Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

then why the poo poo with the mystery box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love Clara, I think she's the best companion ever, but really exclusively based on her characterisation in the Capaldi era. Her bond with the Doctor is deep and meaningful in a way that isn't the typical "he's an emotionally distant brain genius, she's a sweet, empathic woman who loves him and thereby humanises him". See: Rose, Martha, Amy Pond, Clara in her first season with Eleven.

Not to say Amy and Martha and Rose are bad characters - they aren't (or when they are that's not the problem with them) - but they fit into a very specific, and very cliched, mould. They're sweet girls who imbue the smart, dangerous man with a connection to his gentler side.

Capaldi-era Clara isn't like that. Both she and Twelve are smart, ambitious over-achievers. They joust with each other, and Clara develops as an adventurer until she's the Doctor's peer and equal.

So many previous companions have as their exit point an acknowledgement that, essentially, they can't keep up with the Doctor, that his life is too dangerous and intense and difficult for their limited human intellects, and so they've got to step back from it (or it catches them out and they wind up with some sort of tragic-ish ending, like Amy or Donna). Clara winds up with her own TARDIS and her own companion and her own adventures, and it's the perfect ending for her. She develops into someone who's symbolically equivalent to the Doctor, rather than spending a few years as his emotional foil before getting zapped by a Zygon mind beam or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cant be the best while Donna Noble exists.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

Cant be the best while Donna Noble exists.

:hmmyes:

I mean, throw Jamie into any combination modern or classic show and the show immediately gets greater, but as a solo companion Donna was the absolute best of the modern era, and right up there with Sarah Jane from the classic series.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Donna being so... Donna was one of the best parts of s4, and that series was pretty drat great.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Donna being able to rein in the Doctor was a lot of fun

Jerusalem posted:

Anthony Ainley shows up.

Doctor: Wait... didn't you die.
Ainley: Nope!
Doctor: ...no... I mean didn't you REALLY die?
Ainley: Nope!

*fancy black car with silver trim rolls up and the window rolls down*
Delgado: Get in losers, we're bringing back the Classic era

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

Donna being able to rein in the Doctor was a lot of fun

*fancy black car with silver trim rolls up and the window rolls down*
Delgado: Get in losers, we're bringing back the Classic era

Peter Pratt *muffled screams from trunk*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/juanmao1997/status/1232715989344612352

Poor 9 being completely out of the loop

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God that is adorable.

Also I love that at first I thought Capaldi was Pertwee (I'm sure he'd be happy too :))

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/juanmao1997/status/1223639743860097025

McCoy and Jodie are tied at 5'6" as being the shortest actors to play the Doctor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/juanmao1997/status/1223639743860097025

McCoy and Jodie are tied at 5'6" as being the shortest actors to play the Doctor

quote:

this really gorgeous fan art but i just can't stop thinking of how much i disliked the way 13 was treated in episode 5. Ruth constantly belittled and insulted 13 and i just don't like how they treated the main character like a side character.

It really is super hosed up to have two Doctors where one keeps mocking and insulting the other one

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Moffat loves his cock jokes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, so these are my replacements. A dandy and a clown!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I eagerly anticipate the explanation of the other Doctor in three days next year hopefully eventually

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edward Mass posted:

I eagerly anticipate the explanation of the other Doctor in three days next year hopefully eventually

I either want it next episode, or I want it never.

Give me a mystery that is literally never answered, I want to see what happens.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cleretic posted:

Well, they never answered how the Doctor got out of a jam in Timelash!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

Honestly a whole bunch of inexplicable poo poo should be going on all the time due to time travel wonkiness and paradoxes and changing timelines. Another, unexplained Doctor? Sure! A single scene where there are two Grahams? Will probably never be acknowledged! The universe collapsing onto itself into infinity? Hell, that’s the opening titles!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, there’s definitely a Christmas/new year special this year, going by what was leaked filming (unless the finale goes somewhere very interesting).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would like to see a Hannukah special.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

I would like to see a Hannukah special.

Eight mini-episodes!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Edward Mass posted:

Eight mini-episodes!

Mini Eight episodes!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I only just caught up to the aired episodes and have been mostly enjoying them a lot, but then catching up to this thread has been a far wilder ride because I have apparently forgotten a HUGE amount of the last few series (or, among other things, did I never actually watch Hell Bent?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Mini Eight episodes!

So it's agreed, the lengthy time between modern seasons can be filled by The 8th Doctor Adventures. It's legally binding, BBC!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

Mini Eight episodes!

That’s where the RuthDoc came from. There’s actually 2 8th Doctors. The regular height 8th we know, and Mini Eight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually, there's a third one between the two. Middle Eight.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Actually, there's a third one between the two. Middle Eight.

Booo hisss

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He's been missing for a fair while, so it's understandable that you'd forget about him

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1233695916974014466

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

Well, they never answered how the Doctor got out of a jam in Timelash!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He just hung around until he got bored and wandered off to the next serial?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is the audio content in this bundle any good?

https://www.humblebundle.com/doctor...ics_book_bundle

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’s worth it for all those comics alone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For the ones I've heard, Destination Nerva is an interesting concept that doesn't really live up to its potential (it also has rough similarities to Empress of Mars from the 12th Doctor's final season), The Renaissance Man would have been a better launching point for The Fourth Doctor Adventures. UNIT: Extinction is solid if unspectacular and spends a fair bit of time trying to introduce all the new characters to go along with those that have already been seen on television. The 10th Doctor Adventure stories with Tennant and Tate are like sinking into a warm bath, it's very familiar and soothing to listen to the 10/Donna combo again.

I've heard very good things about Dalek Empire but never listened to them myself. Same deal with those earlier UNIT stories, I'm surprised they didn't put up UNIT: Dominion which is excellent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The irony. Also, best wishes her way.

https://twitter.com/caroleannford1/status/1228005916454400000

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dalek Empire is OK. Nothing too exciting, really, but it's fine.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Having got that bundle, it's worth it for the 11th Doctor comics alone. drat were those some good 11 stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp here we go, the last Doctor Who for awhile :sigh:

Oh my God I shouldn't find this as funny as I do :allears:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I do love Sacha Dhawans Master.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Deadly Assassin ref!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, they’re gonna kill Yaz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You're the best human being I've ever met."
"You're not so bad."

:allears: