Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

I had to delete

that’s lars the fat loser neckbeard virgin

Don't sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
why is neckbeard lars still on the podcast? this is a sincere question

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

oliwan posted:

why is neckbeard lars still on the podcast? this is a sincere question

It’s absolutely baffling op

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

He always sounds like his voice is about to go, but alas...

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
did everyone hear that story about him a couple of pods ago that he was half an hour late to a live show somewhere because he forgot to take his passport to the airport lmao

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan posted:

did everyone hear e that story about him a couple of pods ago that he was half an hour late to a live show because he forgot to take his passport to the airport lmao

Yes and I enjoyed the poorly concealed contempt in Max and Barry's voices when talking about it lol

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Wasn't there also a fleeting mention of Lars getting dunked on in a pub by a random member of the public to the amusement of Max and Barry?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
They made reference to him being "offered something" in a pub in Dublin last year.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
blowing my mind that mike dean is scouse on crouchy's podcast

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving hell ronay within 5 minutes of today's FW with the dumb contrarian mourinho defense

Shroud
May 11, 2009

oliwan posted:

loving hell ronay within 5 minutes of today's FW with the dumb contrarian mourinho defense

I cringed the whole time listening to that. He must be playing devil's advocate or something - "What did you expect to get when Jose Mourinho was hired".

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
He always does this pathetic thing of wilfully misinterpreting what someone has said and then acting like they're stupid.

E.g. Max saying that someone as highly paid as Mourinho should be able to get something out of his players, which Ronay interpreted as 'heh, I don't think the players are motivated on the pitch by the manager's pay packet, you idiot :smug:', rather than the incredibly obvious point Max was actually making (i.e. that someone deemed talented enough to command one of the highest salaries in the PL should be capable in theory of doing more with that squad).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

He always does this pathetic thing of wilfully misinterpreting what someone has said and then acting like they're stupid.

E.g. Max saying that someone as highly paid as Mourinho should be able to get something out of his players, which Ronay interpreted as 'heh, I don't think the players are motivated on the pitch by the manager's pay packet, you idiot :smug:', rather than the incredibly obvious point Max was actually making (i.e. that someone deemed talented enough to command one of the highest salaries in the PL should be capable in theory of doing more with that squad).

I took it more as Ronay being bored with the same old points being made as if it's news that Mourinho plays defence first football? :shrug:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bundy posted:

I took it more as Ronay being bored with the same old points being made as if it's news that Mourinho plays defence first football? :shrug:

Yeah, there is that, to be fair. But talking about why Mourinho can't be flexible enough to mix it up even when squad limitations should force him to probably makes for a more interesting listen that the truism of 'Mourinho teams play Mourinho football, next topic'.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

Yeah, there is that, to be fair. But talking about why Mourinho can't be flexible enough to mix it up even when squad limitations should force him to probably makes for a more interesting listen that the truism of 'Mourinho teams play Mourinho football, next topic'.

Oh yeah making GBS threads on Mourinho for his flaws is fine especially seeing as his "final season meltdown" attitude seems to be coming earlier and earlier with each new job.

I sometimes think they just invite Ronay on to wind Wilson up, which is fun in itself. I prefer pod Ronay to written Ronay, but I guess that can be like preferring warm sick to cold.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
rushden, glendenning, wilson, ronay is by far the best fw lineup. there isnt even any strong competition to oust them

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

rushden, glendenning, wilson, ronay is by far the best fw lineup. there isnt even any strong competition to oust them

Absolutely. I get why some people don't like Barney, but he and Wilson have a good chemistry together and I find him interesting. The only possible addition I'd have to that lineup would be Philippe Auclair.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Yeah I like Philippe especially when he's on one about PSG

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Mickolution posted:

Absolutely. I get why some people don't like Barney, but he and Wilson have a good chemistry together and I find him interesting. The only possible addition I'd have to that lineup would be Philippe Auclair.

hes very knowledgeable but he says 'by the way' too often so its a no from me

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Barney’s a bit up his own arse but generally he’s fine.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
He's always been terrible and is stealing a living

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Sid Lowe in person is fun. Otherwise that lineup is excellent.

Also I saw Sid's Ham Garage being referenced LMAO, that's some deep FW lore.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dare I say it I actually think FW with Max and Barry is better than when Jimbo presented.

TFS is not good

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Bundy posted:

Dare I say it I actually think FW with Max and Barry is better than when Jimbo presented.

TFS is not good

i always enjoyed the episodes when max filled in for jimbo. i think i'm realizing that it was always his chemistry with barry that i enjoyed the most and barry is actually the best part of FW, even on episodes where he doesn't say much.

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.

Bundy posted:

TFS is not good

I always skip the first part when Jim does all the try-hard punnery.

That and the interviews with that oval office from paddy power.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never really listened to FW when it was Jimbo, I always thought he was annoying. I'm not a big fan of Max and his unrelenting bouginess either, but it's better.

the only one I really can't listen to is lars, and ronay is getting there.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bundy posted:

TFS is not good

no one likes jimbo

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
didn't Jimbo leave the guardian because he thought he could do better lol

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

oliwan posted:

i think he was under the impression that fw was only popular because of him so he left to build a podcast empire and cash in

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bundy posted:

TFS is not good

He also took some of the shittier guests with him, such as Raphael Honigstein, Julien Laurens, Michael Cox and Iain Macintosh which has helped Football Weekly no end.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I like Jimbo

oliwan posted:

According to Max when he was interviewed on the Ramble the Totally Football lads left with the idea of producing the show themselves and licensing it back to the Guardian so they could still have Barry and the other journos on, but the Guardian basically told them to gently caress off. Also they left it to a week before the season to do this so the Guardian would have little choice but to say yes.

I probably listen to TFS more than the FW, but they are both definitely weaker for the split.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I don't mind Michael Cox when he can talk about the one thing he's good at talking about but otherwise he's just dead air. Whereas Macintosh (who I believe is founder of Muddy Knees Media?) I couldn't even tell you what he does on pods other than sound cheery.

I agree with the poorer/filler guests going to TFS has helped FW though. Now for Lars to gently caress off...he does NOT have enough interesting things to say about football to be on as regularly as he is.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bundy posted:

I don't mind Michael Cox when he can talk about the one thing he's good at talking about but otherwise he's just dead air. Whereas Macintosh (who I believe is founder of Muddy Knees Media?) I couldn't even tell you what he does on pods other than sound cheery.

I agree with the poorer/filler guests going to TFS has helped FW though. Now for Lars to gently caress off...he does NOT have enough interesting things to say about football to be on as regularly as he is.

also he talks so much and so fast with lecturing confidence it’s unlistenable

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RideTheSpiral posted:

i think he was under the impression that fw was only popular because of him so he left to build a podcast empire and cash in

My feeling was that Macintosh was the one behind the whole scheme, but I don't think I've got any actual basis for that. But yeah Max said on the Ramble Meets that they held off on quitting the Guardian until the brink of the season expecting they'd just license the show and carry on as usual.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bundy posted:

I don't mind Michael Cox when he can talk about the one thing he's good at talking about but otherwise he's just dead air.

I always found him insufferably smug on FW. Like a really poo poo Wilson.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

webmeister posted:

My feeling was that Macintosh was the one behind the whole scheme, but I don't think I've got any actual basis for that. But yeah Max said on the Ramble Meets that they held off on quitting the Guardian until the brink of the season expecting they'd just license the show and carry on as usual.

Macintosh is owner of Muddy Knees so there probably is some truth to it. I forget what I was listening on but it came up that they felt there was a gap for more podcast coverage of football than the once/twice weekly serial that most popular pods had fallen into.

I actually think, and I am somewhat surprised, The Ramble have done the best switch to a daily format. "The Lads" are still just twice a week which is fine, Jules and Andy can be great if there's been something over the weekend worth expanding upon (they did a good chat on the City ban and there's been some not insufferable VAR analysis), the look back at classic matches with Wilson is a good listen. They have "bought well" in the pod transfer window, Jules, Brassel and Wilson are very good additions imo.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
My recollection is that it was pretty clear that Macintosh was behind TFW when the split happened.

And yes, FW is better with Max hosting. I like Jimbo and think he’s funny, but he always took FW a little too seriously, and his hosting made the show more awkward and less fun to listen to.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

blue footed boobie posted:

My recollection is that it was pretty clear that Macintosh was behind TFW when the split happened.

And yes, FW is better with Max hosting. I like Jimbo and think he’s funny, but he always took FW a little too seriously, and his hosting made the show more awkward and less fun to listen to.

aboomayang? actually that’s how it’s pronounced in gabon

:smug:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Oliwan should tune in to latest FW

Right up your alley m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/AthleticoMince/status/1238432160232738816