Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

women write like this, men write like THIS *honks horn*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there are definitely no shortage of stories written by men that use that trope lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm gonna write a flawed hero caught in a love triangle; pursued by a dangerous, tall, good-natured, handsome, spirited woman who can barely suppress her feral instincts for HIM ONLY.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 26, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

there are definitely no shortage of stories written by men that use that trope lol
a lot of the shoujo genre was codified by men and then women took those tropes and put their own spins on it

you see the same thing with like, magical girls. its counter intuitive but the early problem of the day, romance and daily life focused magical girl stuff was mostly by men and it was female authors like takeuchi who worked in the sentai and tokusatsu elements that modern magical girl stuff is associated with.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

The Colonel posted:

personally the disconnect for the genre with me comes at wanting to gently caress men

Believe me, we don't get it either.

While that is the frame that practically every bodice ripper is hung on, it's such a douchey thing to say.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its... not even really a bodice ripper thing, that is a super general trope for both sexes

chumbler posted:

I'm gonna write a flawed hero caught in a love triangle; pursued by a dangerous, tall, good-natured, handsome, spirited woman who can barely suppress his feral instincts for HIM ONLY.

for example, off the top of my head, if you remove good-natured this could even just describe the bbc show Luther from a few years ago

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPATgGTt7OE

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Snooze Cruise posted:

for example, off the top of my head, if you remove good-natured this could even just describe the bbc show Luther from a few years ago
https://twitter.com/richardmedh/status/747593154639986692

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Snooze Cruise posted:

its... not even really a bodice ripper thing, that is a super general trope for both sexes

I never said it was exclusive to female lead characters, authors, or the genre, and even if I'd take the odds, it still doesn't mean I'm down with the :rolleyes:women:rolleyes: tweet.

I attribute that formula to women because it has a deceptive underpinning of sexual agency in it, not because I think it's bad.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

chumbler posted:

I'm gonna write a flawed hero caught in a love triangle; pursued by a dangerous, tall, good-natured, handsome, spirited woman who can barely suppress her feral instincts for HIM ONLY.

make that multiple women and you've got a decent harem

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love the fact that he only says the heroine's name, but everyone else is "[Hikaru] Midorikawa, [Kousuke] Tori[umi], [Katsuyuki] Konishi, [Yuuki] Kaji-bear".

kater
Nov 16, 2010

how the gently caress can you call legoshi spirited.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Sometimes he yells at a lion

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chumbler posted:

That's still just Louis and Juno, best i can tell where the series was headed?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

chumbler posted:

I'm gonna write a flawed hero caught in a love triangle; pursued by a dangerous, tall short, good-natured, handsome, spirited woman who can barely suppress her feral instincts for HIM ONLY.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Haunted rather than spirited, really.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

What anime is that and is it any good?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CrazySalamander posted:

In/Spectre and I enjoy it a lot, feels like a sleeper hit to me.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

CrazySalamander posted:

It's called Kyoko Suiri or In/Spectre. It's fantastic. Smart writing, murder mysteries, goofy yokai, fabulous hairstyles, irate snake gods, this show has it all.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The first time that picture was posted in this thread was what made me watch In/Spectre, it's really good and definitely worth giving a go. I think if it wasn't for Eizouken it would be the anime I'm enjoying most so far this season.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Nthing in/spectre recommendations, although I needed time to get used to it. It's specific

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's by the same author as blast of tempest and like that show there are entire episodes of the characters hashing out logic and motivations and plans without any action, so yeah its appeal is somewhat specific but it's satisfying to watch.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Not only that, what threw me off the most initially were dialogues. They are really unnatural in a way. Those characters don't talk like real people, they talk like novel characters

edit: I meant put me off. English language has beat me yet again

macabresca fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 27, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Lemon-Lime posted:

The badly-written part of IBO is the end of s01 that just sets up a bunch of named characters dying in the big fight against the terrifying monstrosity, and then abruptly rolls that all back and they're fine, actually!

