Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Mors Rattus posted:

Correct. Reading through the Rashi and then yelling about it on Twitter's a hobby of mine.

I mean what is exegesis but a F&F of a religious text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

WrenP-Complete posted:

Amazing, link please.

https://twitter.com/MorsRattus

My read is currently in the middle of Leviticus/Vayikra, and is of the English translation because while I can still kiiiinda read Hebrew phonetics, even when I was in Hebrew school I was poo poo at learning it as a language rather than an alphabet.

e: also fair warning, the bit I've got up to right now is about fluid discharges from the dong and their relation to spiritual cleanliness. It's kinda gross!

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 19, 2020

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
And the bit before it was about lesions and skin conditions on stones. I've been following mors' thread on this since he began it and I'm learning tons of new math tricks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MollyMetroid posted:

And the bit before it was about lesions and skin conditions on stones. I've been following mors' thread on this since he began it and I'm learning tons of new math tricks.

Stones, leather, cloth, people...

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
EDIT: Weird loving double post. I dunno how that happened.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 20, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
drat that's an impressive lag time for a double post

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mors Rattus posted:

I can still kiiiinda read Hebrew phonetics, even when I was in Hebrew school I was poo poo at learning it as a language rather than an alphabet.

I can say "Shiri eats Danny's kippah" and that's about it. I know random words but man, none of it stuck more than about a month.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bruceski posted:

I can say "Shiri eats Danny's kippah" and that's about it. I know random words but man, none of it stuck more than about a month.

Yeah. I never learned wording meanings much, and while I was able to daven both a parsha and haftorah for my Bar Mitzvah I can no longer remember how to read the special notation for singing, and indeed forgot it pretty much a month after turning 13.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Serf posted:

back when i was still on facebook, you'd see posts with this exact sort of structure and argument. i'm not sure how to describe it, but it is awfully common

Trying to convince others that you're a good person by Gish Galloping and hoping that their eyes will glaze over and get all tummyfeels over the nice-sounding parts. But at the same time it's quite clear that Bledsaw doesn't want to alienate his white supremacist social circles he's clearly been nearly exclusively hanging around, so he inserts various dog-whistles among the ramblings to show that he's still totally on their side.

Additionally a lot of right-wingers often use anecdotal evidence when empiricism isn't on their side. What with the "I'm totes a Libertarian guyz" it plays into the rhetoric that individual behavior over systemic issues and policy is what people should focus on. Although in his case, his individual behavior is also pretty abhorrent.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 19, 2020

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MollyMetroid posted:

Nice. I've jumped into the conversation on Twitter too. :birdthunk:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah. I never learned wording meanings much, and while I was able to daven both a parsha and haftorah for my Bar Mitzvah I can no longer remember how to read the special notation for singing, and indeed forgot it pretty much a month after turning 13.

I still remember the melodies, but not which ones go with which symbols. It did lead to some interesting stuff in college though; as... call it a hazing ritual or a shibboleth, the first day of Humanities involved learning the first line of the Iliad in ancient Greek. Since it was oral tradition back then it's chanted in a very similar way to the Torah, and when I came back home for the summer I passed a recording along to my Rabbi to research if it was influenced or convergent development. No clue if anything ever came of it, but it's neat to hear something in one context and see how it fits into larger ideas.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I still remember the melodies, but not which ones go with which symbols. It did lead to some interesting stuff in college though; as... call it a hazing ritual or a shibboleth, the first day of Humanities involved learning the first line of the Iliad in ancient Greek. Since it was oral tradition back then it's chanted in a very similar way to the Torah, and when I came back home for the summer I passed a recording along to my Rabbi to research if it was influenced or convergent development. No clue if anything ever came of it, but it's neat to hear something in one context and see how it fits into larger ideas.

