to the trouble of stripping the entire room, not right now anyways.

Also, blue tape will rip the urethane off of wood floors. It's called painter's tape, but the adhesive is serious business as far as masking tapes go

I know it's far too late now and you didn't know that it was delicate work in the first place, but you want green or yellow tape for delicate work

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't frustrate me, I have both of those in the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

THANKS RADIUM

I love that book.

STR posted:

Oh. :downsgun:

Yeah, poor prep in that case, as long as you didn't go hulk when you pulled the tape off.

Goddamn, son, reading comprehension much? (I keed - we all do it from time to time.)

The Door Frame posted:

Also, blue tape will rip the urethane off of wood floors. It's called painter's tape, but the adhesive is serious business as far as masking tapes go

I know it's far too late now and you didn't know that it was delicate work in the first place, but you want green or yellow tape for delicate work

To be fair, taping to fully-cured wall paint shouldn't have been delicate work. That's frigging frustrating.