Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Hello friends I played this game when first released with the Starfleet Dental guys as the Syntoc family. I really was never into PVP or grinding. I enjoyed the worker and and production aspect. Have they improved or changed this in anyway? Cooking was a decent source of income for me at the time, but the bottle neck items like milk were always annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently game is free outside of Steam as well
https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/3654

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 28, 2020

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

BubbaGrace posted:

Hello friends I played this game when first released with the Starfleet Dental guys as the Syntoc family. I really was never into PVP or grinding. I enjoyed the worker and and production aspect. Have they improved or changed this in anyway? Cooking was a decent source of income for me at the time, but the bottle neck items like milk were always annoying.

I was reading through the change log posted above. They appear to have revamped milk collection (making it an actually profitable energy dump for alts) and improved imperial cooking and alchemy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

BubbaGrace posted:

I really was never into PVP or grinding. I enjoyed the worker and and production aspect. Have they improved or changed this in anyway? Cooking was a decent source of income for me at the time, but the bottle neck items like milk were always annoying.

Workers and workshops haven't changed all that much. The only significant change that I can remember is that they doubled the workload and yield of all nodes, so for the most part goblins are just the best for everything. Cooking can be decent income should you want to do it. High-end grinding is always going to be better because PA can't have lifeskills being competitive with that, but that's nothing new. Milk and eggs are still bottlenecks for things that use them--milk is a little easier to get now since there are random cooking quests that can pop up that give 1k and the milking game gives about 3 milk/energy instead of the old 1/energy. A lot of recipes use meat, so if you hate gathering that'll suck. There have also been changes so you gather a lot faster, one of which is a specific pet. Also you cook about 3x faster now.

van fem posted:

I was reading through the change log posted above. They appear to have revamped milk collection (making it an actually profitable energy dump for alts) and improved imperial cooking and alchemy.

Improved cooking. Imperial alchemy is pretty awful now, probably was better before the change

J
Jun 10, 2001

Gathering/cooking/alchemy/fishing and the other crafting/production skills all have gear progression now. You get mastery from gear and your actual skill level which makes you do all of those things better. Here's the mastery system patch notes that sorta explains how each skill benefits from mastery.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Jumping in on lifeskills chat to say that lucky or magical tools are generally better than mastery tools (loggia, dottster, manos) until about 600-650 mastery, then you should pivot to at least a tri loggia tool. They're pretty easy to get, if patient, and good for the money.

However, green and blue grade lifeskill gear is NOT cost-effective to enhance. If you want to enhance any lifeskill tools or clothes it should be on manos gear. It will take longer to see the return on your investment, so I'd suggest buying lucky/magical tools until you decide you like lifeskilling enough to invest in the gear.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Is game still massively p2w? Also are pets still expensive as gently caress just to get basic autoloot.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Is game still massively p2w? Also are pets still expensive as gently caress just to get basic autoloot.

Yes but you shouldn't care about 'winning.' Yes if you care about T4s, but they're the same price for T1s as always. They have made it so you can guarantee upgrades instead of gambling but it ends up costing about the same amount on average. They did add toggles for pets so you can make them loot 10% faster than their base rate which makes the lower tier pets a lot better than they used to be

Also the real best way to P2W is to pay someone in southeast asia to play your game for you all day so whatever

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 28, 2020

stump collector
May 28, 2007
There are a few siege guilds with many players famous for paying pilots and never playing the game, except for posting their gear scores and ERPing in calpheon 2 I guess. Most of the people who are 700 gearscore are incredibly bad but I guess 50-100k on selling costumes makes you pretty tough to deal with

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The barrier of entry for the game is now lower than before. The game gives you 4 free pets through the story and you can get another free one from occasional events. You will only really need higher tier pets at higher gear levels where you are whipping trash packs instantly.

Olvia servers can take you at at 100% extra exp till 61 and there are constant 200% exp events going on so leveling to "softcap" is easier than ever. The game gives you a ton of PVE gear so that you can grind efficiently without much issues and you dont have to engage in the horrible crafting system and even if you did they spit out advice of valks and valk crys for when you want to actually try it out.

They've made a blue set of armor thats almost as good as boss gear so you can craft that if you are casual and dont care about PVP at a fraction of the cost than boss gear. Eventually they'll give players a set of tri boss armor that cant be upgraded that you can use till you get your own set to tet.

At the same time, there is a lot of power and convenience you can straight up buy from the store. Buying a tent is a huge boost to your grinding capability since you dont have to be limited to your gear degrading, you can get villa buffs from them. Maids can help you transfer gear while grinding so you can stay at a spot indefinitely with both them and a tent. You can straight up buy top tier gear by selling cash shop dresses in the market. But to get that pen gear or whatever you'd have to sell like 40 dresses so you are making 40 people really happy for a marginal boost in ap/dp over someone with tet. Even now PvP is mostly relegated to contesting grind spots and well with the increase spawn rates you can pretty much grind anywhere without actually confronting anyone.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The barrier of entry for the game is now lower than before. The game gives you 4 free pets through the story and you can get another free one from occasional events. You will only really need higher tier pets at higher gear levels where you are whipping trash packs instantly.

