Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
For the first while riding with a new helmet and getting the cheek squish, I'd just throw in a couple of pieces of gum for cushioning between cheek and teeth. I should have used a small mouth guard, but meh the gum worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man the biggest annoyance with my new helmet was taking it and losing my ear tunnels every heckin’ time.

Until I remembered to kind of.. wiggle it off one side at a time?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Man the biggest annoyance with my new helmet was taking it and losing my ear tunnels every heckin’ time.

Until I remembered to kind of.. wiggle it off one side at a time?

What size? I’m at about 4 ga and I’ve yanked out a couple rings that fortunately broke before injuring me. I switched to plugs or tunnels and haven’t had issues. If I pull straight away from my head on each strap it clears them pretty well on that first tug.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was at 6g or 4g when it was still riding weather. I’ll be at 00g in time for helmet season 2020. I think the smaller ones caught and pulled out a lot easier too so I’m not terribly worried about it, for one, and I just wiggle my head out of the bucket as you described.

Actually what I’m way more worried about is my septum ring tickling my nose on the highway at 120kph. Gonna be unfortunate :q:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Anyone with skinny hands and long fingers found a glove brand that fits well? I typically buy XL/11 so the fingers will be long enough, and the hand always seems to be an inch or so too big around the palm. Would love to find something that fits correctly all around.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Held gloves have long and short fingered versions in each of their sizes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'd like to report that Hotpoint brand heated gloves, sold at cyclegear, are working great and actually have heating coils in all digits. Haven't used them in below freezing temperatures, but so far so good.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
It's really annoying that all the bike gear shops around here only stock 'standard' sizes and all the stuff I want to try isn't avaiable in my size. Was at a local bike convention, one manufacturer told me their entire stock is available to order for fitment, but I don't think this is standard for everyone. They promised I could just have the retailer order everything, try it on and if it doesn't fit the shop can just return it to them which is cool.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

moxieman posted:

Anyone with skinny hands and long fingers found a glove brand that fits well? I typically buy XL/11 so the fingers will be long enough, and the hand always seems to be an inch or so too big around the palm. Would love to find something that fits correctly all around.

Monster hands checking in, widthwise I'm a 7, lengthwise I'm a 10/11. At this point, I have given up on getting gloves that fit.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Yeah I’m about an 8 in width and 11 for length as well. It sucks. I had some Icon gloves when I was new to riding that fit well but offered little actual protection (Pursuit, 1000 Rimfire).

I have some Scorpion Tempest winter gloves in XL that are exactly the correct length, and the insulation makes the rest of it seem like it fits better. They’re the only gloves I have that feel correct.

Other gloves that I use currently:

Scorpion SGS MkII: XL, fingers are the right length, but are also pretty loose/wide and the palm is stupidly big.

Heroic Racing ST-R Shorty: size 11, fingers are a bit short, palm a bit wide. I talked to Todd, the owner, about custom gloves via e-mail for a bit, but I got the sense that if you’re not a racer and not going to meet up with him at an event somewhere to get sized he wasn’t very interested, which I can kinda understand.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

It's really annoying that all the bike gear shops around here only stock 'standard' sizes and all the stuff I want to try isn't avaiable in my size. Was at a local bike convention, one manufacturer told me their entire stock is available to order for fitment, but I don't think this is standard for everyone. They promised I could just have the retailer order everything, try it on and if it doesn't fit the shop can just return it to them which is cool.

Online retailers like revzilla have easy free returns for exactly this purpose, so you can try on as much stuff as you're comfortable waiting to get refunded after you ship it back. Also has the benefit of being able to futz around with stuff at home for as long as you need without the pressure of a salesperson there.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I don't remember if these folks do gloves or not, but one of my co-workers ordered a custom-sized jacket and overpants set from https://six-gear.com .
Not sure about the overpants as he never wears them, but the jacket he got custom-fitted was only 300$ and about 1.5 months to complete. The guy is over 300LBS and has fairly short legs but is still about 6 feet, so sizing for him is an utter crapshoot. The quality looked good though mind you, I'm bassing that against my joe rocket and rs taichi gear.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Tech7 heated grips trip report: not as toasty as heated gloves, but waaaay less finicky. I didn't have to shove my hands in a sink of hot water to get the feeling in them back when I got to work this morning, so they're clearly doing their job.

