Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Speaking of SotC one of the best games ever made, made somehow even better by Bluepoint, I finally finished The Last Guardian. Cool blend of Ico and SotC but maybe I've grown up too much for it to have the same emotional gut punch. I know it's against the spirit of the game to have seen some of those easy gotchas coming, but man, I did.

As for the SotC remaster, I stalled out on colossus 8, I hate the fall damage so much with this one in particular.

Kibayasu posted:

It is still pretty strange that the new remake of SotC added a photo mode where you pose with the carcasses of each colossi and select different dumb faces Wanderer to make and upload them to get rated by the community.

If you do that, lame. If you take wide-angle shots of you and Agro running around the landscape on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Grey posted:

I don't think I will like SotC?

I don't like hunting in games and feel bad for the animals. I generally feel the same about killing any sort of creature who didn't have "have it coming".

Aren't the Colossus like endangered species that your killing off for fun? Kind of like something that Trump Jr. would do? or is there a good reason for killing them?

You're not being asked to sympathize with Wander, you're participating in the retelling of a story. Think of it that way.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've watched at least 2 full playthroughs of SOTC, one normal and one speedrun but I've never played it. I wonder what that experience will be like now. Guess it's time to find out!

And yes I know, if I could unring that bell I would but at the time I was just so curious about it and wasn't able to play it myself

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

All collosi are the same. All collosi deserve the same.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kill them all and let Dormin sort them out

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

acksplode posted:

Kill them all and let Dormin sort them out

LMAO :five:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I haven't played SOTC but if I already know about the SOTL-style switcheroo is it worth the time

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't played SOTC but if I already know about the SOTL-style switcheroo is it worth the time

Yes. The gameplay itself is fun. The story is almost nonexistent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like you turn the game on, there is a 3 minute cutscene to set up the game, then you play through basically the entire game without another story sequence, then you beat the game and watch the ending. There is no dialogue and no story between those two cutscenes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There are brief cutscenes between colassi iirc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is a lot of story to SotC it's just told through the act of playing the game itself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You have to get to at least Ending G in SOTC to get the proper ending (Wanderer meeting Trico and then killing him)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You have to get to at le[spioler]ast Ending G in SOTC to get the proper ending (Wanderer meeting Trico and[/spoiler] then killing him)

Yo spoiler that poo poo bro

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

There are brief cutscenes between colassi iirc.

There are unique cutscenes every 4 colossi, the others are a standard “waking up in the temple” scene

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I booted it up over the weekend, it looks absolutely incredible. Bluepoint are geniuses

their ps5 knack remake is gonna blow peoples minds.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

theres a kunio kun and double dragon collection thats just come out too. i know those are all really old games so the price might turn people off but also several of those kunio kun games never came out in america.

it has crash n the boys! hell yeah!!!
Aw man I hadn't heard of this and I was excited!

... then I saw that it's a collection of NES games without the arcade originals 😑

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Akuma posted:

Aw man I hadn't heard of this and I was excited!

... then I saw that it's a collection of NES games without the arcade originals 😑

Double Dragon is weird in that the arcade originals are worse than the nes ports. It's especially noticeable in Double Dragon 2.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

f#a# posted:

Speaking of SotC one of the best games ever made, made somehow even better by Bluepoint, I finally finished The Last Guardian. Cool blend of Ico and SotC but maybe I've grown up too much for it to have the same emotional gut punch. I know it's against the spirit of the game to have seen some of those easy gotchas coming, but man, I did.

I really disliked Trico up until the last...10 percent of the game? I think that bad controls were supposed to be the point but man it was lame.

I teared up when telling it to fly away though

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

Double Dragon is weird in that the arcade originals are worse than the nes ports. It's especially noticeable in Double Dragon 2.
That may be but I didn't grow up playing the NES ports in a lovely burger bar!

My nostalgia. Fortunately you can buy the arcade versions of DD and DD2 on PS4 already, but no DD3 :/ (which I actually had on the Amiga...)

Also, I worked on Sonic Forces. I do not recommend playing Sonic Forces unless you really, really love the idea of 1) making a Sonic OC and/or 2) really want a mediocre sequel to Sonic Generations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Grey posted:

I don't think I will like SotC?

I don't like hunting in games and feel bad for the animals. I generally feel the same about killing any sort of creature who didn't have "have it coming".

Aren't the Colossus like endangered species that your killing off for fun? Kind of like something that Trump Jr. would do? or is there a good reason for killing them?

How badly do you want to bring the woman you love back to life?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Do listen to the vocal tracks on Spotify at least though

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

GoutPatrol posted:

I really disliked Trico up until the last...10 percent of the game? I think that bad controls were supposed to be the point but man it was lame.

I teared up when telling it to fly away though

That is the brilliance of that game, imagine how those of us who loved the rest of the game felt in that last 10 percent!

I also can't wait until Disco Elysium comes out for PS4, I've already beat it twice on PC, but it's going to blow minds and after all that Bioshock/Ken Levine political chat I'm ready to read about a video game that does politics extremely well.

Also god drat, KD playing SotC, that's mad. I keep wanting to get RDR2, like, if it were on sale for 30 I would've bought it already, but alas.... A Tim Rogers stream from around the time the game launched made me want to play it real bad, he made it look hilarious.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jack Black’s slow metamorphosis from bit comedy character to featured comedy lead to ironic rockstar to legitimate rockstar to legitimate actor and finally settling on extremely homely, bearded YouTuber who just makes RDR2 videos has just been a wild, wild ride.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So glad that SOTC is a PS Plus game! Now people who never touched it (like myself originally) can experience the wonder that I did too!

Also I have figured out why I have dropped so many games lately and it is definitely a mental wellbeing thing, so I am going to the doctors later and going to get some new help :D I cannot wait to game again. There is so much waiting for me!!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How badly do you want to bring the woman you love back to life?

