Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

President Ark posted:

i think the reason you're not getting many bites on that question is that it's incredibly broad; "I want to play a modpack that has a good crafting/storage system mod like AE2 or RS, suggest one for me" is kind of like saying "i want to eat a sandwich that has bread that was cooked in an oven, suggest one for me"; at this point practically every modpack has one of those two mods or something of comparable utility

i don't want to sound like i'm snidely dismissing you; rather, i'm after more information. blightfall has AE2 and i love blightfall but it also severely limits power generation so that suggestion is out

- do you want a pack that has you start very limited and you have to build your way up to high-tech stuff, or do you want access to whatever you want to build from the word "go"?
- do you want a kitchen sink pack that has whatever the gently caress mods the creator decided to put in (if not all of them), or something more focused on specific mods?
- do you want a freeform do-whatever pack, or something with a quest system?
- do you want the recipes and progression to basically look like Vanilla Minecraft With Some Extra Tiers After Diamond, or do you want something heavily divergent that does its own thing?

a good average modpack that's closer to vanilla and features AE2 with other mods to make it interface with is enigmatica 2 (not enigmatica 2 expert, which gates the mods behind other mods and AE2 is at the end of the progression)

enigmatica 2 also has enigmatica 2 light with less of a bloated modlist which would run better on lower-end computers

Thank you for helping me try to narrow things down. I thought I was pretty clear with 'a pack that definitely has a good storage system and tech systems for getting it up and running, without having an overwhelming amount of other mods that a lot of the big packs seem to have but at the very least has some good systems for generating resources (as in from the air or with fairly simple machines) and/or mass mining (like, i'm not against a mining dimension and quarries but that's getting to be Too Much for me to get started'). I'm fine with tech progression and quests seem nice, but really my big thing is not getting a big pack that overwhelms me. I'm okay with divergent systems but I haven't played so much vanilla that I've exhausted everything the base game has and I'd rather play something that adds to vanilla instead of overhauls and replaces it completely.

For example, I'm kind of interested in skyblocks (I'm watching old vods of the LRR crew playing FTB Pyramid Reborn) but as much as the quest progression and challenges appeal to me there's a whole lot of having to grasp what each successive system *is* and building completely different things that get discarded to get there which would be fine for me in small doses but a lot more difficult in a series of three or four dozen -- especially if I'd be playing solo trying to figure out absolutely everything.

Black Pants posted:

Alternatively to what President Ark is asking, why not just put the mods you want to play with into your own pack?
Essentially, I have no idea what mods are good and what serves my purposes without adding a billion other systems, especially since I'm new to modded minecraft in general and would have to try to learn every additional system from scratch. Like, even saying I might want to try out AE instead of refined storage lead to thread discussion about hating meteors (why would a storage system add meteors??) and wanting/needing to use a different mod to disable that (and I'd have no idea where to even start with that). I also wouldn't know where to start with picking out mods that play well together -- the last time I played I was using this modpack which was built for a streamer as a lightweight introduction to modded minecraft, except several things didn't seem to play well (the entire kitchen system, particularly) & it didn't have any generation from nothing as far as I could tell.

I'm also realizing from having conversations in other places that I might just have a bad idea of what modpacks generally are compared to, like, modding other games; a lot lighter on "here is a big thing of mostly QOL additions" and a lot more of "here is every popular system, together, with an opaque name and maybe another system you've never heard of" and as such my question might've just been harder than I thought to answer in the first place so again sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

I'm also realizing from having conversations in other places that I might just have a bad idea of what modpacks generally are compared to, like, modding other games; a lot lighter on "here is a big thing of mostly QOL additions" and a lot more of "here is every popular system, together, with an opaque name and maybe another system you've never heard of" and as such my question might've just been harder than I thought to answer in the first place so again sorry

There are a number of QOL Minecraft mods that are kind of just included with every mod pack by default. No one ever talks about them because they are basically just background as far as modded minecraft is concerned:

-Inventory Tweaks (makes inventory management much better, adds some sorting hotkeys and buttons)

-JEI (the big boy of QOL mods. Adds a menu that show you every modded block and items in the game as well as hotkeys to see every recipe. Often special support is added to JEI for strange modded crafting methods. JEI is the program that is going to teach you how to actually play these mods. 100% essential)

-Journey Map (adds a minimap and waypoint system to minecraft. You can also teleport to the waypoints if you enable that)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Do you know that there are a number of LRR-community modpacks? There's even Sergecraft which was made for Serge who had been playing vanilla for a while and wanted to try lightly-modded.

But yeah, there are thousands of modpacks, ranging from doing what I suggested ("I want to play with these mods so I'll make a pack for me and my friends.") to finely crafted and tuned experiences with a custom progression system, recipes and even story and world. So without knowing exactly what you do and don't want, it's exactly like asking to suggest a sandwich just as long as it involves bread.

I'm kinda tempted to just make something for you because while I have a good idea of what you'd like, I personally can't really think of anything that fits all of your requirements, especially the 'not too many mods' thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sergecraft is the link in the second half of the post, with my thoughts about it. Haven't tried 2 yet.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

sergecraft is the link in the second half of the post, with my thoughts about it. Haven't tried 2 yet.

really though it's just the overwhelmingness that I want to avoid, having a bunch of mods is fine as long as I don't end up having to progress through like three successive mods to do something like 'make a simple compact mob grinder to get drops' or 'power my crafting and storage in a way that I don't need to care about power for a long while

edit: oops double post

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Imo you could consider a guided skyblock that takes you through mods one by one to get your hand in, and then use the knowledge gained there to look for another modpack once you have Evolved your Needs

E: that said the examples there tend to be skyblock midgame

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well I mean I'm running a pack/server that has pretty much every* mod but with minimal recipe changes so you can progress through any mod you want at any pace you want but it's.. probably a bit heavy. :v:

(Also sorry I should have actually looked at that link, derp)

If you want to try your hand at making a pack, head into the Mods section of Twitch client, click Create Custom Instance, and then Get More Content once you make it, then just look through the list it gives you - which is ordered by popularity, as far as I know. If you just want a handful of mods, it's a fairly painless process.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone remember what that underwater "seablock" map was called? I vaguely remember a few WIP pictures but the name escapes me. I wanted to see how it was progressing.

Also I just realized in a few months I will have been playing Minecraft on/off for 10 years :aaaaa:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Cerepol posted:

Anyone remember what that underwater "seablock" map was called? I vaguely remember a few WIP pictures but the name escapes me. I wanted to see how it was progressing.

Also I just realized in a few months I will have been playing Minecraft on/off for 10 years :aaaaa:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/seablock-rustic-waters

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Oh wow it was actually called seablock I feel like a fool! Thanks

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Garfu posted:

p sure the joke is it's made by Ruti "1.7 til I die" bex
1.7 is not the version I was thinking of. I also like old versions of mc, much like Rutibex.

Anyhow, I'm downloading Rutibex' mod pack even though I don't have time to properly play it. I was just making a thread joke.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

1.7 is not the version I was thinking of. I also like old versions of mc, much like Rutibex.

Anyhow, I'm downloading Rutibex' mod pack even though I don't have time to properly play it. I was just making a thread joke.

:v:
1.2.5 alpha is the one true version. The merging of the singleplayer and multiplayer clients is where the game really went off the rails.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have begun to play, the rutibex pack

e: the rutibex pack defaults to mipmap level 4. there is no crippling slowness but curse you regardless

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 27, 2020

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
People play without mipmaps? Big yikes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i have begun to play, the rutibex pack

e: the rutibex pack defaults to mipmap level 4. there is no crippling slowness but curse you regardless

I'm sorry I don't even know what that setting does.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

central dogma posted:

People play without mipmaps? Big yikes.

Mnecraft's mipmapping being active at all has a huge negative performance impact on low-spec computers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not just low spec but yeah, that

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Playing on my old laptop, it could take from 5-10 mins just to turn mipmapping off.
It was truly horrible.
Game would run fine after that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

Playing on my old laptop, it could take from 5-10 mins just to turn mipmapping off.
It was truly horrible.
Game would run fine after that.

I don't know what mipmapping is, but I do know is minecraft runs better with it off.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

I don't know what mipmapping is, but I do know is minecraft runs better with it off.

Mipmapping precomputes less detailed textures for objects that are further away, so that (implemented properly) you get a performance boost by not rendering every texture at maximum resolution regardless of distance.

However, due to :notch:, turning mipmapping on in Minecraft degrades performance.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Speaking of performance, does anyone know why MC.Eternal runs like an enormous turd? I've turned mipmaps off and set chunks rendered to 8, and I've got enough RAM, but it lags incredibly badly. This is the first modpack I've ever had such big issues running.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vib Rib posted:

If you played the original TFC or TNFC or TNFC:EZ, this page will do a pretty good job of outlining the differences between the old and new versions: https://plus.terrafirmacraft.com/Differences_From_TFC
There's a lot of built in conveniences already, even early game stuff like being able to actually sleep in a hide bed, and the ability to make storage containers out of straw. Wood is a little easier to get with trees yielding more logs, and food spoilage is a little easier to manage with things like vessels and burlap sacks cutting decay down massively.

The new version of TFC has a lot of performance issues so the pack is being kept very light. The current plan for a TNFC:EZ revival (and again no guarantees) is to port over most of the mods of convenience, like the decorative blocks, drying mat, additional recipes, and so on, but drop most of the extraneous tech mods, like Forestry and IE. Railcraft will still be in to assist in certain quality of life upgrades, and the real big milestones that let you rise above the normal limitations of TFC.
You won't be able to cold-process colored steel from scratch anymore, but almost everything else will still have eventual shortcuts you can tech up into, like the coke oven, Better Storage, rolling machine sheets, and so on. So the pace will be slower, more in line with traditional TFC, but with all the new features of the new one.

Ultimately, it's as yet a matter of weighing options. Do the new features outweigh the drop in performance and the removal of some of the big mods? I want to play with it myself more before I come to any conclusions.

hey so I got around to beginning to install this and forge doesn't seem to play nice with the current minecraft java launcher. am I missing something? it crashes instantly upon trying to launch through the new MC launcher.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Invictus posted:

hey so I got around to beginning to install this and forge doesn't seem to play nice with the current minecraft java launcher. am I missing something? it crashes instantly upon trying to launch through the new MC launcher.
I just use MultiMC, personally. It's really easy to throw out a new instance, choose the proper MC version, and install the proper forge with a few clicks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Captain Invictus posted:

I used https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/baseafirmacraft with the twitch launcher.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thanks, I'd not used the twitch launcher before, made things super easy.

edit: it's been many years since I played TFC, and I have utterly forgotten all of it. There's not a single in-game guide or way to learn how to craft/knap stuff/learn any of the crafting processes, it's all still via wikis, right? if so, that's a drat shame.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 5, 2020

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

thanks, I'd not used the twitch launcher before, made things super easy.

edit: it's been many years since I played TFC, and I have utterly forgotten all of it. There's not a single in-game guide or way to learn how to craft/knap stuff/learn any of the crafting processes, it's all still via wikis, right? if so, that's a drat shame.

If you use one of the modpacks on twitch launcher (baseafirmacraft or terrafirmacraft+ community pack) you have NEI integration for most things. Definitely knapping / clay / barrel and alloy recipes which are the hardest to remember.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

Speaking of performance, does anyone know why MC.Eternal runs like an enormous turd? I've turned mipmaps off and set chunks rendered to 8, and I've got enough RAM, but it lags incredibly badly. This is the first modpack I've ever had such big issues running.