Rad that I'm still getting my money's worth out of that £1300 ZZR600, even after it's dead. Thanks for the freebies, PO.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Freezing temperatures report.

Oxford heated grips vs Hotwired heated gloves.

Grips have 5 levels of adjustment and we only working well in top settings. I assume if you ride with gloves that aren't winter gloves, you'll feel them much better. However, they only heat the inside of your palm and that's just wasn't working in freezing temperatures. My thumb and pinky were getting numb, despite the palm getting sweaty from the heat.

Gloves had a near opposite effect. Most of the hearing coils were on top, however some coils ran along the fingers and kept the heat distribution more or less manageable. I didn't have cold spot, but the top of the glove is way hotter than it needs to be.

In the end I left both the gloves and grips on low setting and it was the best experience, while they worked together. If I were to choose one over the other, gloves win, no contest.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Freezing temperatures report.

Oxford heated grips vs Hotwired heated gloves.

Grips have 5 levels of adjustment and we only working well in top settings. I assume if you ride with gloves that aren't winter gloves, you'll feel them much better. However, they only heat the inside of your palm and that's just wasn't working in freezing temperatures. My thumb and pinky were getting numb, despite the palm getting sweaty from the heat.

Gloves had a near opposite effect. Most of the hearing coils were on top, however some coils ran along the fingers and kept the heat distribution more or less manageable. I didn't have cold spot, but the top of the glove is way hotter than it needs to be.

In the end I left both the gloves and grips on low setting and it was the best experience, while they worked together. If I were to choose one over the other, gloves win, no contest.

I definitely agree with this. I've got heated grips on my 1290 and they're pretty much all I use til the weather gets down to about 28 or below; then I switch from my waterproof alpinestars winter gloves to dedicated heated gloves. makes such a huge difference

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hand toaster!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Monster hands checking in, widthwise I'm a 7, lengthwise I'm a 10/11. At this point, I have given up on getting gloves that fit.

I have weird hands and 90% of moto gloves I've tried don't fit me. Somehow I get a perfect fit with Harley Davidson leather gloves, I just need to get over paying the premium to have a drawing of an eagle on them. They held up sliding down the highway for 50 meters, so that's good enough for me. Their cold weather gloves are also the most wind-proof piece of gear I've ever had, so at least it's money well spent.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Good lord, 50 meters is a long way to go 😐

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
What are people's favorite springtime gloves? I have bad circulation and my hands get cold easy.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Yerok posted:

What are people's favorite springtime gloves? I have bad circulation and my hands get cold easy.

I did an entire year in London with my Knox Orsa gloves and heated grips.

They’re great gloves, but the heated grips really takes the edge off.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I wear 100% brisker neoprene gloves when weather is around 45 F

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Razzled posted:

I wear 100% brisker neoprene gloves when weather is around 45 F

Def gonna try these out for winter trail riding

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Is this the place to chat about riding backpacks? I'm struggling to find something I really like, but currently have been eyeballing the new-ish Icon Dreadnaught (https://fortnine.ca/en/icon-dreadnaught-backpack). I need something to take at least a day's supply of clothes/snacks or whatever with me, just not really sure if the 20L capacity would fit what I have in mind.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Get a kreiga. Best designed motorcycle specific backpacks I've ever seen.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What is it that makes moto-specific backpacks so moto-specific? I do a bunch of hiking, fieldwork, and bicycle commuting, and have never found anything to match a good hiking daypack with a light frame, good hip belt, and longer shallower main compartment. On the rare occasion I do wear a backpack on the motorbike, it’s usually one of the higher volume camelbaks, only loaded with a bladder, snacks, and maybe rain gear.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I ride highways in upright position so never had a need for heavy duty motorcycle-specific backpacks. My go to pack is Ospray, it's a hiking brand that's extremely comfortable and 24" bag fits into overhead, so it doubles as my travel backpack. They are nicely padded and extremely comfortable because that's kinda important in a hiking world. 24" bag is enough for a week of clothes, but your experience may vary.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/farpoint-travel-pack-carry-on-40-FARPNT40_526.html

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 2, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What is it that makes moto-specific backpacks so moto-specific? I do a bunch of hiking, fieldwork, and bicycle commuting, and have never found anything to match a good hiking daypack with a light frame, good hip belt, and longer shallower main compartment. On the rare occasion I do wear a backpack on the motorbike, it’s usually one of the higher volume camelbaks, only loaded with a bladder, snacks, and maybe rain gear.

the chest clips on all bags suck compared to the ones on a kriega. I’ve done smaller REI bags while pedal bike commuting and they just do not work as well as a kriega does on a street bike. belly straps are stupid on bikes too and while I’m sure some bags will let you pull them off, the smaller REI daypack I have did not which annoyed me quite a bit. kriegas are far far sturdier too with a plastic stiffener in them. they don’t shift around at all and they are fantastic

Jcam posted:

Is this the place to chat about riding backpacks? I'm struggling to find something I really like, but currently have been eyeballing the new-ish Icon Dreadnaught (https://fortnine.ca/en/icon-dreadnaught-backpack). I need something to take at least a day's supply of clothes/snacks or whatever with me, just not really sure if the 20L capacity would fit what I have in mind.

for that amount of money you can get a 14 or 20L kriega. I’ve owned both and generally prefer the 14, but the 20 is not much bigger. I ended up selling my 14 for the 20 as I am going to japan later this year and am doing carry on only and 14L was just a tiny bit too restrictive for me. that being said I could fit my mosko rain jacket & pants, dress shoes, and pants all in the 14L without it looking silly.

highly recommend you get one of their bags though. their chest clip is the best thing out there and you can get rid of the belly straps non destructively. I’m guessing fortnine has as good a return policy as revzilla, so I’d just recommend buying either a 14 or a 20 and returning it if you do not like it, but I’ve used tons of backpacks commuting and the kriegas do it best

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What is it that makes moto-specific backpacks so moto-specific?

The kreiga ones are the only brand I know off the top of my head that has a sensible strap system designed to be used by someone wearing leathers and heavy gloves. Works really well and I was super impressed when I got to handle some when I was at the MotoGP last year and they had a stall display. If I rode to commute these days I'd buy one without question.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carth Dookie posted:

The kreiga ones are the only brand I know off the top of my head that has a sensible strap system designed to be used by someone wearing leathers and heavy gloves. Works really well and I was super impressed when I got to handle some when I was at the MotoGP last year and they had a stall display. If I rode to commute these days I'd buy one without question.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. The only inconvenience I have with my hiking packs is those two things. I’ve just gotten used to loosening the straps all the way out before I put them on or take them off, or just leaving them on the jacket if it’s light enough, like just a bladder and snacks. And gloves off for working the buckles.

Any more, I’m scared of having a pack with any weight attached to me on the bike. The one time I went down on the street I was wearing my daypack with 20# of cat food in it. I can’t say for sure that it contributed to the crash but I can’t say it didn’t, either. It made it kind of awkward getting my poo poo together immediately after, though.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 2, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Kriegas suck, I'll never buy another one. Most aren't waterproof, they're heavy as poo poo and they don't hold up well in a crash on or off road. I had the r20

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:shrug: mines been waterproof enough for 30’ commutes in the PNW and Nashville

