Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Chip McFuck posted:

Everything.

Follow Klyith's advice and stick to two physical sticks of memory if possible. Load up the sticks, not the slots. Who knows how well your motherboard manufacturer crossed their T's except them and none of them are honest about it.

insta posted:

You are gonna be so mad at yourself for running on a spinning disk for your OS/programs for this long.

His brain is gonna explode once he boots the the new build in the end. Like in an extremely good way.

Klyith posted:

e for added reply:

If you haven't read up already, tRFC is the recharge time allotted to keep data active in the ram. That's why it takes so long, but while it's happening that bank of memory can't do anything. I have no clue how much you'll be able to reduce it -- rfc seems like different memory chips have huge swings in suggested values from the ryzen dram calculator.

The hexidecimal thing sounds nuts to me, I've never seen anything like that on mine (x370) or anyone talking about MSI bios stuff. The timings stuff is all in OC -> Advanced DRAM settings. In advanced mode. Always use advanced mode.

I'll have to get back in there and take screenshots. Google + Reddit suggest I am not insane but those are both unreliable sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm looking to build a PC all by myself for the first time like a big boy. Currently have this list which I discussed with my much more knowledgable friend: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/NhgDQq

It'll be used for video games mainly, I went with 32gb of RAM because some popular games we play suffer from severe memory issues and it's not that much more dosh than 16gb. Any glaring issues?

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 26, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like the standard recommended build around here. Your RAM could use an upgrade in speed. I'd get the same brand but at 3200 since it usually only costs a few bucks more. AMD actually recommends 3600 ram speed but it doesn't look like a big performance difference. What is your monitor?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Is there a recommended super-quiet CPU cooler for a non-overclocked 3600x?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Have you bought the 3600x yet? If you're going for a non stock cooler anyway you might as well get the standard 3600 as the cooler is the biggest difference between the two.

I got an Arctic Freezer 34 which has been doing just fine for my 3600. Noise isn't noticeable at all above the case fans for me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Looks like the standard recommended build around here. Your RAM could use an upgrade in speed. I'd get the same brand but at 3200 since it usually only costs a few bucks more. AMD actually recommends 3600 ram speed but it doesn't look like a big performance difference. What is your monitor?

I don't know which monitor I'll end up using yet. I currently have a 60hz one but looking to upgrade to 144hz 1440p or something like that. My buddy told me faster ram doesn't really matter that much but I'll just upgrade to 3200, it doesn't cost that much more. Thanks.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Party Boat posted:

Have you bought the 3600x yet? If you're going for a non stock cooler anyway you might as well get the standard 3600 as the cooler is the biggest difference between the two.

I got an Arctic Freezer 34 which has been doing just fine for my 3600. Noise isn't noticeable at all above the case fans for me.

Yeah, I've already got the 3600x, and hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I thought I'd be happy with the stock cooler, but alas.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pokchu posted:

Is there a recommended super-quiet CPU cooler for a non-overclocked 3600x?

A 120mm Arctic like Party Boat has ($25), or the revamped Coolermaster 212 Evo ($30), can run very quietly at idle but will need like 1200-1500 RPM at load. Which isn't a huge racket but isn't super-quiet.

The next step up is a Scythe Mugen at $50, the fan it comes with is 1200 RPM max. Highly regarded for quiet and $/performance.

Next from that IMO is a Noctua U14S $64, it doesn't perform much better than the Mugen but the 140mm Noctua fan is real good (and bigger fans produce a lower, less noticeable tone). After that you're in Noctua dual-tower territory which is probably overkill for a 3600.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 26, 2020

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I am very pleased with the Scythe Mugen on my 3700x. Much quieter and you don't have the stupid noisy ramping up and down fan from the stock cooler :v:

Also it was incredibly easy to install.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I am very pleased with the Scythe Mugen on my 3700x. Much quieter and you don't have the stupid noisy ramping up and down fan from the stock cooler :v:

Also it was incredibly easy to install.

Yeah, I'm more irritated by the constant ramping than anything else.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

pokchu posted:

Yeah, I'm more irritated by the constant ramping than anything else.

That's what made me swap out. The fluctuation in noise level was driving me crazy.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
what are the choice HDD's these days? Is there a good go-to site for such info?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the tingler posted:

what are the choice HDD's these days? Is there a good go-to site for such info?

No such thing, buy capacity and $/gigabyte. Some people don't like Seagate because they had a popular model that turned out defective like 5 years back, but they've been fine recently.

Drives labeled "NAS" are mechanically identical to normal drives and no more reliable, though you often get longer warranty for the higher price. They just have firmware optimized for RAID use (drives don't re-read data over and over trying to recover bits when encountering an error, because that makes the NAS go un-responsive and you have a RAID for error correction).

If you want a big HDD for your desktop to dump all your media on, a 5400 rpm drive is a good choice since most cases have kinda mediocre HD vibration-damping these days.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
I was wondering if you guys think it'll be worth it to buy a 3rd gen ryzen cpu to replace my 2400g or to just skip this generation entirely and wait for the 4th gen ryzen to come out? I'm in no real rush to upgrade.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

FanofPortals posted:

I was wondering if you guys think it'll be worth it to buy a 3rd gen ryzen cpu to replace my 2400g or to just skip this generation entirely and wait for the 4th gen ryzen to come out? I'm in no real rush to upgrade.

If you don't need to upgrade now, barring some stupid and/or unforseen happening to the supply, it's always better to wait. Old tech gets cheaper and new tech gets better.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hi, its me, the dummy who bought a new ATX motherboard but forgot he had a microATX case. :saddowns:

Is there a go-to recommendation for microATX motherboards for the Ryzen 5 3600?

I don't overclock and my only real requirement would be to have 4 RAM slots.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 26, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's about time for a new PC for me. Purpose: gaming. Monitor is 3440x1440x144 and already own an Asus 2080ti I'll be transplanting. My existing system is a 4790k that's been rock solid since Nov 2014 until recently. I think I had one hard lock in the first 5 years, but it's become a regular occurrence in the last few months.

I'm curious if there's a Ryzen CPU + motherboard combo that would offer that same reliability. My last AMD system was a Tbird and the move to Intel back then definitely resulted in a quieter, more stable system. That was a long time ago, but it feels like the AMD platform thread is full of people having minor but annoying issues. I have no patience for dicking with fan curves/power states or testing stability of custom RAM timing. Silence is a priority for me and I see some chipset fans have returned, too. For context, I upgraded video cards not because I needed the performance, but because the fan on the Gigabyte 980 ti was ridiculously annoying.

Can I safely buy a Ryzen, and if so, are there recommended motherboards that are passively cooled and stable? Or should I stick with Intel? I just want to not have to think about it for another few years.

KS fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 26, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Basticle posted:

Hi, its me, the dummy who bought a new ATX motherboard but forgot he had a microATX case. :saddowns:

Is there a go-to recommendation for microATX motherboards for the Ryzen 5 3600?

I don't overclock and my only real requirement would be to have 4 RAM slots.

The MSI B450M Mortar Max is a very good matx board but unfortunately it's not for sale in the United States. The Asrock B450m steel legend seems to have decent reviews as well. Just buy it at a high volume place like Amazon so you know you're getting the latest BIOS that supports Ryzen 3600.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

KS posted:

It's about time for a new PC for me. Purpose: gaming. Monitor is 3440x1440x144 and already own an Asus 2080ti I'll be transplanting. My existing system is a 4790k that's been rock solid since Nov 2014 until recently. I think I had one hard lock in the first 5 years, but it's become a regular occurrence in the last few months.

I'm curious if there's a Ryzen CPU + motherboard combo that would offer that same reliability. My last AMD system was a Tbird and the move to Intel back then definitely resulted in a quieter, more stable system. That was a long time ago, but it feels like the AMD platform thread is full of people having minor but annoying issues. I have no patience for dicking with fan curves or testing stability of custom RAM timing. Silence is a priority for me and I see some chipset fans have returned, too. For context, I upgraded video cards not because I needed the performance, but because the fan on the Gigabyte 980 ti was ridiculously annoying.

Can I safely buy a Ryzen, and if so, are there recommended motherboards that are passively cooled and stable? Or should I stick with Intel? I just want to not have to think about it for another few years.

Ryzen's fine, use an aftermarket HSF if you want quiet and don't worry about tweaking ram timings unless you very much have a thing about extracting every theoretical drop of performance from your setup or are a competitive benchmarker.

A MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX is the standard rec, affordable, good, yes it has an updated BIOS. Only the X570 boards have a fan and they don't make a lot of sense unless you really need PCIe 4 storage for some reason.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

KS posted:

I'm curious if there's a Ryzen CPU + motherboard combo that would offer that same reliability. My last AMD system was a Tbird and the move to Intel back then definitely resulted in a quieter, more stable system. That was a long time ago, but it feels like the AMD platform thread is full of people having minor but annoying issues. I have no patience for dicking with fan curves/power states or testing stability of custom RAM timing. Silence is a priority for me and I see some chipset fans have returned, too. For context, I upgraded video cards not because I needed the performance, but because the fan on the Gigabyte 980 ti was ridiculously annoying.

You bought a $1200 graphics card because you wanted the fans to be quieter?

Anyways, my 3700x / 2070S / x470 board is rock solid stable and has had no issues. Just throw an aftermarket cooler on it for it to be quiet (Scythe Mugen is what I did). You probably don't need an x570 board (with the fans), but if you want one I'll let someone else recommend the best/quietest one. I would definitely go with AMD, though.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You bought a $1200 graphics card because you wanted the fans to be quieter?

I mean, it's a bit more complicated than that -- I convinced myself I wanted the performance even though I was playing 90% old games. It just ended up being my favorite side effect.

How's this look?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($469.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1224.44 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2780.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-26 17:08 EST-0500

e: ugh, no USB-C headers on the X450? I use USB-C quite a bit and would love to have something on the front of the case.

Any recommended quiet cases where the power buttons are on the side or front instead of the top? My cat's an rear end in a top hat.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Klyith posted:

The warning for CPU compatibility can be ignored.

Grab this memory instead. It's slightly faster, 2 sticks of memory are better than 4, and the price is only a couple dollars more.

Depending on the size of the videos & data you might work with, you might bet more out of an even bigger SSD than the 2 extra cores of the 3700X. I guess you don't do huge files if you get by with a 500gb HDD (:suicide:) now, and if you're sure that won't change in the future forget about it. But 4k videos get pretty big.

Cool, thanks! Good idea about storage, I'll definitely be considering it. Right now the files I work on are pretty large, but once the video editing really gets going at work I'll definitely need the space. It's funny, when I bought the current computer ten years ago, everyone around me was saying how mind-blowing 500 gigs was and no one could fill that much space. God, that makes me feel old.

The RAM has been changed to the recommended one in my notes and thanks for pointing it out. As dumb as this will make me sound, I made the initial selection because "hey, four sticks must be better than two!"

insta posted:

You are gonna be so mad at yourself for running on a spinning disk for your OS/programs for this long.

I have no doubt it will be a mixture of rage and elation.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Okay, taking my first stab at this gaming build so let me know what's absurd/stupid/wrong. It's a barely modified build from what I found on pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team GX1 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.29 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($1200.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($101.54 @ Walmart)
Monitor: LG 34GK950F-B 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($799.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2961.77
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-26 22:41 EST-0500

This is a kind of "treat myself" build, but I don't want to throw money away at needless upgrades. I'd actually like to change the case to something without a bunch of lights (I'm not a fan of all the RBG LEDs), but I'm not sure what to look for when trying to decide if a case is the right size for the motherboard/gpu. So, uh, yep. Fire away and tell me what I shouldn't do here. :)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

KS posted:

If you want a quiet PC--what case are you using? The Fractal Design Define R5 is made to be quiet. I've been using a Define R4 case for a while and the only time you hear anything is if the fans need to be cleaned and your working the machine hard.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Idly pondering building a new PC. Last time I did this was eight years ago, with the assistance of someone who knows way more than me, with only a GPU upgrade since. Please tell me what I screwed up and what sort of GPU would go well with this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($504.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Gigabyte AORUS LIQUID COOLER 240 59.25 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.94 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1359.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-26 23:04 EST-0500

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Aranan posted:

Okay, taking my first stab at this gaming build so let me know what's absurd/stupid/wrong. It's a barely modified build from what I found on pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team GX1 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.29 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($1200.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($101.54 @ Walmart)
Monitor: LG 34GK950F-B 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($799.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2961.77
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-26 22:41 EST-0500

This is a kind of "treat myself" build, but I don't want to throw money away at needless upgrades. I'd actually like to change the case to something without a bunch of lights (I'm not a fan of all the RBG LEDs), but I'm not sure what to look for when trying to decide if a case is the right size for the motherboard/gpu. So, uh, yep. Fire away and tell me what I shouldn't do here. :)

Looks pretty good, but a couple of suggestions:

Motherboard: The lower-end ASRock X570s have trace issues that cause ram compatibility problems. I'd consider just getting an MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX if you don't care about the X570 features like PCIe 4.0 (which isn't going to be useful for years to come, probably not for the lifetime of the board) or dual M.2 slots. Otherwise, an Asus Prime P is a better X570 choice.

Memory: It's a bit trickier to find QVL 2x16GB ram kits for B450 boards, but this Corsair Vengeance kit is QVL with the Tomahawk MAX. Non-QVL kits may still work, but they might have sub-optimal timings or require manual overclocking instead of just turning on the XMP Profile. If you buy the Asus X570 board most kits will work, but with your budget I'd probably go with this nice 3600cl16 kit for just a bit more than the filter's choice.

Storage: Spend a little bit more to get an excellent SATA drive like the MX500. You could also step up to a NVMe drive like the HP ex920, but it's not going to be a noticeable performance boost for games.

Power Supply: Again, spend just a little more for a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold. Higher quality, fully modular, and doubles the warranty length from 5 to 10 years.

Case: The X Trio is an absolute beast of a card and one of the few that doesn't fit in our standard recommendation, the Fractal Design Meshify C (also comes in tempered glass varieties). It would fit just fine in a Meshify S2 or R6. If you decide to get one of the latter two, you might wish to step up your motherboard to a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite so you can connect the front usb-c port.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SlothBear posted:

Idly pondering building a new PC. Last time I did this was eight years ago, with the assistance of someone who knows way more than me, with only a GPU upgrade since. Please tell me what I screwed up and what sort of GPU would go well with this.

PCPartPicker Part List

What's the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor are you pairing with this? What sort of games do you want to play, and at what fps and settings?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I finally started assembling my system and so far it's going quite well, except I can't get the MOBO power to sit flush into the socket/slot. How much force can I put on this thing. :v:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The 24 pin cable? Obviously be absolutely sure it's oriented the right way (there should be a clip on one side). It sometimes does need a bit of gentle force to get into place, but once it's in it should be flush and solidly in.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Stickman posted:

Looks pretty good, but a couple of suggestions:

Motherboard: The lower-end ASRock X570s have trace issues that cause ram compatibility problems. I'd consider just getting an MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX if you don't care about the X570 features like PCIe 4.0 (which isn't going to be useful for years to come, probably not for the lifetime of the board) or dual M.2 slots. Otherwise, an Asus Prime P is a better X570 choice.

Memory: It's a bit trickier to find QVL 2x16GB ram kits for B450 boards, but this Corsair Vengeance kit is QVL with the Tomahawk MAX. Non-QVL kits may still work, but they might have sub-optimal timings or require manual overclocking instead of just turning on the XMP Profile. If you buy the Asus X570 board most kits will work, but with your budget I'd probably go with this nice 3600cl16 kit for just a bit more than the filter's choice.

Storage: Spend a little bit more to get an excellent SATA drive like the MX500. You could also step up to a NVMe drive like the HP ex920, but it's not going to be a noticeable performance boost for games.

Power Supply: Again, spend just a little more for a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold. Higher quality, fully modular, and doubles the warranty length from 5 to 10 years.

Case: The X Trio is an absolute beast of a card and one of the few that doesn't fit in our standard recommendation, the Fractal Design Meshify C (also comes in tempered glass varieties). It would fit just fine in a Meshify S2 or R6. If you decide to get one of the latter two, you might wish to step up your motherboard to a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite so you can connect the front usb-c port.

This is amazing, thank you!

I'm definitely not set on that specific version of the 2080 Ti--it was just one of the ones I chose almost at random (out of ones with 2-3 fans for cooling) from the PCPartPicker list of 2080 Tis. If there's a different one that would fit better I'd be fine with that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SlothBear posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($504.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Gigabyte AORUS LIQUID COOLER 240 59.25 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1359.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-26 23:04 EST-0500

Just my advice...
You probably don’t need a 9900k. An AMD 3600 paired with a b450 tomahawk Max board would be plenty. A 9900k only makes sense if you fall into the following: you have a high refresh rate monitor (144hz+), you MUST max that monitor out in all your games, you have a video card that can actually do it (2080ti - $1200). You won’t see any gaming benefit from a 9900k over a 3600 if you don’t fall in to that narrow niche. Your GPU is going to be doing the heavy lifting with games so if it can’t give your CPU the frames, the power (and thus the money you spent) will be wasted.

Your probably don’t need 32 GB of ram either. 16 is still enough for gaming. RAM is cheap right now though so if you really need it, do it. Reasons for more RAM could be if you’re doing software development, web development, doing stuff with VMs.

The cooler you chose is a bit expensive. You can get a Corsair 280mm kit for around 150.

1TB storage isn’t all that much these days, you’ll probably need to put an additional hard drive in there

The power supply is overkill in price and performance.

As for a GPU, if your monitor is 1080p a 2060 super would be good. If it’s 1440p or higher a 2070 Super instead.

You can get a legit windows key on eBay or SA for $5.

How about this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($91.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.98 @ Walmart)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($483.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($5.00)
Total: $1342.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 09:08 EST-0500

Ignore pcpartpicker’s complaints about compatibility. It’s an automatic thing whenever a current gen Ryzen is paired with a b450 board but the b450 tomahawk Max is guaranteed to work because they all have the correct BIOS from the factory.

This build gets you close to your initial price but includes a video card so if you REALLY want extra ram or a couple more cores you can probably use what you were going to spend on a GPU to step up to a 3700 and/or 32GB of RAM but right now you really don’t need to.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 27, 2020

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Stickman posted:

What's the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor are you pairing with this? What sort of games do you want to play, and at what fps and settings?

1920x1080 / 60 Hz currently, although I'm also pondering the jump to 1440 while I'm at it.

This is more for a 'whatever games I want to play in the next five years' than any particular game in mind. I mostly play Strategy games and RPGs.

GutBomb posted:

Just my advice...
You probably don’t need a 9900k. An AMD 3600 paired with a b450 tomahawk Max board would be plenty. A 9900k only makes sense if you fall into the following: you have a high refresh rate monitor (144hz+), you MUST max that monitor out in all your games, you have a video card that can actually do it (2080ti - $1200). You won’t see any gaming benefit from a 9900k over a 3600 if you don’t fall in to that narrow niche. Your GPU is going to be doing the heavy lifting with games so if it can’t give your CPU the frames, the power (and thus the money you spent) will be wasted.

That's exactly what I needed to hear, thank you.

GutBomb posted:

Your probably don’t need 32 GB of ram either. 16 is still enough for gaming. RAM is cheap right now though so if you really need it, do it. Reasons for more RAM could be if you’re doing software development, web development, doing stuff with VMs.

What if I tend to enjoy stuff that has terrible memory leaks? No in all seriousness I probably don't but for $40 more I think I file under may as well while I'm building it. If this is the extent of my unnecessary extravagance I'm in good shape.

GutBomb posted:

The cooler you chose is a bit expensive. You can get a Corsair 280mm kit for around 150.

Thanks, good stuff, I was very iffy on that.

GutBomb posted:

1TB storage isn’t all that much these days, you’ll probably need to put an additional hard drive in there

The power supply is overkill in price and performance.

As for a GPU, if your monitor is 1080p a 2060 super would be good. If it’s 1440p or higher a 2070 Super instead.

You can get a legit windows key on eBay or SA for $5.

It still blows my mind that I could at some point exceed a terrabyte of data on a home system. The main monitor I have right now is 1080, although I'm also considering a 1440 while I'm upgrading as they seem a lot cheaper than the last time I looked. The price difference seems close enough that getting the 2070 up front just to have it in place while I ponder monitor options seems worth it.

GutBomb posted:

How about this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($91.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.98 @ Walmart)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($483.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($5.00)
Total: $1342.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 09:08 EST-0500

Ignore pcpartpicker’s complaints about compatibility. It’s an automatic thing whenever a current gen Ryzen is paired with a b450 board but the b450 tomahawk Max is guaranteed to work because they all have the correct BIOS from the factory.

This build gets you close to your initial price but includes a video card so if you REALLY want extra ram or a couple more cores you can probably use what you were going to spend on a GPU to step up to a 3700 and/or 32GB of RAM but right now you really don’t need to.

I really like what I'm getting out of this for the price. Thank you very much!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It makes my inner nerd tingly that I'm now using QLC SATA SSDs in my builds as "bulk storage" drives. NVMe only for anything that requires realtime response (OS, programs). The only machines that are using spinning disks anymore are my camera server and my file server. The future is neat in one myopic instance :)

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010
I have an Asus AM1M-A. I’ve been trying to find some 16gb ram for it. Every time I’ve ordered some it’s either not worked or the seller cancels the order saying it’s for a server board only. I went on to part picker and there’s only one type of RAM that’s supposedly compatible but it hasn’t worked at all.
Now I’m completely at a loss.
Can someone help me find some that will work?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I've been having a lot of trouble locating drivers for my ASRock B450 Pro4 ATC motherboard. Their website seems to be complete poo poo so I thought I'd ask here since others may be using the same board. Can anyone help me out? Looking primarily for sound drivers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stump collector posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble locating drivers for my ASRock B450 Pro4 ATC motherboard. Their website seems to be complete poo poo so I thought I'd ask here since others may be using the same board. Can anyone help me out? Looking primarily for sound drivers.

Is this not the same board? https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450%20Pro4/index.asp#Download

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

stump collector posted:

Their drivers are here: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450%20pro4/index.asp#Download - due to the note I'm assuming the audio driver is an UAD driver that requires a separate control panel you'd have to download from the Windows 10 store.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Talen_Soti posted:

I have an Asus AM1M-A. I’ve been trying to find some 16gb ram for it. Every time I’ve ordered some it’s either not worked or the seller cancels the order saying it’s for a server board only. I went on to part picker and there’s only one type of RAM that’s supposedly compatible but it hasn’t worked at all.
Now I’m completely at a loss.
Can someone help me find some that will work?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AM1MA/HelpDesk_QVL/

Phoneposting makes finding specific sticks hard, but anything on the list on that page is tested to work.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

piL posted:

After action report:

I bought:

My lessons learned for anyone buiding something (especially mini ITX) soon:

1. I love love love this case and how small it is--now that it's done.

2. I only have one open fan controller on the motherboard for a case fan, so plan ahead for that.

3. Dont plug your graphics card in before putting the motherboard in the case.

4. On my motherboard, the M2 slot was on the back, so I'd you're doing mini ITX, check that before putting your motherboard into the case.

5. Look at where the tight spots are going to be and attach those cables before putting the motherboard into the case.

6. I love these fans.

Just caught up on the thread and saw this... there are 2 m.2 slots on that board. I'd wager the first is under the chipset fan on the front. Similar layout on my asus x570 itx board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Klyith posted:

Star Citizen is optimized for mastercard and visa.
:lol: