Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No. in Tears is a powerful measurement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that game's premise rules, the pitch is you got a debilitating illness fighting the final boss so now you just have to finish up you affairs in the five days you have left

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relin posted:

DD fell into the same trap as hollow knight where they kept making the game more difficult and alienated some players because of the minority begging for more difficulty

All the increased difficulty in HK is optional DLC stuff though

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

that game's premise rules, the pitch is you got a debilitating illness fighting the final boss so now you just have to finish up you affairs in the five days you have left

What game is this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What game is this?

hero must die again. just came out on switch and pc, though it was released as a jp-only vita game a few years ago.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 27, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a game directed by a guy who wrote a bunch of famously weird playstation rpgs (linda cube, ore no shikabane, abarenbou princess) and iirc according to an interview the way the game got made is that he came up with the idea and tried pitching it to a bunch of studios and nobody would pick it up so he got depressed and put it on his blog with a note saying "please someone let me make this game" and then like years later a studio contacted him about it

really glad it's finally gotten localized and rereleased

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

waah posted:

I got a decent way (say 20 or so hours) into DG2 and it's biggest sin is that it's just boring.
There are a couple weird warp puzzles that get annoying, but nothing obnoxious for the genre.
If you want just mean for no reason dungeon design, look to the Class of Heroes series.

Levantine posted:

Demon Gaze is a lot more forgiving than SoSC. No perma-death or anything like that. The difficulty spikes really come when you encounter a boss you're not really geared for. This can happen if you get bad rolls when using gems at circles so sometimes you're forced to grind them a bit for competitive gear.

Oh, cool. Since these types of RPGs are my relaxing maintenance gaming, that whole gameplay loop is definitely my jam, including grinding out some advantage.

And yeah. I remember trying to play Class of Heroes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Colonel posted:

it's a game directed by a guy who wrote a bunch of famously weird playstation rpgs (linda cube, ore no shikabane, abarenbou princess) and iirc according to an interview the way the game got made is that he came up with the idea and tried pitching it to a bunch of studios and nobody would pick it up so he got depressed and put it on his blog with a note saying "please someone let me make this game" and then like years later a studio contacted him about it

This is cute as all hell

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

That's a really neat premise for a game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Is it a full JRPG and that's the epilogue, or is that the full game premise?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it a full JRPG and that's the epilogue, or is that the full game premise?

That's the whole game. It starts with you beating the boss.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

This lich in Xanadu Next being able to steal my levels is extremely hosed up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The 7th Guest posted:

i would activate move silently and lurk, then start trying to go past monsters and they'd keep detecting me. and this was with covert at lvl 3

that shouldn't happen at all, i don't know what was wrong but you should be able to just waltz past everything even in tight spaces like the corridors in the holy grail quest

i know every monster type has something they key onto, but for real they're supposed to be completely unable to detect you. were you CASTING them or just EQUIPPING them? because they don't tell you this but they're active skills, and the only thing Covert influences is the duration.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

holy poo poo, there's a boss that's a monster that bursts up from under the ground and they called it a Graboid!!!!

wild arms 4 rules (also tremors rules)

The White Dragon posted:

that shouldn't happen at all, i don't know what was wrong but you should be able to just waltz past everything even in tight spaces like the corridors in the holy grail quest

i know every monster type has something they key onto, but for real they're supposed to be completely unable to detect you. were you CASTING them or just EQUIPPING them? because they don't tell you this but they're active skills, and the only thing Covert influences is the duration.
yeah i was casting them. had the little colored circles around me. still had monsters come at me. the effects don't last that long even at lvl 3 either

don't get me wrong, i was able to avoid SOME encounters, but going up mt scurve a second time i still got detected a lot and it was v. frustrating

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish there was an english translation of crime crackers 1 or 2, the ps1 real-time dungeon crawling fps games where you switch between three to four characters who have different guns and it's made by the same dev studio as wild arms so they just put moor gault in them as an item.

or heavy metal thunder, the media.vision ps2 heavy metal-themed rpg where you play as a guy going on a 30-year-long journey participating in underground robot arena battles on a remote island so he can one day kill his dad and by the end of the game the protag is like in his 50s or something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah i was casting them. had the little colored circles around me. still had monsters come at me. the effects don't last that long even at lvl 3 either

i guess i used them to gring jewels because, yknow. i actually kept a stealth mule around for most of the game, the weird guy from the frontier. walter? milton? waldo? i forget. eventually i replaced him with captain silver. whose first name is apparently Captain

so when you're using it to grind, lv3 feels like it lasts for EVER lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Media Vision's weird polygon making puzzle game for the PS2 is cool and has a great soundtrack

Can't remember the name but I think it was on a GDQ

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Colonel posted:

i wish there was an english translation of crime crackers 1 or 2, the ps1 real-time dungeon crawling fps games where you switch between three to four characters who have different guns and it's made by the same dev studio as wild arms so they just put moor gault in them as an item.

or heavy metal thunder, the media.vision ps2 heavy metal-themed rpg where you play as a guy going on a 30-year-long journey participating in underground robot arena battles on a remote island so he can one day kill his dad and by the end of the game the protag is like in his 50s or something

You bring up niche untranslated games often enough that giving learning Japanese a shot seems like it could be a worthwhile endeavor for you, takes time but it's pretty fun once you get in the groove of it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i would activate move silently and lurk, then start trying to go past monsters and they'd keep detecting me. and this was with covert at lvl 3

I don't remember it failing. Levels only affect the duration with each level adding 4 seconds to its base 4 second duration.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

hero must die again. just came out on switch and pc, though it was released as a jp-only vita game a few years ago.

This seems like a really cool premise, but I'm concerned it'd trigger my existential dread something fierce. Also that it could be depressing. What's the tone like?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hero must die again sounds like am awesome premise, and i hope i remember to look it up when i get home...

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Kild posted:

I don't remember it failing. Levels only affect the duration with each level adding 4 seconds to its base 4 second duration.

I think also there is one type of enemy who can see through both move silent and lurk, and every other enemy type is divided up into sound-detecting, which are fooled by move silent but not lurk, and movement-detecting, which are the other way around. This becomes a good way of conserving skill usage if you're just trying to get past one type since you don't have to fire off both skills, but since you can't trigger them both at the same time one will always wear off a little before the other and potentially leave you exposed depending on how close you are to the wrong type.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Morpheus posted:

This seems like a really cool premise, but I'm concerned it'd trigger my existential dread something fierce. Also that it could be depressing. What's the tone like?

Maybe a little depressing? But not much. The hero actually died fighting the final boss and everyone in the world knows what's up with his brief return (there's literally a notice posted in every single town) plus it seems like a little bit of time has passed since the end of the war so there aren't any tearful reveals happening. It's pretty flippant about it, since it's all about repeating the 5 days over and over because there's no way to do everything in just one go around.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 27, 2020

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The game also tries to explore what happens after a JRPG bad guy is gone. Everything didn't magically become better, there's economic instability, tension between people/races now that their common enemy is gone, and so on. Although this is mainly represented by dealing with the problems of 8 other heroines.
Still, it's an all around pretty neat idea and I'm glad I heard about the dev's backstory.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Visiting the places that were hit hardest in the war and hearing about their struggle to get support from the king in his pristine castle all the way over on the opposite end of the kingdom is more depressing than the hero's situation yeah

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
is the true final boss the monarchy

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone know anything about this Edge of Eternity game? I seem to have wishlisted it at some point and it looks like it's EA, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
wish that linda cubed translation would finish

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

waah posted:

Look the game actively hates you, and knows you'll keep playing because the gritty aesthetic is few other jRPGs, much less dungeon crawlers.

Just shut up and accept the fact that you are sinking tons of hours into a game that despises you.

Also, if you aren't grinding experience in the hidden room of the Masuleum of Flames by killing countless butterflies, you're doing it wrong.

honestly outside the weirdly punishing death mechanic i never had much trouble with stranger of sword city. it throws a few curveballs at you sure but nothing you cant handle. even the death thing is easily solved by thinking of character deaths as game overs for the most part. your dudes shouldnt be dying that much in the first place

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The biggest issue is it doesn't feel thoughtfully difficult, just tedious. Like where I quit I have no feeling that Im not prepared to continue on, just that I dont really care to because this core loop of padding will not only continue but grow worse as the games stand in for a difficulty curve

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Barudak posted:

The biggest issue is it doesn't feel thoughtfully difficult, just tedious. Like where I quit I have no feeling that Im not prepared to continue on, just that I dont really care to because this core loop of padding will not only continue but grow worse as the games stand in for a difficulty curve

seems fair enough. i enjoyed it enough myself to finish the game but tbh i did play the game when i was unemployed and had nothing else to play so your mileage may vary

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

babypolis posted:

honestly outside the weirdly punishing death mechanic i never had much trouble with stranger of sword city. it throws a few curveballs at you sure but nothing you cant handle. even the death thing is easily solved by thinking of character deaths as game overs for the most part. your dudes shouldnt be dying that much in the first place

"I beat Demon Gaze on the hardest difficulty, why not do the same with SoSc"

Rich Evans voice: "Oh my gawwwd"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

that guy seems like he does a lot of cool and more exploratory(this is the right term i think??) looks at rpgs and the premises in em, so it's really nice his work is getting more notice! :)

linda cube is the pre-apocalyptic noah's ark rpg, right?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
occasionally during square sales i like to go and check how much they're still charging for i am setsuna and lost sphear, and have a soft laugh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've actually only beaten a few FF games in my life

FF6
FF7
FF12
FF13-2
FF13-3

games wehre i got to the final boss and said gently caress it

FFX
FF13

i had been thinking about getting FF5 but the only legally available versions are PS1, and Mobile/PC. so the one has the better visual style but lots of load times, and the other has no load times but the bizarre mismatch of art assets and bad tiling (plus mobile UI which they have not adjusted at all for PC)

i'm not interested in FF8 or FF9 because i'm a loving snob who hates the 15fps battles and that speeding up battles speeds up everything

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Never played a Tactics?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i had been thinking about getting FF5 but the only legally available versions are PS1, and Mobile/PC. so the one has the better visual style but lots of load times, and the other has no load times but the bizarre mismatch of art assets and bad tiling (plus mobile UI which they have not adjusted at all for PC)

You could buy the PC version and then just emulate it anyway

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Never played a Tactics?
i've played Tactics, i've played FF1, FF3, FF8, FF9, FFX-2, FF15, Type-0... the only FFs I've never played are FF2, FFTA, FF11 and FF14

oh I should also mention I DID beat the Crystal Chronicles Wii game where you throw things at enemies, that was a silly game and it looked real nice. never played crystal chronicles itself, though i have played my life as a king. i feel like spinoffs are a whole other discussion though because there's a billion

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

i've played Tactics, i've played FF1, FF3, FF8, FF9, FFX-2, FF15, Type-0... the only FFs I've never played are FF2, FFTA, FF11 and FF14

oh I should also mention I DID beat the Crystal Chronicles Wii game where you throw things at enemies, that was a silly game and it looked real nice. never played crystal chronicles itself, though i have played my life as a king. i feel like spinoffs are a whole other discussion though because there's a billion

I meant to say beat, because the Advance ones are pretty easy to finish.

You're still doing better than me though. I've only beaten 2, 4DS, 6, FFTA and FFTA2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm not interested in FF8 or FF9 because i'm a loving snob who hates the 15fps battles and that speeding up battles speeds up everything

Isn't FF8 and 9 have remaster version(PS1 game upscale and have some assets redone a little bit) that runs well? I totally sympathise with the 15fps issue, I tried to play Xenogear recently and got almost to disk 2 before giving up because of the lovely framerate.