Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

change my name posted:

Convinced my irl group to move over to Discord and have started consolidating all of the potential quests/session summaries there, it’s so much cleaner and more accessible now. Highly recommend

I've done the same and it's a game changer for sure. This did become I meme with my group when most of my answers to questions are "check what I posted in the Discord".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

change my name posted:

Convinced my irl group to move over to Discord and have started consolidating all of the potential quests/session summaries there, it’s so much cleaner and more accessible now. Highly recommend

I'm a big fan of it for letting people do their more soloish downtime activities (that most campaigns just neglect).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glagha posted:

People who say 5e is the worst the game has ever been cleary have never played 3.x because holy poo poo.
5e is far from the worst edition mechanically, and there's a lot of good to say about it. Proficiency is a solid iterative upgrade over 3.Xs skill points -> 4e's trained + half level, same for archetypes over prestige classes/4e's paths, backgrounds are v. good.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Splicer posted:

5e is far from the worst edition mechanically, and there's a lot of good to say about it. Proficiency is a solid iterative upgrade over 3.Xs skill points -> 4e's trained + half level, same for archetypes over prestige classes/4e's paths, backgrounds are v. good.

Proficiency, tiered advancement, banded accuracy, advantage/disadvantage, subclasses, there's a lot to like about 5e. It could be better if they had taken more inspiration from 4e, but it's far from terrible.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah 5e is honestly ok. I'm just wondering what could have been if they had iterated on 4e instead of taking a hard left away from it. (I miss you Warlord)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Proficiency, tiered advancement, banded accuracy, advantage/disadvantage, subclasses, there's a lot to like about 5e. It could be better if they had taken more inspiration from 4e, but it's far from terrible.

Yeah, frankly a 5E with the structure and balancing of 4E sounds ideal to me.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Tried to knock one of my players off a very much mobile airship during a manticore attack last session. Used all 3 multiattack actions as shoves, rolled a nat 2, 1, 2. Strongly considered fudging it for The Drama but since he would have survived anyway I opted to just play up cursing fate for laughs.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Toshimo posted:

I'm a big fan of it for letting people do their more soloish downtime activities (that most campaigns just neglect).

I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

change my name posted:

I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive?

Wut?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh sorry, I read that as “centralizing in Discord isn’t good for people doing solo stuff”

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

change my name posted:

Care to share how you've got the discord organized? I'd like to convince my group to ditch facebook for that if I could so I can finally delete my account there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Toshimo posted:

Ok, since we don't need to do this dance all over again, let's find something better to discuss.

Like maybe what are some cool fun things you can do with a Dreams Druid, the chillest of all druids.

My next character is probably going to be a Dream Druid or a Land Druid, so I need some ideas too.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Splicer posted:

One big thing I feel is missing from the proficiency model is the near-inability to pick up more of them as you level. You definitely feel it more on certain classes(aka martials) but I'd still love to see a solution.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s very difficult to find 4e Stans. Cool

4E was and still is very popular around these parts. Nobody would call it a perfect game, but the general (and correct) consensus around here was that it was the best mechanically designed and balanced version of the game yet.

SettingSun posted:

Yeah 5e is honestly ok. I'm just wondering what could have been if they had iterated on 4e instead of taking a hard left away from it. (I miss you Warlord)

I really love 5E. It's not nearly as well put together as 4E, but it does a better job of scratching my "I want this to feel like the AD&D we played in middle school" itch.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Horizon Walker Hunter seems to be the one to go with if you want to Hunter.

Misty Step, Haste, Banishment, Etherealness. The extra damage dice. 10 foot free teleport per attack with a free 3rd attack, and a damage reducing reaction.

It's not awful. Crazy movement makes battles fun for you as you blink all over the drat map shooting things.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, 4e is still the best designed D&D edition, though I think PF2e is coming close.

5e is fine. But it doesn't engage me in anywhere near the same way 4e does; it's simply nowhere near as strong a small-squad tactical minis game, and the character building is kind of dull, so I'm playing it more to play an RPG with good friends and enjoy the DM's worldbuilding and figure out the metaphysics of their world, than because I like the mechanical game.