Yeah.

It's completely intentional that killing immortal creatures because a thing told you so is sketchy but Wander had a reason to believe the stories were true (and he wasn't entirely wrong either)

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 27, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game starts with Wander’s perilous journey across wind-blown cliff sides and the impossible bridge. This land is clearly sacred and forbidden because no one is there, but also clearly a known quantity because of the temple structures and ancient runes.

For all we know it could be something people reference all the time, or it could be an aging legend like the American Fountain of Youth that he remembers from his childhood.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bust Rodd posted:

Jack Black’s slow metamorphosis from bit comedy character to featured comedy lead to ironic rockstar to legitimate rockstar to legitimate actor and finally settling on extremely homely, bearded YouTuber who just makes RDR2 videos has just been a wild, wild ride.

Wait, he does that now?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
he still acts, and the Jumanji movies were super successful. I didn't know he had a youtube channel but as far as I can tell only one of the videos is about RDR2

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gort posted:

Wait, he does that now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl7BbVg1Y0E

Also for Death Stranding Fans
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1233017507822223360?s=21

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah.

It's completely intentional that killing immortal creatures because a thing told you so is sketchy but Wander had a reason to believe they stories were true (and he wasn't entirely wrong either)

It doesn't give it away quite immediately. The first Colossus is an ornery fucker looking to fight, but the moment you slam your sword into his head and he just slumps over dead he just becomes sort of pathetic while the music gets depressing and loving hell, what did I just do?... :ohdear:.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

tensai posted:

I need a yakuza game where you don't have to fight...

Then you want Yakuza 5, first half of Chapter 3.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Knightmare posted:

I'm constantly on the lookout for my non-gamer wife, so far our favorites have been the Overcooked games, Until Dawn (me controlling and her picking actions/dialogue), and The Witness.

I’m late to the party with this but me and my wife and kid have gotten so much fun and joy and laughter out of overcooked 2. It’s just great silly fun.

Also for local coop Diablo 3 is something we still play on a regular basis every new season.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 27, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It doesn't give it away quite immediately. The first Colossus is an ornery fucker looking to fight, but the moment you slam your sword into his head and he just slumps over dead he just becomes sort of pathetic while the music gets depressing and loving hell, what did I just do?... :ohdear:.

Quoted for truth! If you go back to my 'I am playing this posts' I felt awful about hurting all of the colossi. Just awful. It never let up!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Look after yourself VG!!!!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Knightmare posted:

I'm constantly on the lookout for my non-gamer wife, so far our favorites have been the Overcooked games, Until Dawn (me controlling and her picking actions/dialogue), and The Witness.

Not PS4, but if you can swing it the Cook, Serve, Delicious series on PC has been a popular hit for me and my gf, as it has co-op. The third one is currently in early access and is my favourite of the three.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Look after yourself VG!!!!

You bet I will!! How can I look after the PS4 thread and Games if I do not look after myself ;D

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

So glad that SOTC is a PS Plus game! Now people who never touched it (like myself originally) can experience the wonder that I did too!

Also I have figured out why I have dropped so many games lately and it is definitely a mental wellbeing thing, so I am going to the doctors later and going to get some new help :D I cannot wait to game again. There is so much waiting for me!!

When I did this, I ended up buying a PS4, and I think it’s no coincidence I’ve played and loved more games in the last 3 years than I have like, my entire life. (Also it was coincidentally around the same time as the release of The Last Guardian, so I would’ve bought one anyways probably), but being treated for depression also helped me stay on task in general, whether it was something that seems silly to most people, like just having the energy to keep playing a video game, and like having the drive to make music/art/attempt new things that I wouldn’t have like trying to learn how to use Blender/Unity, etc. So I’m glad to hear that.

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m late to the party with this but me and my wife and kid have gotten so much fun and joy and laughter out of overcooked 2. It’s just great silly fun.

Also for local coop Diablo 3 is something we still play on a regular basis every new season.

Did you end up getting Outer Wilds and if so did you hate it?? Listening to a podcast the other day I thought about your post and remembered that I explicitly said it’s nothing like The Witness, but there’s one (extremely small and isolated) bit that’s literally like a puzzle from The Witness, except you don’t have to solve anything, you just enter in a weird pattern after you’ve, uh, learned about it. So it’s only like it in the most superficial way, but I still felt bad until I actually thought about it for more than a few seconds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Baggot posted:

March’s PS+ games are the Shadow of the Colossus remake, and Sonic Forces. :haw:

Oh boy, Sonic! And some garbage I guess whatever :v:

I'll give SotC a go but I didn't care for it originally

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imhotep posted:

When I did this, I ended up buying a PS4, and I think it’s no coincidence I’ve played and loved more games in the last 3 years than I have like, my entire life. (Also it was coincidentally around the same time as the release of The Last Guardian, so I would’ve bought one anyways probably), but being treated for depression also helped me stay on task in general, whether it was something that seems silly to most people, like just having the energy to keep playing a video game, and like having the drive to make music/art/attempt new things that I wouldn’t have like trying to learn how to use Blender/Unity, etc. So I’m glad to hear that.

Exactly. I know that my oncoming depression (glad that all my therapy and mental work allows me to notice it before hand) is the reason I have stopped playing games I REALLY love. I want to play Last Guardian, I want to play Death Stranding, I want to play Yakuza Kiwami 2 and so many other that I was genuinely having real good fun in. (You heard my joy during the Last Guardian stream :D) so when I am faced with it and cannot bring myself to do so I know I need to get it fixed. :) I have done it before I will do it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If it counts for anything, Death Stranding is great for playing when feeling down. It's a super melancholy and very chill game but has a very uplifting story and message.