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I really like the osprey raptor 14. I have a lot of backpacks as I live in the Pacific Northwest and hike all the time. I got it specifically for dirt biking and didn't like a lot of moto specific bags I saw. Mountain biking was the next closest activity so I checked it out (what it was designed for). I know osprey from my backpacking experience and they make great bags for those purposes. It's the perfect size for a day hike bag and small enough that it's not obtrusive while riding. I really wanted a bag that doesn't jump around on my back since you're constantly bouncing around on the trails. It's since become my favorite backpack for day hikes. The waist straps do a good job of shifting weight to your hips and the chest straps serve their purpose. I really like how it holds the bladder hose up the shoulder strap. Very clever. It also has a really cool hidden pouch in the bottom for tools and comes with a small tool roll. It keeps those from flopping around. Zippered hop pockets for quick access stuff. Overall I live how well thought out it is. I got mine on sale for about $90. I've gone over the bars dozens of times, crashed in all kinds of brush and rocks etc and it still looks mostly new if only I were to wash it. No rips or holes yet after a full year of riding. It isn't the most robust pack but it's not ultra light either. I don't think you could get a laptop in there though unless it was small.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

:shrug: mines been waterproof enough for 30’ commutes in the PNW and Nashville

Thirty feet? Might as well walk! :v:

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

right arm posted:

the chest clips on all bags suck compared to the ones on a kriega. I’ve done smaller REI bags while pedal bike commuting and they just do not work as well as a kriega does on a street bike. belly straps are stupid on bikes too and while I’m sure some bags will let you pull them off, the smaller REI daypack I have did not which annoyed me quite a bit. kriegas are far far sturdier too with a plastic stiffener in them. they don’t shift around at all and they are fantastic

for that amount of money you can get a 14 or 20L kriega. I’ve owned both and generally prefer the 14, but the 20 is not much bigger. I ended up selling my 14 for the 20 as I am going to japan later this year and am doing carry on only and 14L was just a tiny bit too restrictive for me. that being said I could fit my mosko rain jacket & pants, dress shoes, and pants all in the 14L without it looking silly.

highly recommend you get one of their bags though. their chest clip is the best thing out there and you can get rid of the belly straps non destructively. I’m guessing fortnine has as good a return policy as revzilla, so I’d just recommend buying either a 14 or a 20 and returning it if you do not like it, but I’ve used tons of backpacks commuting and the kriegas do it best

Those Kriega bags are amazing, a bit pricier than the one I was looking at but that's definitely okay. I've had the R25 and R30 in my cart on the site now since you posted this, going back and forth on whether or not I want the waterproof main compartment. I'm a bigger guy and haven't liked the strap positioning on most bags I've tried out locally (especially with my jacket on), like the OGIO semi-rigid bags and similar bags.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I love my Kriega bag on the bike, but it kinda sucks off the bike. The straps and clasp that are so good on the bike aren't so hot for walking around if that clasp isn't fastened.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My Osprey feels fine on the bike and I use the chest and waist straps while on it. I've carried heavy loads in it too, enough beer to completely fill the 46L version.

In A* leather jacket news, I had posted earlier about trying to find an A* jacket that's compatible with their tech air system and can fit larger arms. The third jacket I tried, A* specter, ended up doing the trick (and of course was the most expensive). There's a decent amount more room in the specter than the missile and the missile ignition jackets, but it sucks that the jacket is somehow more expensive while simultaneously using thinner leather.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

I love my Kriega bag on the bike, but it kinda sucks off the bike. The straps and clasp that are so good on the bike aren't so hot for walking around if that clasp isn't fastened.

I'd agree with this, but for whatever reason the clasp doesn't feel or look as dorky as a regular chest strap so I forgive it

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

I just ordered a pinlock insert for my AGV K1 helmet. Do they really work as good as everyone is saying?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I just ordered a pinlock insert for my AGV K1 helmet. Do they really work as good as everyone is saying?

Yes, but make sure your visor is *really* clean on the inside before putting it on, both to make sure it seals properly at the edges and also because any dirt or scratches on the inside will be trapped there forever annoying you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's plastic also softer than a normal visor, easy to scratch. So if you have a habit of putting your gloves in your helmet or similar be wary of that.