Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm curious, were the gentle revs part of the diagnostic process, or did you ID the horrible noise right away and therefore know to build oil pressure to make it stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I didn't know what to expect but went in with two assumptions:

- dealer mechanics are not competent
- if it really is hosed, revving it won't change anything

As soon as I heard the noise it sounded the same as every other flappy cam chain I've ever heard, so I just gave it a go.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's quite the deal! Makes sense though, if you were already figuring the engine is hosed and you'd be getting a new one, may as well give revving it a shot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
*adds "gently caress it" to the troubleshooting list*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Always attempt the Italian Tune-Up

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Always attempt the Italian Tune-Up

Is that the one where you try to fix your wife up with your mistress's husband so she won't have her lover poison you?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

as the owner of a stupid KTM with stupid hydraulic cam chain tensioners that is Good poo poo :D

not an emptyquote

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

After two trips to work and back over two weeks, (only one of which it was on) I found my helmet cameras lens split in half.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just got rear-ended coming back from the shops. I'd stopped for a pedestrian at a zebra crossing (only saw them late in the dark, briefly considered not stopping) and someone pulled out of a side road right into me. It was only a minor bump but cracked my scottoiler reservoir so I ended up pissing blue goo all over the road. Lost my cool somewhat but the guy offered to pay for the damage, so that's nice.

Anyway the moral of the story is never give way to pedestrians. It's them or us!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't screaming at the car driver with righteous fury just the most satisfying thing though?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I gotta say yeah, really. It was good to get it out of my system quick cause now I'm chilling at home with a drink and feeling pretty okay instead of silently fuming like "man I shoulda yelled at that guy some more".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

I gotta say yeah, really. It was good to get it out of my system quick cause now I'm chilling at home with a drink and feeling pretty okay instead of silently fuming like "man I shoulda yelled at that guy some more".

How are you doing now that the adrenaline wore off? It tends to hide injuries really well, especially rage induced adrenaline :ssj:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fine honestly, it really was just a bump. Checked the bike over and nothing else is even tweaked, so I'm assuming he mostly hit me in the back tyre and just tapped my plate enough to crack the chain oil tank, which is all of £40 to replace.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've found it: the most useless thing in the galaxy.

The BMW g310 GS has a rubber mounted plastic bash plate.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Slavvy posted:

I've found it: the most useless thing in the galaxy.

The BMW g310 GS has a rubber mounted plastic bash plate.

The Zero S/SR line has a plastic bash plate. It's guarding an AC charger unit immediately inside which is hard mounted to the bike's 14.4kWh battery pack.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I just had the weirdest car interaction. I was coming up on the left turn into my place, cars were coming from the opposite direction, so I stopped well in the center lane to wait, only to have the car at the front of the oncoming group come to a complete stop, holding up cars behind them, and wave to me to turn. I was very confused as I thought they were slowing to make a right turn themselves. I just raised my hand back confusedly signalling something to the effect of "what the hell," and they moved on.

Like, I can't even get upset about it because they obviously watched for motorcycles, and apparently were trying to do a good thing, but... what the hell

I got it all on video but it's really not worth editing, that's the full extent of what happened.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I just had the weirdest car interaction. I was coming up on the left turn into my place, cars were coming from the opposite direction, so I stopped well in the center lane to wait, only to have the car at the front of the oncoming group come to a complete stop, holding up cars behind them, and wave to me to turn. I was very confused as I thought they were slowing to make a right turn themselves. I just raised my hand back confusedly signalling something to the effect of "what the hell," and they moved on.

Like, I can't even get upset about it because they obviously watched for motorcycles, and apparently were trying to do a good thing, but... what the hell

I got it all on video but it's really not worth editing, that's the full extent of what happened.

Was it one of those situations where traffic was congested in the other direction so he was letting you thru?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

mewse posted:

Was it one of those situations where traffic was congested in the other direction so he was letting you thru?
Nope everything was clear in all directions.

I'm so used to aggressive driving that aggressively non-aggressive driving like that throws my "how close am I to death right now" processing unit way off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Around here this happens more frequently than the opposite, usually for pedestrians. People think they're somehow being nice letting a guy walk across the street while a hundred other people behind them all have to slam on their brakes.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've had a few of those at a 4 way stop. Car will get to one of the perpendicular lanes to me, stop, and wave me through before I have a chance to completely stop. Being nice breaks traffic rules :argh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nope everything was clear in all directions.

I'm so used to aggressive driving that aggressively non-aggressive driving like that throws my "how close am I to death right now" processing unit way off.

I've had that happen as a pedestrian in small town BC. Waiting to cross the street, not at a crosswalk, waiting to judge the gap and make a run for it. Cars both directions slow down and stop. I'm like, what the gently caress, are they waiting to rev up and run me down? Can they smell the city slicker on me? How do I know how fast I need to run if they're stopped?? No, apparently that's just a thing you do out there. I'm so used to nearly being vehicularly homicided just for existing as a pedestrian in my city, I still think back on that as uncomfortably weird.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

That's one thing I liked about the culture of the northeast US. The cars don't stop for nobody. You find a gap in traffic and make your break for it. No negotiation needed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Good on you for waiting. That’s how you get taken out by someone in the right lane or an angry shoulder passer.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Around here this happens more frequently than the opposite, usually for pedestrians. People think they're somehow being nice letting a guy walk across the street while a hundred other people behind them all have to slam on their brakes.

It's common in the UK too, people will even do it on a dual carriageway while the other lane on their side continues to see fast moving traffic so that you can't even actually take them up on their offer.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's common in the UK too, people will even do it on a dual carriageway while the other lane on their side continues to see fast moving traffic so that you can't even actually take them up on their offer.

Yeah or a car with nobody behind them stopping for you so it would have been faster for them to drive past as now you've had to wait for them to stop.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A while back I was riding through town on a 4-lane and a car in the lane next to me stopped and waved a pedestrian across a metered crosswalk, which was at the moment a red light for the pedestrian, and with two lanes of oncoming traffic that was not stopping. I saw what was happening in plenty of time and noisily locked up the rear on purpose, which scared the poo poo out of the pedestrian and the driver who waved them across. I hope they all learned something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

High Protein posted:

Yeah or a car with nobody behind them stopping for you so it would have been faster for them to drive past as now you've had to wait for them to stop.

I’ve been guilty of this for inexplicable reasons. Always like “hey I’ll be a nice guy and let him in and — oh no one behind me why did I do that?”

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Went to get the DRZ emission tested today.

PO had removed the secondary air system so the NOx emissions are through the roof.

Now getting a catalytic converter welded in (to probably subsequently remove in 6mo)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Went to get the DRZ emission tested today.

PO had removed the secondary air system so the NOx emissions are through the roof.

Now getting a catalytic converter welded in (to probably subsequently remove in 6mo)

Reported for war crimes.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Reported for war crimes.

It now runs but feels so sad. Will get a full system replacement soon.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Went and fired up the XR650R today after parking it since December. Such a good bike. I guess I should probably just keep it until I live in a state that will let me get a totally legitimate plate on it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I have been chasing a loving vibration / buzz that happens right at 4300rpm - 4500rpm and has been happening for probably the past month or so since I did the spark plugs on my 1290

I did the following to it in an attempt to find the loving vibration over the past four weeks:

checked every single loving exposed fastener (couple mildly loose ones, but nothing that'd cause an annoying sound)

replaced a kickstand pad

pulled the tank to remove some shielding / ducting that I thought might be causing the vibration

pulled the tank AGAIN to remove MORE shielding that I thought might be causing the vibration

PULLED THE loving TANK A THIRD TIME to check poo poo like the rad mounts and all the less exposed fasteners

and then loving finally this weekend I pulled my skid plate + MY ENITRE exhaust system (and cleaned it cause I needed to justify pulling it) and found the loving thing causing the vibrations. it was the sacrificial member for the skidplate mounted to the bottom of the engine that for god knows what raisin I forgot to torque back down after pulling the skid plate + plugs a month ago or so :rant:

good news is the bike sounds so much quieter now between the new countershaft sprocket, chain, and the lack of that thing loving rattling at 4300rpm though and I can now pull a 1290's tank in less than 15' which is even more good news for myself as I will have to pull the loving tank again to replace all the shielding / ducting I pulled lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i had one of those on my CL350 that sounded for all the world like it was coming from the top end of the engine. a rattling, clattering noise that only happened at one specific RPM and only when the bike was in motion. felt really sick about it because it started just after I'd rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up after one of the pistons blew a hole. figured i'd hosed something up really bad.

took it to the one shop out here that does old bikes, expecting to be told i'd installed the valves backwards or something. the guy rode it down the street and back, went into the shop, came out with a roll of duct tape, and taped the speedometer cable onto the fender where it was bouncing back and forth at one specific RPM and making a rattling, clattering noise. fixed

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol it’s such a good feeling when it’s fixed. I almost had someone else take a look at it but then I remembered all the poo poo I had pulled beneath the tank and I did not want to reveal my shame to anyone

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I once owned bike that would make noises from the sprocket area but only when turning a certain way or bouncing over particular bumps. I replaced the chain and sprockets, which were needed anyway, didn't fix it. Fooled around with rear pads, disc, bearings, chain guard mudguard suspension just couldn't find anything wrong.

Then I got a puncture, so I took the tyre off and a 9mm spanner fell out :iiam:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The only thing I can think of is someone was using that spanner to get the tire back on and got it eaten in the process and was like; welp, it's the bike's now.

:psyboom:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i had one of those on my CL350 that sounded for all the world like it was coming from the top end of the engine. a rattling, clattering noise that only happened at one specific RPM and only when the bike was in motion. felt really sick about it because it started just after I'd rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up after one of the pistons blew a hole. figured i'd hosed something up really bad.

took it to the one shop out here that does old bikes, expecting to be told i'd installed the valves backwards or something. the guy rode it down the street and back, went into the shop, came out with a roll of duct tape, and taped the speedometer cable onto the fender where it was bouncing back and forth at one specific RPM and making a rattling, clattering noise. fixed

I had a CL125 that I slapped a scrambler pipe on.
Right after I rebuilt the motor, the heat shield decided to bust loose from one of it's bolt holes and I thought I I had completely hosed the entire bike by trying to hit 60mph.

Never did do anything about the noise...

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
In Seattle I commute in a yellow aero stitch suit, small backpack, modular helmet, heated jacket controller dangling off the suit. Basic grey-beard-dad-commuter bike and/or astronaut apparel.

I got into the elevator today and when the door opened for a person coming into the elevator on another floor, she exclaimed “oh my god” and turned pale before stepping into the elevator. She then apologized.

She thought I was in a hazmat suit, and was there because someone had Coronavirus. She panicked before realizing it was just motorcycle clothes.

I’m in high viz to be seen, not scare people. :ohdear:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:hmbol: that's the best thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I once owned bike that would make noises from the sprocket area but only when turning a certain way or bouncing over particular bumps. I replaced the chain and sprockets, which were needed anyway, didn't fix it. Fooled around with rear pads, disc, bearings, chain guard mudguard suspension just couldn't find anything wrong.

Then I got a puncture, so I took the tyre off and a 9mm spanner fell out :iiam:
I salute you, New Zealand mechanics, that's a pretty good one. Not sure I've seen worse, although I did see a GS550 with the fuel lines from the tank hooked up to the vent hoses on the carbs. It actually ran and rode in that way.