Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Yesterday Sweden had its first confirmed case and today my region had its first snow in months.

Am I dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Svensken posted:

Yesterday Sweden had its first confirmed case and today my region had its first snow in months.

Am I dead

coronavirus still has a lot of work to do if it wants to catch up with big daddy Spanish Flu

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Rutibex posted:

coronavirus still has a lot of work to do if it wants to catch up with big daddy Spanish Flu

build the wall

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tarquinn posted:

Thanks! :tipshat:

Have to look up that movie.

It’s a good movie. The virus even comes from a bat!

Outbreak is good too. A little dated but still good.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Scimitar Horned Oryx. Extinct in the wild but at the time could be found on Texas high fenced hunting ranches. Then the law got changed and it wasn't legal to hunt them anymore because of their status so most places got rid of them and they just became extinct.

Wow.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

spanish flu survived through a summer, then mutated into a more dangerous form and flared up a second time starting in august, which is when it actually started to get bad. the year is young

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a natgeo tv movie mini-series called "the hot zone" (I think) that's worth a watch. Good casting, about the Reston, VA ebola scare a couple of decades ago. Topher Grace, Julianne Marguiles, that guy that was Jim Carrey's friend in the Truman Show. Pretty decent for a tv thing.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/chinadaily/status/1232960609257287680?s=21

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

poverty goat posted:

spanish flu survived through a summer, then mutated into a more dangerous form and flared up a second time starting in august, which is when it actually started to get bad. the year is young

Yeah iirc it started off as a bit of a joke virus, it was the 2nd time around that like 50 million people died. If covid mutates then things could get really loving scary.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

lol did someone post the guy claiming that drinking his special bleach will protect you?

I mean, it's technically true that if you drink enough bleach you won't get coronavirus

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Tarquinn posted:

Thanks! :tipshat:

Have to look up that movie.

Keep in mind that it's terrifyingly realistic.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BORN TO QUACK / WORLD IS A DUCK / Eat Em All 1989 / I am bill man / 410,757,864,530 DEAD LOCUSTS

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

BORN TO QUACK / WORLD IS A DUCK / Eat Em All 1989 / I am bill man / 410,757,864,530 DEAD LOCUSTS

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

This Dr. No prequel series lookin' good.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Monkey Fracas posted:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dravs posted:

Yeah iirc it started off as a bit of a joke virus, it was the 2nd time around that like 50 million people died. If covid mutates then things could get really loving scary.

I'm currently reading the excellent The Great Influenza. It didn't start out as a joke at all. The first significant outbreak (they think) was in an Army camp, Camp Funston, in February 1918. and they had 1100 soldiers sick enough to be on sick call, and more who weren't officially counted as sick. There were only 38 deaths, but it wasn't a joke. Generals were seriously worried about the majority of their troops being too sick to fight. In May in France, at a station of 1018 French army recruits, 688 had to be hospitalized and 49 died. By May the best epidemiologists/medical researchers in the US were worried and doing their best to track data and outbreaks.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also that part where there is no one to sell the ducks to since all the processing plants are closed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Pandemic simulation game Plague Inc. pulled from iOS App Store in China
Authorities offer vague statement alleging "content that is illegal in China."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/02/pandemic-simulation-game-plague-inc-pulled-from-ios-app-store-in-china/

Maybe if they included the 9-dash line on the map they can get re-listed.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Coronavirus: Japan to close all schools to halt spread

Just got a message from a Japanese schoolteacher friend about this.

tl;dr - it's not as drastic as the headline would make you think (it's near the end of the academic year now anyways, so basically they're saying school will be closed the last ~10 days and then also will be closed during spring holidays), the report speculates that the government feels the need to take big, public measures if they want to hold on to the idea of doing the summer Olympics.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
That's loving stupid, chickens are 110% better locust eaters

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Kharnifex posted:

Chickens will eat almost anything they can kill, and they can kill more things than you'd think.
I once saw a group of chickens brutally murder a snake. Not a large one, but up until then I'd assumed that wasn't how it went.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Ducks are good for slugs, chooks for moving targets

Typical Chinese bullshit

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Kharnifex posted:

