Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wait funding is actually still going up on this?

What is wrong with these people? Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

hail satan and his pineapple ways

The "i"s on the Caution sign looking like small "L"s is triggering me :psyboom:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Dementropy posted:

:trustme: : Greetings to you, the special recipient of this ticket.

From Mr. Chris Roberts! I warmly shake your hand! Upon purchase of a Roberts Space Industry Spaceship, I do invite you to a private showing of my next creation and the opportunity to participate in its development over the next 24 months. Once completed, you will receive a very special equipment package that only the golden ticket holders are entitled to.

Once completed.

It would be remiss of me not to point out, they undoubtably meant EDT and not EST on that ticket.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

The "i"s on the Caution sign looking like small "L"s is triggering me :psyboom:

it's a tier zero font

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Super-Id posted:

The grift here is so blatantly obvious. Of the "flyable" ships in the game what's the average completeness of their functionality (mining, combat, exploration, etc), excluding the ship geometry killing you before you can reach the turret or whatever? Is it better than 25%?

There are no mechanics in the game, so there's certainly no mechanics on the ships. By advertising the ships as having roles, they're implying that the game has mechanics for those roles. It does not. Except mining, which I think is pointing your spaceman at a rock and hitting a button.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

it's a tier zero font

:boom:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

it's a tier zero font

It's beautiful and I swear to god if it's changed for the final version I'm starting up /r/lovepledge_refunds

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

wow thats crazy!
and THIS chris roberts has some excellent stuff in his cv.
yeah he must have been with psygnosis back then with all the wipeout titles.

this studio could really achieve something AND crobberts could then claim it was made by chris roberts that is friggin hilarious

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popete posted:

Sunk Cost Fallacy. They are doubling down? Or just roping in new people with the shill pieces and marketing.

As the saying goes, there is one born every minute, so that's potentially a new backer born every minute.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

That take is so bad I almost wish we could go back to slur chat.

It's ok we can.

So remember that presentation Chris Roberts did when he was half pissed and slurring his words?

Buy an Idris

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

it's a tier zero font

Needs to be monospaced.

$232 _Million_ dollars ago;

It never ceases to amuse me.

Popete posted:

There's a sucker born every minute. Build a big and echoey enough echo chamber and you can get away with stuff.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I just finished watching Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet on Apple +, which is a comedy show that basically smashes It's always sunny in Philidelphia type humor into a game development studio setting, where they are developing a game that is obviously supposed to be Wow, kind of an "Always sunny in Azeroth" type situation. The season is filled with over the top situations and complete failures from staff, ect. It has dawned on me that the comically dysfunctional (and fictional) game studio actually has better fundamentals and practices than CIG appears to have in real life.

Also the girls who code episode almost made me poo poo myself.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

:reddit: 2: Publishers provide nothing. What they do is force developers to release games early in a buggy and rushed state for the sake of the bottom dollar. If you really believe that publishers are good for the industry, I would like to know which publishers are paying you and how much?

Spoken like someone who has no idea how the real world works. Someone who has drunk the CR kool aid.

I wonder how many good games they have played over the years that were developed thanks to publishers, that would never have been released without a publisher. I wonder if they played and like Freelancer, which was release eventually thanks to a publisher and no thanks to CR.

I have to say (again), some of these people deserve what they get.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fargom posted:

I just finished watching Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet on Apple +, which is a comedy show that basically smashes It's always sunny in Philidelphia type humor into a game development studio setting, where they are developing a game that is obviously supposed to be Wow, kind of an "Always sunny in Azeroth" type situation. The season is filled with over the top situations and complete failures from staff, ect. It has dawned on me that the comically dysfunctional (and fictional) game studio actually has better fundamentals and practices than CIG appears to have in real life.

Also the girls who code episode almost made me poo poo myself.
Given some of the utter failures and baffling decisions from stuff like star citizen, mass effect andromeda, anthem, and ffxiv 1.0; a comedy about game development seems a natural thing to make.
There are so many examples of absurd/comedic situations in game development to reenact in a comedy setting.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Spoken like someone who has no idea how the real world works. Someone who has drunk the CR kool aid.

It's a fairly common viewpoint. People generally don't understand motivation beyond some fairly simple concepts. Like people think that ascending through the ranks of a corporation doesn't come with a bunch of learning and trying to make sure that everyone is pulling in the same direction. Bureaucrats are usually attacked as being meaningless, right up until someone tries to half-arse the job and civilization collapses.

Pharohman777 posted:

There are so many examples of absurd/comedic situations in game development to reenact in a comedy setting.

Some of Silicon Valley was way, way on the nose. Gaming development can only be 'better'.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

There's a new patch on the PTU

Highlighted the most egregious ones.

Needless to say this is going to go live in a couple of days with none of these issues fixed.

Looks like the patch has gone to the live servers.

