Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Vorkosigan posted:

Important note: wrecks were unmoveable, so if something was blocked then WHELP

Back in the day we happy goons had a jolly time getting drunk and seeing how many times we could completely gently caress up that one map with the three bridges through strategic use of Churchill IIIs.

Two or three times we managed to block all three bridges and it completely hosed everything up.

It helps when you sync drop with other goons using Churchills on the enemy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

i also liked when tanks were boats whose geometry never left the ground and you could drive off hills

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The engine hp is extremely low, so more fires. Still, next time the -44-100 is on sale for gold I'm getting it.

Engine module HP doesn't cause more fires. A shot that hits the engine and doesn't damage it has the same percent chance of causing an engine fire as a shot that damages the engine or one that outright destroys it, based on the listed engine fire % on the engine module.

Fuel tank destruction is the instant fire.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Speaking of fire, just got a double fire through the drive wheel of a Chrysler GF:
https://i.imgur.com/ux9ZU3p.mp4

D.J. Booger
Jul 19, 2001
:lol: at using manual fire extinguishers.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

D.J. Booger posted:

:lol: at using fire extinguishers.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hey, so what mods are worth using now? I see a lot of them have been integrated...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BitBasher posted:

Hey, so what mods are worth using now? I see a lot of them have been integrated...

https://tanksmod.com/minion-crew-mod/

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
3600 damage in a tier 8 is only good enough for second class on the t44. why?

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 27, 2020

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

3600 damage in a tier 8 is only good enough for second class on the t44. why?

Because it can see tier tens, so if you get the perfect game of braindead teammates and braindead enemies, you can farm a lot of damage on tanks two tiers higher than you.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i struggle to win and do enough damage in it :(

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

I spent a little while sitting at 45.80% WR for awhile and recently I felt like my brain molded and learned. Renegade is extremely good

Also to be fair according to wotlabs I have a 49.x~% in the past 90 days. And I have been a lot more confident in my games. Also im starting to see why this game is bad and oh god what have I done

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

perfectly reasonable.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im getting better too! i used to struggle with the firefly and now i got my second mark!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So I decided to make one of my Redeye Effort Posts, because in my opinion the upcoming change to the US tech tree is actually super important, and it deserves a more thorough look.

Most of the tech trees that had/have extensive branches now look a lot more like this at the bottom--starting to branch at tiers 3 and 4 into lines that run all the way up. For the US, that starts with the M3 Stuart into the M5 and the T6 Medium, which then branches off the other major lines with arty running from the tank destroyers. The massive former stumbling block that was the M3 Lee has been retired from the regular progression, in favor of the T6.

But, you might ask, what the hell is a T6 Medium?

MEDIUM TANK T6

Tanks Encyclopedia can explain this in excruciating detail better than me, but in short: it's the prototype Sherman. T6 was the test model that they ran at Aberdeen to test final proof of concept and make final initial changes before starting production of the M4.

This both immediately does and does not look like a Sherman at first glance. The hull shape is unmistakable, but a large number of elements from the M3 Lee were used to make sure the prototype was available to drive--the entire lower hull, for instance, is a Lee hull, as you can tell from the running gear. There's other semi-archaic elements that would quickly disappear as well, such as the side hull doors and the commander's machine-gun cupola at the very top of the turret (which was removed so fast that it's there in photos of the first day of testing and gone from photos of the next day, such as this one). There's also the fixed machine guns in the front of the tank, which could only be aimed by steering the whole hull--early Shermans kept these for some reason, and they were removed pretty quickly. You also can't see it, but the engine bay is holding the same R-975 engine that was used on drat near every American tank at some point.

The big eye-catcher is the huge bit on the gun, though--that's an M2 75mm gun, which is 31 caliber or L/31, meaning the gun is 31 times as long as the bore is wide. The gun mount was designed for the M3 75mm, which is 40 caliber instead, but wasn't available when they started testing--so they had to put in the shorter M2, which made it breech-heavy and required putting that massive counterweight on the end. If you really squint you can kind of make out the counterweight in the T6's icon on that tech tree screenshot up above.

The tests were, largely, a success, as evidenced by the fact that they produced the Sherman, which went on to become (arguably) the war's greatest tank.

= = =

So why am I telling you all this? Well, the Lee suffered from being extremely tall, and this tank is no different. But it had the ability to mount the devastating M3 75mm gun, held back only by it being sponson-mounted and unwieldy.

T6 doesn't have that problem. It was designed to put that M3 gun in a proper turret, so no more getting shot when the bits of your tank way above the gun poke out. And that turret is sitting on top of what is, basically, a stock M4A1. With the stock Sherman's 90mm of effective upper glacis armor. And the same engine as the stock Sherman, meaning mostly the same mobility.

At tier 4.

There is no way the T6 is going to keep the Lee's insane DPM, because it would be OBSCENELY strong. But I think this tank should be way more than an adequate replacement--the playstyle should be nearly identical to the Sherman but one tier lower. I expect the soft stats to be worse in some way to compensate, though don't ask me which ones. It should still be a great tank, though, which is good, because new players are going to have to put a LOT of time into this tank to unlock all three lines branching off it--but it should be much, MUCH more comfortable than the Lee was.

I'm also going to leave you with this piece of information for you to dream about.

quote:

The turret was to have a removable plate to allow the fitting of a selection of armament combinations. Five possibilities were considered:
(1) One 75mm (2.95”) gun M2 with a .30” (7.62mm) coaxial machine gun.
(2) Two 37mm (1.45”) guns M6 with a .30” (7.62mm) coaxial machine gun.
(3) One 105mm (4.13”) howitzer with a .30” (7.62mm) coaxial machine gun.
(4) Three .50” (12.7mm) machine guns mounted for high angle anti-aircraft fire.
(5) One British Qf 6pdr (57mm) high velocity gun with a .30” (7.62mm) coaxial machine gun.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 27, 2020

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

But, you might ask, what the hell is a T6 Medium?

Thanks for this post, it's quite interesting! I was wondering if the new tanks were going to be worth picking up, and it sounds like the T6 at least definitely will be!

The others are the BT-5, which is in all likelihood going to be another fun fast-as-gently caress BT-series tank, so I'll likely pick it up as well, plus the Cavalier, which I think someone already mentioned as being a development of the Cromwell :shrug: but it also looks good.

I'm not sure why they had to remove a bunch of low-tier tanks so they could add in a few new ones; it feels like typical rear end-backwards development from WG I guess. The only meaningful change is as you mentioned, using the T6 to replace the Lee which will go a long ways towards improving the new player experience.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
It prevents newbies from spreading out as drastically at the start of the game and blowing all their seed money and XP on a huge array of vehicles that never get higher than tier 3. Plus there's a lot of tanks that either duplicate each others' abilities or come very close, and most all of those have gotten the axe.

They've also taken the opportunity to get rid of some of the biggest and most painful low-tier trap tanks; ALL of the lovely Japanese low-tier heavies are gone, and so is the D.W. 2.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The thing I don't like about low tier tanks is you can grind them out in 1-30 games but the crew training and equipment is the same price as tier 10. I feel like it's worth using free xp to just start from tier 5 or 6 where I might play enough games to justify training a crew for the tank.
You tank collectors must be made of money. How are you buying a garage slot for all those low tier tanks you never even look at.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

2Jets posted:

The thing I don't like about low tier tanks is you can grind them out in 1-30 games but the crew training and equipment is the same price as tier 10. I feel like it's worth using free xp to just start from tier 5 or 6 where I might play enough games to justify training a crew for the tank.
You tank collectors must be made of money. How are you buying a garage slot for all those low tier tanks you never even look at.

I don't think many people play it like pokemon. Personally, I keep 1 tank of each tier 1-5, and then have a few tier 6, 7, 9 and 10, and then a shitload of tier 8s. Events seem to give out garage slots like candy.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
:gifttank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EeZfX186Wo :gifttank: so i got 4 camos 3 female commanders and uh that tank that is very bad when people can see your hull or if there is any arty, clan wars .. decent reward ah yeah and then a bonus tier 7 junk tank

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 27, 2020

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I got 15 to 20 garage slots just from Christmas boxes since all the low tier premium duplicates you get give you gold and a garage slot. Once you've been playing for a while you'll be swimming in them. I've got 100+ right now, likely more than I will ever use.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

saintonan posted:

I got 15 to 20 garage slots just from Christmas boxes since all the low tier premium duplicates you get give you gold and a garage slot. Once you've been playing for a while you'll be swimming in them. I've got 100+ right now, likely more than I will ever use.

id like more garage slots mines full at 300 tanks i am always waiting on sales for em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8hKv9cIiNc you boys lookin for magnetic shells? well this tank has em! (watch at 0.25 speed)

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 27, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/tyHebks.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/tMoGHNe.mp4

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5251089#westfield-mariuslecter-object_416

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Back in the day we happy goons had a jolly time getting drunk and seeing how many times we could completely gently caress up that one map with the three bridges through strategic use of Churchill IIIs.