I'd enjoy the game just as much if it was run in Dungeon World or Pathfinder or Strike! or 4e or any of a dozen other swords and sorcery systems, and unlike 4e I just don't have fun building characters outside the game. That used to engage me a lot, and 5e just doesn't have the same thing for me, because other than spells, there just plain isn't much to choose per level (and the spells are shared between classes, so picking the best spells isn't much of a different experience between them, absent some just not being options). You choose most of your options by level 5, ASIs/feats aside, and ASIs are rarely not the right choice, and the ones you choose later, you've usually already seen that list of options before and picked the best one so meh.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

One big superpower the system has is it rarely gets in your way. There's a lot of times it's lacking, but at the end of the day the generic resolution mechanic of d20+attribute+prof with advantage or disadvantage frees up so much bullshit that make 4e ,3e, and Pathfinder a pain and a half to play if you don't have robotic knowledge of the rules.

Yeah it can be (accurately) said that that just turns the game into "loving Wing It" the RPG, but as someone who works 50 hours a week and still wants to be a DM it's very nice to be able to get my mercer-esque RP-and-Dice kick while not having to scour through five hundred GURPS books or keep ahead of the 20 new Paizo supplements each year with additional rules and magic items and character feats that may interact with eachother in stupid ways. Being able to sidle up to the table with my stat blocks and my maps and not have to spend the whole session with my nose in twenty PDFs is a really huge boon for the system that 3.5, PF, 4, and a lot of other systems lack.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fumbles posted:

One big superpower the system has is it rarely gets in your way. There's a lot of times it's lacking, but at the end of the day the generic resolution mechanic of d20+attribute+prof with advantage or disadvantage frees up so much bullshit that make 4e ,3e, and Pathfinder a pain and a half to play if you don't have robotic knowledge of the rules.

Yeah it can be (accurately) said that that just turns the game into "loving Wing It" the RPG, but as someone who works 50 hours a week and still wants to be a DM it's very nice to be able to get my mercer-esque RP-and-Dice kick while not having to scour through five hundred GURPS books or keep ahead of the 20 new Paizo supplements each year with additional rules and magic items and character feats that may interact with eachother in stupid ways. Being able to sidle up to the table with my stat blocks and my maps and not have to spend the whole session with my nose in twenty PDFs is a really huge boon for the system that 3.5, PF, 4, and a lot of other systems lack.

You need to try Pathfinder 2e, my friend. Read the core rulebook once and then it is buttery loving smooth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fumbles posted:

This is baffling. Do you think 3.x/4e used poker as a resolution system or something?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Toshimo posted:

Ok, since we don't need to do this dance all over again, let's find something better to discuss.

Like maybe what are some cool fun things you can do with a Dreams Druid, the chillest of all druids.

"Alternatively, you can use your action to teleport one willing creature you touch up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see."

Oh, the Barbarian cant get up to all those archers on the balcony you say?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What is pathfinder 2e like, in general? I liked pathfinder(1e) back in the day a decade or so ago, though I didn't play it all that much.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ArchRanger posted:

Care to share how you've got the discord organized? I'd like to convince my group to ditch facebook for that if I could so I can finally delete my account there.

- Main chat channel for memes etc,
- Chat channel for in-game stuff
- Resources channel with pinned links to the filez site, google drive stuff, etc
- Session notes channel where recap stuff is posted
- Ongoing quests/story stuff to pursue, pinned and can be edited and updated as needed

It’s also good if you need to do secret DM-player conversations with stuff that can be referenced later.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Unironically love a subclass that gives me a Healing Word alternative that let's me keep casting. And that's a starting ability!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

thespaceinvader posted:

5e is fine. But it doesn't engage me in anywhere near the same way 4e does; it's simply nowhere near as strong a small-squad tactical minis game

Fumbles posted:

Yeah it can be (accurately) said that that just turns the game into "loving Wing It" the RPG,

This basically sums up why I think 4E is a better game, but I prefer playing 5E. I'm not really interested in tactical combat. I just wanna have a rules framework for loving off and making up adventure stories with my friends.

Splicer posted:

This is baffling. Do you think 3.x/4e used poker as a resolution system or something?

I think he's probably referring to stacking and tracking modifiers, which I don't remember being that much of a deal in 4E, but it was definitely a big pain in the rear end in 3E.

Butt Discussin posted:

What is pathfinder 2e like, in general? I liked pathfinder(1e) back in the day a decade or so ago, though I didn't play it all that much.