The rest of it is good, especially all the episodes without any fights in them.

oh right, that part

yeah having people miraclously survive their encounter with that thing was pretty dumb and really cheapened how horrific Graze Ein was supposed to be. it didn't ruin season 1 for me but definitaly made me go "huh that's a little weird"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

macabresca posted:

Not only that, what threw me off the most initially were dialogues. They are really unnatural in a way. Those characters don't talk like real people, they talk like novel characters
I think that's part of the charm, tbh. (Small-ish spoilers for Ep 1 and 2, but still putting them under tags for those who haven't tuned in) I mean neither Kotoko nor Kuro are what you'd call normal, everyday humans anymore, so them giving off a strange vibe is par for the course.

It's a similar thing with the Monogatari series in that, part and parcel of the stories' (heh) deal is that all these goofy visuals and bombastic presentation is meant to represent the characters themselves telling us about their happenings. I mean, hell, when the story focuses on the one non-teenaged character doing the narration, the world is shown to be a good deal more mundane. Or, well, at least for a moment. I mean, Shinbo and Itamura are still gonna be Shinbo and Itamura.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Wark Say posted:

I think that's part of the charm, tbh.

Oh, definitely. I wouldn't like it to be any different, I simply had to readjust my expectations a little bit to enjoy the ride

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tales of Woe posted:

it's by the same author as blast of tempest and like that show there are entire episodes of the characters hashing out logic and motivations and plans without any action, so yeah its appeal is somewhat specific but it's satisfying to watch.

There was a whole episode of two characters chewing the scenery aggressively bullshitting each other on whether or not time travel is possible, trying to convince each other while knowingly pulling arguments out of their asses. It's beautiful.

It's like if Kado had interesting characters, well-written dialogue, and a not-terrible ending.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Is anyone else round here still watching Hanako-kun? The last episode went to much darker places than I was expecting from this show.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm still watching it, it's definitely good. it's been doing a good job landing the heavier story beats in this stretch without feeling like it's swinging too far from being a comedy

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I basically skipped the fall season, but I'm enjoying the heck out of Pet and ID: Invaded. Similar initial premises, but they both spin it off in completely different directions.

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

I'm not going to get to this week's episodes before Sunday evening, but I do feel that Hanako has been consistently veering towards darker episodes with every week, despite the comedic beats it hits. I've not read the manga (which is apparently really well received, going by MAL scores - it's just behind Bloom into You) but if it keeps that trajectory it'll end up as a horror show rather than a ghost comedy by the time the season concludes.

I'm also enjoying Pet and ID, for largely different reasons. Pet is mostly about who has how many daggers in how many backs, and I've lost track on occasion because there are so many. ID on the other hand I enjoy for the serial killers mysteries in their personal little dream worlds. And that the cute little victim character turned out to be a serial killer in hiding, which her partner felt he needed to defuse so no one on the force has an unfortunate accident in the line of work.
I wonder how that'll end up being resolved.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

TAICHI I LOVE YOU PLEASE BE SATISFIED WITH YOUR LIFE NO MATTER WHERE IT LEADS ALSO THAT ONE GIRL REALLY LIKES YOU SO JUST BE COOL.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
From what I've seen around the Internet Hanako-kun goes places and many manga readers were psyched to see all the "it's a fun comedy" hot takes after first couple of episodes. I imagine Hanako's backstory will be a real hitter (I'm reading a bit ahead and I don't think we'll get to that this season though).

I watched a bit of Pet and it would be fun if not for yikes upon yikes and a very confusing plot. ID is fine if a bit bland

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh hey, Infinite Dendrogram's back this week aaaand why is there a cute little critter that only talks in internet jargon?

Given it's called "Behemoth", I expect it's gonna turn into a colossal poo poo-wrecking beast and I'm both curious and concerned as to what it'll say when it does.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully playing Blackened Death Metal. :rock:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

railgun getting recap eps the next 2 weeks, RIP. also a couple spring shows have gotten delayed to summer due to the virus though none of the big ones yet

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Speaking of, the voice over on the next ep preview at the end was savage, just busted out laughing.

"Maybe it's because you are a degenerate?"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This week's science romcom episode giving me bad flashbacks to my undergrad and postgrad days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, this week's Kabukicho Sherlock just went right from 0-11 with Moriarty. :stare:. It wasn't unexpected, but goddamn did he clean house on the whole Moran household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
isnt kabukicho sherlock the show that was incredibly poo poo about trans people