Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

someone once pointed out that nowadays the most direct lead exposure is from lead ammo casings, and it definitely makes u wonder about the gun chuds
Firing ranges are some of the most lead-contaminated places in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

someone once pointed out that nowadays the most direct lead exposure is from lead ammo casings, and it definitely makes u wonder about the gun chuds

indoor ranges are absolutely disgusting with lead dust and I don't wonder at all, it's pretty obvious

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The cases are made from brass though

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

FMguru posted:

Firing ranges are some of the most lead-contaminated places in the country.

so lead contaminated they dig it up and make it into new bullets

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
one local range expanded its' range and the construction workers were so contaminated by it, that his kids tested positive for lead poisoning

http://projects.seattletimes.com/2014/loaded-with-lead/2/

https://projects.seattletimes.com/2014/loaded-with-lead/1/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Don't get me wrong, I sure as hell don't want to be the one digging up the sand berm full of lead.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Call me crazy but I don't understand why we still use lead ammunition domestically. Gun people can probably explain it to me but as a random idiot bystander it just seems we're polluting the countryside and game animals with lead.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I think one of the big ironies of fake news bullshit is that we've known about this problem since 2009 when FYID posted a bunch of goatse links during the Iranian election.

Critters known their platform had enormous misinformation potential but did nothing except to add some blue checks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hillary 2020 posted:

Call me crazy but I don't understand why we still use lead ammunition domestically. Gun people can probably explain it to me but as a random idiot bystander it just seems we're polluting the countryside and game animals with lead.

You should see how mad gun chuds get about legislation mandating non-lead shotgun ammo for hunting. Mind you, not all hunting, just waterfowl.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hillary 2020 posted:

It's cheap and does bullet-y type jobs way better than the much more expensive alternatives

There is lead-free shot for birding but people only buy it when forced to and that's like the least demanding possible niche

If you mean "why hasn't America legislated away the public health problems with widespread gun ownership", lol

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Feb 27, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hillary 2020 posted:

on a bmw forum i witnessed a crazy gun nut claim that california banning lead ammunition use in areas that affect condors was a conspiracy to stop gun owners from...i dont know really

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

There is some new interest in copper bullets these days, IIRC its for big game where you don't want deformation of the bullet which happens to lead. But otherwise lead is dense, and that makes it a good projectile.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Lead really is a wonder metal - cheap, abundant, non-reactive, easy to extract, easy to work by hand, and extremely dense. it would have a thousand and one uses except for that whole, uh, neurotoxicity thing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Aside from it being cheaper than the alternatives and "how dare the government tell me not to do something," it's not unlikely these people are sitting on thousands of rounds that they panic bought during the obama administration or 2016.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, does this mean "depleted uranium rounds" is just a fancy way of saying "lead rounds"?

Yes I know that's not what they're referring to. :joke:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Volcott posted:

Aside from it being cheaper than the alternatives and "how dare the government tell me not to do something," it's not unlikely these people are sitting on thousands of rounds that they panic bought during the obama administration or 2016.

Lead doesn't cause problems by just being around, it need to be a vapor or form a compound with something.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
weird how all those redblooded american sport fishermen didn't freak out about leadless fishing weights being introduced

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Aren't lead fishing weights still a thing? I don't fish but I'm pretty sure I saw them for sale recently.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they are, but the leadless stuff is marketed as "nontoxic"

they're mostly bismuth iirc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hillary 2020 posted:

rifling, lead adjusts to the grooves so the bullet is spun properly. Steel doesn't and damages it and then flies off god knows where

guns that don't require rifling like shotguns, steelshot is perfectly fine to use, but people still get furious because they hate change and right down to their very core do not care if a water supply is poisoned if it means they can enjoy themselves for an afternoon in a way that doesn't cost them an extra couple dollars

taqueso posted:

Aren't lead fishing weights still a thing? I don't fish but I'm pretty sure I saw them for sale recently.

they are and people should really not be using them anymore

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

taqueso posted:

so lead contaminated they dig it up and make it into new bullets

there's a whole bunch of videos on youtube of people doing this on an amateur basis and it's them melting down like 8 pounds of lead in a poorly ventilated garage or shack lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FMguru posted:

Lead really is a wonder metal - cheap, abundant, non-reactive, easy to extract, easy to work by hand, and extremely dense. it would have a thousand and one uses except for that whole, uh, neurotoxicity thing.