It needs 8 gigs of ram, it also has a bunch of mods running that don't really add anything like hats and emotes, and it also adds a ton of heavy mods like thaumcraft, and it has something like 8 additional dimensions.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Oddly enough for me, MC Eternal runs like...better than any modpack I've ever played? I did just upgrade this PC in the past year but still, it was a surprise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VegasGoat posted:

If you use one of the modpacks on twitch launcher (baseafirmacraft or terrafirmacraft+ community pack) you have NEI integration for most things. Definitely knapping / clay / barrel and alloy recipes which are the hardest to remember.

Thanks for this, but man, I enjoyed TFC, but I think this new TFC is way, way too much for me. Just way too intricate with its systems, even compared to original TFC. Also, the first night I got mobbed by roughly 20 zombies at once, got hit a single time, and bled out from a "small scratch".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Captain Invictus posted:

Thanks for this, but man, I enjoyed TFC, but I think this new TFC is way, way too much for me. Just way too intricate with its systems, even compared to original TFC. Also, the first night I got mobbed by roughly 20 zombies at once, got hit a single time, and bled out from a "small scratch".

Always play TFC in peaceful mode. TFC mobs have and always will be bullshit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yep, I did that, but I just am not feeling this new TFC like I did the old one, unfortunately. Oh well.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

SugarAddict posted:

It needs 8 gigs of ram, it also has a bunch of mods running that don't really add anything like hats and emotes, and it also adds a ton of heavy mods like thaumcraft, and it has something like 8 additional dimensions.

The latest update of the pack seems to have improved it enough that it's not much of a bother any more. I'll pull out the useless mods as well, and see if that makes a difference.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

one day im gonna take a bunch of adderall and make an actual integrated dynamics/tunnels/terminals/crafting storage system

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I decided to try playing IC2 since I missed the era when it was King poo poo of tech mods, and because I kind of like mods that are "about themselves." But it would really benefit from in-game documentation, or out-of-game documentation that was consistently up to date, or even everything showing up in jei. Are there documentation mods that explain everything, or modpacks designed to teach it without making me slog though a hundred mods of hat wearing John Cena super creepers?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

I decided to try playing IC2 since I missed the era when it was King poo poo of tech mods, and because I kind of like mods that are "about themselves." But it would really benefit from in-game documentation, or out-of-game documentation that was consistently up to date, or even everything showing up in jei. Are there documentation mods that explain everything, or modpacks designed to teach it without making me slog though a hundred mods of hat wearing John Cena super creepers?

"Documentation" for minecraft mods has always basically consisted of watching youtubers (mostly Direwolf20)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Does direwolf20 avoid the "spend 2/3 of the video verbally describing crafting recipes" trap?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

Does direwolf20 avoid the "spend 2/3 of the video verbally describing crafting recipes" trap?

I never understood why mod reviewers always spend 20min showing crafting recipes. Its literally the one thing I don't need you for.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rutibex posted:

I never understood why mod reviewers always spend 20min showing crafting recipes. Its literally the one thing I don't need you for.
It's only useful if it's a 5 second one-off of "make like 20 of these because you're going to need them" or "make sure you have n of x,y,z before you start" or like "get a source of ender pearls before you start this mod".

Showing actual recipes, outside of multi-blocks sometimes like when Draconic Evolution's stuff required specific placement that wasn't accurately described anywhere online, is always useless.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
You're going to have to pick one of the following while searching for a video with details on some undocumented mod.

Try to hunt for the 3 seconds of explanation for the item they named the 30 minute video for in the middle of a nice tour of the house and a extensive listing of what they've worked on between videos. Maybe you can pause the video in the single frame the detail you are looking for is displayed.
or
Sit through 20 minutes of a slow walk though a long hallway of meticulously laid out item frames to show all 60 recipe variations, then a quick 2 minute summary of what the thing can do at the rushed so they have enough time for the like/sub beg, here's my patreon, come to discord and vote on my next subject, 3rd person wave goodbye.

Because you know the two 2012 wikis aren't going to be much help and in game documentation goes against the spirit of the experience the mod developer envisions for the player.