Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Droid sidekick, best sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
have to agree, T7 is good

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Like T7.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Droids break. In the head. T7 bad.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I changed my mind regarding putting character banners at the start of every update. We'll all start doing that from now on, just know that the level shown is basically meaningless. Leveling in this game is comically easy with just a little effort. The class story quests, the main planet quests, and one or two side quests here or there is enough to keep you ahead, and each planet has a level sync that keeps you from becoming too powerful.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Stand by for a bad idea on my part.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 1: Landing Party

[It’s happening again!]

: AAAAHHHHHH

: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

: AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

: AAAAAHHHHHHHH
: …
: Nailed it.

: Can't believe you made it through that separatist shooting gallery, captain. Your ship isn't even scratched. It takes guts landing in the middle of a battlefield. Nice flying.
: I owe it all to my lightning reflexes and crackerjack timing.
: You‘ve clearly had lots of practice getting shot at.
: Very much yes.

: The name's Skavak. I'm picking up those blasters in your cargo hold. Excuse the rush, but I need to get out of here quick. This village used to be safe, but the separatists are taking over. If I were you, I'd haul jets as soon as we're done.
: Who are these people? What are they after?

: Separatists who want to break away from the Republic. Judging by all the explosions, they're serious about the idea. Sounds like the bombing is getting closer. The separatists will be right on top of us any minute. Here's your payment for making this run, Captain. Soon as I have those blasters, you'll be free to fly.
: Well then, pleasure doing business with you.

: Skavak! We've got a big problem. Separatists took over the local air defense cannon!
: Whoa! Slow down, slow down, Corso. What are you talking about?
: They deployed some kinda remote control stations. Hijacked the cannon's targeting computer. drat separatists just destroyed an incoming Republic transport!
: You got a name?
: Huh? Oh -- Corso Riggs. I'm with Skavak. Nice to meet you.
: I’m sure the Republic troops will get everything under control.
: They’ve already got their hands full. Separatist rocket launchers just attacked a Republic walker, knocked it down hard.
: Wouldn’t want to be in their boots, but I fail to see how it’s my problem.

: With those remote control stations, the separatists can override the air defense cannon's computer -- turn that power against us any time they want!
: That's bad news, captain. The separatists will blast you out of the sky if you even think about taking off.
: The separatists have remote control stations all over the area. You'll probably have to hit several before they lose control of that cannon.
: Wait, me? I’m not going out there.
: Well it’s not our problem if you’re stuck here, we’re leaving either way.
: :sigh: I should charge extra for my thrilling heroics.
: Good luck. Hope we see you again.
: Yeah, me too. Dying on this planet would only be slightly worse than being stranded here.
: Let's move, Corso. We're running out of time.

: Dang, they really did wreck a Republic walker. Hopefully they’re busy fighting the troops from that thing and won’t notice me.

: Don’t mind me, boys, just gonna get past your lines here while you keep their heads down. Thank you for your service!

: And now for the computer.

: Uh, sorry, wrong room, do you guys know where HA!

: ”Wrong room.” Heh. Gets them every time.

: What? It wants me to make a new account and link it to my old one?

: Eff that.

: Captain, you there? It's Corso. We got trouble back at the hangar!
: Is my ship alright?
: For now -- but maybe not much longer! Separatists are busting into the hangar! We're giving them a warm welcome but we could use a hand! Skavak, get over here! Help me seal this hangar door! Skavak? What are you ...

: ’Scuse me, sir, coming though! It’s an emergency!

: Stay away from my ship!

: Ugh ... feels like a gundark used my skull as a drum. Thanks for saving my hide, Captain.
: Where’s your boss?
: Skavak helped those separatists get in here. He stabbed us in the back!
: What, but that … wait, what’s that sound?

: Oh no.

: No no no no …

: Noooooo!

: That scum stole my ship!
: He took all the weapons, too. He and the separatists must have been planning this all along! Hang on... where's Torchy?
: What?
I don't believe this! Skavak stole my blaster! Torchy‘s a genuine BlasTech ALT-25 with magnatemic adhesion grip and side-mounted rangefinder. She's too good for Skavak.
: I'm surprised Skavak didn't steal the whole hangar.
: He’s not getting away with this!

: C'mon... c‘mon... pick up. blast you!

: Aw, what's the matter, Corso? Did I hurt your feelings? Be thankful you're alive, kid.
: Bring my ship back and I‘ll consider forgiving you.
: This rust-bucket handles like a drunken dewback, but I like it. You know the saying -- finders keepers.
: Grr.
: On behalf of Ord Mantell's glorious freedom fighters, I thank you for your blasters, your ship, and a big laugh. Have a nice day.
: I think you're celebrating a little early.
: It‘s no use -- he cut the comm channel. He always was good at making an exit.
: … Well. This sucks.

: Skavak stole my best blaster, but I guess it's not as bad as losing a whole starship. I feel for you. Captain.
: Thanks, I guess. Now what do I do? All I’ve got is the clothes on my back and this blaster.
: Listen, Skavak and l were working for a guy named Viidu. When he finds out Skavak's a separatist. he'll want revenge just like you. Do yourself a favor and go talk to Viidu in Fort Garnik. I guarantee he'll help get your ship back.
: Forts tend to be full of people I prefer to avoid, kid.
: Not to worry. The Republic Army runs Fort Garnik, but they let the boss do as he pleases. He keeps their supply lines open. Viidu’s a smart guy with connections everywhere. If anybody can find your ship, it's him.
: So I just have to trek through a warzone to a fort and hope there aren’t any warrants for my arrest there? Great.
: l have to lock down this hangar, but I'll send Viidu a holo and tell him what's up. Fort Garnik isn't far from here. I'll see you there soon, Captain.
: I knew I should have just stayed in bed this morning.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Thus begins the famous holovid "Dude, Where's My Ship".

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Twileks are so weird looking.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The prettification of Twi'leks happened in the original SWG just after the beta. The devs found that nobody wanted to play the butt ugly males, despite everyone enjoying playing the severely gimped giant lizard people. It was weird.

I say we like T7, he's the second best droid in the game.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I would totally play as a Trandoshan if I could

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
In SWG Trandoshians couldn't wear boots or helmets, gimping them severely in the late game. They never were able to fix it until they just said, "gently caress it, give them boots and helmets."

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

: Hold your fire, we surrender! We surrender! Please! We're all hurt—bad! We can barely walk! We won't try to stop you—I swear it! We'll just... we—we'll Evac out the door, and never come back. Just let us live, please!"
: I'm not here to kill people who can't fight; you can go.

: Really? You mean it? I thought the Republic wasn't taking prisoners?
: What? Why?
: It's what command has been telling us, and there were videos besides. But you're an honorable soldier. We appreciate it.
: There's a lot more shooting to be done. Keep your heads down and go.
: We'll do that!
: Those videos are probably fake too, but..no, not my problem. Yet.

: Heh, control center is ours. Good luck using this place without anyone running it!

: And goodbye, generator!

: What the—a Republic soldier? How did you get in here?
: In the name of the Galactic Republic, I order you to surrender!
: Go ahead! Take me in, torture me! I'll reveal nothing! The glorious separatist movement will never submit to your decadent, so-called Republic!

: Hm. No bomb.
: That's right! We're three steps ahead of you. Three hundred steps ahead! The separatist movement is an unstoppable force, driven by the will of the people!
: Enough. Kill him?
: Let's work the guy over a bit, make sure he doesn't know anything.
: The—the glorious... you don't, you don't scare- wait, wait! The bomb! They moved it! They—they moved it. My commander came, he... we took the bomb down to the coast and loaded it onto a seaspeeder. I don't know where it was taken after that.
: Extensive security. Why?
: It's because... well... Saphrro, Vyru and Bol are here. Three of our greatest heroes who lead us in our' glorious— They're, uh, they're officers. Cell commanders. They run operations in diffrent parts of Avilatan. They're having a conference, relocating men to different cells. They're-

: They're dead. Sergeant?
: Did you just execute a prisoner in cold blood to read off a loving one liner, Wraith?
: We don't have time for-
: I have at least three diffrent ways to knock him out in seconds, and he clearly wasn't some big future threat. He probably would have deserted as soon as he woke up, so again, what the gently caress Wraith?
: We can't afford the risk: they can't know what we know about the bomb, and we'd need a team to extract prisoners.
: ..fine, I'll take care of them, sir.
No, you don't really get to call her out on straight up murdering a prisoner; it was probably meant as some badass Han Shot First thing, but I resent it.

: Saphrro, Vyru and Bol are priority—one targets, Sergeant. And recovering their data on separatist cell locations and manpower is too good an opportunity to pass up.
: That data will be critical to learning the bomb's movements before it's too late.
: You have your orders. Get the data. Kill the officers.
: ...

: I'm telling you, I heard blaster- ah poo poo.
: In the name of the Galactic Republic, I order you to surrender!

: Wipe the data, we can't let it fall into enemy hands!
: It's just one man! Kill him!

*One bunch of shooting later*
: Should have listened to your commander, he was smart.

