Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like tablet. Not as much as fudge but it's good.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

how Monster Munch is made, interspersed with chefs completely failing to recreate it.
Croque de monstre with a oignons mariné dressing.

UUID, IPv6, and MD5 are all 128 bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Currently watching Snackmasters on C4, y'all should watch the second episode to see how Monster Munch is made, interspersed with chefs completely failing to recreate it. Good watch.

Claire from Bon Appetit would def give it a good go

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1232971988613898240

:lol:

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Isn't the driving force behind blocking Heathrow's third runway NIMBYism rather than climate concern?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

chestnut santabag posted:

Isn't the driving force behind blocking Heathrow's third runway NIMBYism rather than climate concern?

Of course it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The court case said it's because the proposal failed to make any effort to comply with the Paris Agreement.

There's NIMBYism too, but like it's still a good thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The court did specifically rule that it didn't meet the UK's climate commitments, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly just funny because boris is presumably gonna go back to "well I always hated it anyway"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Along similar lines, there's a growing proposal to replace the current HS2 path, which will go through protected forests and require a ton of compulsory purchases from farms and former council estates, with one that follows the old Great Central path, already suitably cleared and graded for most of the way, and link up with Heathrow to replace domestic connecting flights.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The court case said it's because the proposal failed to make any effort to comply with the Paris Agreement.

There's NIMBYism too, but like it's still a good thing.

Does that means there's now legal precedent for striking down gov investment in things that wouldn't comply with Paris? I'm sure this is less important than it sounds but would like to know why from legalgoons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's already legal precedent for striking down government projects that don't comply with our international obligations.

The general course of previous governments was to sign up to new treaties effectively overruling parts of the old ones, like the Anglo-German Naval Agreement.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jedit posted:

Come to Scotland. We'll not just batter it, we'll deep fry it as well.

OwlFancier posted:

Tablet is awful, like yeah I want really brittle, dry fudge that tastes like wethers original.

You’ve just not had good tablet then. If I ever do a batch for sending out to the ukmt you’ll be loving getting some and you’ll loving enjoy it :mad:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Khan just keeps getting worse.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1233017573199011841

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You’ve just not had good tablet then. If I ever do a batch for sending out to the ukmt you’ll be loving getting some and you’ll loving enjoy it :mad:
This is relevant to my interests and I would like to subscribe.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Guavanaut posted:

Along similar lines, there's a growing proposal to replace the current HS2 path, which will go through protected forests and require a ton of compulsory purchases from farms and former council estates, with one that follows the old Great Central path, already suitably cleared and graded for most of the way, and link up with Heathrow to replace domestic connecting flights.

Does this guy think the decades of consultations and planning just somehow didn't notice the Great Central or..?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've posted about it before (& am teaching in 6 minutes so no time to repeat myself), but environmental justice in this country actually relies on NIMBYism: regulatory law is utterly toothless, so the more effective enforcement mechanisms are private law & judicial review proceedings by concerned locals.

Does usually mean just offloading the problems off onto areas where the locals can't afford to go around suing people tho

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I note to myself that I have been thinking of Assange as 'a bit of a twat'.
When I asked myself why I think this, it is purely from what I have absorbed from headlines and snippets in MSM and I've never really read in any detail.
It may be that he really is a bit of a twat but my opinion on him - which I now realize is worthless - is based on practically nothing.
Justice4assange.com used to just be full of sexist bile, basically arguing that the slightly less unbalanced rape laws in Sweden are unfair on the poor rapists men. "it seems that in Sweden, if you have a penis, you are already halfway guilty of rape" was the tag line on every page.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Just had an Indian colleague ask me if it’s true that Muslims have taken over in Europe “like they are trying to do in India.”

He didn’t like my answer (which was “no”), and said “aha but what about Sadiq Khan?”

I know Hindu nationalism has been on the rise for a couple of decades now but it’s weird to encounter it in Brazil.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I love tablet but not regular fudge. That's not to say if someone puts a pile of fudge in front of me I don't eat it, because I do. But I only purchase tablet. Oxfam do a nice sea salt tablet.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Interesting article (a cut down version is in today's Graun, but I went to the source).

Ed: I'm not actually sure if this is satire or not!

https://www.the-fence.com/issues/issue-3/politics-off-grid

quote:

Politics Off Grid

An anonymous insider at Broadcasting House reveals the climate of anxiety and confusion in the build-up to the election, the methods deployed by the production teams, and what this means for the beleaguered institution.

