Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This LP has a Discord server, for coordinating group stuff, talking about LP resources, and chatting about Star Wars and Star Trek!

Want to join in? We’re on the Satele Shan server. Get the game, it’s free!

What is this?/I’ve heard of this game and that it’s bad.

Stolen from the OP of the MMOHMO thread:

quote:

The history of SWTOR

Wow! It’s been almost 8 years since Star Wars: The Old Republic launched. The most expensive MMORPG ever made launched with 30+ servers with multiple server types, with guilds pre-registering for a server before the game ever launched, a series of multi-million-dollar high quality trailers and fanfare. The game had eight fully voiced and animated class stories that could take 50 hours to complete. And people loved it!
…except the game wasn’t finished at launch, and quickly lost many of their player base back to WoW and other games as people found there was nothing to do once they completed their class story. No raids, few dungeons, no group finder…the game was a glorified single player game at launch.

In 2012, at death’s door, Bioware introduced a Free to Play option along with a cash item shop to SWTOR. There’s no doubt that this saved the game and brought a fair number of players back to the game. Quality of life changes were added and endgame activities were polished up, allowing for a fairly complete product, albeit a year later. Here is a really good guide on the limitations of the various models of Free to Play. People call SWTOR's Free to Play model terrible, but I personally think it's very generous - you get the original game class stories, and soon to be the first two expansions, completely free. The cartel market (Cash shop) is 100% cosmetic, there is no Pay to Win in the game.

But forget all of that; we’re here for the story.

The story so far:
After the Great Hyperspace War, the Sith Empire was destroyed by the Republic and Jedi. The survivors fled to a distant corner of the galaxy, landing on the planet Dromund Kaas. There, a new Emperor arose and devoted his people to rebuilding their lost empire. 1,300 years later, after the Mandalorian Wars, two Jedi named Revan and Malak stumbled across Dromand Kaas. They met the Emperor (the same one who fled Korriban, he’s immortal now) and fought him. It's not known what happened after that, but Reven and Malak, now calling themselves Sith Lords, returned to the Republic, found the Star Forge, and started the events of Knights of the Old Republic. Then Knights of the Old Republic II happened. Kreia/Darth Traya knew what was going on; the Empire was the “true Sith” she warned the Exile about.

After that, 300 years of calm and rebuilding followed, with the Republic and Jedi Order bringing themselves back to where they were before the Mandalorian Wars. However, the Sith Empire's long-planned return finally kicked off with a massive invasion of the Republic. The Great Galactic War raged for the next 28 years. The Sith overextended and the war stalled; the Republic was going to start going on the offensive when a Sith fleet snuck behind their lines and sacked Coruscant. The subsequent Treaty of Coruscant basically divided the galaxy in two between the Republic and Sith Empire. Now, both exist in a state of cold war, fighting proxy battles on various planets and engaging in border skirmishes.

The game's story starts ten years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant. Like many MMO's, The Old Republic has two factions, the Republic and the Sith Empire. Each faction has four classes, and each class has their own unique storyline and quests.

Wait, wasn’t there already an LP of this? Wasn’t it your LP?
Yep, back in the early 2010’s I tackled this game, along with several others. In the end there were three threads total; one for Republic, one for Imperial, and later one for endgame. I ended up burning out pretty hard after finishing the Imperial Agent story and the whole thing was eventually ended by a real-world injury.

So why do it again?
If nothing else, the game has gotten far easier to LP in recent years, following several major quality of life improvements. I still play the game semi-regularly and each time I do I think to myself “man this would be so much easier to LP now than it was back then.” And then that finally morphed into “well why don’t I just do it?” Not all of the stories got completed in that first run-through, either, and there was a large amount of group content that never got touched that nonetheless ties into the overall story, stuff that I have regretted skipping the last time around.

This time around I will be playing the Jedi Knight storyline.

I want to LP the Jedi Counselor/Smuggler/Trooper!
Fantastic! The thing that made the last threads so fun was the interweaving stories and crossovers. It was all very comic book-y. Keep in mind, though, that there is a lot of content and this could be a long commitment. Send me a PM, join the Discord linked above, or just post in the thread if you’re interested! This is all taking place on the Satele Shan server, also mentioned above.

I want to LP the Sith Warrior/Inquisitor/Agent/Bounty Hunter!
For now I am keeping this Republic only. There is a good reason for this; I’ve got a plan.

I don’t want to LP an entire class story! Only crazy people would take on a project like that, but I do want to participate.
We’ll need people for group content, to fill in if there are scheduling issues, and possibly for other stuff that I haven’t thought of yet. In particular I want to show off operations when we get to them; we’ll need a bunch of people for that. And, of course, items and credits would help a lot if you’ve got a bunch of stuff cluttering up your bank.

Spoiler Policy:
No spoilers for game story stuff, tagged or untagged. That includes class stories, planetary stories, side quests (unless it’s obviously one we skipped), and especially expansion stuff. Spoiling Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2 is fine, as is untagged discussion of plot points of any of the movies or TV shows. Courtesy spoilers for any new TV that comes out during the course of the LP, i.e. Clone Wars season 7 and The Mandalorian season 2, would be nice, though.

Oh, and here are the links to the old threads (requires archives):
Imperial
Republic

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

by Moon Slayer
Chapter 1: Attack of the Flesh Raiders
Chapter 2: High Tech Savages
Chapter 3: Enemy Force
Chapter 4: The Face of the Enemy
Chapter 5: Dark Temptations
Chapter 6: Weapon of the Jedi
Crossover: The Chamber of Speech

by Dalris Othaine
Chapter 1: We Don't Need No Stinking Title Crawl
Chapter 2: Heads of Tails
Chapter 3: The Ballad of Nalen Raloch
Chapter 4: Knights of Tythonia

by thetruegentleman
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5

by Moon Slayer
Chapter 1: Landing Party
Chapter 2: Desperate Times
Chapter 3: Hungry for Information
Chapter 4: Security Breach
Chapter 5: Deadly Delivery
Chapter 6: Hitting Where it Hurts

The Esseles, part 1
The Esseles, part 2
The Esseles, part 3

Chapter 7: The Jedi Envoy
Chapter 8: Stolen Secrets
Chapter 9: Kidnapped!
Chapter 10: The Rescue
Chapter 11: Tracking Down the Traitor
Chapter 12: Race to the Ruins
Chapter 13: New Intelligence

Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8

Interstitial: Space Combat!

Chapter 7: The Gambler
Chapter 8: Identity Crisis
Chapter 9: Hot Pursuit
Chapter 10: Due Process
Chapter 11: Race the Devil

Chapter 14: The Architect of Annihilation
Chapter 15: Catching Up With Watcher One

Chapter 12: Beryl's Bargain
Chapter 13: Early Warning
Chapter 14: Illusions

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 31, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Species available to play:

The Old Republic is still, at its heart, a Bioware RPG, which means plenty of character customization! We can choose to play as a member of several different species. Now normally what species you can choose is limited to some extent by which class you play; for example, Jedi Knight is normally limited to Human, Miraluka, Mirialan, and Cyborg. However, when you get a character of a species to max level it unlocks it for all classes, and let’s just say I’ve played through this game a lot. So we can choose from all of the species below (with one exception).

Human

quote:

By far the most common species in the galaxy, humans are versatile and the norm against which other species are judged.

Your bog standard human, complete with slightly racist description. Notable members of this species: uh, almost everyone.

Miraluka

quote:

Born without eyes, the near-human Miraluka possess the unusual ability to see with the Force, viewing all the galaxy by how the Force moves through it.

Like Toph from The Last Airbender, but with the Force instead of earth. Comes with a few neat eye-shields and several really ugly ones. Notable members of this species: Visas Marr, from KotOR II.

Twi’lek

quote:

Instantly identifiable by their colorful skin and long head tails (called “lekku”), the Twi’lek people have long been oppressed, with only the rare group escaping slavery.

In Star Wars, species have one defining trait, and for the Twi’lek it’s slavery. Yikes. Also men have ears but women don’t. Notable members of this species: General Hera Syndulla, Jedi Master Aayla Secura, Jabba’s majordomo.

Zabrak

quote:

Fiercely independent and identifiable by their horns and facial tattoos, Zabraks have two visually different cultural groups split almost perfectly between Republic and Imperial species.