: You got the Data disks! Fantastic! But I see you happen to be one Waxx short?
: Kid joined the Seps. Sorry.
: That idiot. Watched too many holovids, always confuses "small" with "right," and has to be bailed out by daddy before someone dumps his body in a gutter somewhere. Oh well, I'll get him out eventually; here's the credits, good work.

: Sergeant, you've returned. Masterful work, eliminating the separatist officers. The beast has been beheaded.
: I'll get the officer's data out to the rest of Havoc right away. As for you, Lieutenant Dorant here has a special up already planned out.
: Earlier today, a man named Zak came to the fort from Oradam Ming medicalia attention. Zak was suffering from acute radiation poisoning, causing catastrophic organ failures. His body was practically tearing itself apart from within—quite magnificent to observe.
: (Yeah, it's real great. gently caress you, pal.) Is it normal for villagers to get radiation poisoning sickness around here?
: Not at all: as a day laborer, Zak performs pointless, menial tasks that would never involve any kind of radiation exposure.
: On the other hand, Fuse told us that the ZR—57 can leak significant amounts of radiation if handled improperly.
: Zak must have been near the ZR-57, knowingly or otherwise. I want the details, even if you must pry them from his dying husk of a mind.
: Are we really going to be so ruthless, sir?
: This is a desperate situation, Sergeant. We need that intel.
: The medics who treated Zak weren't equipped to heal him, but we have the right supplies right here: just inject it into the body and it'll do the job. Given that Zak's current medications can promise only a lifetime of excruciating pain, the potential for a full recovery should be an excellent motivator.
: Any questions?
:Hit the scavenger camp, retrieve the ingredients to cure Zak's radiation poisoning... Understood.
: Nothing fancy on this one, Sergeant: once you've got the cure collected, you'll confront Zak athis home in Oradam village and question him about the ZR-57. Just get the ingredients, get the intel from Zak, and then get back. Dismissed.
I'm skipping some stupid stuff about finding stolen medication commonly found on pretty much any ship in Star Wars.

: You, you're a soldier, right? From the fort? Please, help us. We're really sick-my wife is dying.
: Forget it... ungh... I'll be f—fine, Zak, just get that soldier out of here!
: No, Jaller! Please, soldier—the medics at the fort—l talked to them earlier. Please, tell them to send help!
As long as you tell me what I need to know, everything will be alright.
: You what? I—I don't understand. What would you need our help with?
: You've been poisoned by radiation from a stolen Republic bomb.

: What? You mean... Jaller, do you know anything about this?
: Quiet, Zak. We don't know anything about... ungh... anything.
: They're the reason we're both sick, aren't they? You're dying because of them!
: Zak, don't. You'll ruin everything. The movement—
: The movement sold us out! They don't care about us—they just care about their weapons and their secrets.
: No! I'll never betray the movement. Never.
: The "movement" got you into this mess by having you move a giant, radioactive bomb with no warning. Why would you defend them?
: Jaller, they aren't worth dying for. Think of me. I love you.
: If you love me, Zak, you won't betray everything I stand for. Please let me go...UGH!
: Please, Jaller. No!
: Use this injector. It will cure your radiation poisoning—both of you.
: R—really? Thank you. Thank you so much.

: No, Zak... not worth..
: Shhhh. You're going to be okay now. I'm not going to lose you, Jaller. I'm not.
: You've saved us, soldier. You've saved Jaller. I owe you everything. i
: All I ask is that you tell me where the ZR-57 is.
: Oh right, th—the crate.
: Jaller and I helped move this really big crate. We got sick right afterward—l'm sure it's what you're looking for.
: We dropped the crate off at the stronghold—it’s the separatists‘ main base.
: Ah gently caress. Err,thank you for your assistance.
: So long, soldier.

: Come on in, Sergeant. I copied everything—sounds like we're gonna be hitting the separatists where they live. Good work.
: Just doing my duty.
: I hope you're ready for this: the mountain stronghold is the separatists‘ most fortified position on the entire island—getting in there won't be easy. I've already put out the call. Havoc is assembling immediately, so get back here on the double.
: I can't wait to take these Seps down once and for all!
: You and me both, Sergeant.

