Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Stickman posted:

Just get a $300 27” and sit 15% closer :v:

I recently got one at the office (60hz non-gaming of course) and going down to 27" from 32" was not as bad as I thought, despite my eyesight not being that great

but at home I like to recline my chair and play games with a joypad, I really don't want to stay hunched over the desk if I can avoid it, which would not be great with a 27" monitor

just in case, I'll be taking a look at new monitors but only after a GPU upgrade, my current 1080 can barely run the newer games @1440p 60FPS anyway :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

TorakFade posted:

I recently got one at the office (60hz non-gaming of course) and going down to 27" from 32" was not as bad as I thought, despite my eyesight not being that great

but at home I like to recline my chair and play games with a joypad, I really don't want to stay hunched over the desk if I can avoid it, which would not be great with a 27" monitor

just in case, I'll be taking a look at new monitors but only after a GPU upgrade, my current 1080 can barely run the newer games @1440p 60FPS anyway :v:

i ran cabling through the wall to be able to use my main desktop in a different room, where it happily ignores all my 144/gsync/ 2k and 4k and whatnot and plays call of duty on a 32 inch TCL 1080 i got at best buy on sale

anyway my point is, 32 is a really good size for sitting back and smoking a blunt with a controller in your hand and i heartily endorse it as a monitor at any resolution tbh (depending on use case. even a 720 is a great tertiary screen for the occasional graph or youtube, netflix, news, etc)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

orcane posted:

do you sit 3 meters from your monitor :confused:

2.5-ish but yeah

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

And sure it's expensive, but he said that display options are terrible at 4k/120, which is patently false because combining 4K 120 with OLED contrast/HDR and HDMI 2.1 VRR is obviously incredible/the best.

It is, but it's also unavailable in computer monitor sizes, and using a TV as a primary monitor is...not optimal for most people.

Maybe by the time the 3080Ti actually is available that will have changed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

K8.0 posted:

You misunderstand. Nothing can cool itself if it's stuck in a box that denies it airflow. I jokingly half-suspect MS has deliberately designed this thing to NOT fit in entertainment centers, so that it has to be left out where it can breathe.
Aha that makes sense, yea I'm sure the fact that we have wireless controllers as standard these days does make people a lot more likely to lock their consoles inside an entertainment cabinet with no air flow.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Taima posted:

That's a good point. I mean 4K/120 for current titles, in the sense that a 2080ti, for example, can run red dead 2 at high settings 4k/60, I wonder if 4K/120 would be possible in RDR2 with high settings on a 3080Ti.
Will absolutely not be happening.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

E: nm

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U scores leak on 3DMark: 15W Renoir with Vega 7 iGPU wrecks 25W Nvidia Geforce MX250

loving FINALLY, some potentially good news.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wow!!!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
*with dual channel DDR4 3400 or better only (?)

Dickhead manufacturers are just going to underwhelm with mediocre speed, single channel implementations and you know it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Seamonster posted:

Dickhead manufacturers are just going to underwhelm with mediocre speed, single channel implementations and you know it.

Well yeah, but that has no bearing on whether AMD has actually produced something impressive relative to Intel's offerings.

One guy on Twitter responded though that the combined score in an APU is far more relevant that separate GPU/Physics, I assume since the major bottleneck in an APU is memory bandwidth and the GPU test doesn't stress the CPU, and vice/versa for the physics test?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Seamonster posted:

I am less-concerned with that, it is no big deal to swap out some SODIMMs.

Except for Lenovo and their habit of soldering a stick to the board and leaving only one channel as user-servicable, but then again, you couldn't make me use a Lenovo laptop, not in this life or the next.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think I remember hearing that the really high performance low power ram is only available as soldered packages. Kinda makes sense, if you're riding the low voltage limit of what you can manage electrically, it's ideal to not have extra connectors and such.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

K8.0 posted:

I think I remember hearing that the really high performance low power ram is only available as soldered packages. Kinda makes sense, if you're riding the low voltage limit of what you can manage electrically, it's ideal to not have extra connectors and such.
You are correct that LPDDR is not available in SODIMM form (as opposed to DDR3L), but that doesn't explain the lovely "some soldered plus one slot" laptops as the two are incompatible so those have to be using the normal kind even on the soldered part.

The only reason for a half-soldered configuration is the absurd obsession with thinness in mobile devices. Everything else gets compromised just to make it look a bit sleeker on shelves, and unfortunately it works because the average buyer doesn't think about upgradability, maintainability, or thermal throttling.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's probably also slightly cheaper not to put a connector on the board.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So I am trying to figure out why when I use RTSS or the Nvidia control panel to limit my max frames to 141 for my 144hz gsync monitor and 1080ti, I get horrible framedrops and studdering every 2 minutes in every game. As soon as I turn it off, everything runs buttery smooth. So is there any point to use a max frame limit at all or is it something people just recommend because Blur Busters did?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
With the new nvidia drivers there's no longer a need to use RTSS to limit frames, the new Nvidia frame limiter is good. There is absolutely no way that the frame limiter is the problem here, something else is seriously wrong.