I'd also like to hear more about PF2. I quickly flipped through the playtest rulebook at a BAM a year or two ago, and I remember that it looked like they were moving far away from being houseruled 3.5E, but I don't recall specifics.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I play about 50/50 5E and PF2 at this point, so let that be the backdrop of what I'm about to say:

I'll do a write-up of "Newbies Guide to PF2 (Especially for 5E Players)", but I'll just post it in the PF thread and link it here, because (a) They could use the traffic and (b) It's more appropriate there, a d I'd hope that anyone else would do the same.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Splicer posted:

Grappling Rules. Pushing. Bull Rushing. Overrunning (which is somehow DIFFERENT from Bullrushing). Sundering. Monsters with PC levels. Multiple skills having complex resolution mechanics, skill ranks, class skill bonuses, the ten million floating +1s and +2s and -4s, and let's not even get started on 4es eternally evolving digital errata and every action being a unique "move". They're more robust systems, this I'll never argue, but you need to have systemic mastery or the game grinds the moment someone tries to do something besides basic attacking. With 5e I can let people slot in nearly any homebrew and it's effortless to understand it and make it work with the core mechanics without being scared if the +X from Y breaks the game. I'm not even going to get into how much easier it is to use a system like Giffyglyph to make custom monsters for 5e over the hellish nightmare that was building a Pathfinder monster past level 3.

I'm not trying to poo poo on the other games or claim 5e is the best but it does have some serious legitimate advantages over more complex and complicated RPGs where math gets ridiculous and everything has to be well-defined and codified into rules.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I play about 50/50 5E and PF2 at this point, so let that be the backdrop of what I'm about to say:

I'll do a write-up of "Newbies Guide to PF2 (Especially for 5E Players)", but I'll just post it in the PF thread and link it here, because (a) They could use the traffic and (b) It's more appropriate there, a d I'd hope that anyone else would do the same.

I still need to post the new thread for that. I'll get to that when my head isn't ringing from bad cold.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Has anyone here used the Humblewood setting and materials for 5e? I met one of the developers but haven’t actually looked at the book. My wife likes nature and druid stuff so I thought it might be a good fit.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have not, but I picked up the book and saw you can apparently be a chicken. I think. I didn't read it that closely.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kaysette posted:

Has anyone here used the Humblewood setting and materials for 5e? I met one of the developers but haven’t actually looked at the book. My wife likes nature and druid stuff so I thought it might be a good fit.

My ex was trying to set up a game that fell apart, but it does look really cool having read through everything. I ended up making a possum (modified Mapach) monk that will hopefully get used one day

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
BG3 looks really loving good.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Toshimo posted:

That would be awesome, I'd love to know more about PF2

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Dexo posted:

BG3 looks really loving good.

I missed the line to get in at PAX East by like 5 people. So annoying!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Booyah- posted:

That would be awesome, I'd love to know more about PF2

Echoing this. If the system is as solid as suggested by Arivia then I would definitely like to try running it soon-ish.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Watching the first twenty minutes of gameplay for Baldurs Gate III. And it looks like his two person party of level 1 characters just got into a fight with, at least, 3 Intellect Devourers. Not sure how much of their ability they were given since I didn't see them jump into the brain of the downed/unconscious character, but not surprisingly the party died.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He missed like 2 90% rolls

It was very funny.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Dexo posted:

He missed like 2 90% rolls

It was very funny.

:xcom:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Baller Ina posted:

One big thing I feel is missing from the proficiency model is the near-inability to pick up more of them as you level. You definitely feel it more on certain classes(aka martials) but I'd still love to see a solution.

The LOTR 5e conversion let you do this kind of thing during downtime, but in that game downtime was a forced, months-long thing everybody did during the winter or whatever. So like your adventure would take up 6-8 months of the year and then folks would return home for the winter and work on cool stuff. You could learn new skill proficiencies, gain titles by visiting peoples you've saved or helped out in some way (that would come with their own benefits), etc. I never got to run it in practice because I only did a one-off and my dudes wanted to do Avernus in regular 5e, but I really want to crib from it at some point.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Baller Ina posted:

You are intended to be able to pick them up with a significant downtime investment and a story award. The bones for it are mentioned in the "Training" section of "Other Rewards" in the DMG, and it's clearly supposed to parallel or mimic the "Training" section of "Between Adventures" in the PHB that lets you get Tool and Language proficiencies. Unfortunately, like the entire Downtime system, it's basically not fleshed out at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

I really like dis/advantage and concentration too. Simple, thematic, well integrated ways of folding up environmental considerations into play/constraining casters.

I will say 5e monsters are very dull as a dm after 13th age/4e, but going back to 1st ed magic items is great.

I've played/dmd every edition and 13th age incl a 4e homebrew campaign, and 4e is really fun but the shift from in to out of combat was never not clunky.