Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edward IV posted:

OK. I figured there has to be a cat somewhere or else the exhaust would have been much more smelly than it already is. (There is a small hint of gas in the exhaust when it's idling even after a bit of driving but I don't know if that's normal or not.) I'll still give Precision Tuning a call and see what they suggest in terms of shops or facilities I should visit that know what they're doing. Considering how much of an ordeal it was for me to get to the Eatontown facility (I had a few embarrassing stalls including blocking two lanes of traffic while trying to negotiate a left turn.) so I want to make sure that it'll definitely pass.

Yeah the smell has always been there - on both my foresters in fact, even when stock.

As far as the stalls, it’s all part of the learning and acclimatization process. It always gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Landscaper for that roundabout was probably all "tim, find me the biggest rock you can that we can plop there so that if a car hits it, it will stop and not pass through to injure people on the other side."
No, you want something like a big stone arch, exactly the width of the average car. Gotta thread the needle if you want to make the jump.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

No, you want something like a big stone arch, exactly the width of the average car. Gotta thread the needle if you want to make the jump.

How else are you supposed to unlock the secret car?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beach Bum posted:

So I pulled the driveshaft out of my CR-V some time ago due to it making bad noises (video)...

Due to it having staked ujoints that Honda insists are unserviceable, I left it with my machinist, who finally got around to taking it apart to install the new u-joints I sourced. However...

I am very, VERY glad I pulled it when I did :stonklol:

He says that if we slapped it back together with the new u-joints it would probably run okay, but we're both in agreement that a new driveshaft is in order.

He didn't even charge me, saying "At least I got to bang on something. Been a while since I've gotten to do that. I feel a little... detensified. Is that a word? I'm going with it."

I do love my machinist :allears:

Let that go a little too long, eh?
I can do you one better, but not by much by the look of that. My cousin failed to note the meaning of the noise in his F-150, until the driveshaft fell out one morning, thankfully just as he was pulling out of his driveway. He had worn *through* the front yoke. We got lucky and found one at the wrecking yard. No mean feat - it was a bricknose F-150 with the straight six and a manual.

SEKCobra posted:

This is the opposite of a mechanical failure, it's an utter and amazing success. The driver is a complete failure however and should be removed from the road system for sure.

You said it better than I was thinking of saying it.
edit: and more kindly. I was thinking that maybe in this case it would have been better if the driver safety equipment would have failed in order to clean the gene pool.

Edward IV posted:

OK. I figured there has to be a cat somewhere or else the exhaust would have been much more smelly than it already is. (There is a small hint of gas in the exhaust when it's idling even after a bit of driving but I don't know if that's normal or not.) I'll still give Precision Tuning a call and see what they suggest in terms of shops or facilities I should visit that know what they're doing. Considering how much of an ordeal it was for me to get to the Eatontown facility (I had a few embarrassing stalls including blocking two lanes of traffic while trying to negotiate a left turn.) so I want to make sure that it'll definitely pass.

Not as common as it was pre-OBD II, but I was always annoyed by state inspections that required a visual inspection, AND a sniffer. Why the gently caress do you need to look at it, as long as the poo poo coming out the pipe is clean? Who cares if it has exactly every little thing that the factory put there, as long as it *works*. California is that way - the first gen RX-7 guys there have to source all THREE OEM fitment catcons to be legal, where those of us in less strict states just have to have a working cat that the sniffer doesn't go nuts with. Newer tech converters can do the job with just the one, but CA doesn't have any provision for improvements in the tech - it has to be exactly OEM-equivalent. Heck, here in TX, we've got the rolling 25-year exemption, so don't even need sniffing. No inspection station even has a sniffer or rolling road now, since all the pre-OBD II cars are exempt.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xzzy posted:

Landscaper for that roundabout was probably all "tim, find me the biggest rock you can that we can plop there so that if a car hits it, it will stop and not pass through to injure people on the other side."

...and make sure it's ramp-shaped.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

No inspection station even has a sniffer or rolling road now, since all the pre-OBD II cars are exempt.

Does El Paso still do the two speed (idle and 1500 rpm) sniff on all cars, or did they do away with that? Paging A Small Car. I know El Paso was the last holdout on the old style emissions testing. I don't think El Paso County ever got a dyno test.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Elviscat posted:

Is that an Audi? 'Cause I kinda want a car that can hit a boulder so loving hard the boulder goes on to roll 40' and then total another car, yet the passenger compartment looks 100% intact.

How fast was that fucker going on that little residential road, 60-70?

BMW

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

I was gonna ask if you were answering the question about the brand or the speed, but actually you managed to answer both at the same time :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Does El Paso still do the two speed (idle and 1500 rpm) sniff on all cars, or did they do away with that? Paging A Small Car. I know El Paso was the last holdout on the old style emissions testing. I don't think El Paso County ever got a dyno test.

I don't think any of the counties outside of the ones with a pollution issue, and eventually the adjacent counties (to curtail that little loophole that I was using) had the dyno test, or even emissions testing, though I do not know if El Paso was one of those. Originally it was just Dallas, Tarrant, and Harris, I think.

Ah, here we go: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Travis, Williamson, currently, and El PAso, Williamson, and Travis are still just the Two-Speed Idle test, if not OBD II. 1996 is the first year of OBD II, so it should only be OBD II now. 1995 is exempt as of last month.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectioncriteria.aspx

edit:

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I was gonna ask if you were answering the question about the brand or the speed, but actually you managed to answer both at the same time :colbert:

Heh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

I don't think any of the counties outside of the ones with a pollution issue, and eventually the adjacent counties (to curtail that little loophole that I was using) had the dyno test, or even emissions testing, though I do not know if El Paso was one of those. Originally it was just Dallas, Tarrant, and Harris, I think.