well, looks like it's time to turn to genetic engineering to unlock the power of lead through lead-based life

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

there's a whole bunch of videos on youtube of people doing this on an amateur basis and it's them melting down like 8 pounds of lead in a poorly ventilated garage or shack lol
There is a handful of goons that do it, but I think they were goons before the lead smelting started so the cause must be something else.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FMguru posted:

Lead, mercury, and asbestos were the building blocks of early industrial society and it's absolutely wild how much poo poo people packed them in before everyone started worrying about poo poo like "killing your customers"

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Feb 27, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they were still using asbestos insulation in the 90s lol

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Hillary 2020 posted:

The us military is moving away from using lead in any ammunition

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Lead, mercury, and asbestos were the building blocks of early industrial society and it's absolutely wild how much poo poo people packed them in before everyone started worrying about poo poo like "killing your customers"

Not to mention coal.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The us military is moving away from using lead in any ammunition

Thank god for depleted uranium I guess?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

doingitwrong posted:

put that in domestic ammo, call it military grade

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

doingitwrong posted:

Yeah they are just using different dense metals.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

For the hardcore Trump supporters, his campaign took on the character of a crusade.

Conservative voters can't distinguish real shifts in power from fleeting elements of the culture war, so they were never thinking about the nuts and bolts of policy. Instead they imagined that a Trump presidency would inaugurate sweeping revanchist social change to make things like they imagined they were in the 50s. This is why, in the first year of his presidency, you saw insane poo poo like "Protect Barron!" and sincere belief in an imminent coup by antifa super soldiers. They were desperate to recapture that feeling of being part of a movement that was winning and creating social change.

So in that environment, you can understand why a small fraction of people just thought, hey, Trump is president, I can scream the n-word at strangers in public now.

Hell, you saw some of that on this forum in the immediate aftermath of 11/9. Remember TheSaurus? Huge massive gleeful nazi meltdown banme within days of the election. There were others in GBS doing the same in the month or so afterwards.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not to mention coal.

I was gonna say honorable mention to that and cyanide but we still use both all the fuckin time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hillary 2020 posted:

gun people are extremely powerfully politically and also extremely stupid

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

What worries me is that stories about race based bullying being all the rage these days keeps coming up on the news. Yesterday a work friend was writing a letter to a school sports league because he'd been a game over the weekend where students from the rival school had been making monkey noises at their players. That kind of poo poo wouldn't have happened when I was in high school, mind you I went to public school and not some lovely prep school. Pewdiepie's core demographic reaching adulthood concerns me a bit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hem-coach-says/

quote:

Youth football coach Marcus Burkley knew there would be backlash if his players knelt during the national anthem. He just never thought it would be this severe.
When three members of Burkley’s all-black team took a knee during a Saturday night game in Bethel Park, Pa., people in the stands began shouting racial slurs at them, eventually becoming so aggressive that police were called to keep the peace, he said.
“Once they took a knee, you see cameras and people taking pictures,” Burkley, who is also African American, told WPXI. “And out of nowhere you just hear, ‘If the little n-word want to take a knee, they shouldn’t be able to play.’”
As the game proceeded, Burkley said, some of his 12- and 13-year-old players told him they heard the same thing on the field from the opposing team. He said neither he nor his Woodland Hills Wolverines had encountered anything like it in the two years they have played in the league.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

old white people get insanely angry when black people kneel during the flag song, it's amazing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

old white people get insanely angry when black people kneel during the flag song, it's amazing

yeah that really really really broke their minds

I’d just say “knelling is a sign of respect ???” but it would get no where lol

like kneeling is literally respectful hahah

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

We should start having kneeling parties, to own the libs or whoever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

taqueso posted:

We should start having kneeling parties, to own the libs or whoever
This but lemon parties.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I was gonna say honorable mention to that and cyanide but we still use both all the fuckin time

Yeah but we don't have a REASON to use coal (for what it was most.used back then) anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just read A Painted House by John Grisham which is about a 7 year old in NE Arkansas learning a lot over one particular September and October in 1952 and the big thing is that he spends his cotton picking money on some paint for their house because a painted house is a status symbol and I'm thinking "That paint is full of lead. That kid is going to get lead poisoning." This is not addressed in the text.