Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

What it's like to stand around revving your actuators while the more advanced units complete the mission?

I am a patient man... But not that patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The level design in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is pretty dire.

Still like it overall, though, and think it's the best of the 3D Castlevanias (of those I've played, which does not include the reboots).

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

The "best" part is when they kiss and just kind of mechanically rub their faces against one another with no expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMxTFqPET5I

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A big problem I'm having with Control is that it doesn't run that well. When too much is going on on screen at once, it can chug on the PS4, and at one point it froze.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

A big problem I'm having with Control is that it doesn't run that well. When too much is going on on screen at once, it can chug on the PS4, and at one point it froze.

Yeah, same. For me it froze immediately after the very final battle of the game, which meant I got to play the big ol' battle all over again, which was...fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Colossus in that way, like what it *wants* to do is sometimes a partial generation ahead of what it *can* do on the base consoles. But I like it enough to not care much.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

That's the downside the really impressive destruction effects. That and they can obscure the action at times and leave you shooting at nothing. I hope they patch in an option to tone those down when the DLCs come out.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I started playing Assassin's Creed: Syndicate since it was free on the Epic store, and it's super fun... except what's dragging it down is that it goes straight into the overarching story with no explanation about that, or why this game advertised as being set in victorian london has modern day stuff. I mean, I've played a few hours of one AC game before so I know that there is some kind of modern day story, but you'd think a recap at the start of the game would be helpful, given not everyone will have played all seven or whatever previous games in the series.

I have no idea what a piece of eden is, who these people are in the modern day or why I should care about them. I just want to have carriage chases and run across rooftops!

I'm in the same boat as you. My conclusion is that actually I don't care what a piece of Eden is and I'm glad they didn't make me sit through a ten minute cutscene of them explaining it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Walton Simons posted:

I am a patient man... But not that patient.

Figured Brazilianpeanutwar was your type. A real hard rear end.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Two Point Hospital is basically Theme Hospital, but.

I hate the level of minutiae it seems to expect. Oh, the Ward needs a nurse. Better make sure that nurse has Ward perks, or your patients have a 60% chance to be cured, failing emergencies! You could train a nurse, but you need another nurse with that skill to train the new one for 60 days while your finances skirt bankruptcy because you need twice the staff because of 20 day breaks and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just want to build a tidy machine. I really wish there was a sandbox mode.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Karma Tornado posted:

it gets worse than "this man is cat, cat things are inherently charming, to me, the writer"?

So the main quest for the first chapter is trying to figure out who murdered the town counsellor, Jake. As the chapter goes on it becomes clear that Jake was involved in a demonic cult, human sacrifice, end of days yadda yadda. You find out he was murdered by Icara, the White Witch. Tracking her down is a vague objective for the next chapter - you spend a lot of time uncovering the evil plot from the demonic cult, learning about ancient evils and your destiny as the chosen ones yadda yadda, and how you need Icara to defeat the ancient evil from before the universe or some nonsense.

After travelling half the world, jumping to magical planes and the like you finally track her down in a crystal prison. Your character's first words to her after you free her are "Icara, you're under arrest for the murder of Counsellor Jake!"

It's just....did none of the rest of the plot happen? Why is that your first thought? Jake was a murderous demonic cultist, why do you still give a poo poo? Isn't the impending end of the world kind of more important?

The plot is really simplistic and trite, and the writing doesn't even rise to that level.

(Explodo-skeletons owned, and the biggest thing dragging down OS2 is the lack of explodo-skeletons)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragging down Rune Factory 4 for me is how the L menu is sorted out. There are 4 tabs:

Weapons
Magic
Tools
Others

This is annoying because to switch out your tools for a weapon requires going through 2 tabs. Also in the weapons menu it puts your armor on the left side, instead of the right. So if you were using a tool and now want to equip your weapon you gotta navigate up 2 tabs then hold right past all your armor to get to your weapon.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Seedge posted:

I hate the level of minutiae it seems to expect. Oh, the Ward needs a nurse. Better make sure that nurse has Ward perks, or your patients have a 60% chance to be cured, failing emergencies! You could train a nurse, but you need another nurse with that skill to train the new one for 60 days while your finances skirt bankruptcy because you need twice the staff because of 20 day breaks and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I put down the game after about 5 hospitals because of this exact tedium. I love managent games, but you can't put all this boring nonsense into such a silly game.

