Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Which is why I didn't recommend them, get the 58x instead.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying the 58x but from what the internet tells me, they're not far off from the 6xx which are my favorite headphones for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I haven't had the pleasure of trying the 58x but from what the internet tells me, they're not far off from the 6xx which are my favorite headphones for the money.

Not quite the comparison you're looking for but I have 58X and 600s. They're quite different apart from fit & comfort but I also can't recommend one over the other specifically.

All sidegrade territory though. If you have 58X, 600, 650 etc you can choose to explore midrange "hell" (its actually very fun) or go kilobuck range for your LCD-X, Ananda, exotic woodies, etc.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DancingShade posted:

[...]you can choose to explore midrange "hell" (its actually very fun) or go kilobuck range for your LCD-X, Ananda, exotic woodies, etc.

Or be a loving idiot like me and do both :cry:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DancingShade posted:

Not quite the comparison you're looking for but I have 58X and 600s. They're quite different apart from fit & comfort but I also can't recommend one over the other specifically.

I'm curious how you'd compare them. I don't own 58x but a friend does, and I find them just the slightest bit more sibilant and looser in the bass than my original HD580s, but not so much you'd get upset about it. They still had that perfect, up-front midrange that the line is famous for.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm curious how you'd compare them. I don't own 58x but a friend does, and I find them just the slightest bit more sibilant and looser in the bass than my original HD580s, but not so much you'd get upset about it. They still had that perfect, up-front midrange that the line is famous for.

HD600 has the better midrange and treble. 58X Jubilee has the better soundstage & sub-bass extension.

Most people will probably buy the 58X because there is no way the HD600 is value for money in the modern headphone market.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 19, 2020

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
so my ATH-M50s finally broke after 6ishs years of being packed and carried around

i haven't kept up with anything headphone related in a while, whats a good durable all-rounder in the $200 range?

it'll mostly be just desktop use with video games/music but i also want to be able to shove it in a bag without worrying too much

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Goast posted:

so my ATH-M50s finally broke after 6ishs years of being packed and carried around

i haven't kept up with anything headphone related in a while, whats a good durable all-rounder in the $200 range?

it'll mostly be just desktop use with video games/music but i also want to be able to shove it in a bag without worrying too much

Think the ATH-M50X is still the go-to for that category.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Yamaha EPH-200 is a really good IEM. If I was forced to only keep IEM out of my current collection, it just might be this one. Prices are kind of all over the place, but I got a new one from a Japanese seller on eBay for $130.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Interesting read a couple of pages back that Shure 425s are known for crappy bass. I thought I had a duff pair, I have to turn the bass way up and it's a hassle having to switch EQ all the time. They end up staying in the case.

I ordered some B&W PX7s, hopefully they aren't terrible as well? They are reviewed well... but so are the 425s

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trem_two posted:

Chinese aliexpress sellers are getting hit really hard now due to coronavirus. I'd expect delays if ordering from them right now.

My T4s I ordered back in January or December were finally shipped; they were delayed a long time before of the epidemic.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Augh, my M50x's are on the fritz after serving 5 long years of wear and tear. Looking at the thread I think I'll just get a new pair since they are still recommended.

UPDATE: Hahahah I'm a moron, I didn't initially check the cable that connects to the headphones. Bought a $15 replacement and it works perfectly. I just saved myself $125.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 23, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

I ordered some B&W PX7s, hopefully they aren't terrible as well? They are reviewed well... but so are the 425s

PX7s arrived and from an initial listen are awesome.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I got a Vali 2 to replace my Magni and see if I like tube amps. I like it 100x more with my HD650s.

Is that a fair comparison for telling generally how tube amps sound compared to solid state amps?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So I got a Vali 2 to replace my Magni and see if I like tube amps. I like it 100x more with my HD650s.

Is that a fair comparison for telling generally how tube amps sound compared to solid state amps?

Isn't the Vali2 just a tube preamp and solid state amp?
I would say no, but you'll get to hear how much distortion a tube introduces I suppose :shrug:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I picked up some perf leather ZMF Auteur pads and put them on my 4xx. They went from "i can wear this for around an hour before I start to adjust things" to "I forgot I was wearing headphones with the volume turned up and my email alert sound nearly made my poo poo my pants"

Do I recommend $70 pads for a pair of $130 headphones?