Pretty sure you get a free pet via Returning Player Rewards. I have like 4 of those donkey birds laying around I haven't used. Mostly because I only afk fish 24/7

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

diapermeat posted:

Pretty sure you get a free pet via Returning Player Rewards. I have like 4 of those donkey birds laying around I haven't used. Mostly because I only afk fish 24/7

Back in the day when I played BDO you needed a lot of luck to find a premium item (an item from the real-money shop) on market. People put it up on the market and
someone instantly bought it. If they change that a bit so you have to bit on an item I would seriously consider coming back. But I don't wanna pay like 30€ just for one outfit and you can't but it
with silver.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Workers and workshops haven't changed all that much. The only significant change that I can remember is that they doubled the workload and yield of all nodes, so for the most part goblins are just the best for everything. Cooking can be decent income should you want to do it. High-end grinding is always going to be better because PA can't have lifeskills being competitive with that, but that's nothing new. Milk and eggs are still bottlenecks for things that use them--milk is a little easier to get now since there are random cooking quests that can pop up that give 1k and the milking game gives about 3 milk/energy instead of the old 1/energy. A lot of recipes use meat, so if you hate gathering that'll suck. There have also been changes so you gather a lot faster, one of which is a specific pet. Also you cook about 3x faster now.

Improved cooking. Imperial alchemy is pretty awful now, probably was better before the change

Gathering meat was never a problem. I had a spot i would go with a sorc and just wipe out boars by pulling into one big pile. I remember I was building/crafting high tier whatever the tool was to gather meat. I also had I think a II or III set of the gathering outfit. It's been a few years so I'm not entirely clear how it all worked.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Chalkece posted:

Back in the day when I played BDO you needed a lot of luck to find a premium item (an item from the real-money shop) on market. People put it up on the market and
someone instantly bought it. If they change that a bit so you have to bit on an item I would seriously consider coming back. But I don't wanna pay like 30€ just for one outfit and you can't but it
with silver.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they did away with the bid system, and there are now buy orders in place.

I know I have used buy orders to get 30 day value packs (up to 7 of them now). Last I checked at the beginning of the week there were 2300 buy orders for them for 133m, it takes me about 5 days to get a value pack on average. I don't know if you can do buy orders with costumes, as the last one I bought for my Musa, there were a ton posted.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

diapermeat posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they did away with the bid system, and there are now buy orders in place.

This is correct. This also meant you can actually preorder pearl items instead of having to either use a market maid or alt to buy pearl itmes.

BubbaGrace posted:

Gathering meat was never a problem. I had a spot i would go with a sorc and just wipe out boars by pulling into one big pile. I remember I was building/crafting high tier whatever the tool was to gather meat. I also had I think a II or III set of the gathering outfit. It's been a few years so I'm not entirely clear how it all worked.

If you don't mind gathering meat, it's okay money too. Some people hate gathering with a passion though

Chalkece posted:

But I don't wanna pay like 30€ just for one outfit and you can't but it
with silver.

If you're talking in euros I have bad news for you. Euros don't p2w as hard, so there's less to go around even with the new market

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you're talking in euros I have bad news for you. Euros don't p2w as hard, so there's less to go around even with the new market

So on US servers you have premium items available? Maybe I should switch from eu to us server. Thanks for info dude.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Chalkece posted:

So on US servers you have premium items available? Maybe I should switch from eu to us server. Thanks for info dude.

More available anyways. It's either more available or the time between order and it filling is generally shorter. This isn't something new though

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sounds a bit better than it was, at least? Will probably regret it but guess it's a good a time as any to try it again.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Absolutely better than it was. The time before the Central market was absolutely loving horrible for casual players to progress in any meaningful way as all of the best items were never listed because everyone knew the caps were dogshit and you lost money by doing so. Now things are different and if you can understand the market you can buy and sell specific items and make a profit without playing / p2winning an obnoxious amount

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

stump collector posted:

Absolutely better than it was. The time before the Central market was absolutely loving horrible for casual players to progress in any meaningful way as all of the best items were never listed because everyone knew the caps were dogshit and you lost money by doing so. Now things are different and if you can understand the market you can buy and sell specific items and make a profit without playing / p2winning an obnoxious amount

With "you get 30% less from the market if you aren't a premium user" stuff? I'm wondering why they did that. I mean they have a lot of players,
those players pay for that and whenever they release a new character people buy an outfit and max inventory slots. Sounds like making easy money.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'd still say it's better because you can put in orders for pearl shop items now like the value packs. I didn't play back in the early days before value packs were in the game, so..it's better than it was in mid 2017 I guess.

