Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i don't know, your opponent 2-for-1ing themselves to counter your uro and you replaying it next turn and drawing a card sounds pretty good to me. at least in any kind of fair matchup. which isn't that uncommon because of all the astrolab pile midrange decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not even close, Uro looks real lovely in any format that has Force of Will though lol.

I've seen Uro run in Bant miracles, BUG control, lands, loam, and Stryfo pile so I don't know what you are talking about. It's not a good target for FoW.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
My next dumb jankbru is gonna be golgari dreadhoard. It will be powerful, and a good deck.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

knox posted:

I've been fascinated by the art of Magic since seeing it in comic book store windows as a kid and it still has the best art, though I never played many if any traditional/D&D/card type of games. Really feel like learning the game and teaching my brother/family, they play board games occasionally that I have zero interest in and I think Magic would be a lot of fun. Spent some time on the main website reading the basic rules and checking different cards as much as I can. I would like to have some physical decks to be able to play with, though I'd probably learn the game through free video game if that's a decent idea?

the art stopped being good a while ago

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's swung back around quite a bit lately imo. Like it's a long ways away from the paintings of the old days and a lot is digital now, but there are some legitimately stunning pieces in the past few sets.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalvanoo posted:

av/post combo proves it to be true

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
See Seb McKinnon

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

kalvanoo posted:

Oh, please.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Oh, please.

their av is ice age sulfurous springs

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Count Bleck posted:

Oh, please.

its crap

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

their av is ice age sulfurous springs

Realistically I shouldn't be surprised.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the art isn’t as bad as the period from roughly RTR through Shadows, which was dire, but it’s not as good as it was during the period ice age-Urza block and probably never will be again

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
At some point the art direction became “hmm... can you make it look more like bad cgi? And maybe a little more forgettable. I want my eyes to slide right over the top half of the card without stopping.”

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Seb's current Kickstarter just announced that if he breaks 700k he'll be doing a collaboration piece with Rebecca Guay so uh yeah

there is still plenty of good art in magic

Framboise fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 28, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Squinky v2.0 posted:

At some point the art direction became “hmm... can you make it look more like bad cgi? And maybe a little more forgettable. I want my eyes to slide right over the top half of the card without stopping.”

This was Origins. Such a terrible set in every way.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
fine i'll rephrase: the art direction sucks now

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

kalvanoo posted:

Did they give up on that hardcover art book series? I know I haven't seen one for eldraine.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

kalvanoo posted:

This is the correct take. Being story-focused makes so many of the pieces so same-y, just highlighting the same characters ad nauseam

The flip side of that is that it's also true that the last few sets starting ~Ixalan have indeed had some of the best work in years

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

sit on my Facebook posted:

This is the correct take. Being story-focused makes so many of the pieces so same-y, just highlighting the same characters ad nauseam

The flip side of that is that it's also true that the last few sets starting ~Ixalan have indeed had some of the best work in years

Everything old is new again; remember when all the cards featured the crew of the Weatherlight? Like they were just commissioning character portraits and attaching them to random carts.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ShaneB posted:

This was Origins. Such a terrible set in every way.

origins is absolutely the bottom of the barrel in terms of art but i feel like any survey of recent catastrophes in MTG illustration has to bask in the richness of BFZ block. every part of it sucks as much as possible.
like even the expeditions... it is basically impossible to tell what colors most of them make at a glance, let alone what lands they are, exactly

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

kalvanoo posted:

I think they've turned it around recently. Battle for Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch were dire (in many ways) but I actively disliked looking at most of it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

like, check this poo poo out:

1) what is happening in this art? where are they? what angle are you looking on this scene from?
2) what type of card is this? creature, enchantment, instant, sorcery?
3) what color is this card? hurr durr devoid, very clever. what color of mana do you need to cast this?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1) what is happening in this art? where are they? what angle are you looking on this scene from?
3) what color is this card? hurr durr devoid, very clever. what color of mana do you need to cast this?

Without looking:

1) Sliver Eldrazi is killin' a whole lotta dudes. They are on a waste. I am flying by on my tiny helicopter that's currently turning.
2) Creature, 3-4 mana?
3) Devoid with red?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

No idea what that card is so I'll guess just from the art:

1.One creature is being returned to hand, the other is taking 2 damage. I'm somehow floating 12 feet in the air.
2. Instant
3. Blue and red.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

like, check this poo poo out:

Look if there was ever one set where the art should be incomprehensible using it on a set of HP Lovecraft ripoffs is art well spent

Draw whatever reasoning from this statement you would like

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seb McKinnon is a meme. Who you're really looking for is Anastasia Ovchinnikova, James Zapata, and Victor Adame Minguez

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i like a lot of that artist's recent card art honestly http://www.artofmtg.com/artist/victor-adame-minguez/

he's the one who did the jace puppet

edit: seb mckinnon is genuinely good lmao what does calling him a meme even mean

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's lots of good artists now

and lots of terrible, terrible art in the Ice Age->Saga era even if I think Saga had the best usage of story/style guide: each phase of urza's life corresponds to a color, and the style changes depending on era, which then influences the colors in a really robust manner. That they're definitely never doing against since we're back to weatherlight crew style art direction.

On topic I looked up Drew Tucker's artwork on scryfall when Seb unveiled that stretch goal and there's actually several really fantastic pieces. Comparing the two pieces https://scryfall.com/card/arn/60/city-in-a-bottle is just brutal. Like no offense to the technically proficient artwork in the vintage masters piece, but wow, it's so sterile.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Spiderdrake posted:

On topic I looked up Drew Tucker's artwork on scryfall when Seb unveiled that stretch goal and there's actually several really fantastic pieces. Comparing the two pieces https://scryfall.com/card/arn/60/city-in-a-bottle is just brutal. Like no offense to the technically proficient artwork in the vintage masters piece, but wow, it's so sterile.

City in a lamp.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

When did this:

Become hotter than this?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah old magic art was consistent high quality, unlike that new stuff

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

That's a celestial prism and there's no way it can be anything else because there are no other details. I don't know what you're talking about.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

When did this:

Become hotter than this?

They're both GILSs (grannies I'd like to sacrifice).

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 28, 2020

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

The art has gotten way better recently, but yeah everything from Origins up through the most recent Innistrad block was just awful for the most part.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elyv posted:

old art is diverse, not high-quality; as a result of that diversity there are some really fun, funny, creative, or evocative pieces that seldom show up in the current game (especially outside of poo poo like lairs) and also some weird dogshit and vague racism

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

old art is diverse, not high-quality; as a result of that diversity there are some really fun, funny, creative, or evocative pieces that seldom show up in the current game (especially outside of poo poo like lairs) and also some weird dogshit and vague racism

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OMG arguing about art is one of the dumbest things anyone could ever do lmao

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

OMG arguing about art is one of the dumbest things anyone could ever do lmao

as opposed to all the smart, important stuff people should be discussing in the magic: the gathering thread

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

as opposed to all the smart, important stuff people should be discussing in the magic: the gathering thread

LOL shut up idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The art is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The art seems fine? It has smoothed out as the direction has gotten more boring and conventional; the average quality of a card is probably higher than anything pre-2009/2010 but really great or really bad art is few and far in between.

I'm definitely nostalgic for some of the more distinct art from the sets that I grew up with - it'd be cool if they could get DiTerlizzi or even like Andrew Robinson to do a card every now and then - but calling it outright bad seems overblown.