Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is the media at least bringing up Mike Pence literally caused an AIDS outbreak? That feels like a big minus for him being in charge of

*checks notes*

a highly infectious virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

is the media at least bringing up Mike Pence literally caused an AIDS outbreak? That feels like a big minus for him being in charge of

*checks notes*

a highly infectious virus.

it will hit at some point on MSM. shits gonna get openly worse.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

When 7 million people die in the US from coronavius over a year, and no one can get treated because the health system just seizes up when it's stained at all, i really hope some actual change takes place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Change like the election being cancelled.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

He blamed the stock market crash on the democratic debates and then made a few jokes about not holding the handrails on the escalator to prevent getting sick and the WH press pool lost their poo poo laughing at how funny President Deals was at his supposedly super serious press conference on the virus that's probably days to hours away from tipping into pandemic territory.

Remember when that comedienne with red hair did the entertainment at the annual party for washington media and the news covered it for a whole week? These people suck.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I trust the man who's doctor had to hide cauliflower in his mashed potatoes

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump could serve 80 terms as President and would still not understand even 10% of how government actually operates

The hiring process for federal government employees can take many months depending on if security background checks are needed.

Trump could live an infinitely long lifespan like a Warhammer 40K emperor and still would never understand how his government works because he just doesn’t care. He declares the thing he wants and it’s up to whoever he’s yelling at to fill in the gaps. If there’s more to getting something done than that then he gets bored and wanders away to watch Fox News and complain on Twitter to feel better.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I trust the man who's doctor had to hide cauliflower in his mashed potatoes

I know poo poo has the potential to explode right now but this still makes me laugh like an idiot.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think it was ever containable. It's a virus where people can be infected but be asymptomatic for up to 14 days, and the only way to confirm that you have the virus without symptoms is a CT scan, which you can't exactly do to everyone entering the country or having contact with Americans.

Yep.

We can still be happy as the orange poo poo smear continues to waft about for 4 years from one PR fuckup to another though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/status/1232841137930559490

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

sexpig by night posted:

I missed the presser getting ready to go on a trip on saturday (lol airport should be fun), how bad was it

It was so bad that Stock markets across Asia began to fall in response to it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
what worries me is poo poo gets worse and trump being trump says gently caress it and declares victory. we know if poo poo gets bad he will just gurgle about how great everything is.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i look forward to trump throwing paper towels at sick people

By many accounts Trump's phobic of germs; he probably handed this off to Pence specifically because he doesn't want to deal with any possibility of a photo op within miles of an infected person, or the sheer paranoia caused by briefings is wrecking him. It's almost poetic that this is on his watch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Helith posted:

It was so bad that Stock markets across Asia began to fall in response to it.

man if I had any savings or investments I'd be so hosed up

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nitrousoxide posted:

When 7 million people die in the US from coronavius over a year, and no one can get treated because the health system just seizes up when it's stained at all, i really hope some actual change takes place.

We have zero confirmed cases of Coronavirus in our metro area and all our local emergency rooms were butts-to-nuts with sneezy, wheezy folks from the crack of dawn until I got off shift.

If we throw millions of cases of covid on this we are fuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Pence is gonna try to pray the germs away. You just wait and see, that’s exactly what’s gonna happen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

LeeMajors posted:

We have zero confirmed cases of Coronavirus in our metro area and all our local emergency rooms were butts-to-nuts with sneezy, wheezy folks from the crack of dawn until I got off shift.

If we throw millions of cases of covid on this we are fuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

We have zero confirmed cases because we've only tested like 400 people nationally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/25/cdc-coronavirus-test/

quote:

Problems with a government-created coronavirus test have limited the United States’ capacity to rapidly increase testing, just as the outbreak has entered a worrisome new phase in countries worldwide. Experts are increasingly concerned that the small number of U.S. cases may be a reflection of limited testing, not of the virus’s spread.

While South Korea has run more than 35,000 coronavirus tests, the United States has tested only 426 people, not including people who returned on evacuation flights. Only about a dozen state and local laboratories can now run tests outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta because the CDC kits sent out nationwide earlier this month included a faulty component.

U.S. guidelines recommend testing for a very narrow group of people — those who display respiratory symptoms and have recently traveled to China or had close contact with an infected person.

But many public health experts think that in light of evidence that the disease has taken root and spread in Iran, Italy, Singapore and South Korea, it’s time to broaden testing in the United States. Infectious disease experts fear that aside from the 14 cases picked up by public health surveillance, there may be other undetected cases mixed in with those of colds and flu. What scares experts the most is that the virus is beginning to spread in countries outside China, but no one knows whether that’s the case in the United States, because they aren’t checking.

“Coronavirus testing kits have not been widely distributed to our hospitals and public health labs. Those without these kits must send samples all the way to Atlanta, rather than testing them on site, wasting precious time as the virus spreads,” said Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.).

In a congressional hearing Tuesday, Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) pressed Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar on whether the CDC test was faulty. He denied that the test did not work.

But in a news briefing that was going on about the same time, Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said that she was “frustrated” about problems with the test kits and that the CDC hoped to send out a new version to state and local health departments soon.

“I think we are close,” she said. She said that the agency is working as fast as possible on the tests, but that the priority is making sure they are accurate.

Currently, she said, a dozen state and local health departments can do the testing, although positive results need to be confirmed by the CDC. She also said she hoped that tests from commercial labs would soon come online.

Messonnier said the agency was weighing widening its testing protocols to include people traveling to the United States from countries beyond mainland China, considering the rapid spread of the virus in other places in recent days.

The nation’s public health laboratories, exasperated by the malfunctioning tests in the face of a global public health emergency, have taken the unusual step of appealing to the Food and Drug Administration for permission to develop and use their own tests. In Hawaii, authorities are so alarmed about the lack of testing ability that they requested permission from the CDC to use tests from Japan. A medical director at a hospital laboratory in Boston is developing an in-house test, but is frustrated that his laboratory won’t be able to use it without going through an onerous and time-consuming review process, even if demand surges.

“This is an extraordinary request, but this is an extraordinary time,” said Scott Becker, the chief executive of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, which is asking the FDA for permission to allow the laboratories to create and implement their own laboratory-developed tests.

At one hospital in the Mid-Atlantic region, a patient who recently returned from Singapore, which has 90 cases, was admitted to the hospital with mild upper respiratory symptoms, according to a hospital official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect the patient’s privacy. The patient tested negative for flu. Because of underlying medical conditions, the person was at higher risk for severe illness if this was a coronavirus infection.

Even though clinicians suspected coronavirus, and treated the person for it and placed the patient in isolation, the patient was not tested.

“If this person had returned from mainland China, they would have been tested for coronavirus,” the official said. The patient recovered and was discharged to their home.

Testing also affects other aspects of care.

People with confirmed cases can enroll in clinical trials for therapeutics. For patients who need more intense care in a facility with a biocontainment unit, that facility can receive reimbursement from the federal government for care, the official said.

The CDC announced a week and a half ago that it would add pilot coronavirus testing to its flu surveillance network in five cities, a step toward expanded testing of people with respiratory symptoms who didn’t have other obvious risk factors. Specimens that test negative for flu will be tested for coronavirus. But that expanded testing has been delayed because of an unspecified problem with one of the compounds used in the CDC test. About half of state labs got inconclusive results when using the compound, so the CDC said it would make a new version and redistribute it.

To public health experts, the delays — and lack of transparency about what, exactly, is wrong with the test — are extremely concerning.

“We have over 700 flights every month between Hawaii and Japan or South Korea,” where the virus is spreading in the community, said Hawaii Lt. Gov. Josh Green (D), who is also an emergency physician. It’s unlikely that the CDC would allow state labs to accept a test from another nation, he said, but “this is an exceptional circumstance.”

In a letter to the FDA, the Association of Public Health Laboratories, which represents state and local laboratories, asked the agency to use “enforcement discretion” to allow the laboratories to create and use their own laboratory-developed tests.

“While we appreciate the many efforts underway at CDC to provide a diagnostic assay to our member labs … this has proven challenging and we find ourselves in a situation that requires a quicker local response,” said the letter, which was co-signed by Becker. “We are now many weeks into the response with still no diagnostic or surveillance test available outside of CDC for the vast majority of our member laboratories.”

Because a public health emergency has been declared, certified hospital laboratories that usually have the ability to internally develop and validate their own tests can’t use them without applying for an “emergency use authorization,” a major barrier to deploying the test.

“I think a lot of people, myself included, think it’s very likely this virus might be circulating at low levels in the United States right now. We can’t know for sure because we haven’t seen it,” said Michael Mina, associate medical director of clinical microbiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He said the optimal testing scenario for flu is a 30-minute turnaround on a test, but right now, shipping samples to Atlanta to test for coronavirus means a 48-hour wait.