No I am :moonrio:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Atopian posted:

Chickens will eat almost anything they can kill, and they can kill more things than you'd think.
I once saw a group of chickens brutally murder a snake. Not a large one, but up until then I'd assumed that wasn't how it went.
Remember that, while chickens are dumb-as-rocks prey animals we eat at every stage of their life cycle, they still have some T-Rex DNA in there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

Remember that, while chickens are dumb-as-rocks prey animals we eat at every stage of their life cycle, they still have some T-Rex DNA in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBFXzyp3sks

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Shumagorath posted:

If you didn't hear Mr. DNA exclaim "Dino DNA!" as you read that post, then go gently caress yourself.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

D-Pad posted:

Scimitar Horned Oryx. Extinct in the wild but at the time could be found on Texas high fenced hunting ranches. Then the law got changed and it wasn't legal to hunt them anymore because of their status so most places got rid of them and they just became extinct.

yeah Oryx and Crake owns

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

That chicken knew what the gently caress it was doing. Not this amateur hour poo poo from the cat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bamhand posted:

That chicken knew what the gently caress it was doing. Not this amateur hour poo poo from the cat.
Cats like to toy with their prey. The other day I saw a cat chase a flying bug and snatch it from the air and then intentionally release it so it could keep chasing the bug

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah they do that with anything they can.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Mr. Mittens once caught and ate a roach and then sat meowing at the spot on the wall where he had last seen it hoping more would appear. Then he started begging me to help.

He was not the smartest cat.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Mr. Mittens once caught and ate a roach and then sat meowing at the spot on the wall where he had last seen it hoping more would appear. Then he started begging me to help.

He was not the smartest cat.

Soju brings me half dead mice/birds, then meows pitifully for me to come take a look. Two mice have survived the night and been released far away the next day.

Mandu (:rip:) brought me half a cooked sausage. I miss my dumb trash cat. :(

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sun Yang just ate an 8 year ban :redhammer: on his doping appeal, that ought to pretty much end his career. Get ready for hurt feelings on hurt feelings on hurt feelings

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Pandemic simulation game Plague Inc. pulled from iOS App Store in China
Authorities offer vague statement alleging "content that is illegal in China."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/02/pandemic-simulation-game-plague-inc-pulled-from-ios-app-store-in-china/

Maybe if they included the 9-dash line on the map they can get re-listed.

the game actually became the #1 game on the app store in China right before CNY started and the virus news was starting to break.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Known Lecher posted:

Sun Yang just ate an 8 year ban :redhammer: on his doping appeal, that ought to pretty much end his career. Get ready for hurt feelings on hurt feelings on hurt feelings

Mack Horton (the Australian swimmer who called out Sun Yang for doping) still gets really nasty comments on his instagram from butthurt mainlanders to this day:

quote:

Is the fire out in Australia?😁😁😁

quote:

you must be break up or divorce with your girlfriend

quote:

Swim faster! Then you can be able to drink Sun Yang’s foot-wash water!

quote:

Is your mother all right?I saw her in my brothel with a dog

quote:

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩⚰️⚰️⚰️⚰️⚰️⚰️

quote:

I think marvel can create a new villian called: drug man horton😂

quote:

Your mom said you're my son

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I imagined all of those being spoken by Jian Yang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agXDYYOA-f8

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mack Horton (the Australian swimmer who called out Sun Yang for doping) still gets really nasty comments on his instagram from butthurt mainlanders to this day:

Man, these are weak. You'd think they could at least manage something creative.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Well this aged poorly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMdg4morQs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

loving :lol:

My friend got a call from a mainland China number last evening. He outright blocked it without answering it. He's in full :fuckoff: mode now, which I think is showing amazing progress.

The company he has his RRSP with "somehow" lost" the recorded conversation his wife had with their employee. He's 90% sure they just started the transfer process without following their own security procedures, so there isn't really a way to prove fraud. It was headed towards their joint account, so her plan was to keep withdrawing from it from China, hoping he never shut her out.

Also the bank said that there were a few attempts to withdraw funds from the joint account with a "stolen" card from China. (he reported her card for the joint account stolen)