My complaint today is that the starter exercises in Ring Fit Adventure get outclassed almost immediately, which would be fine if they weren't representative of doing actual exercise. Why would I ever do 30 reps of punching myself in the dick to deal 20 damage when I could instead gently wave my arms over my head to deal 90? I haven't done a squat in 3 worlds because of this.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You’ll eventually get higher level versions of the early moves that are the same exercise with higher power (and squats specifically has a few variations you’ll get before then) but I definitely remember that stretch at the start where you keep getting moves that are a lot stronger but barely feel like exercise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seedge posted:

loving mood. If you're not micromanaging every single patient queue to get the dying ones in for treatment ASAP you end up with tons of dead patients. It's not even enough to tank your rating, it just means you're not making money efficiently and your hospital value goes down like crazy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

healthcareindustry.txt

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Two Point Hospital was more of a Theme Hospital HD mod than a sequel/update. You can still kick out patients that are about to die so they don't tank your rating, you can send someone that doesn't have a good chance of being cured straight to the clinic because even if they don't get cured or die you still get paid, you can let people go through all the stages of diagnosis only to not have the room with the last treatment and send them out - you miss one big pay for the treatment but still get the money from all the other clinics and its not like you can tell the patients to stop coming to the hospital.

Not that its a bad thing in itself, but of all the stuff to change I wouldn't expect them to mess with what wasn't broken.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

When playing Theme Hospital it was not until the final levels you needed at least 5 GP Offices (the starting point of every patient’s visit).

In Two Point Hospital I felt like that I already needed that many GP Offices by the third level. And it doesn’t help that they made training doctors way more complicated, so now you won’t be staffing those GP Offices with fully trained doctors that diagnose patients really fast.

The game had a free weekend on Steam last year and after 4 hours it had provided enough nostalgia. I realized I would just end up hating the game if I played it longer.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Patients dying en masse is annoying for non-gameplay reasons, but it doesn't really seem to matter all that much. Money just keeps coming.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The Surge 2: I saved a woman from being thrown in a meatgrinder contraption by an insane cannibal, but since the first dialogue choice I picked after that was showing concern instead of 'gimme reward NOW' (did I mention her boyfriend was recently killed and eaten in front of her?), I get nothing and am permanently locked out of a shortcut :thumbsup:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Snake Maze posted:

You’ll eventually get higher level versions of the early moves that are the same exercise with higher power (and squats specifically has a few variations you’ll get before then) but I definitely remember that stretch at the start where you keep getting moves that are a lot stronger but barely feel like exercise.

loving wide squats can go huff a fart, goddamn those things.

But yeah, it is weird that the harder starting stuff (like regular squats) are so much tougher to do than some of the later, stronger stuff, like those knee raises or whatever.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kennel posted:

Patients dying en masse is annoying for non-gameplay reasons, but it doesn't really seem to matter all that much. Money just keeps coming.

:capitalism:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So the main quest for the first chapter is trying to figure out who murdered the town counsellor, Jake. As the chapter goes on it becomes clear that Jake was involved in a demonic cult, human sacrifice, end of days yadda yadda. You find out he was murdered by Icara, the White Witch. Tracking her down is a vague objective for the next chapter - you spend a lot of time uncovering the evil plot from the demonic cult, learning about ancient evils and your destiny as the chosen ones yadda yadda, and how you need Icara to defeat the ancient evil from before the universe or some nonsense.

After travelling half the world, jumping to magical planes and the like you finally track her down in a crystal prison. Your character's first words to her after you free her are "Icara, you're under arrest for the murder of Counsellor Jake!"

It's just....did none of the rest of the plot happen? Why is that your first thought? Jake was a murderous demonic cultist, why do you still give a poo poo? Isn't the impending end of the world kind of more important?

The plot is really simplistic and trite, and the writing doesn't even rise to that level.

(Explodo-skeletons owned, and the biggest thing dragging down OS2 is the lack of explodo-skeletons)

I got to the point where I'd talked to Jake's dog and dug up Jake's grave after seizing like apparently plot-relevant underwear from his widow or something and was like "is this the a-plot? Didn't my group of shiftless wandering murder experts just go to the end of time and meet the Watcher or something? What is even happening?" and dipped, yeah

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't like the Mold Room in Control. It's a huge pain in the rear end and there isn't a control point so you have to go all the way down again from Central Research if you die.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't like the Mold Room in Control. It's a huge pain in the rear end and there isn't a control point so you have to go all the way down again from Central Research if you die.

If it's the room I'm thinking of (first room after the mold researcher, big purple hole in the floor) there's a control point on one of the upper levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

What powers do you have?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have Lightbox, Floppy Disc, Carousel horse, Safe I'm guessing I'll need a few more powers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

I have Lightbox, Floppy Disc, Carousel horse, Safe I'm guessing I'll need a few more powers.

You couldn't have just given me the names of the powers, ugh now I gotta look them up again. (I kid). Since you have Evade, you can Evade when falling to cancel any momentum you have so you can fall a long distance but Evade near the bottom and you don't die. It's risky but I did it plenty of times to get down to the Mold area from Central Research using that one long vertical shaft. As NoEyedSquareGuy points out though, there's another option as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

lol, I've played it twice and couldn't tell you what any of those powers correspond to, except forsafe, because I let out an audible groan when I realized what it was.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lobok posted:

You couldn't have just given me the names of the powers, ugh now I gotta look them up again. (I kid). Since you have Evade, you can Evade when falling to cancel any momentum you have so you can fall a long distance but Evade near the bottom and you don't die. It's risky but I did it plenty of times to get down to the Mold area from Central Research using that one long vertical shaft. As NoEyedSquareGuy points out though, there's another option as well.

That's how I got there as well. I'll wait until I have all the powers then try that area again later.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

lol, I've played it twice and couldn't tell you what any of those powers correspond to, except forsafe, because I let out an audible groan when I realized what it was.

The floppy disc has nuclear launch codes :downsrim:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something dragging Control down is the presentation of the (joke but spoils a power)Horse power. I want to see Jesse giggling like an idiot while riding a giant teleporting carousel horse around an arena.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I just picked up Control too. My biggest headache is how little warning the game gives you about many things being deadly until they severely hurt/kill you. Was kind of pissed when I got sent to clear out a clog and the game rewarded my shooting the thing with an undodgable spray of acid that I had literally zero reason to expect, or walking into a red corridor and suddenly seeing my health drop like crazy with, again, no sign to expect that problem. It’s still a good game (or will be if I stop sucking at the combat), but it feels a little too lacking in feedback for “this is dangerous”; also kind of hate the lack of a minimap or other way to keep track of enemies around me in that regard.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I feel like "don't stand in front of a poop monster" should be basic common sense, but I mentally kicked myself when I fell for it too.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

MadDogMike posted:

I just picked up Control too. My biggest headache is how little warning the game gives you about many things being deadly until they severely hurt/kill you. Was kind of pissed when I got sent to clear out a clog and the game rewarded my shooting the thing with an undodgable spray of acid that I had literally zero reason to expect, or walking into a red corridor and suddenly seeing my health drop like crazy with, again, no sign to expect that problem. It’s still a good game (or will be if I stop sucking at the combat), but it feels a little too lacking in feedback for “this is dangerous”; also kind of hate the lack of a minimap or other way to keep track of enemies around me in that regard.

I died at least four times fighting the mold boss with zero idea of what was even killing me. It turns out I was dying to toxic spores, despite having just done the errand to become immune to toxic spores in order to even reach the boss.

The bosses in general hit probably twice as hard as they ought to. The regular Hiss troops have terrible aim, don't hurt much anyway and drop mounds of health, none of which really prepared me for boss fights where it's suddenly hugely important not to get hit at all by big wide-area attacks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I died at least four times fighting the mold boss with zero idea of what was even killing me. It turns out I was dying to toxic spores, despite having just done the errand to become immune to toxic spores in order to even reach the boss.

The bosses in general hit probably twice as hard as they ought to. The regular Hiss troops have terrible aim, don't hurt much anyway and drop mounds of health, none of which really prepared me for boss fights where it's suddenly hugely important not to get hit at all by big wide-area attacks.

My biggest problem is the inconsistency with the spore thing. So this massive room full of deadly fungus is fine, but small rooms with small pockets of death fungus actually hurt you? When I saw the fungus pit that forms that area around the elevator shaft I thought that I was heading into a death zone because I'd learned that Fungus = Death Air.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Honestly I went to Mold Zone really late because on my first trip to Research I saw the pit, went "well, can't do anything with that!" and straight up forgot about it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Mold Pit is best done as part of the endgame when you're fully powered up. I'd put it on the back burner until the story is wrapped up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

a lot of the later/busier fights have this problem too. The game does not communicate hit feedback or attacks well at all, combined with your low health and there being a lot of abstract/invisible enemies with intentionally disorienting attacks, it makes for a lot of frustrating deaths.

I found myself wishing for slowdown/bullet time a lot, it's weird that it's maybe the second Remedy game without it despite starring an actual space-manipulating telekinetic. It would fit in Jesse's power set perfectly and make a lot of the combat situations work much better in practice.

I know it's a mechanic that we all got correctly sick of when it was in every single game made from 2007-2012 but I think enough time has passed to accept that it has its place in games like this. Much as it can be a shortcut to smooth over flaws in a combat/control system, Control does in fact have those exact flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also find the Safe power useless at least without a few upgrades, simply because you can't do anything while it's up. It's better to throw something at an enemy and just kill it than waste time hiding behind a wall of poo poo.