You need a frame limiter because otherwise you are getting the exact same behavior as a non-VRR monitor, either vsync on and large/inconsistent input latency or vsync off and tearing. Freesync/Gsync does literally nothing unless your framerate is below your refresh rate.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

K8.0 posted:

With the new nvidia drivers there's no longer a need to use RTSS to limit frames, the new Nvidia frame limiter is good.

If you have G/Freesync, yes. But if you have a fixed refresh display and want to lock your frames with minimal input latency but also have good frame pacing, nah (at least ime).

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 27, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am less-concerned with that, it is no big deal to swap out some SODIMMs.

Except for Lenovo and their habit of soldering a stick to the board and leaving only one channel as user-servicable, but then again, you couldn't make me use a Lenovo laptop, not in this life or the next.

Huh I use a Lenovo as my laptop

What is a good laptop brand? The only other one I have experience with is HP and I don't know I always thought they were the ones that weren't so good

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

(sorry to post twice for seemingly no reason, but I remembered my question!)

If I'm looking at getting a new video card, and something in the 1060 realm (1080 is still too $$$ for me, but I'd like something relatively performant), but I have a freesync monitor, am I better off buying a 1060 or a freesync video card? I'm looking at a probably deal on an MSI 1060 6GB, but I don't know if having freesync around the same price point (call it $200) would be better than having the nvidia card (which I understand to be relatively more powerful).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

10xx, 16xx, and 20xx all support freesync over DisplayPort now, so it’s moot unless your monitor only has hdmi.

That’s a terrible price for a 1060, though, get a 1660, or better yet, spend the extra $20 for a 1660 Super.

E: If you’re not in the US, prices might be different. I’d still check 16xx prices first.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Krakkles posted:

If I'm looking at getting a new video card, and something in the 1060 realm (1080 is still too $$$ for me, but I'd like something relatively performant), but I have a freesync monitor, am I better off buying a 1060 or a freesync video card? I'm looking at a probably deal on an MSI 1060 6GB, but I don't know if having freesync around the same price point (call it $200) would be better than having the nvidia card (which I understand to be relatively more powerful).

Don't get a 1060 at this point, get a 1660 Super so you don't have to make the choice between freesync/gsync.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ItBreathes posted:

It's probably also slightly cheaper not to put a connector on the board.
Probably true, but at the same time economies of scale have to come in to play if they offer multiple configurations. Having to stock different motherboards for each RAM (and sometimes SSD) combination versus having just one that any idiot with three brain cells bumping together can slap modules in to seems like it'd end up in favor of the slot really quickly without some other factors pushing for the soldered design.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Stickman posted:

10xx, 16xx, and 20xx all support freesync over DisplayPort now, so it’s moot unless your monitor only has hdmi.

That’s a terrible price for a 1060, though, get a 1660, or better yet, spend the extra $20 for a 1660 Super.

E: If you’re not in the US, prices might be different. I’d still check 16xx prices first.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Don't get a 1060 at this point, get a 1660 Super so you don't have to make the choice between freesync/gsync.
I am in the US, so very good lookin' out - thank you. That seems like a big jump in capability for not a ton of money, and probably well worth it. Ordered it!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is a good laptop brand? The only other one I have experience with is HP and I don't know I always thought they were the ones that weren't so good

I'm kind of the opinion that there are no good laptop brands, there are only bad laptop brands and individual laptops that approach tolerability.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm kind of the opinion that there are no good laptop brands, there are only bad laptop brands and individual laptops that approach tolerability.

I've always been partial to Dell as a brand in general, but that's just me, I guess. I also have a Sony Vaio Z series laptop that's an old but lovely piece of kit.
I'd like to see a return to user-upgradable RAM and general easy accessibility to parts (like the old Dell Precisions.. one screw, whole bottom slid off).
But then again, I can see the desire to have thin and light laptops. That said, I'd point back to the Vaio Z that was thin and light and had user-upgradable RAM.
Furthermore, I'm pretty intolerant to messing up keyboard layouts and removing keys (I'm looking at you, HP "EliteBook" G5/G6, with your stupid new keys in the function row, removing ones I actually used..)
I desire a decent port selection too. Oh well, you can't have it all. That was a barely coherent rant; sorry

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 27, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Added note of hilarity: Newegg still has order details from when I bought my old car, and I actually paid more (back in 2012) for a 560Ti 2GB than I did today for that 1660Super 6GB.

Obviously, technology and currency changes, so just an amusing tidbit.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Krakkles posted:

Added note of hilarity: Newegg still has order details from when I bought my old car, and I actually paid more (back in 2012) for a 560Ti 2GB than I did today for that 1660Super 6GB.

Obviously, technology and currency changes, so just an amusing tidbit.
Hmm, I got a 560Ti 1GB in 2011 for about a hundred less than what the 1660 Super is going for, but I'm in :canada: so who knows what's going on.

The real hillarious part is I bought a 64 GB SSD on that order that was $130 CAD. Imagine my surprise when I started looking at PC parts 7 years later!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krakkles posted:

for a 1060-tier card the RX 580 is still king of that price range, you can find a 580 8GB for around $125 off ebay (at least in the US) and it doesn't have the driver problems of Navi (or at least, there exist some stable versions for it).

or I guess the 1060 6GB is around $145 which isn't that bad either. If you want to hold open the option of GSync (note that 10-series does support FreeSync too) then that's an option too.