The Zabrak come in “good” and “bad” flavors (or chocolate and strawberry, if you prefer). Notable members of this species: Darth Maul, Bao-Dur (one of your KotOR II companions, the one nobody remembers).

Mirialan

quote:

The deeply spiritual Mirialan people have a religion built around a basic concept of the Force and tattoo geometric designs onto their faces to celebrate life achievements.

Humans but green and black. Not Orions, that’s the other LP! Notable members of this species: Jedi Master Luminara Unduli and her padawan Barriss Offee.

Chiss

quote:

A secretive, mysterious people, the blue-skinned Chiss are the only official allies of the Sith Empire, making them a subject of interest to everyone else.

When the Empire rolled up to the Chiss Ascendancy and demanded they surrender … they did, to the Empire’s great surprise. The Ascendancy managed to negotiate fairly good terms and maintain a significant amount of independence. Of note, Force users are treated as tainted by Chiss culture, who either execute or exile them. Notable members of this species: you know him, you love him, he’s canon again, it’s Grand Admiral Thrawn. Also, my character from the last time I LPed this game.

Cyborg

quote:

Humans enhanced by cybernetic implants, some to compensate for injuries, others to enhance their combat abilities.

Not the Teen Titan, just regular humans with metal bits stuck to their faces. Does not give any special abilities, so no shooting lasers out of your robot eyes or anything. Notable members of this “species”: Anakin and Luke, I guess, technically.

Cathar

quote:

The feline Cathar take great pride in their cultural heritage of loyalty and honor, though they have struggled to find their place in the galaxy since the destruction of their homeworld centuries ago.

Added well after launch in an attempt to tap into the lucrative furry market, the Cathar’s one defining trait is the sci-fi standard of “space Roma.” Notable members of this species: Juhani, the KotOR I character nobody remembers.

Togruta

quote:

A tribal species originating from an ancient planet, the Togruta are mainly distinguished by their colorful montrals and distinctive facial patterns.

Another unlockable species added after launch, the Togruta have the special ability to clip through almost every costume you try to wear. Notable members of this species: Ahsoka Tano, Jedi Master Shaak Ti.

Sith Pureblood

quote:

Descendants of the alien species that gave the name to the Sith Order, purebloods have a high percentage of Force sensitivity and sharp bone ridges.

The original inhabitants of Korriban, the Sith interbred with the first Dark Jedi who were banished after the Order’s first schism. Notable members of this species: nope, we’re deep into Legends territory here.

NOTE: Don’t vote for this! I know a light-side Sith pureblood Jedi could make for an interesting take, but I’ve got plans for this character that wouldn’t mesh well with this choice. I’m only including it for completion’s sake. Sorry.

Rattataki

quote:

Born and bred in a culture of war, Rattataki tattoo harsh, deep black symbols across their white skin and never walk away from a fight.

Bald and angry. Notable members of this species: none, this is another deep Legends pull.

Nautolan

quote:

Originating from the planet Glee Anselm, Nautolans are an amphibious species with prominent eyes and numerous, highly sensitive tentacles growing from their heads.

Originally in the base game as NPCs, Nautolans were added very recently as a playable species. Like the Togruta they feature extra costume-clipping action. Notable members of this species: the man, the legend, Kit Fisto.

:siren:Vote on a species and gender for the Jedi Knight! Choose wisely, as we will be stuck with this choice for quite some time!:siren:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Chiss, for the sake of tradition. Indeed, why not bring back Abeena from the old LP, and have this be her alternate history or something! You don't have to lean too far into it if you don't want to, of course.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Gotta go with a Lady Chiss. Every MMO playthrough on this subforum will have a blue-skinned lady at some point, I swear to god.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Got to be a male Nautolan: cool species but the women seem kinda freaky.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Twi'lek, because aliens make the best Jedi but Zabrak and Mirialan stink. And male, because David Hayter.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Wookies, droids, and Trandoshans are my favorite Star Wars races. Too bad we can’t play them.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Yeah, let's play as a Male Twi'lek. Hit em with the MUCHA SHAKA PAKA

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Walrus Pete posted:

And male, because David Hayter.

While yes, David Hayter does voice the male Knight and does a very good job of it, I think I should point out that this is primarily a screenshot LP so we won't hear him very often.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Male Nautolan

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Lady Cathar.

You gotta play as a cat girl. It's the new law.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Moon Slayer posted:

While yes, David Hayter does voice the male Knight and does a very good job of it, I think I should point out that this is primarily a screenshot LP so we won't hear him very often.

Fair point. In light of this, I'll add "so that your character doesn't mysteriously bare their midriff in about 30% of jedi robes" to my reason for voting male.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Male Nautolan

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I'll be playing the Trooper for you folks, FYI: a big bloke fresh out of the academy and right into the front lines of Ord Mantell. Word is the place is a hole, but most worlds turned battlefield are!

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I'll be doing Consular, at least for a while :D Let's pray I don't get the LP curse, this is a new computer!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I should have expected this, and I need to do some research but I may need to veto Nautolan if there is a lot of clipping due to how annoying I personally find it and how much it would limit the pretty princess dress-up opportunities, aka the real TOR endgame.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Moon Slayer posted:

I should have expected this, and I need to do some research but I may need to veto Nautolan if there is a lot of clipping due to how annoying I personally find it and how much it would limit the pretty princess dress-up opportunities, aka the real TOR endgame.

If you didn't want us picking Kit Fisto Sr. you shouldn't have hyped him up like that!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I loved your work on the STO LP, so I'll be following this. But I"m not going to join in, I definitely don't have the time.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Inferior posted:

Lady Cathar.

You gotta play as a cat girl. It's the new law.

:emptyquote:

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 8, 2020

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Female Chiss

I've always had a fondness for the feudal space smurfs. Seeing how you actually make one in the Republic good would be fun.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Vote is a virtual dead heat:

Female Chiss: 2
Female Cathar: 2
Male Nautolan: 3
Male Twi'lek: 2

Voting will close in 12 hours so I can record the first episode and hopefully have it up tomorrow. Let's get this show on the road! (but not too fast, trying to update every other day for months on end burned me out quick in the Star Trek: Online thread).

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I will further muddy the waters with a third vote for the Male Twi'lek.

But he should also be a blue twi'lek, in accordance with the rule of blue stated earlier in the thread.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Female Nautolan. Catgirls are great and all, 8 out of 10 members of Catgirl Bargains agree, but surely that means we need a fishgirl to attract all the catgirls.

Also having played as a David Hayter for most of my time in the game I'll admit I didn't really like his voice efforts that much.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Ground floor, very exciting! I never posted but I really loved the old threads back in the day, very excited to see what you guys do.

Voting for male, and I guess fish man too.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Dang I wanted on of the races with Hair, if only to vote for the only hairstyle that matters, the Pompadour.

Anyway, Male Twilek, the nautolans kinda freak me out with the eyes and poo poo.

Also taking in account how many super weapons there are in this game, and David Hayter voice too, I wholly expect a lot of metal gear references.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Female khajiit cathar.

Can I please ask that KOTOR stuff isn't spoiled, at least until the current LP of it finished? The big reveal has already happened but I'm curious if something unexpected will occur. :shobon:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
We should be a fish man.

Burblr burble burble
Burble burble burble blub

(https://youtu.be/nFzdIaBnckg)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Poil posted:

Female khajiit cathar.

Can I please ask that KOTOR stuff isn't spoiled, at least until the current LP of it finished? The big reveal has already happened but I'm curious if something unexpected will occur. :shobon:

Sure, we can try, although since this game is a direct sequal to the KotOR stuff there's going to be a bit of it in the game itself.

Also I forgot to mention that species has very little impact on dialogue in this game, but it does have some. Usually it's a difference between a "human" and an "alien" line, but very occasionally the player character's species gets referenced directly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Does this game really spoil much about KOTOR apart from the Revan reveal? I only played a few of the starting worlds before I just let this game fall by the wayside for WoW again.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Going to throw a vote in for female Chiss.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Does this game really spoil much about KOTOR apart from the Revan reveal? I only played a few of the starting worlds before I just let this game fall by the wayside for WoW again.

Eh, not a huge amount, now that I think about it. There's a lot of stuff that Revan got up to post KotOR I that gets discussed though.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Sorry, Moon Slayer. Female Chiss, no space rules, no space masters.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

I too want to run back the blue lady. (Female Chiss)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalris Othaine posted:

Sorry, Moon Slayer. Female Chiss, no space rules, no space masters.

Alas, you've been typecast moon. Female Chiss.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Male Chiss. Learn to appreciate art, Moon Slayer.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The people have spoken.

First update is coming tomorrow.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 1: Attack of the Flesh Raiders

This is a Star Wars game, after all.

: Master Weller? I’m Alora Stari.
: Welcome to Tython, padawan. Everyone at the temple is looking forward to meeting you. Your former masters praise your combat skills. They say you're becoming an expert duelist.

: I've never fought anyone I couldn't beat, including my masters.
: Impressive claim. If you’re seeking fresh challenges, you’ll find them. The Jedi Council will assign you a new master to oversee your final trials. You'll be tested in ways you can't imagine. But when you leave Tython, you'll know what it means to be a Jedi Knight. More importantly, you'll know yourself.

: Being a Jedi Knight is my calling. What else can the masters tell me?
: Many Padawans feel the same way until they face the trials. That's why releasing preconceived notions is part of the Jedi Code. "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge." Enter your training with an open mind. You might surprise yourself. There's a speeder here that will take you -- hang on. Getting an emergency signal …
: -under attack, repeat, under attack! Flesh Raiders are invading the Padawan training grounds! They have blasters! Send help!

: Flesh Raiders, armed with blasters? He must be mistaken.
: What are these things? Animals?
: Flesh Raiders are a species of hostile natives. They're smart enough to use tools and violent beyond reason. I'm sending every able-bodied Jedi down to the Padawan training grounds right away, especially you.

: Just point the way. I’ll handle the rest.
: Take the speeder outside to the training grounds. Push back the Flesh Raiders, and find out if they're really using advanced weapons. Go. I'll catch up after I alert the Jedi Council. May the Force be with you.
: Wait, where can I get a weapon other than this training saber?
: We’re a training center, all we have is training sabers! It will have to do.

: This. Is. AWESOME! I’ve been here 45 seconds and already they need me to save the day. Alora, you’ll have a kick-rear end lightsaber in no time.

[Speeders/Taxis are the point-to-point transit system in this game. At launch you had to first discover and activate both terminuses to be able to use them, which was a huge pain, especially if you missed one link in the chain! Later they made it so all points are automatically unlocked when you land on a planet.]

: All right, Fish Reavers or whatever you are, bring it!

quote:

Fierce creatures with an unrelenting hunger, Flesh Raiders are believed to be Tython’s only sentient natives. They are at least partially intelligent, capable of building shelters and assembling basic weapons from scavenged technology, but attempts to communicate have all ended violently. Known for devouring their prisoners and any animals they come across, the Flesh Raiders were formerly content to live in their primitive, bone-strewn camps in the hills. More recently, the expansion of the Jedi and the defenseless Twi’lek Pilgrims seem to have drawn the Flesh Raiders into the valleys. No one knows where the Flesh Raiders came from. Some speculate they were once a civilized people, driven to cannibalism and madness over years of isolation. Others fear they are the result of dark side experiments. Whatever their origins, the Flesh Raiders have only grown more powerful and numerous over the years, and they are quickly becoming a blight on Tython.

: Die, murderers!

: Master Weller? We’ve driven those monsters out of the immediate area.

: You’re unharmed -- good. Flesh Raider shot me in the leg while I was rescuing some padawans. Don’t know where these things got blasters, but they know how to use them. I’ve been evacuated to a medcenter, but the fighting isn’t over.
: I’ll push back the enemy, whatever it takes.
: We need to stop them at the source. Another padawan found a cave tunnel the Flesh Raiders used to enter this valley. I need you at that tunnel, making sure the Flesh Raiders don’t get any more reinforcements through it.
: Not sure what you expect me to do by myself.
: You won’t be alone long. Master Orgus Din is on his way there, too. We need to end this conflict before anyone else gets hurt. Find the tunnel along the mountain range. May the Force be with you.

: This must be it.

[A green filter in front of an area means that it’s an instance. Unlike the overworld, enemies won’t respawn in there, and the map can change due to cutscenes. It’s a big part of how The Old Republic tries to thread the needle between the MMO and the RPG.]

: Gotta admit, for a training weapon this thing is surprisingly lethal!

: And I see these things have made themselves right at home. Is that …? Oh, yep, big ol’ pile of bones. Fantastic.

: Stop struggling, padawan. Your life was over the moment you set foot here.
: You are Jedi. Why would you kill me?
: Because the order must evolve -- and you are weak.

: Whoever you are, step away from that padawan.

: Hey, creepo, I gave you an order.
: Hmm. You are ... dangerous. You killed my soldiers.
: Soldiers?
: He commands the Flesh Raiders attacking us!
: Not attacking -- cleansing. And we have only begun.

: Lay down your weapons. I don't want to hurt you.

: The old order is dead. Long live the new order!
: What in the world does that mean?
: It means I’m going to kill you now. You are outnumbered three to one and all you’ve got is a training saber.
: Well you may have a lightsaber, but you’re obviously not a Jedi. If you were, you’d know that training sabers …

: Can still deflect blaster bolts back to their source …

: And can even knock back a lightsaber blade! So if I were you I would stay down.
: …
: Uh hey, are you … oh he’s dead.
: That was amazing. I thought we were dead.
: Yeah, thanks for your help in that fight, by the way.
: What? All I did was stay out of the way.
: Yeah, that’s my point.

: You two alright? What happened here?
: This Jedi attacked us, Master Orgus. He was sick ... confused.

quote:

A grizzled Jedi Master who's fought more battles with the Sith than any other living member of the order, Master Orgus Din was an eyewitness to the Sacking of Coruscant. The destruction of the Jedi Temple, along with the loss of his Padawan Bengel Morr, hardened him. Now considered a maverick among his peers, Orgus prefers to leave meditation, debate, and diplomacy to the Jedi Council while he goes out and gets things done.

Despite his sometimes abrasive nature, there are many among the order who respect Orgus as a man of action. Yet even though he would be the first to proclaim that the Jedi need more individuals like himself, Orgus is still haunted by what he's seen and has refused to take on a new Padawan for many years.

: Thank the Force that you‘re both safe. This man's no Jedi -- at least, not one of us.

: Clearly. He organized the attack on the training grounds. Called the Flesh Raiders his "soldiers."
: I warned the Council these natives aren‘t mindless beasts. This is proof.

: This lightsaber... there‘s something familiar about it. Strange.
: Master?
: You held off all these attackers by yourself with only a practice saber? Impressive.
: I followed my instincts, that‘s all. :smug:
: They served you well. This battle's over. but we don't want any more Flesh Raiders coming through here.

: That should hold them back. for now.
: I can see why you're a Jedi Master.
: When you get as old as me, you learn a few tricks.
: I'm injured, Master Orgus. Are the training grounds safe for travel?
: Not yet. I'll get you to a medcenter.

: Hey, what about me?
: You seem alright to travel alone. Report to the Jedi Council.
: This valley isn't safe yet! I don't feel good about leaving.
: We have Jedi Knights rooting out the last attackers. You're needed elsewhere. Follow the path leading out of this valley. You'll find the Jedi Temple through the mountain pass. See you there.
: A lift would be … oh they’re gone.

[A long hike later …]

[People who have played the game before will no doubt have noticed that there were a couple side quests in this area that are being skipped. And that’s probably going to happen a lot; trying to show off every, or even most, of the area side quests would take forever. Most of them are just “kill x number of enemies” or “interact with x number of things” bookended by dialogue. Don’t get me wrong, I like the dialogue; it’s probably why this is the only MMO I’ve ever been able to stick with, despite trying all of the major ones and losing interest 10-20 levels in. We’ll make an effort to show off any particularly interesting, unique, or important ones, though.]

: You know, this place is actually kind of pretty when it’s not full of slavering monster people. Oh, wow.

: You’ve finally made it to the big time, Brea’loras’tari.

: Who would be calling me here?

: Padawan -- l'm Satele Shan, leader of the Jedi Council. I'd like to speak privately with you before we meet with the others.
: Have I done something wrong?
: No, and don't worry. This will be an informal meeting. Come to my meditation room in the temple. We'll talk there.

: Double wow.

: Oh, I’m sorry, master! I didn’t mean to interrupt your … glowing.

quote:

Grand Master of the Jedi Order and leader of the Jedi Council, Satele Shan was born on the Core World of Brentaal IV and is descended from legendary Jedi Bastila Shan. Both a gifted warrior and wise teacher, Satele was personally responsible for rediscovering Tython and its hyperspace route. Ever since, she has devoted herself to the Jedi resettlement of Tython and the revitalization of the order.

Satele has played a key role in recent galactic history in other ways, as well. She fought on the front lines of several major battles -- including the battles of Alderaan and Rhen Var -- and was present as a Padawan during the Imperial retaking of Korriban, the first modern contact between the Sith Empire and the Republic. She is greatly respected by certain members of the Republic military, and her advice is often sought by the Supreme Chancellor. In person, Satele's strength in the Force is matched with a keen intelligence and a subtle sense of humor.

: Welcome. Padawan. The temple is already buzzing with accounts of your heroism in the training grounds. Master Orgus told me you battled Flesh Raiders -- and a Force user armed with a lightsaber. That must have been a disturbing confrontation. Are you alright?
: I'm sorry things ended in violence, but I'm glad to be alive.
: Taking a life affects the Living Force -- and the one who does the killing. This is why Jedi enter battles calmly, with reason. Emotions like fear and anger lead to the dark side.
: l can control my feelings, no matter what I'm facing.
: As the Jedi Code teaches us, “there is no emotion, there is peace." Remember those words when times are darkest. And take this. The code is a source of strength, but some backup never hurts. I'll see you soon in the Council chambers.

: Thank you, Master Shan! I’ll put it to good use.
: Hopefully not, padawan.

: *various swooshing noises*
: And now I get to go talk to the whole Jedi Council? After only being on-planet for a few hours! Best. Day. Ever.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 23, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Moon Slayer posted:

Sith Pureblood

The original inhabitants of Korriban, the Sith interbred with the first Dark Jedi who were banished after the Order’s first schism. Notable members of this species: nope, we’re deep into Legends territory here.

NOTE: Don’t vote for this! I know a light-side Sith pureblood Jedi could make for an interesting take, but I’ve got plans for this character that wouldn’t mesh well with this choice. I’m only including it for completion’s sake. Sorry.

I'm really curious to see what you do with it since I do have Pureblood Jedi and Smugglers. I remember way back when it was announced that Republic characters could be Purebloods with the unlock and the SWTOR forums having a meltdown just over the idea of a Pureblood Jedi running around. Not surprisingly, I still occasionally have someone have their toon emote something like 'spit' at mine when I've had to go to Fleet for whatever reason.

achtungnight posted:

Wookies, droids, and Trandoshans are my favorite Star Wars races. Too bad we can’t play them.

Closest you could gimmick a Droid would be to pick Cyborg and use the more robotic parts looking armor as cosmetics. Wouldn't be perfect but it's something.

Moon Slayer posted:

Also I forgot to mention that species has very little impact on dialogue in this game, but it does have some. Usually it's a difference between a "human" and an "alien" line, but very occasionally the player character's species gets referenced directly.

I know why this isn't much of a thing and why they'll likely never add it in to older content, but drat I wish they did more with it. I think the one that does make the most of it is Imperial Agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think the one that does make the most of it is Imperial Agent.

Chiss Imperial Agents and Pureblood Sith (both classes) get a decent amount. Miraluka Jedi and Twi'lek Smugglers also get a few lines from what I've seen.

Imperial-aligned Cathar also get some race-specific dialogue much later in the game, and Chiss Force-users of every class get a line or two much, MUCH later.

May as well note for the record that while I won't be a major contributor to the LP owing to the time obligation, I have made a boosted character on Satele Shan to throw in for group content should one be needed.

For anyone who does have the time available, I believe this thread still needs a Smuggler.