When Donald Trump decided to withdraw troops from Syria, the Today programme held an interview to address the situation. Sitting in the studio and offering comment on the government’s strategy was not the Prime Minister, or the Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, or a junior minister in his team – or even anyone who attended Cabinet. It was Jeremy Hunt, who no longer held any role in government.

The story around the bbc’s Millbank offices was that Dominic Cummings, newly enshrined within Downing Street as a sort of executive super-spad, had ordered a boycott of the show and enforced a temporary ban on ministerial engagement.

Being denied access to a minister by an officious young spad is nothing new for political reporters. On any given day producers will spend hours attempting to flatter relevant politicians into studio chairs. Some are cagey and require persuading like John McDonnell; others, like Chuka Ummuna, will jump at the chance for any sort of press coverage at all.

Political broadcasts often operate with only a single day’s preparation: issues arise in the news, suitable guests are immediately pitched and briefs are drawn up for presenters. But during the last few years this process became increasingly haphazard as the number of credible political voices diminished with every passing week.

The main reason for this is, of course, the all-pervasive issue of Brexit and the pressure it has put upon mps and journalists alike. Traditionally, Westminster voices in opposition are especially keen for any opportunity to show their constituents how involved they are in the political machinations of the day, and only too glad to comment on the misdeeds of the incumbent party.

But Brexit has cast a strange spell on party politics and forced many politicians into a dilemma that belies conventional left/right distinctions. To comment publicly on Theresa May’s government was to comment on her deal or her negotiations. Very few mps could afford to alienate one half of the Brexit debate and even if their constituency might have permitted it, their party whip might not.

As such, the task of the political producer – to drum up panels of relevant and interested politicians for public debate – became almost impossible. Broadly speaking, there were only two types of guests for producers to choose from: Brexiteer evangelists or slick and power-hungry London Remainers. That the discussion surrounding Brexit should be conducted from these two extremes has become accepted as a sort of national truth, but it certainly doesn’t reflect the real make-up of Parliament or the country.

Both sides of our desperately stretched Overton window managed to whip up a virulent caricature of their opposition, then more or less contented themselves by tweeting about it for a few years. There are far more mps and commentators with level-headed approaches to Brexit than anyone following our press coverage would imagine: we just couldn’t get them in front of a camera.

A large portion of blame for this disappearing act falls at the feet of the politicians, who effectively empty-chaired themselves for fear of giving an insightful interview. But the bbc played its own anxiety-laden part in the confusion too.

Under the leadership of Tony Hall there was a commendable focus on balanced viewpoints on all political shows. Gone are the days of all-male panels discussing a crisis at a female refugee detention centre. But the manner in which this diversification was put in place by production staff swiftly descended into farce. A whiteboard would be marked up with a clumsy and often indecipherable grid system. The grid would revolve around a set of key identities such as ‘woman’, ‘Northern’ or ‘poc’. These would then be cross-categorised with political stances such as ‘Brexiteer’, ‘Tory’ or ‘progressive’. Our task would then be to ensure that any proposed panel contained a complete balance of all these attributes. This was before any of the guests had even been confirmed — if our only ‘progressive, Northern Brexiteer’ dropped out, then the whole puzzle needed redoing.

On daily programs, where a different panel needed to be booked five days a week, there were countless reports of these grid meetings descending into the sort of charade that certain right-wing columnists dream about. One particularly notable incident came when in order to find an ‘authentic’ Northern voice, all plausible interviewees who displayed any obvious erudition were vetoed. In their place, Danny Lockwood was slotted into the identity sudoku, as his tone was seen to more directly signal his real Northern identity. Several producers thought fit to mention that said individual was, in fact, a Tommy Robinson-supporting reactionary, whose past achievements include mocking the ‘Zorro’ outfits worn by Muslim women in his local Batley. But the grids didn’t have any disqualifying categories. Boxes could only be ticked, not crossed.

There is an understandable nervousness about criticising these sorts of practices. Mainly it is seen as a simple way to provide material for the reactionary commentariat who have no desire to see any diverse voices in journalism at all, and will amplify any criticism in the name of their now familiar masquerade of ‘rationality’. No doubt the daily whiteboard fiascos will provide exactly such ammunition.

But there is no easy way around the obvious complications caused by the policy. Covering Westminster means covering mps and the historic imbalance of that profession has only recently begun to correct its course. If the only non-white voice we could find to come on the show at a moment’s notice on a Monday morning happened to be a conservative Remainer, the grid would demand balance and we would have to spend hours on the phones, searching up and down the country for that rarest of political piece of political syntax: ‘leave, left’.