“A lot of hospitals are trying to do something similar, which is get a test up and running on an instrument, get it validated in-house,” Mina said. “I think all of us are coming to the same realization that we can’t do anything as long as this remains under the control of CDC and state labs.”

Marion Koopmans, a virologist at the Erasmus University Medical Center in the Netherlands, which has performed a few hundred tests on behalf of more than a dozen countries, said that developing a test for a new pathogen is complicated and involves refinement and a back-and-forth between researchers who are constantly learning from one another.

“That is typical for a new disease outbreak. No one actually knows how this works, so you really have to build these assays on the fly,” Koopmans said.

But as the United States struggled to ramp up its capacity, the coronavirus test was added to the sentinel flu surveillance system in the Netherlands two weeks ago. The test was recently rolled out to 12 high-performing molecular diagnostic laboratories in the Netherlands so that they can be ready to scale up if demand increases.

Part of the problem in the still-struggling United States is the tension between regulations intended to ensure a high-quality standard for tests and the need to roll out diagnostic capabilities very quickly. No test is perfect, and with high stakes for missing or misidentifying a case, public health officials want to make sure that tests are as accurate as possible and are validated by labs that run them. But the slowness may also reflect years of underinvestment in public health infrastructure — and a bias toward developing treatments that may seem more appealing to the public.

“The public health system is not sufficiently built to surge very rapidly,” said Luciana Borio, the former director of Medical and Biodefense Preparedness Policy at the National Security Council and now a vice president at In-Q-Tel, a strategic investor that supports the U.S. intelligence community. “Over the years, when given limited dollars, we applied it toward vaccines and therapeutics, more so than diagnostic tests. I think there’s this idea: The diagnostic test is not going to save my life. But the fact is they underpin so much of the response and deserve a lot more attention.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/yayitsrob/status/1232829263587561474?s=20

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BigglesSWE posted:

This press conference just makes it all the more obvious that he's nowhere near fit for any sort of campaign debate this year.

So this is gon' be good.

I hate to tell you, but there is absolutely zero chance Trump will debate his opponent. He will say he refused to do it because the Fake News gave the challenger the answers again, so he's not taking part in it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaxyon posted:

The Hot Zone was published in 1994 and that's when it got on most people's radars.

lol years later I had to read this for my high school micro class

ketchup vs catsup posted:

It would be really amazing if coronavirus ended up being 100% lethal to trump supporters

Case-fatality rate for SARS, another coronavirus, is over 50% for over-65s.

SARS was also a big deal in Canada several years ago but didn’t get too bad. It had lower Infectability but was deadlier if you got it.

Young Freud posted:

I'm concerned. Should I get a couple of weeks worth of food now in case of large-scale shutdowns?

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not. Do you live in Hubei province or nearby? Yes. If not, no. Stores in North America are not going to all shut down.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
we really should try for treason whatever idiot it was that informed Trump of the CDC's existence. We def could've just kept him in the dark about the cdcs existence for years and it would've been worth it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we really should try for treason whatever idiot it was that informed Trump of the CDC's existence. We def could've just kept him in the dark about the cdcs existence for years and it would've been worth it

P sure he’s known for a while, because he has to know who to yell at when he’s busy claiming that vaccines cause autism

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

well, I'm sure we don't need them

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If he asked they could have just said it stood for something else that he wouldn't look into.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

We have zero confirmed cases because we've only tested like 400 people nationally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/25/cdc-coronavirus-test/

Sure.

My point is that our tapestry of Emergency Departments are held together with spit and cum and will disintegrate once the actual pandemic really really rolls onshore.

Even running 911 we are pretty much obliterated every day. Storm comin.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Young Freud posted:

I'm concerned. Should I get a couple of weeks worth of food now in case of large-scale shutdowns?

It can't hurt, to be honest, especially if you live in a major city area. You don't need to go prepper (because water, electricity etc. will likely still be fine) but a full pantry and freezer isn't a bad thing to have right now if you want to avoid going out shopping for a few weeks. Not to mention avoiding panic shoppers if this gets any worse. Worst case you'll have a well-stocked freezer and cupboard of stuff. CDC has advised stocking up a little bit, as has Health Canada, because the supply chain can handle a bit of controlled stocking up over a panic buy in a few weeks if things go bad.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what worries me is poo poo gets worse and trump being trump says gently caress it and declares victory. we know if poo poo gets bad he will just gurgle about how great everything is.

What if he says gently caress it and declares "SMEGMA!"?

It's going to happen whatever he declares. To be honest he's taking a hard line so far towards "all is fine!", which is much better than he could do for the rest of us.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

man, these people have the worst timing. it's like when bobby jindal defunded volcano monitoring resources a day before one of their largest volcanoes exploded

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

well, I'm sure we don't need them

If you did you can always just hire them straight back to their job!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

stillvisions posted:

It can't hurt, to be honest, especially if you live in a major city area. You don't need to go prepper (because water, electricity etc. will likely still be fine) but a full pantry and freezer isn't a bad thing to have right now if you want to avoid going out shopping for a few weeks. Not to mention avoiding panic shoppers if this gets any worse. Worst case you'll have a well-stocked freezer and cupboard of stuff. CDC has advised stocking up a little bit, as has Health Canada, because the supply chain can handle a bit of controlled stocking up over a panic buy in a few weeks if things go bad.

This is pretty much what Australians are being told. Grab a couple of extra non perishable items each time you shop, but get stuff you eat anyway so that you can use the extra food if nothing happens.
You might also want to get some face masks and hand sanitizer too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Face masks are not going to prevent you from getting sick. They are not at all recommended for wear by healthy people because they aren’t trained, they aren’t fitted, and half the time it actually makes them touch their face more.

Hand sanitizer is a good idea if your hands aren’t noticeably dirty, because coronaviruses are enveloped.

Stocking up on extra unnecessary food as preppers is a weird fetish. If you’re real concerned, by a bag of rice. Either the rice will be more than enough, or the situation is so serious your carefully hoarded food ain’t gonna do much.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Geeze I went to the most ignored / boring Ace hardware I could find and right on the front door, no n95 masks:

It's going to be chaos if the CDC declares any kind of emergency and people need or should get them.

Question for all the experts that are tut-tut-ing any mention of viral protection gear, what's the best alternative when there are no masks available? We're not cleaning up superfund sites or watching over ebola patients so throw all the rules and pro advice out the window. What's the next best option if you live / work / see immunocompromised people and don't want to risk transmitting or picking anything up from casual contact with the public. Bandana around your face? What would you use if you couldn't get proper n95 gear and had to take mass transit to go see your grandma for example?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Geeze I went to the most ignored / boring Ace hardware I could find and right on the front door, no n95 masks:

It's going to be chaos if the CDC declares any kind of emergency and people need or should get them.

Question for all the experts that are tut-tut-ing any mention of viral protection gear, what's the best alternative when there are no masks available? We're not cleaning up superfund sites or watching over ebola patients so throw all the rules and pro advice out the window. What's the next best option if you live / work / see immunocompromised people and don't want to risk transmitting or picking anything up from casual contact with the public. Bandana around your face? What would you use if you couldn't get proper n95 gear and had to take mass transit to go see your grandma for example?

See above. Don’t wear a mask unless you’re a healthcare worker or you’re already sick. Don’t touch your face. Hand sanitize before you see them. Don’t cough on them. Don’t touch them unnecessarily.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

Stocking up on extra unnecessary food as preppers is a weird fetish. If you’re real concerned, by a bag of rice. Either the rice will be more than enough, or the situation is so serious your carefully hoarded food ain’t gonna do much.

What in the world is this? Everyone should have a few weeks of food stored.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I think you’d find like 5% of people at most do. I sure as hell don’t.

Thinking on it it’s probably more like 1%

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nobody does this

I have something like 15 pounds of masa harina however, so i can make lots and lot of tacos.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

No, most people aren’t anxious preppers who half hope that the disaster happens just so they’ll be proven right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mediaphage posted:

I think the food advice tends to be more about hardening yourself for supply disruptions and panic runs on grocery stores. You'll get people emptying out grocery store shelves before major snow storms and hurricanes even when the worst case scenario is being stuck in their house for a day or two.

You can definitely end up in a situation where it's hard to get the food you want for a week or two without it meaning that modern society is crumbling and our logistics chains have totally collapsed. Getting people to buy a few extra cans of crap here and there is also a good way to help them feel more comfortable and less likely to buy out a whole supermarket because one person in their town is sick.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

lol you think Mericans living paycheck to paycheck can buy EXTRA food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

only farmers have the necessity of needing to keep poo poo in store cellars, cos they don't have access to leaving their properties in winter, at least according to some young farm youtubers in WA state.