The two best consistent long term moneymaking activities in the game are imperial cooking and crate tradeins, which don't need a valuepack running.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 3, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whoever tells you can make money from enhancing is an idiot. You'll lose a whole lot more in the process than what you make back from the market even with the value pack. But yeah crafting is good money

Also we are starting a 4th anniversary event that gives you a free tier 4 pet, so log in every single day to pick it up. Also 200% exp on everyone and another 300% when you speak with the knight that shows up while grinding, hilariously fast leveling for new players. Also a loving +100 advice of valks to use on a tet weapon or accessory

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

What do you guys think about the new class? The guardian? Is she good for grinding or pvp?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Chalkece posted:

What do you guys think about the new class? The guardian? Is she good for grinding or pvp?

Her awakening is great for grinding. The abilities she uses to grind hit a huge area, do a lot of damage, and have low cooldowns so they rotate very nicely. Most of them have super armor too. She also has a passive that heals her every time she hits something. For pvp I'm not sure but it seems like it would be rough just because she's very slow and doesn't seem to have much capability to be unpredictable. All the good pvp classes right now are super fast and can probably run in and grab or get behind guardian very easily.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

J posted:

Her awakening is great for grinding. The abilities she uses to grind hit a huge area, do a lot of damage, and have low cooldowns so they rotate very nicely. Most of them have super armor too. She also has a passive that heals her every time she hits something. For pvp I'm not sure but it seems like it would be rough just because she's very slow and doesn't seem to have much capability to be unpredictable. All the good pvp classes right now are super fast and can probably run in and grab or get behind guardian very easily.

Let me guess.. Endgame is still pvp only? So wouldn't make any sense to use her as main character..

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Chalkece posted:

Let me guess.. Endgame is still pvp only? So wouldn't make any sense to use her as main character..

Endgame is an endless gear grind, whether that is an end or a means is up to you. If you derive your satisfaction in games from things like 'endgame pvp,' I'd recommend not playing

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do alts work in this game, and how much of a helping hand can they get from your main? Would I be starting completely from scratch if I had a Lahn and cooked up, say, a Mystic?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Generally you just have to get a new set of weapons. You can transfer all four armors and six accessories. Classes like warrior/Valkyrie and striker/mystic share main hands and subweapons, but most weapons are somewhat unique. All awakening weapons are unique to one class.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right, but what about nodes, skills, and so on?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but what about nodes, skills, and so on?

That's all family based, energy and contribution points etc, pretty much everything but your weapons is family based and can be used by any alt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I see. And I hear you can gain stuff while you're logged off/not using particular characters, like in EVE. How does that work?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
You get one energy per hour when offline. Not very big, I guess. You also earn a daily pay based on your family fame and if you logged off to take a long break or whatever you'd get paid your bonus per x days

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

gwrtheyrn posted:

Endgame is an endless gear grind, whether that is an end or a means is up to you. If you derive your satisfaction in games from things like 'endgame pvp,' I'd recommend not playing

Well "endgame pvp" is not what i want at all. But people told me that is the endgame content. No raids, no dungeons only pvp and making silver.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Pretty much. There are a total of two group grind zones in the game. A few of the new updates plan to implement roughly three to five new group zones, but they're all for really high geared players.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chalkece posted:

Well "endgame pvp" is not what i want at all. But people told me that is the endgame content. No raids, no dungeons only pvp and making silver.

Might be better to think of it as an empire builder, where combat is only part of your toolkit. More EVE than WOW.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Huh, I did not expect that the character designer would let you make female characters so buff. My Mystic actually looks like she could punch an ogre to death. That's neat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chalkece posted:

Her awakening is good for grinding, maybe not as good as mystique in certain areas do to her limited movement abilities but her fast long range sprint on a short cooldown can help her go from long distance pack to long distance pack easily making her good in places where packs might be spread out.

She got her succession already I think and seems better for PVP particularly large scale pvp. I dont know about 1v1 pvp though, but any class with a grab,lots of super armor and enough front end damage to 100% a dude can be good if played well.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Her awakening is good for grinding, maybe not as good as mystique in certain areas do to her limited movement abilities but her fast long range sprint on a short cooldown can help her go from long distance pack to long distance pack easily making her good in places where packs might be spread out.

She got her succession already I think and seems better for PVP particularly large scale pvp. I dont know about 1v1 pvp though, but any class with a grab,lots of super armor and enough front end damage to 100% a dude can be good if played well.

Tbh I really hope their playstyle change with the awakening weapon. I really liked Maehwa but I guess she's no longer very good for grinding, right?

Chalkece fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 5, 2020

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'm thinking you'll be thrilled with her awakening kit. I'm pretty sure any class is good at pve these days if you are willing to put the time in. Mae/Musa are probably the one of the best choices for the types of spots you'll be frequenting before you're super geared and start caring about ideal silver per hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Some realllllyyyy good attendance rewards for the 4th year anniversary if you were on the fence about coming back.