Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only bother if it's pissing buckets for hours. A drizzle will dry before it soaks through to any of your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

We lucked out and got excellent weather last week at Pt. Reyes. 4 days, 3 nights, about 32 miles.

The Andrew Shurka recipes were a hit (mashed potatoes, rice and beans). I lugged an avocado around for 3 days and forgot to use it on the last night.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do you guys carry a rain cover for your pack? I'm in New Mexico, not the Olympic Peninsula, but it does rain--in the summer, we'll often get an afternoon shower every couple days. Is it something you only bother with when you expect a full day of rain, or do you always bring it?

It depends. I usually check the weather the week leading up to a trip. If there's a remote chance of rain, I'll bring a heavy duty lawn or trash compactor bag as they are usually more waterproof than nylon covers. Line your bag with one and roll the top. Your physical pack might get soaked but the contents will be dry.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you use the trash compactor bag method don't forget about anything outside of the main pocket (e.g. sleeping bag).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do you guys carry a rain cover for your pack? I'm in New Mexico, not the Olympic Peninsula, but it does rain--in the summer, we'll often get an afternoon shower every couple days. Is it something you only bother with when you expect a full day of rain, or do you always bring it?

I have an Osprey rain cover that packed down is about as big as a pair of ankle socks. I take it 100% of the time because of how easy it is to just leave in the bag.

I also have a few waterproof compression sacks for my sleeping setup and clothes that make packing very easy, them being rain protective is just a bonus.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco carries an inflatable sleeping pad and pillow for $30 now that looks pretty nice. Not insulated but only around 20 ounces. Good option if you want something packable for warm weather camping. The carbon fiber trekking poles are back on stock as well.

https://www.costco.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Inflatable-Sleeping-Pad-with-Pillow.product.100497482.html

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 27, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Cascade poles from Costco are extremely legit, if you're looking for an new set they are a top-tier budget choice.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^Yesss, those poles are legit! I’ve been using them for years now. In fact, just got a new pair last year tear after crunching one in between some rocks and busting the last section. Totally my own fault, but they are the best and most durable poles I’ve had

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The Andrew Shurka recipes were a hit (mashed potatoes, rice and beans). I lugged an avocado around for 3 days and forgot to use it on the last night.

Holy crap this is gorgeous! I’ve been working on planning a trip to Pictured Rocks in Michigan later this year, and this is getting me super excited to be by the water. Also looking to do some homemade dehydrated style meals this year, thanks for the recipe link! drat he’s got some good looking stuff.

pumped up for school posted:

This is kind of an oddball req, but any suggestions for how to fix a zipper where both ends are sewn? No access to either side? I've watched a dozen videos and just mangled a bunch of sliders. I can't get it to track more than once before it jumps again.

Trying to fix a work pack from a motel. My tools are limited to a Leatherman and small hand tools. Part of the problem is the lid design has a hard 90 degree turn (more of a "box" design Rather than a U closure).

A few days too late here, but usually you pop off the end stop and put a new zip on there. If it’s sewn, I’d just grab a seam ripper and pop out the threads and sew it back on there with a few loops. Should be able to get a travel sewing kit at walmart or a drug store I would think. Would be curious to know how you wound up fixing it on the go!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do you guys carry a rain cover for your pack?
New Mexico? I’d think you’d be hunky dorey without, even if it gets wet it’ll dry out super fast (at least the climate near where I’ve visited). I just have a Zpacks Dyneema pack which has been decently waterproof by itself for awhile. Even filled up and retained a ton water while hiking in a downpour with an open top (hosed up and forgot to close it after grabbing my jacket). Recently I picked up a 30$ dyneema pack liner from Zpacks to make sure my quilts stay extra protected. Couldn’t find decently thick trash compactor bags at the grocery store, and figured Amazon was already nearly half the price for disposable bags without the seal.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 27, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I also don't like trashbagging up a sleeping bag because any dampness, even if it's just condensation will mildew quickly

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thatguy posted:

I also don't like trashbagging up a sleeping bag because any dampness, even if it's just condensation will mildew quickly

Depends on timeframe and rainfall?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We lucked out and got excellent weather last week at Pt. Reyes. 4 days, 3 nights, about 32 miles.

My wife and I were on this exact trail Feb14th, and we saw a pair of backpackers. I wonder if it was you? I think I said something idiotic like "oh are you camping?" to people with full backpacking packs or something like that. We were just daytripping. The weather has been super nice, and it's not very crowded since it's still supposedly the offseason.

We just started exploring Pt. Reyes a little last year and it didn't occur to me that it was a place to go backpacking (as opposed to just maybe car camping) since it's not that large of an area and there's roads. Do you just hike to car-accessible camps?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

My wife and I were on this exact trail Feb14th, and we saw a pair of backpackers. I wonder if it was you? I think I said something idiotic like "oh are you camping?" to people with full backpacking packs or something like that. We were just daytripping. The weather has been super nice, and it's not very crowded since it's still supposedly the offseason.

We just started exploring Pt. Reyes a little last year and it didn't occur to me that it was a place to go backpacking (as opposed to just maybe car camping) since it's not that large of an area and there's roads. Do you just hike to car-accessible camps?

That wouldn't have been us but I'm glad you got to enjoy the nice weather. Here's what I based our route on:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/california/point-reyes-grand-tour?ref=sidebar-view-full-map

All of the camps are at least a few miles hiking from the trailheads. Day hiking is great but staying overnight provides some really great opportunities for seeing and hearing wildlife. At Wildcat and Sky camps you can fall asleep to the waves crashing (and no road noise!). Yes the park is smallish, and especially seems that way in map view because it's kind of long and skinny. But the interior valleys vs the coastal trails provides so much contrast it never feels like doubling back when you make that tight hourglass route.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Somehow lost the bookmark to this thread so my bad if this this is a repeat, but has there been any discussion about the new ASTM values for pads? I just learned that the Klymit insulated static V dropped from 4.4 to 1.9. The 4.4 always seemed optimistic but I didn't expect the standardized value would be cut by over half. I wanted to start dipping my toe into 0-20 degree conditions, but it looks like I'll need another pad before that happens. Still works for 2 season camping I guess, but for the weight and chance of failure I'd rather just use a z-sol.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Somehow lost the bookmark to this thread so my bad if this this is a repeat, but has there been any discussion about the new ASTM values for pads? I just learned that the Klymit insulated static V dropped from 4.4 to 1.9. The 4.4 always seemed optimistic but I didn't expect the standardized value would be cut by over half. I wanted to start dipping my toe into 0-20 degree conditions, but it looks like I'll need another pad before that happens. Still works for 2 season camping I guess, but for the weight and chance of failure I'd rather just use a z-sol.

Just FYI but Klymit said the 1.9 values they published were incorrect and retracted them from their website. They have yet to release the corrected values however.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Also couple that pad with a reflective foam pad for cold conditions and you'll notice a difference

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I didn't know that, what a roller coaster.

My wife has a z-sol but she doesn't want to touch cold weather camping, which means I have a z-sol if I needed it for next season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That wouldn't have been us but I'm glad you got to enjoy the nice weather. Here's what I based our route on:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/california/point-reyes-grand-tour?ref=sidebar-view-full-map

All of the camps are at least a few miles hiking from the trailheads. Day hiking is great but staying overnight provides some really great opportunities for seeing and hearing wildlife. At Wildcat and Sky camps you can fall asleep to the waves crashing (and no road noise!). Yes the park is smallish, and especially seems that way in map view because it's kind of long and skinny. But the interior valleys vs the coastal trails provides so much contrast it never feels like doubling back when you make that tight hourglass route.

Cool, thank you, I think we'll do some backpacking there!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

I didn't know that, what a roller coaster.

My wife has a z-sol but she doesn't want to touch cold weather camping, which means I have a z-sol if I needed it for next season.

I suspect their ratings will slide and still be lovely but they won’t publish results until they have a replacement ready to go with better R values so they can discontinue the old one immediately

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I guess it's what I deserve for wanting therma-rest warmth at alibaba prices :capitalism:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone here have dyneema tarps or tents, and if so, what’s your impression vs silnylon?

I’m having a serious internal struggle about whether saving 8-10 ounces is worth 260$ or nah

E: possibly 14 ounces according to my scale

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2020

Morbus
May 18, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Does anyone here have dyneema tarps or tents, and if so, what’s your impression vs silnylon?

I’m having a serious internal struggle about whether saving 8-10 ounces is worth 260$ or nah

E: possibly 14 ounces according to my scale

Only you can decide if the weight savings are "worth it". It's certainly an expensive way to save ounces. The only other advantage I've noticed is that DCF seems to hold on to less moisture than silnylon (really no moisture at all), so it's easy to just shake dry and stuff in a pack after a rainy night, and it doesn't sag the way a silnylon tent cant when it gets soaked.

The only real downside, apart from cost, is that DCF shelters are a little less forgiving to pitch properly since the material doesn't have any stretch to it. This can kind of sort of be an issue on non-freestanding trekking pole supported shelters, which seem to comprise the majority of DCF shelters. Not really a big deal, though.

Some people like to point out that silnylon is a little better at shedding snow because it's more "slippery" but just lol if you're using any of these ultralight shelters in a situation with serious snow loading.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thinking about updating/upgrading my sleeping bag, because I'm tired of my synthetic "0 degree" bag taking up half the (pretty large) pack. Among the current offerings, what's a good combination of reasonable pricing, packability, and warmth? I guess I'd like something rated to about 20 degrees, so I could sleep reasonably comfortably at around freezing. REI prices make me gag and I'm apparently bad at catching sales.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thinking about updating/upgrading my sleeping bag, because I'm tired of my synthetic "0 degree" bag taking up half the (pretty large) pack. Among the current offerings, what's a good combination of reasonable pricing, packability, and warmth? I guess I'd like something rated to about 20 degrees, so I could sleep reasonably comfortably at around freezing. REI prices make me gag and I'm apparently bad at catching sales.

I picked up a Marmot Trestles 15 for <$100 last month. They're running another sale now. I had it out in ~35F degree temps and was comfy. It does pack down a bit bigger than I hoped, though.

REI will probably have another sale end of this month.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

REI’s biggest annual sale is their anniversary sale every April.

Also keep an eye out for garage sales at any local stores and hit them as early as you can

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

pumped up for school posted:

I picked up a Marmot Trestles 15 for <$100 last month. They're running another sale now. I had it out in ~35F degree temps and was comfy. It does pack down a bit bigger than I hoped, though.

REI will probably have another sale end of this month.

I took a quick look at REI after posting and saw this: https://www.rei.com/product/110923/rei-co-op-radiant-19-sleeping-bag-mens

which seems like a not-totally-godawful price for a down bag. Wish they had it in my store, but REI's return policy makes it not too bad if I wanted to order it and check it out.

I'll take a look at the Marmot Trestles 15, thank you!

Internet Wizard posted:

Also keep an eye out for garage sales at any local stores and hit them as early as you can

Thanks for the tip, like I said I'm very bad at keeping track of sales but I should be able to remember this.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
If you're not already an REI member and think you may buy something as expensive as a sleeping bag, you should join. It's $20 one time, and you're essentially certain to get a 20% or 25% off one item coupon to use during the next sale (I've never seen a sale without a coupon, that I can recall). That basically pays for itself, assuming you use the coupon.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The Kelty Cosmic down 0 and 15/20 tend to be the go to entry level down sleeping bags around $200 but they are often cheaper when on sale. I would say try to save for a nice sleeping bag and just eat that expense once for something that should last you 10+ years. A quality down bag will be really light (under 2 lbs) and compress very small (size of a football) while still being incredibly warm. A good insulated pad also helps boost that warmth a bit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

incogneato posted:

If you're not already an REI member and think you may buy something as expensive as a sleeping bag, you should join. It's $20 one time, and you're essentially certain to get a 20% or 25% off one item coupon to use during the next sale (I've never seen a sale without a coupon, that I can recall). That basically pays for itself, assuming you use the coupon.

Been a member for years, it paid for itself long ago.

Verman posted:

The Kelty Cosmic down 0 and 15/20 tend to be the go to entry level down sleeping bags around $200 but they are often cheaper when on sale. I would say try to save for a nice sleeping bag and just eat that expense once for something that should last you 10+ years. A quality down bag will be really light (under 2 lbs) and compress very small (size of a football) while still being incredibly warm. A good insulated pad also helps boost that warmth a bit.

I'm exactly 6 feet tall. Any Cosmic Down owners got an opinion on regular vs. long for that height? I see that Kelty's site suggests regular for up to 6', and long for up to 6'6". My current bag is a long, and it's longer than I need, but I assume each manufacturer is different.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If you care about animal welfare, specifically hellworld practices like live plucking and force feeding, consider buying sleeping bags from one of these companies.

https://responsibledown.org/find-responsible-down-standard/

Kelty and Sierra Designs are notable absent from the list.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Internet Wizard posted:

Great timing, because my Exped airmat just popped an internal seam. Baffle? Wall? One of those things that forms a rib. And it's not even one of the discount ones, either.

edit: Well, maybe not. Turns out I appear to have a five year warranty on my mat, so here goes. Anyone know how much of a pain in the rear end Exped is to deal with as far as warranty service goes?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 9, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I took a quick look at REI after posting and saw this: https://www.rei.com/product/110923/rei-co-op-radiant-19-sleeping-bag-mens

which seems like a not-totally-godawful price for a down bag. Wish they had it in my store, but REI's return policy makes it not too bad if I wanted to order it and check it out.

I'll take a look at the Marmot Trestles 15, thank you

I'm in my sleeping bag most nights of the year because of my job, and I use the radiant and so does my partner. I bought my first radiant in 2013 and it was a pile of garbage, but for the products they continue to make REI makes continual quality improvements and their modern ones are great. I don't know what marmots are like now but I was so displeased with the last down bag I got in 2010 I said I'd never buy anything else by marmot again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is anyone out there making quilts with the inner surface a more cloth like material? I have one from hammock gear that I'm otherwise super pleased with, but in warmer weather I sleep in only shorts and the plastic clingy feel of the nylon on skin is miserable. If there was some ultralight cotton type material out there I'd be all over that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I believe Marmot was bought by a larger corporation and their quality went downhill since. It's all still okay but not spectacular.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Verman posted:

I believe Marmot was bought by a larger corporation and their quality went downhill since. It's all still okay but not spectacular.

They tend to have sales around now at their website or REI outlet for 50% off or more which is still a good value IMO. Just avoid paying MSRP. I got a down vest and sleeping bag last year both for less than half price which have been great.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Is Klymit a good company for sleeping bags etc?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Never used them but they often sell them at Costco if you want to save a few bucks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Is anyone out there making quilts with the inner surface a more cloth like material? I have one from hammock gear that I'm otherwise super pleased with, but in warmer weather I sleep in only shorts and the plastic clingy feel of the nylon on skin is miserable. If there was some ultralight cotton type material out there I'd be all over that.

You might be better served with getting a sleeping bag liner, or bringing along a custom fitted sheet or something. Also, you might look at the premium fabrics Hammock Gear uses for their non-econ line, they have a much more clothish consistency. I just recently got the Hammock Gear premium down pillow and it is hands down the most ridiculously soft thing I’ve ever felt in my life. Like, I couldn’t stop touching the thing on my drive home soft. I’m tempted to get the XL for my bed at home because that’s the best pillow I’ve ever slept on when I took it out last weekend.

The economy line used to be a different shell material than the premium line. Possibly still the case, but I can’t find specific specs mentioning it anymore, so I dunno. But my experience with the hexon and argon type fabrics vs ripstop nylon can best be described as transcendental.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My Sierra Designs 4 season tent is 20 years old and survived boy scouts, some wild storms, 6 years of university geology trips to the Mojave. In the end no amount of seam sealer or nikwax could make it waterproof again. Probably going to donate it once I figure out where and how.

I finally picked up a new 3 person tent with my REI dividend and coupon. mtnGLO seems gimmicky but could be nice for playing MTG or something on shoulder season trips. Anyone else get something cool with their dividend?

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/173301/big-agnes-manzanares-hv-sl3-mtnglo-tent

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Public PSA, Warbonnet is running a 20% discount on their Hammocks right now, coupon code stuck@home

Just bought a ridgerunner because it looks comfy AF and thought I’d try something new. The blackbird XLC has been nothing but good to me over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So I've been wanting to check out a hammock, and I figured what better time than with the "free" money I'll be getting soon. I have a tent, but it's big and bulky, and since my wife sadly isn't fond of camping or outdoorsy stuff in general, there's no reason for me to lug that thing out even to just go car camping by myself. I am 6'5" and weigh around 325 or so and I am primarily a side sleeper.

What would be some good budget options I could try out that would be suitable for someone my size? I would also need a tarp and bug net, since I would be using this in Texas and the mosquitoes are horrible.