Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's one thing that I felt Subnautica could have improved upon; the feeling of environmental danger could have been expanded upon greatly. Once you get the seamoth, the oxy meter is totally irrelevant, and there's not enough play on depth pressure as a danger. 100 meters is pretty drat deep, nevermind 1km. Could you imagine having to deal with pressure zones and the like? Like, the lava caves aren't deep nor hot, but rather only far away, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I was more scared of the empty dark depths than any creature of the sea. And even then scanner bases help erase that fear after you can see the sea floor mapped out for 500m.

Some kind of subnautica dark souls doesn't sound like it would be that fun.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The current version of subnautica, I still haven't found enough laser drill fragments, haven't found a moonpool, I have no idea where to get the remaining freestanding locker fragment, and I still haven't found a bunch of seatruck sections. Also the more seatruck sections you add on the slower it gets, and it gets SLOOOWWW. it's faster to just carry parts for a tube/bed/fabricator than it is to have bed/fabricator sections on there.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DropsySufferer posted:

I want Subnautica: Abyss

You thought 1000 meters was really deep, that's cute. Time to go down 20,000 meters! :aaaaa:

No that would be too much fun let's make the Subnautica: arctic sea instead.

Yea that would own. Though I've heard Below Zero emphasizes depth a lot more so that's good at least.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DropsySufferer posted:

I want Subnautica: Abyss

You thought 1000 meters was really deep, that's cute. Time to go down 20,000 meters! :aaaaa:

No that would be too much fun let's make the Subnautica: arctic sea instead.

yeah i want a game like subnautica that just goes to absolutely absurd depths. also with less lighting; i disliked that subnautica is never dark, especially in places that should have been pitch black like the lost river or basically anywhere below 400m.

i remember seeing a picture from a scifi book when i was a kid of a rather large submarine about to be swallowed by an absolutely fuckin gigantic fish. not like a reaper or otherwise aggressive-looking sea creature, but basically just a fuckin huge but regular-rear end lookin fish. i find that a hell of a lot creepier than anything in subnautica, so if we ever did get a subnautica that went into 4546b's abyss, i'd love to see a creature like that.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 27, 2020

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

The current version of subnautica, I still haven't found enough laser drill fragments, haven't found a moonpool, I have no idea where to get the remaining freestanding locker fragment, and I still haven't found a bunch of seatruck sections. Also the more seatruck sections you add on the slower it gets, and it gets SLOOOWWW. it's faster to just carry parts for a tube/bed/fabricator than it is to have bed/fabricator sections on there.

I usually treat the truck like a combo of a more maneuverable cyclops and a less maneuverable seamoth. Haul whatever sections you think you need to wherever you would normally stage your cyclops, then release them and use the front like a seamoth (or jump in the prawn).

Reattaching them is a pain though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

The current version of subnautica, I still haven't found enough laser drill fragments, haven't found a moonpool, I have no idea where to get the remaining freestanding locker fragment, and I still haven't found a bunch of seatruck sections.

If you’re talking about Below Zero, the moon pool isn’t discovered from scanning fragments anymore, you need to find a place with a finished one and scan that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i remember seeing a picture from a scifi book when i was a kid of a rather large submarine about to be swallowed by an absolutely fuckin gigantic fish.

Just sent me looking for old roger zealazny novels, cause I thought this might be "The Doors of his Face, The Lamps of his Mouth" but it's not.

But now I'm deep in a nostalgia haze for my childhood bedroom, absolutely stacked with scifi paperbacks.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I used to get hit about the head with soft paperbacks.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I think I know the book you're talking about, just can't find that particular illustration anywhere online.

This one?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah it was either that one or another in the same series

e: here it is

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 27, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SugarAddict posted:

Wait, wait...

Freestanding locker fragment?

They didn't actually turn LOCKERS into a fragment item, did they :psyduck:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The deep lava zone should've been boiling hot.

Also I would love some freaky combination of Subnautica and Oxygen Not Included, exploring an asteroid or planetoid in space.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The deep lava zone should've been boiling hot.

Also I would love some freaky combination of Subnautica and Oxygen Not Included, exploring an asteroid or planetoid in space.

I always thought the expansion to subnautica should have been something going wrong with your escape rocket and you needing to do a bunch of stuff in space. Obviously there would have to be a bunch of space debris or something. I guess ultimately there’s just not enough stuff in space to interact with in a small area unless it’s all made and put there by people so it would get too far away from what made subnautica good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Breathedge, maybe?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Breathedge, maybe?

It's on my wishlist.

My dream games are very specific and nothing will ever actually live up to them. Stardew Valley is the closest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Super-Id posted:

I always thought the expansion to subnautica should have been something going wrong with your escape rocket and you needing to do a bunch of stuff in space. Obviously there would have to be a bunch of space debris or something. I guess ultimately there’s just not enough stuff in space to interact with in a small area unless it’s all made and put there by people so it would get too far away from what made subnautica good.

something goes wrong with your rocket and you crash-land on the pikmin planet and have to use them to fix your ship

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

you land on another planet, and while you're exploring, aliens steal parts of your ship and you have to find them...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Section Z posted:

Wait, wait...

Freestanding locker fragment?

They didn't actually turn LOCKERS into a fragment item, did they :psyduck:

You start with wall lockers already known, freestanding lockers require 2 fragments, one of which is on the island base with the rocket and radio tower.

Edit: I need to carry around the parts for a scanner room, bioreactor and stuff, just so I can find fragments easier because I have 6 hours in my current save and I still haven't found all the laser cutter fragments, but I did find an external growbed, but no internal growbed. poo poo is scattered litreally everywhere and you have to litreally comb the map for it. Would be easier if they included an ingame map. which they did not still even though there's been mods that do that for years.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 27, 2020

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think they excluded the map from these games intentionally.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

enraged_camel posted:

you land on another planet, and while you're exploring, aliens steal parts of your ship and you have to find them...

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

SugarAddict posted:

Would be easier if they included an ingame map. which they did not still even though there's been mods that do that for years.

I'm one of those odd people that is actually happy there is no map.
I know it's not realistic of your character to have all these advanced gadgets but no mapping function, but navigating without a map made the whole game feel bigger and actually allowed me to build familiarity with the environments in a way that I probably wouldn't have if I'd had a map.
It also made getting lost and stumbling onto something cool more of a possibility.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 27, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There is a map, you can only see a 500m square of it at a time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Subnautica absolutely is better for not having a full map, and I say that as somebody who googled a map after my first playthrough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SugarAddict posted:

You start with wall lockers already known, freestanding lockers require 2 fragments, one of which is on the island base with the rocket and radio tower.

Edit: I need to carry around the parts for a scanner room, bioreactor and stuff, just so I can find fragments easier because I have 6 hours in my current save and I still haven't found all the laser cutter fragments, but I did find an external growbed, but no internal growbed. poo poo is scattered litreally everywhere and you have to litreally comb the map for it. Would be easier if they included an ingame map. which they did not still even though there's been mods that do that for years.
"No you still get wall lockers" doesn't make it better, it's just confirming the :psyduck:

Looks like they didn't learn their lessons about fragment RNJesus so much as double down on their problems. Your laser cutter problems bring to mind how even in the first game, after they turned it from a default to fragments. Lots of them would spawn inside sealed places only accessible via laser cutter :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 28, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Subnautica absolutely is better for not having a full map, and I say that as somebody who googled a map after my first playthrough.

I dunno, I was fairly annoyed by not having an in game map. It felt like “forced immersion”.

Besides, it was super unrealistic considering the game’s own universe. You have all kinds of futuristic tech at your disposal, but no means to have even a 2D map? Come on.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

enraged_camel posted:

I dunno, I was fairly annoyed by not having an in game map. It felt like “forced immersion”.

Besides, it was super unrealistic considering the game’s own universe. You have all kinds of futuristic tech at your disposal, but no means to have even a 2D map? Come on.

Maybe the intellectual rights to mapping software was bought out by a rival corporation and they now charge a high licensing fee, which is why Alterra no longer includes it in the survival software suite of their PDAs?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

enraged_camel posted:

It felt like “forced immersion”.
what if they made the whole game out of forced immersion

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

Spotted another elite dangerous player.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

What I meant is that the lack of a map does not feel normal or natural in this game's universe. So it jumps out at you as a conscious decision the developers made in order to "force" immersion upon the player — utilizing your spatial memory to know the location of biomes and points of interest with relation to each other results in higher cognitive load, and if you're having to mentally keep track of your current location all the time so as to avoid getting lost, you're paying more attention to the game and are therefore more immersed. It is in stark contrast with the rest of the game, which is very naturally immersive.

I mean, I can understand how the decision may have been made originally, back in EA when we had destructible terrain. A static map wouldn't be suitable for that, and a dynamic map may have proven too time-consuming/low priority for the devs. But once they ditched the destructible terrain they should have added at least a rudimentary map in my opinion.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 28, 2020

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

What I meant is that the lack of a map does not feel normal or natural in this game's universe. So it jumps out at you as a conscious decision the developers made in order to "force" immersion upon the player — utilizing your spatial memory to know the location of biomes and points of interest with relation to each other results in higher cognitive load, and if you're having to mentally keep track of your current location all the time so as to avoid getting lost, you're paying more attention to the game and are therefore more immersed. It is in stark contrast with the rest of the game, which is very naturally immersive.

I mean, I can understand how the decision may have been made originally, back in EA when we had destructible terrain. A static map wouldn't be suitable for that, and a dynamic map may have proven too time-consuming/low priority for the devs. But once they ditched the destructible terrain they should have added at least a rudimentary map in my opinion.

Can you give an example of something the game that's naturally immersive? Because your description of forced immersion just sounds like regular immersion.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Draw your own map if it bothers you imo :colbert:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just use beacons for interesting spots.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Not having a map makes it a better game. The in-universe justification for it could just be that it's a broken PDA, same reason you can't make a cyclops when you first land. Only difference is that if they told you that your map is damaged, they need to give you a way of fixing it. Much better to just not put it in and not mention it. Putting in a feature that makes your game worse or encourages degenerate play just because the universe implies it, is bad design. Lore should never dictate gameplay, it should exist to enrich it.

I agree though, that there are solutions for it; using PDA messages or something to explain why there's no map might help with your immersion issue, but I don't think that actually putting a map in would make the game better. One of the chief joys of Subnautica is the player's gradually expanding mastery of the environment, and building a mental map of that space, rather than relying on an automapper, is a huge part of that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Activating PDA automap... Error: your subscription to Alterra EasyMaps has expired. Please contact your system administrator to enable mapping functionality.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The game is absolutely better for not having a map. It isn't a big enough game map to make it mandatory to stop the player from getting lost, and not having a map preserves the sense of wonder and mystery for longer. While it was still fun throughout, the game got progressively less scary and intimidating for me once I started to define the limits of the game world and all the creatures in it. The developers put in alternative systems that let the players mark locations and develop their own points of interest.

Counterpoint: It would be pretty cool to have a room in the base with a holographic map that fills out as you explore and descend. Like the scanner room projection but pull far out, a pillar of map-light.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just use beacons for interesting spots.

Same, especially as soon as I realized that you can turn them on and off in the PDA. One of the beginner guides I had said not to clutter up your screen with waypoints, but im guessing they didnt know that part. (For anyone new, you can also turn on old lifepod waypoints if you found them, but they were near something that you wanted to come back to.)

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Activating PDA automap... Error: your subscription to Alterra EasyMaps has expired. Please contact your system administrator to enable mapping functionality.

Its possible that with your PDA being corrupted its not able to update a real time map.

That being said the mod that adds a map is very handy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wingnut Ninja posted:

AlterraStar satellite can not locate your vehicle.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Please pay 500 Credits for AlterraMap DLC.

With your current outstanding balance, your purchase total is 2,000,000,500 credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Subnautica was definitely a lot more fun without a map, personally.

Instead I ended up having over 200 beacons with that expanded beacon mod to add extra colours. It felt incredbly good being able to just get around places based off of putting beacons at significant waypoints and other areas of interest.