It should be noted that this progressive approach does not apply to bbc hiring practices or indeed attitudes towards their own staff. The bulk of their news operations are still dominated by white Oxbridge-educated men of a certain age, and the treatment of young producers and researchers can be questionable at best. One female producer told me that when she reported rape threats shouted at her by yellow-vests filming in the dark she was simply told it was ‘part of her job.’ Of course, when Anna Soubry and Owen Jones were accosted by the very same group of people only a week later, there was a meticulously balanced on-screen panel to bemoan the alarming state of public discourse.

Ironically, the main beneficiaries of the bbc’s attempts at progressivism have been the erg. The tacky celebrity enjoyed by almost any senior politician means that established figures can only be reached via power-hungry spads and professional press teams. This creates yet another barrier to securing such individuals. The erg on the other hand have no press agents at all and are very happy to provide the ever vital ‘leave’ voice which the grid demands. The sheer number of times Mark Francois was booked over the last year boggles the mind. Along with Andrew Bridgen and Peter Bone, he was given far more air-time than almost any of the hundreds of more measured leave voices around Westminster.

But the truth is that the erg were candid and honest about their positions, and willing to discuss potential angles of interview or group debate with journalists who call them directly. They certainly did not have an eye on potential book deals to be secured after the election or reality tv contracts, like a certain Tom Watson.

When we were able to cajole a bigger name onto a show – I’ve been told by several producers that they were instructed to use powers of flirtation more than of negotiation – there was always a boozy familiarity between presenters, writers and mps that demonstrated the perils of establishment thinking more clearly than any tv panel ever could. The close connections between journalists and politicians are as vital to the functioning of the bbc as any other news outlet, but there has always been something slightly dubious about the extent to which these connections dictate bbc coverage. Certain politicians can only be reached via the phones of certain senior journalists and their interviews are given as friendly favours, which almost inevitably means that those same politicians are in for a chatty and gentle time on camera. Off-camera, a highly influential Westminster social circle revolves around trips to various houses in continental Europe, where various mps and the journalists who are supposed to report on them have long been playing just as hard as they work.

Work in British politics is hard – and has been doubly so over the last few years – so it is understandable that an embattled solidarity develops between the press and the objects of their scrutiny. Without those parties on the Mediterranean I’m sure that many stories and interviews wouldn’t have materialised. But it is hard to stomach the ceaseless talk of impartial, representative journalism when the content of our shows frequently depends on which London politician fancies a drink after work.

The sudden announcement that Tony Hall would be stepping down has understandably filled the bbc with anxiety about its future. The common theme of the office rumour mill is that this was a tactical martyrdom, carried out to make room for a more Tory-friendly candidate to renegotiate with Cummings et al. These rumours reflect the general perception of Hall as someone who knew the bbc needed to stay palatable to a long-term Tory government, who would gladly see it stripped for parts and sold to the highest bidder. So when those same Tories complain about leftist bias within the bbc, most senior journalists within the organisation start to get very twitchy.

The idea of Hall’s diversity drive was this: firstly, it could be presented as a solution to the establishment liberalism which had so badly failed to predict the populism that fuelled Brexit; at the same time, it was intended to address the historic imbalances of class and race which still mar so much modern political reporting. In the end Hall’s initiative was a solution to neither problem. While the bbc was busy failing to change its structures and work practices with whiteboards, the most complex and unorthodox period of politics in a generation simply blew past the one group of people who were supposed to shine a light on it.

Indeed, the only news programme that consistently drew attention to and engaged with what in bbc-speak are described as ‘under-served’ audiences – the Victoria Derbyshire show, has been unceremoniously axed. This is an absurd move to make, especially when the organisation is obsessing over how to demonstrate that it can speak to audiences beyond the educated metropolitan elite. To add insult to injury, bbc bosses didn’t even tell their award-winning presenter that she and her team were getting the chop. She read about it in The Times.

Criticisms of the bbc began to flood in almost immediately after the election. Mainly there were accusations of bias – specifically of a left-leaning favouritism that had unfairly targeted Tory views. However, the truth of the matter, seen in production meetings and panicked late night broadcasts, is that the bbc currently possesses very little idea of how to present politics at all.