Ah, here we go: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Travis, Williamson, currently, and El PAso, Williamson, and Travis are still just the Two-Speed Idle test, if not OBD II. 1996 is the first year of OBD II, so it should only be OBD II now. 1995 is exempt as of last month.

El Paso was doing emissions testing as far back as the 1980s - at one time they had major pollution issues that left a brown haze over the city (much like LA in the 70s). Part of it (okay a large part) was ASARCO, a smelting plant that shut down in 1999. Much of the area around it (for several miles in every direction) became a Superfund site. I remember the EPA dug up all the yards on a friend's street as part of the remediation..

NY Times article from 1991 about the pollution there. I remember my parents having to get their cars smogged, then having to smog mine in the 90s (and failing spectacularly most of the time).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah the smell has always been there - on both my foresters in fact, even when stock.

As far as the stalls, it’s all part of the learning and acclimatization process. It always gets better.

Hell I still stall sometimes and I’ve been daily driving manuals for like 20 years. No excuses like a tricky clutch either, it just happens sometimes. Best thing is to not sweat it, get the car started and moving again.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

slothrop posted:

Hell I still stall sometimes and I’ve been daily driving manuals for like 20 years. No excuses like a tricky clutch either, it just happens sometimes. Best thing is to not sweat it, get the car started and moving again.

The worst part about stalling is that since I didnt leave from the lights within a few nanoseconds every man and his dog starts honking at me

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Just drive a big capacity 6 pot diesel. You can just about drop the clutch at idle and it won’t stall out on you!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

My small 4 banger td won't stall if you drop the clutch at idle either, even going uphill.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Same. 5.4 mustang will chirp the tires and accelerate happily back to idle. I haven't tried it on a hill, but I suspect you've got some kind of clutch delay or hill start assist, and I know I don't.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

STR posted:

El Paso was doing emissions testing as far back as the 1980s - at one time they had major pollution issues that left a brown haze over the city (much like LA in the 70s). Part of it (okay a large part) was ASARCO, a smelting plant that shut down in 1999. Much of the area around it (for several miles in every direction) became a Superfund site. I remember the EPA dug up all the yards on a friend's street as part of the remediation..

NY Times article from 1991 about the pollution there. I remember my parents having to get their cars smogged, then having to smog mine in the 90s (and failing spectacularly most of the time).

The ASARCO smelter in Tacoma (specializing in high-arsenic copper ore smelting!) Is now $2000/month luxury apartments at the smelter site, and multi-million dollar houses built on top of the tailings pile, it's kinda nuts.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Love Canal was sort of a mechanical failure, I guess?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Big Taint posted:

Love Canal was sort of a mechanical failure, I guess?

Yeah, eventually the drums rusted through.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://i.imgur.com/H169uqH.mp4

:niggly:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Is that a vehicle that uses hub bolts instead of studs? I can see that happening if you put power to the assembly while the wheel is off. It's got a place for a screw to keep the rotor in the right spot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, it looks like the rotor is ready to come off but the caliper is holding it on? :confused:

You could do that on most cars... but why? Or what am I missing?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Just being lazy, had 90 minutes before the sun set on me & didn't want to be out there longer than I had to. Junker is leaving tomorrow and I'm swapping better wheels onto it for the guy.

Left it running in neutral because I didn't want to jump it again. (ended up needing to shut it off anyway) and lol the retainer screw has been snapped off in the hub for close to a decade. I've just dealt with it.

I've never been so annoyed....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That's not a failure: Sometimes the break clearance it tight enough to do that if you haven't taken good care of the pistons.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That looks like a really good way to break a stubborn rotor free from the hub on a vehicle with wheel bolts

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I guess it's a good demonstration of Automatic Transmission drag torque, where even when the trans is in neutral and the clutch packs aren't applied whirling the fluid around still makes things rotate when there isn't any load.

PDF that explains what I mean here:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/trol/11/2/11_121/_pdf

I have a fascination with Automatics because I have a particular skill at breaking them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some manuals will do the same thing.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I misplaced some important things on the highway. It really made my day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DocCynical posted:

I misplaced some important things on the highway. It really made my day.

gently caress that's a rough day at the office. Everyone ok?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Memento posted:

gently caress that's a rough day at the office. Everyone ok?

Yeah, there was no one by me when the wheels flew off and I was able to safely pull over. My boss was surprised to say the least.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wargames posted:

Drunk drivers are a failure right?

https://i.imgur.com/2293BE7.mp4

Am I the only one that heard YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAWWWW in my head as it was flying through the air?

The General Lee would have kept going :colbert:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Am I the only one that heard YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAWWWW in my head as it was flying through the air?

The General Lee would have kept going :colbert:

http://www.portal2sounds.com/2525#q=whee

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol, is there a way to put that with the video each time the car goes in the air?

I'm not good at computers :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

STR posted:

My motorcycle does it in neutral on the center stand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol, is there a way to put that with the video each time the car goes in the air?

I'm not good at computers :(

https://imgur.com/iabQZEB

not sure how to embed so you can turn on the audio though because reasons

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

I'm laughing way too hard at this :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

This is so much better than I even thought it was going to be.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

STR posted:

thick, cold transmission fluid dragging on the gears :v:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

xzzy posted:

:five:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

That's great!
Even if you embed, the audio never seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darchangel posted:

That's great!
Even if you embed, the audio never seems to work.

SA's gifv embedding is.. suboptimal. Lowtax probably needs to run another fundraiser to fix it.