Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
You both are wrong, Jean-Luc's reasons are clear as water and Hugh owes Picard far more than his sanity and life, I know that he will literally would let himself be assimilated a thousand times more if JLP would ask for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raffi no!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
The line read on "Locutus...?" was a hilarious choice by that background actor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Locutus? Locutus Ryerson?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Locutus? Locutus! It’s me! Remember me? Eighth of Fifteen! I was your assigned buddy on assimilation orientation day!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'll double-check when I get home but IIRC it's doubly weird because that was a Romulan, not an xB who called him that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'll double-check when I get home but IIRC it's doubly weird because that was a Romulan, not an xB who called him that

It's not

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My mistake! Dunno why I thought that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also if I had a instant handheld scanner that could tell me the age of things, I would probably scan myself at some point?

Oh my god I didn't even think of that :wtc:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My mistake! Dunno why I thought that.

I wasn't sure either, which is why I checked. It's a split second anyway, I just assumed that it was a Borg because they made a point of mentioning that the Borg won't forget who he is. Unrelated: Bringing back Hugh/Del Arco was a master stroke. The way he lights up and immediately hugs Picard and agrees to help him with whatever is so wholesome. Check out his twitter, he's so happy at the positive reaction to the episode.

Also I assumed the reclamation project was reclaiming Borg tech, but they're reclaiming Borg drones :unsmith: Stewart did a great job both expressing his trauma and how seeing others being healed helped him contextualize his own trauma.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah every scene with Hugh and Picard together was extremely :unsmith:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I kept waiting for her to do exactly that. Like, that was gonna be the reveal.

It can be handwaved by her being obviously too scared to do it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So wasn't red radioactive gas what did for Cap'n Pike

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Hugh survives. It'd be a huge dick move to kill him off. Dude is so wholesome and friendly and helpful.

Of course, this is DARK TREK, so that'll happen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Noise Complaint posted:

I half expected Hugh to turn around and growl "Not the right time!"

I really liked this one. I'm hoping that Picard pulls a Mandalorian in that there's been episodes focusing on one guest star or so like Hugh and Seven, who then go away but then they all come back and help out Picard for the finale.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

SPOILER FROM THE PREVIEW:

OUCH. That's gonna kill a few dinosaurs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ashpanash posted:

SPOILER FROM THE PREVIEW:

OUCH. That's gonna kill a few dinosaurs.

Got some serious Rogue One vibes from that shot. Love it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No sir, I don't like that one bit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just finishing up my watch and so far there's only one thing I wanna say

I love that ex-Borg dude that was like "Locutus?" when he saw Picard running down the corridor, like he ran into a highschool buddy at the grocery store

Noise Complaint posted:

lol yeah this

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 28, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I love that ex-Borg dude that was like "Locutus?" when he saw Picard running down the corridor, like he ran into a highschool buddy at the grocery store

I kinda read it more like the guy was perplexedly star struck. Like if you’re milling about at your job and then your boss goes running by with Brad Pitt in tow randomly. Because Locutus is like a Borg celebrity.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

After the mirror arc in DIS Season 1 I was thinking "So the Mirror Universe stuff is over, right? That's the last we've seen of the Ash Tyler storyline, right?" The moment where a few people sit with him in the lunch room was its high point, but it wasn't worth the rest of the screentime. Then they just keep on doing it for two episodes. At least the show and Michael Burnham finally state outright in the season finale that she was wrong in the first episode. The whole point of the series seems to be asking "is the Federation going to lose its way" as a source of tension like the tension of someone almost dying in an action scene, and even when it answers "no, never", it's not enthralling because they've been doing that for far too long. The tension also feels like it's a plain endorsement and bad writing. That feeling of Old Star Trek at the end doesn't make up for "what is this poo poo?" leading up to it.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 28, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

zoux posted:

Locutus? Locutus Ryerson?

BING! Watch out for that first teleportation, it's a doozy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

I kinda read it more like the guy was perplexedly star struck. Like if you’re milling about at your job and then your boss goes running by with Brad Pitt in tow randomly. Because Locutus is like a Borg celebrity.

Man I don't think we can really relate at all to whatever that guy was feeling.

Locutus was like... His mouth, or part of his brain, or like a memory of a dream

Seeing him over there could be a very disquieting out of body experience

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Maybe they go into it in more detail in Voyager, but I always thought Locutus (and also the queen, actually) were weird concepts, since they're deliberate and specific specialized, unique aspects instead of the faceless designations most Borg end up as.

So you're right, it's entirely possible that the dude got the scare of his post-Borg life, seeing one of 2 Borg important enough to have individual designations within the Collective just kind of stroll by him on a supposedly cut-off Cube.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We know there was more than one physical instantiation of the queen, but probably only ever one "locutus"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I like how starfleet's archival photo of Locutus is literally just a screencap from the TNG episode, with the viewscreen's LCARS in plain sight.

Like the Picard production staff didn't even bother cropping it to hide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0wV30UJdh8&t=264s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

We know there was more than one physical instantiation of the queen, but probably only ever one "locutus"

God, that’s a really interesting point. What if there are/were in fact more Locutuses besides Picard and that Locutus is a designated role when the Borg need a non-Queen interface. Like Seven of Nine was basically introduced as being a Locutus in all but name, a drone specifically granted a measure of individuality and identity for the purpose of interacting with the Voyager crew.

But yeah the Beta Quadrant Borg would definitely recognize Picard as THE Locutus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

piratepilates posted:

I like how starfleet's archival photo of Locutus is literally just a screencap from the TNG episode, with the viewscreen's LCARS in plain sight.

Like the Picard production staff didn't even bother cropping it to hide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0wV30UJdh8&t=264s

They’re carrying on a long and storied tradition of archival media in the Star Trek universe consisting of literal footage of the TV shows/movies and already existing promotional photos :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also nice little name-drop on the spatial trajector tech coming from the assimilated Sikarians, rip those guys

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah say what you like about Rogue One but it has the best directed space battle action of any of the films. They've continued the ww2 air and sea style of Star Wars that eschews strict realism (fighters handling like they're in an atmosphere, etc...) but has a consistent internal logic. There's a great sense of geography in that scene and the characters feel present in the moment. When the corvette rams the destroyer and you see it from the view on the bridge :discourse:

Of course a blank cheque helps realise that, but you still need to know how to not make it a confused nightmare.

A consistent visual style is more important that strict realism.

The Expanse's style has more nods to realism, but it's cool because they stick to it and go the extra mile by having super long range projectiles and doing things like have people get into space suits and depressurise the ship before getting into a railgun fight.

I think Star Trek battles work best when they stick to the submarine warfare metaphor. It suits the more tech and tactics focus, and things like cloak are a stand in for sound absorbing materials to beat sonar, nebulae are your topographical features of the sea bed, etc... If you watch the Hunt for Red October it feels a bit like a good Star Trek battle. DS9 leaned more into big naval destroyers blasting each other which is also fine (and probably more appropriate if you want fleets facing off), so one man fighter craft in Star Trek aren't implausible from a story perspective but they kind of break that mood. Even the Defiant was pushing it just a little for me... Heresy I know.

I say pick a metaphor that suits the style of show/film you're making and work within those confines to inspire creativity instead of just creating visual noise.

I don't even understand how battle damage works in Star Trek and I've been watching it nonstop almost for 20 years.

As far as I can tell, when phasers and photons hit the shields, the shock and impact is absorbed, but not fully (antimatter detonation and all) so it does minor damage. I base this off any unshielded ship getting instapopped. But then again, the Klingons shot god in the face and it was like, an m-80 sized explosion. The Trio was standing in front of it and weren't instantly vaporized.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shields absorb incoming energy at the hull and transfer that energy directly to the bridge consoles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Shields absorb incoming energy at the hull and transfer that energy directly to the bridge consoles.

.....where they heat up the rocks and slag.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I don't even understand how battle damage works in Star Trek and I've been watching it nonstop almost for 20 years.

As far as I can tell, when phasers and photons hit the shields, the shock and impact is absorbed, but not fully (antimatter detonation and all) so it does minor damage. I base this off any unshielded ship getting instapopped. But then again, the Klingons shot god in the face and it was like, an m-80 sized explosion. The Trio was standing in front of it and weren't instantly vaporized.

Battle damage is when everyone decides to sway a bit and Worf talks about what the percentage of shield it is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gonz posted:

.....where they heat up the rocks and slag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxy20bgot0Q

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Battle damage is when everyone decides to sway a bit and Worf talks about what the percentage of shield it is.

They way I've come to rationalise it is that impacts on shields cause bits of a ship's energy grid to burn out as it surges to stop weapons fire getting through. So shield integrity dropping is really the underlying machinery burning out through stress (which is why it doesn't just immediately recharge to full). A big enough hit causes fuses to blow all over the ship, which is why your bridge console explodes. Hull armour isn't a thing, but if the plot doesn't require you to explode then in Star Trek a forcefield that keeps air in is apparently trivial enough to do that you don't actually need much of a hull to do it (see that early Discovery episode where Burnham's room gets blown up).

Obviously it's all just make believe, but I think it's actually pretty consistent that a direct hit to engines means suddenly exploding, whereas anything else is either superficial or disabling. That seems to be the writer's code.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

forcefield that keeps air in is apparently trivial enough to do that you don't actually need much of a hull to do it (see that early Discovery episode where Burnham's room gets blown up).

also

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

lol yeah this

I can already tell my equally Trek-nerd coworker and I are gonna hit each other with that when we pass in the hall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
RLM put out another Picard episode. It looks like they've run out of takes stolen from around the internet and their predictions are just trash now.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Wild speculation: the Romulans didn't invent the Borg, they are descended from Synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Latest Picard was actually kind of good and feels like it's getting on pace. Loved the shot of Picard's face overlayed with Locutus'. Show feels like it's headed somewhere now.