Unless you have a specific plan for GSync though, it's not really that big a deal anymore though. All the new monitors are GSync Compatible which is the same as FreeSync. So the only situation you'd really run into it is if you were buying a used monitor that happened to be GSync.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 28, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know it's always hit and miss and totally anecdotal, but my big MSI GT72 gaming laptop (i7 Broadwell and 980M, gsynch) has been absolutely rock solid for the 5+ years I've had it. Battery still holds a good charge just fine and no issues at all. Bought it mid 2015 and it has been fantastic. To this day still quite powerful and usable. Finally got off my rear end and did the Win 10 upgrade just this past December, smooth sailing and everything just works.

Comparatively, my old Dell was pretty much useless 3 years after I bought it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Hmm, I got a 560Ti 1GB in 2011 for about a hundred less than what the 1660 Super is going for, but I'm in :canada: so who knows what's going on.

The real hillarious part is I bought a 64 GB SSD on that order that was $130 CAD. Imagine my surprise when I started looking at PC parts 7 years later!
It was a 2GB Twin Frozr II, for whatever that's worth, and probably more likely the cause: I don't recall shopping around at all (I'd just decided to build a fancy shmancy computer with newfound disposable income). But yeah, prices vary for a lot of reasons.

Paul MaudDib posted:

for a 1060-tier card the RX 580 is still king of that price range, you can find a 580 8GB for around $125 off ebay (at least in the US) and it doesn't have the driver problems of Navi (or at least, there exist some stable versions for it).

or I guess the 1060 6GB is around $145 which isn't that bad either. If you want to hold open the option of GSync (note that 10-series does support FreeSync too) then that's an option too.

Unless you have a specific plan for GSync though, it's not really that big a deal anymore though. All the new monitors are GSync Compatible which is the same as FreeSync. So the only situation you'd really run into it is if you were buying a used monitor that happened to be GSync.
Thanks! Only thing is, I already have the monitor, and it's FreeSync only, as far as I know, but the 1660Super should support Freesync as well, so nbd. (I admit I know nothing about G or Freesync, just going based on what's been said here.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is it me, or is VRR over HDMI just not happening to the next crop of monitors so far? Was really hoping I could use a new monitor with the PS5, but so far it doesn't look promising.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Krakkles posted:

It was a 2GB Twin Frozr II, for whatever that's worth, and probably more likely the cause: I don't recall shopping around at all (I'd just decided to build a fancy shmancy computer with newfound disposable income). But yeah, prices vary for a lot of reasons.
Thanks! Only thing is, I already have the monitor, and it's FreeSync only, as far as I know, but the 1660Super should support Freesync as well, so nbd. (I admit I know nothing about G or Freesync, just going based on what's been said here.)

The baller choice at the time has to have been the radeon 6950.. unlocked to a 6970. I had one. Unlockable shaders always broke the value curve

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

I've always been partial to Dell as a brand in general, but that's just me, I guess. I also have a Sony Vaio Z series laptop that's an old but lovely piece of kit.
I'd like to see a return to user-upgradable RAM and general easy accessibility to parts (like the old Dell Precisions.. one screw, whole bottom slid off).
But then again, I can see the desire to have thin and light laptops. That said, I'd point back to the Vaio Z that was thin and light and had user-upgradable RAM.
Furthermore, I'm pretty intolerant to messing up keyboard layouts and removing keys (I'm looking at you, HP "EliteBook" G5/G6, with your stupid new keys in the function row, removing ones I actually used..)
I desire a decent port selection too. Oh well, you can't have it all. That was a barely coherent rant; sorry

The old Sony Vaio laptop line were AMAZING pieces of kit. I wish I had appreciated them more for what they were at the time, but being exposed to their comparatively crap desktop line just kind of soured my perception of the entire line.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Holy gently caress my memory is short. It's hard to imagine near-parity lasting that long, even after the great recession.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I remember still being in High School when the Canadian Dollar was worth 1.3 USD in 2008 during the crash. I remember this because I was looking to buy a HD 4870 but it was so expensive

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

New Radeon drivers released today claiming to address some of the black screen issues:

AMD posted:

Fixed issues:
  • Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.
  • When Instant Replay is enabled, a TDR or black screen may occur when launching games or applications.
  • A black screen may occur when toggling HDR on in the game settings of Battlefield™ V.
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt™ may experience an application hang or black screen during certain parts of the game or intermittently during gameplay.
  • Some video content in Chrome™ may appear as a black screen or be unresponsive on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products when hardware acceleration is enabled.

Known issues:
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Although Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 resolves many black screen issues, AMD is aware that some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Just in time for the weekend. I'll install it on one of my 5700/XT machines and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I would be curious if they also fixed the high cpu useage for the 20.xxx drivers. I still run windows 7, and the fix to create a missing folder for adrenalin replays was not working for me unfortunately (so I went back to 19.12.1).