My colleagues love pointing out that the bbc is accused of bias by both left and right – as if this is proof that such accusations are baseless. But these criticisms simply reflect a total dissatisfaction with the news. A handful of mps, deeply enshrined in London’s literary and intellectual circles, treat the bbc like a university common room. By default these individuals are Remainers. To continue booking them (drinking with them), the production staff must then secure the presence of their leave voting, far right opposition. Then a meeting must be held about the fact that both guests are white (they almost always are). That’s where we’re at right now.

Rub out the grid and start again.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 27, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

Just had an Indian colleague ask me if it’s true that Muslims have taken over in Europe “like they are trying to do in India.”

He didn’t like my answer (which was “no”), and said “aha but what about Sadiq Khan?”

I know Hindu nationalism has been on the rise for a couple of decades now but it’s weird to encounter it in Brazil.

lol fuckers like this gatekeep the everliving poo poo out of other Indian people abroad, constantly looking for ways you've failed to show the intelligence to assimilate with the community which they will also judge you for assimilating with too much, they never let their kids marry outside Indian heritage if they even let you within five paces of a non-Hindu, and gently caress me are they duplicitous manipulative shitheads

bullet in the back of their heads to a one

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If anyone thinks the Home Office isn't quite so bad when it comes to asylum, or that tribunals (which are only available from the UK for specific vulnerable groups, anyway) are fair and sufficient to deal with it, have a read through this:

BBC News - 'How do I convince the Home Office I'm a lesbian?

[trigger warnings I guess, because being a lesbian in Africa isn't fun despite what the HO and judge may think]

I especially like how they advised her to move to a different part of the country instead, as if that's a solution in countries where homosexuality is illegal and homosexuals are widely abused by the state itself.

tl;dr: [also another trigger warning] they didn't believe her rape was a "corrective" one because she wasn't emotional enough when describing that aspect of it, but rather a run-of-the-mill rape by the police. But there's a whole lot more awful poo poo there.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 27, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

If anyone thinks the Home Office isn't quite so bad when it comes to asylum, or that tribunals (which are only available from the UK for specific vulnerable groups, anyway) are fair and sufficient to deal with it, have a read through this:

BBC News - 'How do I convince the Home Office I'm a lesbian?

[trigger warnings I guess, because being a lesbian in Africa isn't fun despite what the HO and judge may think]

I especially like how they advised her to move to a different part of the country instead, as if that's a solution in countries where homosexuality is illegal and homosexuals are widely abused by the state itself.

There's a singular lack of awareness of many in the UK, US, 'liberal West' generally about how things are in other countries for homosexuals (and other issues). I had an argument with an American self-development 'guru' who said "people should out themselves then they can never be blackmailed". I said to him, it's ok for you safe and sound in the US but if you're living in a country (of which there are more than a few) where being homosexual can at the very least result in the police shoving broom handles and electric probes up your bum, and in some a death sentence, that is really not an option you want to pursue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Plank Sanction posted:

Does this guy think the decades of consultations and planning just somehow didn't notice the Great Central or..?
I think it's more that he's come to the conclusion that it was spotted and ignored in favor of some nebulous 'East Midlands transport hub' for reasons that are more political than practical.

Borrovan posted:

I've posted about it before (& am teaching in 6 minutes so no time to repeat myself), but environmental justice in this country actually relies on NIMBYism: regulatory law is utterly toothless, so the more effective enforcement mechanisms are private law & judicial review proceedings by concerned locals.

Does usually mean just offloading the problems off onto areas where the locals can't afford to go around suing people tho
The original example would be the first* environmental legislation with actual teeth, the Alkali Act 1863, wasn't because muriatic acid gas emissions were killing people, but because they started drifting and killing landowners' crops.

The industry solution was to dump it in canals instead, which was later prohibited when the copper on boats started dissolving.

*there were some sewerage acts before that, but the first one that specifically referred to an industrial process rather than littering or excrement

Beefeater1980 posted:

Can't believe that the plan of the Fifth Caliphate was to get people democratically elected and have them be huge melts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

by allah we tried to defeat the kafir by democratic methods and our sleeper cell went centrist dad

time to operate plan C

outcompeting nandos

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Plank Sanction posted:

Hard to give your mates the cushy contracts if the infrastructure already exists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

It's slightly weird to imagine someone going on about that in a country that was literally ruled by muslim emperors not that long ago.

Like surely you know when the muslims have taken over india because they start building massive persian domes everywhere.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 27, 2020

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Guavanaut posted:

I think it's more that he's come to the conclusion that it was spotted and ignored in favor of some nebulous 'East Midlands transport hub' for reasons that are more political than practical.