Yes? I went through a ton of cheaper options, and these are the pads that should have come with these headphones. At $200, they're still an insane bargain.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got and sold the Theiaudio Voyager 14 iems. Really nice but not my thing. Too much detail for someone that likes more meaty sound.

I can say without a doubt the Shuoer EJ07 with 10mm DD, 2BA , and 4EST drivers is HOLY CRAP good. It absolutely blew my mind.
850 bux is cheap for an endgame like this

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I got and sold the Theiaudio Voyager 14 iems. Really nice but not my thing. Too much detail for someone that likes more meaty sound.

I can say without a doubt the Shuoer EJ07 with 10mm DD, 2BA , and 4EST drivers is HOLY CRAP good. It absolutely blew my mind.
850 bux is cheap for an endgame like this

I had considered picking up the EJ07 after your praise and some other positive reports I saw, but I just won an eBay auction on an Xelento, so that'll be my big purchase for a little while.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Had my Skullcandy Sesh wireless earbuds stolen at work, so I need some new wireless buds and was wondering what is good. I would love some with roughly 8 hours battery life.

Budget- $50 to $80
source - Samsung Galaxy S10
Preferred type of earbud- Skullcandy fits well in my ear and I am unsure what that type of bud is called.
Tonal Balance - Balanced. I mainly listen to podcasts
Past Headphones - various wired earbuds, but mainly skullcandy wired and the skullcandy sesh wireless
What I listen to- just podcasts

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I had considered picking up the EJ07 after your praise and some other positive reports I saw, but I just won an eBay auction on an Xelento, so that'll be my big purchase for a little while.

To put it mildly the EJ07 chrushes anything with BAs in it for the high end. It is amazingly refined and yet pulls detail that isn't unnatural. The Mids ARE DF Etymotic, bang on. It's like a funner Etymotic matter of fact. Did I mention the bass is endgame blow your mind level? It is.

I've told a few folks my opinion and they bought the EJ07 and promptly poo poo their pants. No joke.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 26, 2020

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So I've had my LCD-i3 for four days now, and FUUUUUUUCK they're good. I've had the iSine 10 for some time and love it, so wanted to upgrade because I'm an idiot. I almost got an iSine 20 a couple months ago, glad I waited. The only downside is the gap between using them wired and via bluetooth is a lot larger than on the 10s. I mostly used the 10s with the bluetooth cable, but the i3 is so so so much better with the lightning one I'm gonna have to go tethered. So sad.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I’ve never had any in ear headphones. I want to get a set for a flight I’m taking soon, and then for daily music listening on lunch break. I’ve been reading a lot of reviews and information overload, overload. I’m only looking at wired models so I don’t have to worry about charging and pairing.

I’ve set my sights on the RHA T20 for $150. Based on what I’ve read these seem like a solid performer at their price. Anyone have experience with these? Or know of a better choice at that price point?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I feel like I've done this 3-4 times now, lost damaged my cheap $10-$15 Panasonic earbuds and think "now maybe I'll get something a little better" and get completely overwhelmed... then re-order another pair of the cheap Panasonic earbuds. Well I've lost another pair of earbuds.

Primary use is for working out, looking for something that will remain comfortable and in place for eliptical/treadmill use. I've never owned any IEM's, do those stay in place while running and whatnot? I've got a FiiO X5 that I use for music, so something without the phone bullshit would also be nice. ( I've got some Sony MDRV6's for gaming/music non-working out use. )

As for budget, since it's primarily for working out the cheaper the better. I'm looking for something better than the earbuds, but not trying to replace my Sony MDRV6 monitor headphones since I just bought those.

Anyone have thoughts on these for a first pair of IEM's? https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-O...customerReviews

I think I saw someone mention these a few pages ago, would probably be the top end of my budget: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Ergonomic-Resistant-Headphones-SE-CH5T/dp/B06XFWVC5F/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Pioneer+CH5T&qid=1582756696&sr=8-1

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think the defacto recommendation for wired iems are the BLON 03 these days. Sound quality is pretty amazing for $30 and build quality seems solid. I don't stay on top of iems all that much though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Blon BL-03: Ludicrously good for the price. Few will tell you otherwise. The problem is the fit and the cable. Be prepared to fiddle a bit and get used to them, but it's a small cross to bear.

Tin T2: I like them better as an overall package, though they don't match the groin wobbling sub bass of the BLON. Much nicer packaging, really nice cable, you can wear them with the cable up or down.

The prices seem to fluctuate but both are between 30 and 50. Less if you want to wait for the slow boat from china.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just got the blon bl-03 after suggestions here. I got a Bluetooth cable for them at the same time and I'm really really happy. Excellent value!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've never had an issue with the cable on the BL03. I mean, it's cheap and plasticky, but it's not uncomfortable or impractical in any way, and the over ear fit is just fine :shrug:

Had to try on four pairs of the included tips before I found a pair that gave a good seal even when yawning or stretching my jaw.

Don't panic about what people are saying about cables and tips. Just enjoy them.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Any recommendations for headphones in ~1000 - 1500 USD/EUR price bracket? I'm thinking of upgrading from Sennheiser 650's which I have had for about five years now.

Strictly home use with Marantz HD-DAC1, no preference open or closed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/27/fcc-approves-rumored-powerbeats-4-earphones

Oh, come on, I just picked up a PowerBeats Pro thinking they weren't gonna do anything more with the PBs after that

I wanted a new PB because my old PB3 had a fraying cable, the casing for the in-wire controls disintegrated leaving me with having to press hard down on two goddamn sharp metal nubs to change volume/tracks, and the original ear things were tearing and cracking, but it still played muzak..

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Sorbus posted:

Any recommendations for headphones in ~1000 - 1500 USD/EUR price bracket? I'm thinking of upgrading from Sennheiser 650's which I have had for about five years now.

I'd probably get LCD-2/2C/3/X try them out and see which you like best if at all possible. I really loving like Audeze sound, I own three of their headphones. ZMF Aeolus is also a very nice looking option, but I haven't tried them myself, I'd love to. Hifiman Arya are another option in the same price range as the LCD for planars, and EXTREMELY NICE, but I prefer Audeze myself. Spending this kind of money it's really best if you can test poo poo out, altho I've bought ~$1K headphones without a test-drive so lol.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/27/fcc-approves-rumored-powerbeats-4-earphones

Oh, come on, I just picked up a PowerBeats Pro thinking they weren't gonna do anything more with the PBs after that

I wanted a new PB because my old PB3 had a fraying cable, the casing for the in-wire controls disintegrated leaving me with having to press hard down on two goddamn sharp metal nubs to change volume/tracks, and the original ear things were tearing and cracking, but it still played muzak..

Pro’s prob better anyway

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ddogflex posted:

I'd probably get LCD-2/2C/3/X try them out and see which you like best if at all possible. I really loving like Audeze sound, I own three of their headphones. ZMF Aeolus is also a very nice looking option, but I haven't tried them myself, I'd love to. Hifiman Arya are another option in the same price range as the LCD for planars, and EXTREMELY NICE, but I prefer Audeze myself. Spending this kind of money it's really best if you can test poo poo out, altho I've bought ~$1K headphones without a test-drive so lol.

I owned the LCD-XC and also the EL-8 when they made them. They definitely have a warmer sound which matches the 650 but with more detail.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Modus Man posted:

I’ve never had any in ear headphones. I want to get a set for a flight I’m taking soon, and then for daily music listening on lunch break. I’ve been reading a lot of reviews and information overload, overload. I’m only looking at wired models so I don’t have to worry about charging and pairing.

I’ve set my sights on the RHA T20 for $150. Based on what I’ve read these seem like a solid performer at their price. Anyone have experience with these? Or know of a better choice at that price point?

ItBreathes posted:

I think the defacto recommendation for wired iems are the BLON 03

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Blon BL-03: Ludicrously good for the price.

Sextro posted:

...blon bl-03 ...really happy. Excellent value!

evobatman posted:

...BL03. Just enjoy them.

That’s enough to convince me to save $110 and try the BL-03 first. I should have them tomorrow, thanks!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

ddogflex posted:

I actually borrowed LCD2-C for home listening some time ago. Sounded nice but they were a bit too heavy for my liking. I am going to test hd800s this weekend, also focal clear is on my list.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Sorbus posted:

I actually borrowed LCD2-C for home listening some time ago. Sounded nice but they were a bit too heavy for my liking. I am going to test hd800s this weekend, also focal clear is on my list.

Yeah, that's fair. It doesn't bother me, but I also don't see why they only have hyper expensive, or the new gaming ones, with a magnesium chassis.

Those you listed are both good options, just not my cup of tea.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sorbus posted:

I have a set of Focal Clears and they are loving amazing. Incredibly comfortable, sound amazing with 0 fatigue, and they’re even easy to drive. These are 100% endgame for me. Highly recommend giving them a shot if you’re looking at that price bracket.

No isolation at all though, either direction. You can clearly hear what’s being listened to if you’re in the same room, even at pretty low volume.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Blon I bought the B8 full sized headphones recently ($70 USD) https://www.linsoul.com/collections/headphones-iems/products/blon-b8 so thought I'd post impressions.

Build quality is up there - real wood, metal etc. Good fit & finish. Stock pads are a bit small for my ear size - would describe as Audio-Technica M50 or MSR7 style and comparable quality. For me it's a width issue (narrow) rather than height or depth. After the initial listen I swapped on some spare Brainwavz HM5 sheepskin pads (which fit well enough) and they didn't seem to adversely affect the sound. ZMF ovals should fit too but I haven't bothered to get mine out yet.

Zeos has a sound demo for these headphones under the Sivga branding (model 006) if curious.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yYU4jkLCQ

They don't come in a box by the way. There isn't one. You get the headphones & cable in a hard carry case wrapped in bubble wrap inside the postal bag.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
And they sound...?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

And they sound...?

They sound fine. I thought I'd post the sound demo link rather than "yeah they're like every other pair of good sounding headphones".

Bass? Yes. Sound stage? Yes. Imaging? Yes. Treble? That's okay too. No notable flaws which is probably the best thing I can say about anything I listen to.

Won't knock your socks off if you're used to fancy Fostex / Final Audio / Kennerton / whatever but for the price who cares. Enjoyable.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 28, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any non-Apple wireless (by which I mean detached from each other) IEMs which will easily accept an aftermarket or OEM-but-optional over-ear hook?

I have a really weird right ear canal which prevents most earbuds/ear plugs/etc from inserting properly, or once inserted from staying firmly attached. My current pair of Anker Soundbuds Curve solve this problem really well because the over-ear hook keeps everything in place, but 1) they're dying, and 2) I'd love to ditch the cable if possible.

I know it's difficult to get earbuds which charge in a case AND a large ear hook in one package, and true enough I can't find anything that would fit the bill, but I'm curious to see if there's just something I'm missing.

I'm not married to over-the-ear hooks -- I suppose that a hook which attaches using the inner contours of your ear would work too, I've just never tried one before. I'm not sure what these are called other than I've also seen them referred to as hooks.

I love my Ankers right now, I'm no audiophile so I doubt I'd get value out of a really expensive set of anything for the sake of audio quality so unless it's real poo poo I'd love to stay under a hundred Canadian, maybe push it up to one-fifty. So my only real requirements are that they can take an ear hook, can charge from a case, and are wireless.

If I can't find anything suitable I'll probably just get another pair of Soundbuds Curve and grudgingly live with the cable.

For reference, I've been eyeing the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air and Life models. I'd like to stay away from anything with super big bulky parts that stick out such as Liberty Neo since I suspect that would only worsen the "poo poo falls out of my ears easily" problem.

e: Something like this would be cool, but maybe from a more reputable manuf? https://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-Canceling-Earphones/dp/B0836ST7WY

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How's a sound demo supposed to work when you're listening to it through a different speaker?