---
Time for the big push, sis. We know where it was, and now we're gonna go get it.
I hope that's really the case. Something's been..off with the Republic forces there: the Separatists are in chaos with most of their command dead, and the Republic has basically all the intel they could ever ask for, but the push against the main stronghold has stalled completely. Officially, it's to avoid pressing them into blowing the bomb, but Tarvus and Jorgan should know that going slow is far more dangerous, since any of dozens of officers could order the bomb blown. It's weird.
: Avoiding casualties? Or maybe the others would just get in the way of Havoc?
: ..Maybe. Get back to HQ and find out for sure.
---
Mostly boring busy work this episode, but the big conclusion is up next and it should be a bit more-
: Hey, soldier!
: I'm sorry, wha-

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You know, watching the Jedi Knight Storyline is mildly amusing to me just on the Lightsaber thing, considering as far as I can remember the Sith Warrior gets one basically in the very first set of quests. Might have been a training saber though.

Really though that tells you all you need to know about the two orders. Also, that I'm gonna miss good ol' Mortiferocity.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 26, 2020

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Lord_Magmar posted:

You know, watching the Jedi Knight Storyline is mildly amusing to me just on the Lightsaber thing, considering as far as I can remember the Sith Warrior gets one basically in the very first set of quests. Might have been a training saber though.

Really though that tells you all you need to know about the two orders. Also, that I'm gonna miss good ol' Mortiferocity.

Not a lightsaber. A sith alchemy saber. Those are metal.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Feels pretty gross to play on the side of the murdering occupiers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

And yet, they're still better than the Empire.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The entirety of Ord Mantell, on both classes, is just constantly dragging the republic through the mud.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Siegkrow posted:

Not a lightsaber. A sith alchemy saber. Those are metal.

Ah, so still a real weapon but not an actual Lightsaber. I think this is still technically better than a training Saber.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There really seems to be a disconnect between the writers of the various quests on Ord Mantell. Half of them were doing a "are we the baddies?" thing and the other half just thought "the prequel trilogy says separatists are bad guys so they must be super evil" thing.

But yeah the next Smuggler update is mostly filler but there are a few codex entries that make it pretty clear the separatists have some really legitimate grievances.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 6: Weapon of the Jedi

quote:

It is a dark era for the Jedi Order. The Sith Empire obliterated the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and slaughtered many of the Republic's brave defenders during the last war.

The surviving Jedi have withdrawn to their ancient homeworld of Tython, where they take advantage of a fragile peace to train a new generation of guardians for the galaxy.

But when Master Orgus is captured by his former padawan BENGEL MORR, padawan ALORA STARI and the astromech droid T7-01 must go to the ancient Forge to rescue him …

[Almost ten years on and Bioware has yet to make a mount that will show your companion riding along with you. Let’s all pretend that T7 is strapped precariously to the back with a bunch of bungee cords.]

: More ruins. Great. I assume we’re on the right track?
: T7 = detecting hostile life forms // Jedi = be careful
: I’ll take that as a “yes.”

: Ugh, they’ve even defiled this place. After we stop Morr it’s going to take forever to clear all the Flesh Raiders and bone piles out of here.

: Argh! That stuff really hurts!
: T7 = rather get hit with sticks than lightning

quote:

Since the rebuilding of the temple, the very best of the young Jedi have braved the paths through the mountains, hoping to make their first lightsabers at the monument known as the Forge -- the ancient Tythonians' site for creating or mending weapons.

When the Jedi returned to Tython, they had only scraps of information on the Forge's location: it took ten months before a small team finally discovered it overgrown by vines and half-buried by a landslide.

Despite the Forge's power, many Jedi have sensed a strange darkness or corruption in the region surrounding the Forge. The local beasts are unusually vicious, and the weather often changes without warning. These phenomena mean only the most skilled and combat-ready Padawans are encouraged to seek out the Forge.

: I sensed you coming. Your fear betrayed you. You’re weak, like my old Master. You will fall with him.
: You’re not hurting anyone else, Bengel. It's over.
: No. The will of the Force guided me here for justice, to restore what the Jedi lost.

: You weren't on Coruscant. You never saw our greatest cut down or watched the temple burn. l escaped that destruction to see my own Master surrender to the Sith. They exterminated us, and he gave up.
: You’re wrong about Master Orgus. He's training me to defeat the Sith.
: Weapons are only as strong as those who created them. The weak will be sacrificed here to make the Forge stronger.

: The Jedi Order must be reborn from ashes …
: Maybe, maybe not. Either way you won’t be the one to do it!

: Hey, stay away from my droid!

: You've won -- why has the Force guided me to this defeat? You're stronger than any Jedi I've known.
: Pff, yeah I am.
: You could redeem the Order and destroy the Sith.
: I understand. You are the weapon I came to forge.

: What.
: Don't deny the truth. Think -- how else could you have beaten me?
: You think I’m destined to defeat the Empire?
: I'm certain of it. I found my purpose, at last. l have spent a lifetime learning the paths to power. That knowledge is now yours. Let me leave Tython and prepare the galaxy for your ascendance. I will deliver the gifts you need to claim your destiny.
: ...
: You'll get the help you need. Bengel -- but you can't leave here. *punch*

: Jedi = considered Bengel Morr’s offer?
: What? No, no. Guy’s obviously nuts. Go see if Master Orgus is all right, will you?

[You can take Bengel up on his offer and let him go for dark side points. You can also kill him for dark side points. I can’t remember which is more dark side but it affects a few lines of dialogue in the next few sections.]

: Padawan … I must have you to thank for being alive.

: I captured Bengel Morr, Master. He's resting quietly. Maybe a concussion, but if so it’s just a small one.
: You've done a great thing. He deserves a second chance. The horrors he witnessed on Coruscant broke him -- destroyed the gentle Padawan I trained. You, however, faced a challenge beyond any trial I could assign.

: There‘s nothing more I can teach you.
: Jedi = big victory // T7 = congratulates Jedi
: All that's left is for you to enter the Forge and construct your own lightsaber.

: What is this place, Master?
: The first Jedi came here to construct their lightsabers millennia ago. It's strong in the Force. Normally, we make Padawans gather materials themselves -- but you've proven enough. These are all the physical components -- the rest will come from your mastery of the Force.
: You just had all of these on you?
: The Force works in mysterious ways.
: T7 = stay with Jedi + keep guard
: I’ll carry Bengel back to the Jedi Temple and get him help. Meet me there when you're ready. I’ll be reporting to the Council.

[How did T7 get up those stairs? Well obviously he’s got little jets like R2-D2 and Chopper; he’s even got an ability that rockets him at enemies in combat.]

: Okay … just like I practiced.

: Hell yeah.

: … Hmm.
: Jedi = disappointed?
: No, I mean, it’s just … this thing is pretty basic, you know? I always imagined my lightsaber being more … unique. And blue? Hell no, I’m already blue enough.
: Most Jedi = make many changes to lightsaber // Jedi = not stuck with basic lightsaber forever
: Good point. Since these parts were a gift from Master Orgus we’ll show it off to him, but then as soon as I’m offworld I am going to mod the hell out of this thing. Come on, let’s head back to the temple.

[Some giant creature jumps you as you leave the Forge but it’s just there as a way for you to see your new lightsaber in action.]

: Master Dentiri! Do you have any droids I can quick practice using my new lightsaber with?
: As a matter of fact, yes. We just received the latest combat simulation data from the Republic and combined it with the data we collected from your earlier fight. It’ll be tough, but if you can do this, there will be nothing more we can throw at you. You’ll be fully qualified to lead Republic troops in battle.
: I’m more than ready.

: Unbelievable! To tell the truth, I didn’t think it was possible. I think you’ve more than qualified for the job of leading Republic soldiers in battle. Congratulations. Amazing!
: :smug:

: The Flesh Raiders are still a threat, but without Bengel's leadership they'll be scattered and ill-equipped.

: This temple could've been devastated. The entire order is in your debt, Padawan.
: l crafted my own lightsaber. I'm a Jedi Knight, now.
: The rank of Knight is only conferred by the Council-and we have a more pressing topic to discuss.
: What could be more pressing?
: Recent developments in the Twi'lek settlement demand a response.
: Oh, yeah, I guess that’s kind of important.

: Their Matriarch betrayed me to Bengel, but she surrendered herself to us for judgment. Your doing, I understand. Good work.
: What happened to Master Orgus is almost unforgivable. You know the Twi'leks, padawan. How do you recommend we proceed?
: The Twi'leks need guidance. We should take charge of their settlement.
: Jedi don't govern others. That kind of power is too easily abused.
: We created instability by refusing to help them. That has to change.
: We don't need to govern the Twi'leks -- just keep a close eye on them. Be ready to intervene. At least we know they can't be trusted. We won't put them in a position to betray us again.

: Very well. Now, as for you, padawan …
: This young Jedi captured a fallen member of our order and saved this temple from destruction. I see no reason for her to remain a padawan.
: That’s what I’m saying!
: Your bravery, heroism, and sacrifice show great depth of character. You represent our best hopes for the future. You arrived on Tython a padawan, but you leave a Knight of the Republic. May the Force be with you.
: It‘s about time. No more "padawan do this" and "padawan go there."
: That's right. Now the real work begins.
: I'm eager to do some good in the galaxy. Send me somewhere I can help out.
: Plenty of trouble spots in the galaxy. We'll find one for you.

: T7 = requests permanent assignment to assist Jedi // T7 + Jedi = unstoppable
: "Unstoppable" is a strong word, but you have your uses.
: Teeseven has served faithfully for many years. He'll serve you equally well. Request granted.
: We're getting a priority signal from Coruscant. It's Master Kiwiiks …

: Master Orgus ... everyone ... I've discovered a situation requiring further assistance. Our suspicions about Coruscant were correct. The dark presence we have long sensed is strongest here.
: I keep hearing about this dark presence, but I haven't sensed it.
: Had you spent as much time in meditation as the Council, you might.
: Something malignant works in the shadows of the capital. We must find it.

: This situation calls for our very best. Master Orgus, you and your former pupil should join Master Kiwiiks on Coruscant.
: Come to the Senate tower as soon as you can. Master Kiwiiks out.
: No rest for us, my friend.
: All I get is a pat on the back and a new mission? I just saved this temple.
: We'll build a bronzium statue of you -- promise.
: Well at least that’s … oh, you’re being sarcastic.
: I need to wrap up some things before I go. And a Master Zonn has requested help with a matter in Kaleth. We’ve sent another padawan to meet with him but I think it best if you help out. After you wrap that up, I’ll meet you on Coruscant.
: Farewell. The Force will be with you -- always.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You have done in weeks what many cannot do in years!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I like old Orgus Din. He can match a snarky Padawan tit for tat.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
*X years ago*
: "MOVE! WE NEED TO TAKE THAT PAD BEFORE MORE PIRATES LAND!"

: "..Jedi don't govern others, they said." *huff huff*

: "CORPORAL! TAKE OUT THAT DEFENSE GUN, FORCE drat IT!"

: "..That kind of power is too easily abused, they said." " *huff huff*

: "MOVE! WE''RE hosed IF WE GET PINNED HERE! MOVE!"

: "..Oh, soldiers?" *huff huff* "gently caress those guys, I guess." *huff huff*

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You have done in weeks what many cannot do in years!

show of hands, who heard this in his voice?

agghh

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Given the way the story is structured, the argument could be made that all of this happened in one day.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I find it very interesting that the Jedi council basically decide instead of offering support and guidance to the Twi’leks they’re just going to monitor them to ensure “They’re never in a position to betray us again.”

Probably another sign that they’re losing their way even as they cling to it to recover from tragedy. Also this game tries very hard to show the Republic as the lesser of two evils in my opinion, there’s plenty wrong some of which is admittedly because of the War but the Empire remains the worse of the two options.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Lord_Magmar posted:

I find it very interesting that the Jedi council basically decide instead of offering support and guidance to the Twi’leks they’re just going to monitor them to ensure “They’re never in a position to betray us again.”

Probably another sign that they’re losing their way even as they cling to it to recover from tragedy. Also this game tries very hard to show the Republic as the lesser of two evils in my opinion, there’s plenty wrong some of which is admittedly because of the War but the Empire remains the worse of the two options.

The council's response is dictated by the player's. You can tell them something along the lines of "this is partly our fault by refusing to support them to begin with" and then they're much more sympathetic toward the twi'leks, IIRC.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So I got sucked into the wiki hole for this game and saw that a Sith Inquisitor can romance Khem Val? How does that work?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So I got sucked into the wiki hole for this game and saw that a Sith Inquisitor can romance Khem Val? How does that work?

Surviving a cascade of bad decisions is how dark-side Inquistors get stronger, and no decision is worse than that one. I presume a Light-side one would do so because they're either as bat-poo poo crazy as Harley Quinn, or are trying to convince everyone that's indeed the case.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 2: Desperate Times

quote:

Anarchy rules in the frontier systems. While the Galactic Republic struggles to recover from its conflict with the Sith Empire, reckless mercenaries profit from the interstellar turmoil.

An intrepid smuggler boldly ran the separatist blockade of Ord Mantell, only to be betrayed by the vile starship thief SKAVAK.

Now, Captain JEK TAMBO is marooned in a war zone and desperate to recover the stolen starship and its cargo …

: This planet is the worst.

quote:

The area now called Fort Garnik began as a series of makeshift landing pads built on the island of Avilatan for spacers who were too disreputable for the mainland. Avilatan was a haven for gangsters, smugglers, and pirates, but was also one of the largest and most thriving economies on Ord Mantell.

Settlements formed, and over decades Avilatan became respected as a major commerce center. When separatist bombings destroyed Ord Mantell's other spaceports, Avilatan became the Republic military’s primary staging area and its now-substancial landing zone took on strategic importance.