Glad they cleared up this gigantic list of bugs since *checks notes* ...yesterday! Oh, they didn't? They just documented that their game is unbelievably broken and then kicked it out the door? Gosh, that doesn't sound like their test environment is working as intended at all. What kind of company would do that? Probably one that knows a lot more about game development than me.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also the "Explorer Pack" went from $695 to $1,100 in the store.

Carrack went from $300 to $600, and $645 if you want it painted white

Haha gently caress you, backers

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Dementropy posted:

:trustme: : Greetings to you, the special recipient of this ticket.

From Mr. Chris Roberts! I warmly shake your hand! Upon purchase of a Roberts Space Industry Spaceship, I do invite you to a private showing of my next creation and the opportunity to participate in its development over the next 24 months. Once completed, you will receive a very special equipment package that only the golden ticket holders are entitled to.

Once completed.

Chris Roberts and the JPEG Factory

- Mike AMD gets digitized and must glitch about in the 'verse until some long ignored bugs preventing his rescue are corrected. He is not persistent and is periodically reset.
- Veruca Salt climbs onto machine that Sandi uses to assess snowflake levels and is deemed a FUD spreading refundian and is banned permanently.
- Violet Beauregarde eats an unattended bag of Tim Tams and chokes until she turns blue. She respawns but has no corporeal form and clips through everything.
- Augustus Gloop is a developer often seen stress eating with Erin. He eats until he becomes fused with his airplane desk and chair.
- Charlie Bucket is super fan who is given a cushy job at the JPEG Factory until his website of "funny jokes" is found. He now collects napkin doodles made by Chris Roberts at a local Cracker Barrel in 1992.

Tsar Mikey fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 27, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is there a concept ship where I can mine said pineapples?

The RSI Bromelain Epsilon

It comes with a 100 terawatts plucking beam.

But you'll also need a specialized transport for the fruit. Early days.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

[*] The original ship was like $300 but these days they don't want to sell it for less than $500. But they already sold it to a bunch of fuckers who didn't give Chris all of the money he would like them to give to him! How to resolve this dilemma? With an "Exclusive skin" available for new money only, of course! The skin will also probably include weapon upgrades. Sorry, people who gave us 300 bucks and waited patiently for six years for the ship to be delivered- it's time to pay the Crobbler again or geeeet hosed.
[/list]

Really the best part of CIG is how horribly, horribly money hungry they are and how nothing seems "too low" or "too dirty" for them to take in the course of making money. The people who could complain can't because they'll get drowned out/ignored/closed/banned forever, and there's nothing that can be done to get other people to realize they're getting taken for a ride.

That CIG makes it seem like database entries are in short demand only make it better. Better get your DB entry today for this ship. There's only so many before they run out of inserts then it's game over!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pixelate posted:

*EFFORT POST INCOMING*

Archiveception posted:

another tidbit.
croberts doesn't beleive in normal maps. he thinks their cheating. no normal maps, model it in geometry! drat the torpedoes and melt those graphics cards!
you cant mip verts, so sparklys and poo poo performance for everyone! what are LODs? low resolution geometry??? no! not the fidelity! No lod's! no normal maps!
its possible he doesn't even know what a normal map is anyway. if an artist used them they had to be very silent about it lest they anger the beast.

I was never tempted to buy in, but one of the early videos of Chris touting the massive poly count of the ships was a huge red flag. People cared about poly counts in the 90s, but nobody gives a poo poo any more.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I know this is offtopic , but I realized today, Resetera is hilariously over the top cult-ish in regard to Star Citizen, even moreso than the subreddit, if you can believe that.
I mean, on-the-spot 5-day - 2-week bans for "drive-by-troll-shitposting" , for comments like "ok, but will it ever release?"
Also, from the mod comments, it seems those guys also do that whole reddit thing of scouring your post history, because there's a lot of "previous history of similar shitposts about Star Citizen" cropping up.
Huh, one more echo - chamber to avoid, I guess.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

That CIG makes it seem like database entries are in short demand only make it better. Better get your DB entry today for this ship. There's only so many before they run out of inserts then it's game over!

:lol:

Bonus points for charging more for a ship that's "painted" white.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Did Coronavirus inspire Roberts to add the pathogen system?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's so simple guyz!

quote:

:confuoot: So I have the Exploration 2948 pack which comes with the Carrack, and I upgraded the Dragonfly in that pack to the Pisces Expedition. I can now upgrade the Carrack to the expedition variant, but what do I do about the Pisces I already upgraded?

:reject: Why did you upgrade the dragonfly into a pisces when it comes with the carrack free? I guess you could use it to CCU to a different ship.

:confuoot: Upgraded to the Pisces Expedition, not the regular Pisces.

:reject: Why didn't you just buy the pisces upgrade itself and apply it to the carrack back then and not waste it a dragonfly. That's how I did mine. Were you aware that pisces is included in the carrack before upgrading the dragonfly?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

There are no mechanics in the game, so there's certainly no mechanics on the ships. By advertising the ships as having roles, they're implying that the game has mechanics for those roles. It does not. Except mining, which I think is pointing your spaceman at a rock and hitting a button.

This is what makes it so obvious in my opinion. The entire concept of this game is all of the "roles," which they are tying to the ships. It's all about all of these different future space lifestyles you can live. It's like time shares in space on private space ships + power fantasy. That's what people are buying. If you just look at the ships without even taking into account any of the rest of the game of Star Citizen they haven't delivered anything in near on a decade with hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's impossible for them to finish this game. People say they can release what exists now or something close to it, and I agree that is likely to happen eventually, but for them to ever deliver on what they've been selling people for years would probably require another decade, and the only way they can fund that is by continuing to grow the scam. But if they grow the scam they have to keep adding new things to sell which means the goal just gets further away.

I realize this is evident to pretty much everyone here but Star Citizen failed a long time ago, it's impossible for it to succeed in any meaningful way at this point.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

They structured the original website pledges around a sliding scale;

https://web.archive.org/web/20121015042706/http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

I can believe the ship sales pledges weren't a scam at this point. I'm glad I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Star Citizen or it's entirely possible I would have bought in back then.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

NoMas posted:

Did Coronavirus inspire Roberts to add the pathogen system?

Oh for hell sakes, one of his ships can contain and find a cure.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
People who applied the bait and switch skin or the Carrack power creep upgrade now have no ship at all.

Also, it seems like they are already starting to build hype for a new mega whale capital-class luxury ship. Considering the Javelin was $2500, I'm thinking it'll be $3k, at least.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/2xvuo3musdjpzr/source/CloudImperiumGames_StarCitizen_OriginAnnouncement.png

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
maybe they'll actually go to GDC this year since every loving game company is pulling out

floor space has got to be cheap as gently caress now

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Some quick math that shows why SC makes as much money as it does...

$1,000,000 / $645 (per Carrack) = ~1,550 people

They only need to sell that many new Carracks to make a million dollars.

It doesn't matter that SC's population is tiny. It doesn't matter that nothing in the game will ever appeal to anyone outside of them. They have their target market and that market will fund them forever.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Did anything ever happen with those land claims they sold some time ago?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Remember that time at the German Citcon where Sandi sang the wrong anthem?

To this day I'm a little peeved that CIG managed to completely scrub that from the internet.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I sincerely look forward to this:

I hope Chris is saving enough money, good composers aren't cheap, and a 'full' studio orchestra can easily be in excess of $100k/hour. Though you probably wouldn't need more than a week of calls, these people are professionals!

He had better delegate this one, too. Refactoring isn't much of an option if you've already had an orchestra in and finished recording. I mean, I'm sure they'd love the work...

On the other hand(waving), I wouldn't be surprised if this stretch goal were conveniently forgotten like all the rest.

edit: posting on page ((5(4))2) what does it mean???

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

maybe they'll actually go to GDC this year since every loving game company is pulling out

floor space has got to be cheap as gently caress now

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Herb Dington posted:

I sincerely look forward to this:

I hope Chris is saving enough money, good composers aren't cheap, and a 'full' studio orchestra can easily be in excess of $100k/hour. Though you probably wouldn't need more than a week of calls, these people are professionals!

He had better delegate this one, too. Refactoring isn't much of an option if you've already had an orchestra in and finished recording. I mean, I'm sure they'd love the work...

On the other hand(waving), I wouldn't be surprised if this stretch goal were conveniently forgotten like all the rest.

edit: posting on page ((5(4))2) what does it mean???

Uh, most of this is already in place. Pedro Camacho is doing a fantastic job.

First Light
Creating a Better World
Dreams of the Future
Speed Activated
ArcCorp Theme
Majesty of Space

Some other ones too. You can find most of them on his web site here:

https://www.musicbypedro.com/

Complete with you know full orchestras etc.

Oh and Geoff Zanelli (SQ 42 mostly):

http://geoffzanelli.com/projects/star-citizen/

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 27, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Star posted:

They'll get right on soon that but Squadron 42 is the focus of development right now!!!!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Star posted:

lol gently caress no

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EvilMerlin posted:

Uh, most of this is already in place. Pedro Camacho is doing a fantastic job.

First Light
Creating a Better World
Dreams of the Future
Speed Activated
ArcCorp Theme
Majesty of Space

Some other ones too. You can find most of them on his web site here:

https://www.musicbypedro.com/

Complete with you know full orchestras etc.

Oh and Geoff Zanelli (SQ 42 mostly):

http://geoffzanelli.com/projects/star-citizen/
hows the carrack treating you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also just between those two composers + orchestra time thats gonna clock in around $2m to $8m alone

not counting all the loving time your audio people have to take to sync that poo poo up with the actual game lol