That's cool. Our rabbi gave a talk two weeks go about how the ancient melodies of chanting the Torah influenced/became the melodies of learning which influenced the melodies of Jewish music writ large. It's not my area at all but it's very cool to hear how things have changed and stayed the same.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's probably a paper in the origin of the "Cherokee blood" thing, although I expect the roots are either "I show signs of African-American ancestry but do not wish to be considered one" or, potentially, "my grandparents claimed Cherokee ancestry for that reason, and I took them at their word."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nessus posted:

There's probably a paper in the origin of the "Cherokee blood" thing, although I expect the roots are either "I show signs of African-American ancestry but do not wish to be considered one" or, potentially, "my grandparents claimed Cherokee ancestry for that reason, and I took them at their word."

This is primarily the case as most cases of people claiming Cherokee ancestry have no Native ancestry. You'd be surprised what genetic testing has been uncovering!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A lot of garbage white people in the midwest and plains states like to claim they are 1/47th Cherokee or whatever because 1) it gives them an "I can't be racist, why I'm part-Cherokee myself!" card to play, and 2) it adds a touch (but only a touch) of exoticness to their otherwise undistinguished ancestry and bloodline.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Nessus posted:

here's a good primer on it.

Protip for aspiring genealogists: if someone says they're descended from an 'Indian Princess', chances are near 100% they're mistaken.

e: it's probably important to note that claiming Native ancestry isn't solely the domain of white people

Leraika fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 20, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leraika posted:

here's a good primer on it.

Protip for aspiring genealogists: if someone says they're descended from an 'Indian Princess', chances are near 100% they're mistaken.

e: it's probably important to note that claiming Native ancestry isn't solely the domain of white people

Another path to false tribal heritage is having an ancestor who was friends with or bribed a government agent to name them as a tribe member for purposes of land allotment.
So your great-great-grandfather Angus MacButt gets a plot of land in Oklahoma because he's totally Cherokee according to Indian agent James MacButt who happens to be his cousin.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Being 'part-Indian' also lets you off the hook for colonial oppression and soothes the white guilt.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

https://twitter.com/MorsRattus

My read is currently in the middle of Leviticus/Vayikra, and is of the English translation because while I can still kiiiinda read Hebrew phonetics, even when I was in Hebrew school I was poo poo at learning it as a language rather than an alphabet.

e: also fair warning, the bit I've got up to right now is about fluid discharges from the dong and their relation to spiritual cleanliness. It's kinda gross!

I honestly hate Twitter for this sort of thing because it's tedious pain to try and find the start of it. You should post it in A/T or something because I'm sure there's some Goons who'd love to talk about this stuff at length.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
That would involve talking at length to goons.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Xelkelvos posted:

I honestly hate Twitter for this sort of thing because it's tedious pain to try and find the start of it. You should post it in A/T or something because I'm sure there's some Goons who'd love to talk about this stuff at length.

Yeah, I'm...not particularly interested in that audience. The hashtag should provide some help in finding the start of stuff, though it'll still be hard at this point because of how far in I am.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I've been doing some analysis of the top sellers over at itch, and I've summed up my findings here:

https://twitter.com/meinberg13/status/1232823445215469570?s=20

The tl;dr is that the itch audience is queer-friendly and that people who have followings from outside of the TTRPG tend to dominate the charts when they dip their toes in.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Meinberg posted:

I've been doing some analysis of the top sellers over at itch, and I've summed up my findings here:

https://twitter.com/meinberg13/status/1232823445215469570?s=20

The tl;dr is that the itch audience is queer-friendly and that people who have followings from outside of the TTRPG tend to dominate the charts when they dip their toes in.

“Physical games” is the category all ttrpgs fall into, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Given how small the TTRPG pond is, really, I'm not at all surprised that Itch's most successful TTRPG creators are folks who have a following elsewhere they can bring to the pond with them.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

“Physical games” is the category all ttrpgs fall into, right?

It's their category for all analog games. Fluff Shuffled, for instance, is a card game. TTRPGs definitely fall under its umbrella though.

Mors Rattus posted:

Given how small the TTRPG pond is, really, I'm not at all surprised that Itch's most successful TTRPG creators are folks who have a following elsewhere they can bring to the pond with them.

You're not wrong, but it is a little disheartening to see that the best way to have major success in the industry is to have moderate success elsewhere.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Meinberg posted:

You're not wrong, but it is a little disheartening to see that the best way to have major success in the industry is to have moderate success elsewhere.

I mean isn’t this true for almost every niche creative industry?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

whydirt posted:

I mean isn’t this true for almost every niche creative industry?

I feel like poetry is mostly made by poets, and while guest actors from tv and film buoy the professional theater world, most plays are written and directed by theater folks.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Meinberg posted:

I feel like poetry is mostly made by poets, and while guest actors from tv and film buoy the professional theater world, most plays are written and directed by theater folks.

Having even a relatively minor TV star in your stage show gets you a ton of press and sales (see eg Harry Potter in Equus).

Most poetry is made by poets but pretty sure that if a best selling musician released a book of poetry it’d sell better than the vast majority of poets’ work.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Meinberg posted:

Most RPGs are written by people on the inside, just like stage. But the Tonies go to Bryan Cranston and Annette Benning. The best way to be the best at theater is to be good at something else. I couldn't find a bestselling 2019 poetry list, but Jon Lithgow seems to be doing pretty well there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well good, it's time we brought a Lectroid perspective to poetry.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Kalman posted:

Having even a relatively minor TV star in your stage show gets you a ton of press and sales (see eg Harry Potter in Equus).

Most poetry is made by poets but pretty sure that if a best selling musician released a book of poetry it’d sell better than the vast majority of poets’ work.

I remember looking at the sales numbers when Jewel released her book of poetry. If you separated it's numbers from the rest of the poetry/theater section, it out sold the entire section by something like 10 to 1.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

It seems mediation has failed and Zac Smith's lawsuit against Mandy Morbid is moving forward, and she's getting low on funds.

Mandy Morbid posted:

Hi everyone,
So Zak and I have been working to settle this lawsuit for the past 8 weeks but Zak has decided that he wants to move ahead with the litigation.
I have paid my lawyer and the mediator for all costs up to this point with the money that has been raised but with the lawsuit ongoing will need more financial help.
Please share this fundraiser or donate what you can.
Thank you so much for everything so far.
Mandy <3

You can find the gofundme here.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Falstaff posted:

It seems mediation has failed and Zac Smith's lawsuit against Mandy Morbid is moving forward, and she's getting low on funds.

Woah you mean the rapist harasser isn't actually interested in mediation, I am very surprised by this.

:10bux: for her is a decent middle finger to that fucker for now I guess

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm honestly surprised mediation lasted eight weeks.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I'm not, it's one more way to psychologically gently caress with her and drain her cash fruitlessly.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm honestly surprised mediation lasted eight weeks.

I'm surprised it didn't last longer. He found a way to legally force her into a room with him where he could whine for hours about how mean she's being.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

theironjef posted:

I'm surprised it didn't last longer. He found a way to legally force her into a room with him where he could whine for hours about how mean she's being.

And it cost her money, so yeah he def dragged it on as much as he could

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

theironjef posted:

Mediation is probably being handled by their respective lawyers. It's not impossible they wound up in a room together, but if she didn't want to, she could certainly have her lawyer do it. And by email or letter or whatever. And it was probably more of settlement talks around how zac thinks a fair settlement would be mandy giving him a bunch of money and making a public statement retracting her entire story, and mandy's lawyer says "lol gently caress off, no."

I am not a lawyer and am just making an educated guess here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It feels weird that the US is the place where defamation is actually hard to prove, but apparently in Canada it's weighted towards the defendant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It feels weird that the US is the place where defamation is actually hard to prove, but apparently in Canada it's weighted towards the defendant.

Towards the plaintiff, by a lot - Canada is one of the most plaintiff-friendly jurisdictions in the world when it comes to defamation. (The UK is as well.)