Renaming the Avilatan Spaceport to "Fort Garnik" in honor of a Republic war hero from Ord Mantel, the military established a fortified garrison there. Since then, Avilatan Island and Fort Garnik have become major targets of the separatist forces.

: Uh, I have an appointment with Viidu? He’s expecting me.
: I’ll just find him myself, then.

[Behold the #4 body type.]

: Welcome, captain! I'm Viidu. Corso told me we've had a rough day. How about a drink to wash away our worries?
: Yes PLEASE.

: Here's a toast to my favorite things … the best collection of art works and exotic beverages in the whole system. And here's to the stupid separatists who destroyed it all. Between them and that backstabber Skavak. I am thoroughly ruined!
: Join the club.
: The blasters Skavak stole in your ship belonged to Rogun the Butcher. As employers go, he's not the most forgiving.

: That's a tough break, I'm sorry.
: Feel sorry for yourself. I'm working for him, but you're working for me. He'll blame us equally for this mess.
: … Oh.
: He's killed enough people to fill a convoy of bulk freighters, and now we've crossed him. Rogun bought those blasters to protect his business from separatists. When he finds out what's happened, guess who dies first? The only way we're getting out of this alive is finding Skavak, your ship, and those stolen blasters.

: So where do we start?
: I've got an idea where to start looking for Skavak. There's a guy named Reki who‘s an expert on separatists. Problem is, Reki's stuck behind a Republic blockade. Troops have his village surrounded while they “contain” the separatists there.
: How did the separatists manage to take over a whole town?
: Separatists have sympathizers in every village, helping them hold towns they take over. Traitors.

: There must be somebody else with knowledge of the separatists.
: Reki's the only person I trust to give us solid information. Fortunately, I’m friendly with the Republic commander in charge of the blockade. I can get you in and out of Talloran village. They’re running out of basic supplies thanks to the Republic blockade. Things are getting desperate in there. I'll pull together a survival kit. You smuggle it to Reki and he'll tell you a way to find Skavak. I'll send a message so he knows you're coming.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 29, 2020

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I used #4 body type on my Jedi. Chubby Chiss Jedi.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Start with nice candle-lit dinner, I imagine. What wine pairs well with the flesh of your enemies?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

It can only start in an expansion that's a long, LONG way from here.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Again, let's try not to get too deep into discussion of characters/events that haven't already been introduced.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 3: Hungry for Information

quote:

Anarchy rules in the frontier systems. While the Galactic Republic struggles to recover from its conflict with the Sith Empire, reckless mercenaries profit from the interstellar turmoil.

Marooned on the war-torn planet of Ort Mantell by the vile thief SKAVAK, Captain JEK TAMBO desperately searches for a stolen starship and its precious cargo.

Captain Tambo ventures into a separatist-occupied village to meet a contact who might know where Skavak has taken his illicit gains ...

: Carry on, gentlemen. I’m just going to pop into this village real quick-like. Viidu said it’d be no problem.

quote:

One of the few settlements around Fort Garnik not originally founded by criminals, Talloran village began as home to the laborers and their families who toiled in the island's starship ports and shipping warehouses. The people of Talloran were hardworking, mostly poor, and easily exploited by the corrupt businessmen in charge of Ord Mantell‘s government.

When the separatists came to the island, Talloran was the first village they infiltrated. The people, long oppressed by the existing power structure, were ready to side with anyone who offered them a way out. Ironically, siding with the separatists only got the workers trapped inside their village as the Republic laid siege to the enemy occupation.

: Uh oh, I forgot to ask if this village had been cut off long enough that cannibalism was a going concern.

: You're certainly not a resident here, and you're no separatist. You must be that hotshot freighter captain Viidu described over the holo.
: That’s me. I’ve got a delivery for you, and Viidu says you should have some information for me. Ladies.
: These poor, starving ladies and I are very grateful for the supplies you've brought. If I wasn’t so exhausted, I’d throw you a party.
: What are all these women doing here?

: Their husbands died defending Talloran against the separatists. Poor things. Now I look after them.
: Uh …
: Viidu said you're seeking information on a particular separatist named Skavak. The only place to find personnel data like that is at Mannett Point.
: Where’s that?
: It’s a smaller island in this archipelago and one of the separatists' main bases. I used to acquire quality goods at a discount on Mannett Point. I discovered all manner of shortcuts through the island's warehouses. I kept detailed schematics of every maintenance passage and tunnel there. Unfortunately, I had to abandon those schematics when l fled Mannett Point.
: You've got a brilliant plan, right?