Two or three times we managed to block all three bridges and it completely hosed everything up.

It helps when you sync drop with other goons using Churchills on the enemy team.

The days of heroically dying on a bridge to force a draw in a 15-2 route. There was also a map that had an island in the middle of a marsh or something. You could only get onto the island if a heavy tank broke the tank stoppers clogging the lane. Everybody hated that map, but I really enjoyed it. Wish they would bring that one back.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
This game is cursed.

Redeye and I played a game while chatting in Discord talking about my T7 tank collection lacking. And how I made a terrible business decision when I purchased the USA version of the scorpion. Mind you. I played this tank very wrong but at the same time I was punishing flanks while being very mobile behind cover. Mainly slapped around higher tier tanks who were not looking at me:

If anyone wants the replay I can upload it. Also I wished I had it recorded live. I was cracking up when I saw the battle results and how lucky I got during the game.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Doing my part by typing "Bernie Sanders will execute all arty players at his inauguration" at the beginning of every match. :berninator:

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

BadLlama posted:

perfectly reasonable.

damage spreading out like your resolution ha

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TracerM17 posted:

The days of heroically dying on a bridge to force a draw in a 15-2 route. There was also a map that had an island in the middle of a marsh or something. You could only get onto the island if a heavy tank broke the tank stoppers clogging the lane. Everybody hated that map, but I really enjoyed it. Wish they would bring that one back.

That map would be Komarin. And yes, I enjoyed it as well. Minly I think because it was one of my earlier maps I played a game in back in closed beta. And back then, tracers were still a thing. That map looked amazing with all the active tracers going off (and that includes watching arty shells leave the back of the map to arc up and come down on you or a teammate).

Speaking of closed beta, this image isn't that old, but it is a laugh our old timers to WoT will should remember fondly.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JuffoWup posted:

That map would be Komarin. And yes, I enjoyed it as well. Minly I think because it was one of my earlier maps I played a game in back in closed beta. And back then, tracers were still a thing. That map looked amazing with all the active tracers going off (and that includes watching arty shells leave the back of the map to arc up and come down on you or a teammate).

Speaking of closed beta, this image isn't that old, but it is a laugh our old timers to WoT will should remember fondly.

:allears:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Did anyone ever ask them what their "evidence" was?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

saintonan posted:

Did anyone ever ask them what their "evidence" was?

They were probably an Africa clan so yeah, it was basically a bunch of 47%ers complaining we were cheaters because Chair decided to pick up all of our chips and do a crusader across Africa.

Which might I add, was probably the must fun I ever had doing CW in this game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Turmoilx posted:

damage spreading out like your resolution ha

:saddowns:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

They were probably an Africa clan so yeah, it was basically a bunch of 47%ers complaining we were cheaters because Chair decided to pick up all of our chips and do a crusader across Africa.

Which might I add, was probably the must fun I ever had doing CW in this game.

I don't think this was the cause of this. It was literally clan of 45-47%-ers and our ability to actually aim and shoot in random matches is what prompted this. You know how the bads always claimed cheating for anyone better than them.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also things like any blind shot connecting ever will set them off

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I forgot how unbelievably loving miserable this game is whenever there's a marathon going on.

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I forgot how unbelievably loving miserable this game is.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JuffoWup posted:

I don't think this was the cause of this. It was literally clan of 45-47%-ers and our ability to actually aim and shoot in random matches is what prompted this. You know how the bads always claimed cheating for anyone better than them.

Very true. We all know that map knowledge, memorizing reload times, and actually aiming are signs of cheating.

It's weird, I like want to play but every time I log on I just gently caress around for 5 minutes then log off.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mark David Chapman posted:

I forgot how unbelievably loving miserable this game is.

thank you all for helping me to never forget

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I know you can only do your best and it's hard as hell to truly carry games but my god does it feel like I'm trapped in a random number generator feeding me only the most incompetent pubs as teammates as I lose ten games in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i feel like the games are usually in my hands. if i play bad i lose, if i play good i win. when there is not a lot of players on the games are a lot more coinflip tho, the matchmaker is a forced to create uneven games it feels like