It's an idea that's been knocking around for a while. It's not practical though because most of the trackbed is either built on or still in use. Slightly disingenuous of the article to frame it otherwise. It also misses Birmingham!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I miss Birmingham from time to time.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Tesseraction posted:

I miss the old New Street station. Gloriously poo poo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There's a singular lack of awareness of many in the UK, US, 'liberal West' generally about how things are in other countries for homosexuals (and other issues). I had an argument with an American self-development 'guru' who said "people should out themselves then they can never be blackmailed". I said to him, it's ok for you safe and sound in the US but if you're living in a country (of which there are more than a few) where being homosexual can at the very least result in the police shoving broom handles and electric probes up your bum, and in some a death sentence, that is really not an option you want to pursue.

And lest someone thinks this is an isolated case, the article says 72% asylum cases featuring persecution on the basis of homosexuality were denied (doesn't say if within the last year or when).

Britain: a very LGB(uhh, someone hide the T)-friendly nation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's slightly weird to imagine someone going on about that in a country that was literally ruled by muslim emperors not that long ago.
There's a ton of in in Spain tho.

Plank Sanction posted:

It's an idea that's been knocking around for a while. It's not practical though because most of the trackbed is either built on or still in use. Slightly disingenuous of the article to frame it otherwise.
It's pretty cool how much of the infrastructure does still exist, you can see it clear as day on an aerial map, and there's random bits of it along country lanes and larger roads all over the place.

More importantly, none of it is protected woodland, and a lot of it is still owned on a separate lease to the farmland, although yeah quite a few bits have been built on. That's true of all the other proposals too though.

I think he's way under on £6bn, you could easily double that, or stick a 0 on the end if you wanted a massive upgrade.

Interestingly there's already a far smaller project to link the last remnant of the GCR from Leicester North to Loughborough up to the main network to allow a service up to Nottingham (not sure how that's going atm).

Plank Sanction posted:

It also misses Birmingham!
Yes, there's lots of peripheral benefits.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

whynotboth.gif

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Plank Sanction posted:

I miss the old New Street station. Gloriously poo poo

I legit had no idea that rebuild had happened so when I turned up for a conference in 2014 I was like "I know this place like the back of my h-- what the gently caress is this? Where is the exit? Which way is NORTH?!"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The idea that a high-speed railway connecting the country's biggest city to its second biggest city in the country where they invented trains is extremely controversial is bizarre to me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Well it's a bit tricky because Defcon doesn't consider it a major city so it's not on the map, but if you click on London the flash covers Birmingham anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

The idea that a high-speed railway connecting the country's biggest city to its second biggest city in the country where they invented trains is extremely controversial is bizarre to me.
It's controversial because the route is bad and the Tories will use it to funnel money to their mates, not because a guy in Merthyr Tydfil put a Glaswegian's big kettle on rails before anyone else.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Let's replace HS2, a scheme primarily to reduce pressure on the West Coast Line, with a line that completely ignores the west coast!

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Guavanaut posted:

There's a ton of in in Spain tho.

It's pretty cool how much of the infrastructure does still exist, you can see it clear as day on an aerial map, and there's random bits of it along country lanes and larger roads all over the place.

More importantly, none of it is protected woodland, and a lot of it is still owned on a separate lease to the farmland, although yeah quite a few bits have been built on. That's true of all the other proposals too though.

I think he's way under on £6bn, you could easily double that, or stick a 0 on the end if you wanted a massive upgrade.

Interestingly there's already a far smaller project to link the last remnant of the GCR from Leicester North to Loughborough up to the main network to allow a service up to Nottingham (not sure how that's going atm).

Yes, there's lots of peripheral benefits.

I think part of it is being used for a heritage railway as well. Also, it becomes the NET in Nottingham.

Nottingham Victoria (GCML's station) was sadly bulldozed to make way for a shopping centre that is marginally better than the Broadmarsh. Still has the clocktower though!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm not defending the current HS2 route mind, I did some ecological surveys with the Wildlife Trusts along the route, and ho boy is catastrophic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Tesseraction posted:

I legit had no idea that rebuild had happened so when I turned up for a conference in 2014 I was like "I know this place like the back of my h-- what the gently caress is this? Where is the exit? Which way is NORTH?!"

Oh god, yes. I lived in Nottingham and had to travel to and from Reading a lot for a few years, during the reconstruction. It seemed to change layout every time I was there since they closed different bits off to rebuild. It was like changing trains at a Zelda temple.