: I always have a brilliant plan. It's why I'm still alive. My schematics are still in my former home. However, I short-circuited the building's door and sealed it shut when I left. The only way to re-open the door is by disrupting Mannett Point's power relays. Once you gain entry, you'll find my schematics cleverly disguised as an extraordinarily tedious treatise on bird watching. Don't worry, I'll teach you the code I used to conceal my schematics. You won't die of boredom reading about rare waterfowl. Now pay attention and listen carefully, because you really don't want to hear this twice …

[An interminable time later …]

: … and replace every mention of the Mantellian flutterplume with the number three. Did you get all that?

: That's the most sadistic way to hide information I've ever heard.
: Then you clearly haven't lived enough. Once you read my schematics, the way into the separatist computer station will become clear. Unfortunately, that only solves half your problems. The separatists encrypt all their files. You'll need special equipment to decipher their data. That's Viidu’s area of expertise, not mine.
: So let me get this straight. I’m breaking into Mannett Point to break into your house, to get information that will let me break into the separatist base, so I can steal information on Skavak. Information that I won’t be able to read.
: Sounds about right.
: Fantastic. I guess this is my life now

: I'll take those supplies now, if you don't mind. These poor ladies could use some cheering up.
: You're sure you want to stay here?
: Oh, I could never abandon these darling women. Whatever would they do without me? Farewell, Captain.
: Creep.

: Fellas.

: Well hello there.
: You must be the freighter captain Viidu's expecting. It's a pleasure to meet you in person. I'm Syreena.
: What's a knockout like you doing in this dump?

: I'm here to enhance the aesthetics of Viidu's surroundings. He enjoys looking at pretty things while he works.
: He’s got good taste.
: I heard about what happened with Skavak. Can't say I'm surprised. I told Viidu not to trust that scoundrel. Viidu’s putting on a brave face for me, but I can tell he's terrified. Is it bad? Should I be worried?

: Leave everything to me, sweetheart.
: It's comforting to know a confident man like you is taking care of things. I feel safer already. I suppose I shouldn't keep you any longer. Viidu might get the wrong idea about us.
: If he's gonna suspect anyway....
: Haha. I can see you're going to be trouble. We’ll have to continue this discussion later. Farewell. Captain.

: Well maybe this place isn’t so horrible after all.

: Back already, captain? Help me and Corso finish this Robe steak. Don't let this fine cut of meat go to waste.
: Boss, quit acting like that's your last meal. Rogun the Butcher isn't gonna kill you.
: I won't blow this -- trust me.
: Until I've recovered those stolen blasters, I'll eat and drink like there‘s no tomorrow.I hear things went well for you in Talloran. Reki told me he gave you a way into the separatists' hideout. Said something about a secret entrance?

: Always wondered how Reki could steal so much from Mannett Point and not get caught.
: Getting onto Mannett Point will be extra tricky. For one thing, you have to swim there.
: When the separatists invaded they blew up the only bridge leading onto the island. Turned it into their private resort.
: You'll be walking into the rancor‘s den, captain. That place is crawling with people who'd like to blast that grin off your face.
: Maybe I'll get lucky and find Skavak wandering around.
: I doubt he'll be that easy to find -- and I don't recommend asking for him door-to-door. If you download the separatist computer files onto this datapad and bring it back here, we'll handle the rest.

: I'd rather go with you, captain. My vibroblade's pretty good for chopping separatists off at the knees. I call it "Howie."
: Forget about the separatists, Corso. I want that slicer kit here before the captain comes back.
: I'm on it, boss. Good luck at Mannett Point, captain.
: Last thing I need is Corso turning "one man army" out there. Kid will just get himself killed for nothing.
: Yeah, he got a bit … intense there.
: Separatists wiped out his family a couple of years ago. Corso took it personally.
: As one would. I don’t blame him for wanting revenge.
: Mixing personal grudges and business is like dropping a thermal detonator into a fuel dump.

: Viidu, there’s someone named Rogun calling on the holo. He sounds upset.
: Oh, that's all I need! Stall him for me, sweetheart.

: Remember the plan: Disrupt Mannett Point's power relays, get inside Reki's old home, and use those schematics to enter the separatist base. When you‘re in, slice into the separatist computer and download everything onto my datapad. Good luck.
: Yeah. No pressure.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

You gotta see about getting yourself a proper Cool Spacer Jacket. Like a nice big duster or something, with a poppin' collar and a place to hide your blaster. In this line of work, a good blaster is just about the only friend you can rely on :ocelot:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

All of Jek's clothes were on his ship.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moon Slayer posted:

All of Jek's clothes were on his ship.

: My capes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow