Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like that Nightcrawler is so drunk with the idea that he'll be reborn that he has no problem teleporting into an unknown, nigh impregnable tower. All the mutants are becoming reckless as gently caress and I'm here for it. I feel like when a mutant pops up in other books, they should just be like loving berserkers no matter what the threat is. Everybody is Wolverine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LifeGetsWorser posted:

I think the reasoning for "why Krakoa now?" Question is that Moira knew now was the inflection point for the Sentinels/Orchis and so Xavier/Magneto/Moira decided they needed to get everything in motion or it'd be too late. At least that's what I was reading into it.

Again, I don't think this question matters- just enjoy the loving story!- but this is actually the inverse of what has been shown/told. Orchis protocols were launched in response to Krakoa, not the other way around. That's another minor plot/time travel issue with Moira knowing- supposedly- when Nimrod comes online but inadvertently causing that to happen. Also, the Mystique issue also hints that the suicide mission that killed the MotherMold is what inspires Nimrod anyway. This might be part of the inevitability of the machine rise, but it still doesn't answer "why Krakoa now?"

One other option: only now do they have The Five and resurrection down so they launched their nation in conjunction with that.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Agree with a lot that has been said, loved all the books this week. I can't help but think Warlock is going to get involved with this Giant Size X-men, but maybe that's just because I read X-men right before Giant Size.

Endless Mike posted:

None of which is to say they couldn't have slightly tighter editorial control here.
One other really weird thing about the editorial control here: in HOX there was a list of all omega mutants, and their affiliation. In addition to Franklin, Mr. M and Legion were listed as unknown. Since only one omega mutant isn't affiliated with Krakoa in the the mutant infographic in FF/X-Men, am I supposed to assume that Mr. M and Legion went to Krakoa between these events? Or just a much more likely oversight?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think you’re misreading the mutant infographic. All omega level mutants (26) are listed by themselves.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think you’re misreading the mutant infographic. All omega level mutants (26) are listed by themselves.
Ah. I see. You're right. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/annalisebissa/status/1233130276668264448?s=20

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fritzler posted:

Agree with a lot that has been said, loved all the books this week. I can't help but think Warlock is going to get involved with this Giant Size X-men, but maybe that's just because I read X-men right before Giant Size.

One other really weird thing about the editorial control here: in HOX there was a list of all omega mutants, and their affiliation. In addition to Franklin, Mr. M and Legion were listed as unknown. Since only one omega mutant isn't affiliated with Krakoa in the the mutant infographic in FF/X-Men, am I supposed to assume that Mr. M and Legion went to Krakoa between these events? Or just a much more likely oversight?

Warlock gonna be too busy loving, bro.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Adder Moray posted:

Sue's "they're not heroes anymore" really drives the point home. "They're not freely doing for us anymore so they can no longer be trusted." Meanwhile Reed just had that whole spiel about his family not coming back for so long because they were tired of being heroes.

Saw a remark on Twitter to the effect of "Sue in this miniseries has been written like she wants to speak to the manager of Krakoa" and I found that fairly apt

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Saw a remark on Twitter to the effect of "Sue in this miniseries has been written like she wants to speak to the manager of Krakoa" and I found that fairly apt

Perfect description

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Krakoa would probably be a lot more popular if their manager would just keep his drat mouth shut.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doug hiding Warlock and doing something with Krakoa is super creepy. I'm sure it's related to the Phalanx in some way, but hell if I know how.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rand Brittain posted:

Krakoa would probably be a lot more popular if their manager would just keep his drat mouth shut.

Now I can't help but imagine Magneto floating over to the cash register of a fast food place going "Perhaps if you had the wisdom that you so casually presume you are entitled to, instead of the gall to shout demands at your betters, you would not be eating in an establishment like this in the first place"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh it's so unfair to Sue 'cuz I still heart her but...yeah. Pretty much that exactly. And then it turns out her kids aren't there, just like Cyclops said, so, whoopsies Susan! v:v:v Guess you just snuck into someone's house for nothing! But mutants are creeps so it's okay to be creeps at them, right?

I'm a little bit more surprised at Reed's reaction to everything tbh. Back in AvX -- which Hickman also wrote, but I don't blame anyone for trying to forget of course -- Reed had the remarkable mindset that he'd been waiting for...not the mutant takeover exactly, but this sociopolitical forward-shift in society for a while now. It was one of the interesting parts of AvX, that he actually didn't like the rotten society they'd lived in and would welcome someone dragging it kicking and screaming to the future. But now he's like, oh no the mutants are selling medicine! Bich!...do you give out your poo poo for free? I think not! :colbert:

danbanana posted:

I think all of the things you point out here are intentional.
I do agree. Hickman is very cognizant of all the cracks and fractures in this society, he's not shy about calling attention to them very directly in the text.

The nitpick for me here is that acknowledgment only goes so far. I was under the impression, maybe wrongly, that this issue would finally address the weirdness of the mind transferring into cloned bodies and how that doesn't mean you're the person that you were...and it does address it, but only insofar that it has a character go "Yes, this sure is weird right?" and then set it aside to be addressed (or not!) another day. Whenever.

Particularly since, like, we'd been waiting a long time to get some insight into the thoughts and opinions of someone on the Council who's not...y'know, Mr. Sinister or Apocalypse or Sebastian Shaw. Someone who's a bona fide X-Man with a bona fide, functional moral compass. And now we get to hear Kurt's thoughts and it's just...well, he sure is conflicted, I guess. And then the end, issue done.

I understand that's just how Hickman does things. Drops a buncha highbrow concepts on the table, goes "Have fun with it, bye now," then just has it simmer forever, and sometimes it really works well for his narrative. But it makes his characters feel like...like they literally don't exist when they're not on the page, which obviously they don't 'cuz they're fictional characters, but I'm not sure how else to explain it.
but anyway

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I suppose you could compare it to the way that Steven Universe absolutely never has characters ask questions like "so, are we planning to leave Bismuth in the basement forever?" if that would take 20 seconds out of their 11-minute episode that's about something else.

Eventually you find out that yes, Bismuth has been on Steven's mind, but it does bug people that it's never mentioned in between, and it requires a certain amount of faith in the medium that maybe modern comics publishers haven't earned lately.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I never liked the whole "Superheroes don't care about mutants" thing because it's just way to meta. Like of course characters don't show up in other peoples books outside the occasional crossover. You never say Spider-Man doesn't care about Californians because he never shows up to help in West Coast Avengers. And in fact their are tons of crossovers where non-mutant heroes help out the X-Men and vice-versa. Or stories where Captain America or whoever defends a mutant and punches a Sentinel or something. It seems a wholly invented animus.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds like X Factor is going to cover a lot of the questions people are having.

I bet the X Office retreat was loving wild when they were bashing out this new status quo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

galagazombie posted:

I never liked the whole "Superheroes don't care about mutants" thing because it's just way to meta. Like of course characters don't show up in other peoples books outside the occasional crossover. You never say Spider-Man doesn't care about Californians because he never shows up to help in West Coast Avengers. And in fact their are tons of crossovers where non-mutant heroes help out the X-Men and vice-versa. Or stories where Captain America or whoever defends a mutant and punches a Sentinel or something. It seems a wholly invented animus.

Yeah, it's not fair to blame the Fantastic Four for not doing things that, from the perspective of their books, they are doing. Or at least you can't build any heat off of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, it's not fair to blame the Fantastic Four for not doing things that, from the perspective of their books, they are doing. Or at least you can't build any heat off of it.

Ehh, if M day hadn't already happened before Civil War, I kinda think Reed Richards would have developed his own mutant cure that would be "entirely voluntary" for people who didn't want to become registered superheroes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

galagazombie posted:

It's one of those structural storytelling things that only damages the integrity of stories where it gets pointed out like "Why doesn't someone just loving shoot the Joker already?" Character X isn't always showing up to help character Y in their book because that's not how a shared universe with two character with their own individual stories to tell works, and the Joker gets to live because he's too popular to die

That being said, you can use it as a talking point to illustrate the mentality of a character in a moment. I totally buy Cyclops saying that kind of thing when he's basically mutant Moses, trying desperately to keep his people alive, but now that he's just Mutant George Washington he's a bit more rational about things. I absolutely buy that kind of statement from Magneto's, because he 110% does not give a poo poo about anything except mutant prosperity and his own position of authority within said prosperity

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Oh it's so unfair to Sue 'cuz I still heart her but...yeah. Pretty much that exactly. And then it turns out her kids aren't there, just like Cyclops said, so, whoopsies Susan! v:v:v Guess you just snuck into someone's house for nothing! But mutants are creeps so it's okay to be creeps at them, right?

I'm a little bit more surprised at Reed's reaction to everything tbh. Back in AvX -- which Hickman also wrote, but I don't blame anyone for trying to forget of course -- Reed had the remarkable mindset that he'd been waiting for...not the mutant takeover exactly, but this sociopolitical forward-shift in society for a while now. It was one of the interesting parts of AvX, that he actually didn't like the rotten society they'd lived in and would welcome someone dragging it kicking and screaming to the future. But now he's like, oh no the mutants are selling medicine! Bich!...do you give out your poo poo for free? I think not! :colbert:
To continue the theme: If Sue would like to see the manager, Reed would have voted for Obama a third time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Codependent Poster posted:

Doug hiding Warlock and doing something with Krakoa is super creepy. I'm sure it's related to the Phalanx in some way, but hell if I know how.

I just want to say I did a double take like cyclops when reading that page. Very cool and yeah, super unnerving.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kingtheninja posted:

Very cool and yeah, super unnerving.

I think you've hit upon the dominant themes of the entire Krakoa era right there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One other thing I do like about X-Men #7 is how Apocalypse and Exodus make it clear -- or, at least, they want to give the impression and are in fact giving it very successfully -- that all mutants are honored, valued citizens of Krakoa, not just the powerful ones. All mutations are an important part of the individual and of their culture, no matter how seemingly-insignificant they may be. Now, flying is not an insignificant power exactly, but in this world of reality shapers and mutants who can move the stars, it's not gonna land you on any lists. But the leaders of this island treat it significantly, they respect the loss that Melody experienced, they treat her violation as seriously as any crime committed against any of their more powerful or esteemed omegas. Coming from a culture formed out of oppression, it's important that any wrong done against even the least of them is treated as if it it had been done to them all. That's interesting, and good. It also alleviates a lot of rightful concerns of mutant culture becoming more and more of a meritocracy over time, where the scope of your powers determine your standing in society.

...Though, it still does place the basis of an individual's worth upon whether or not they are a mutant. Apocalypse tells Melody, almost pityingly, that there's nothing wrong in living like a human...a couple minutes after remarking on what a disappointment she is, for no longer being a mutant. It's powerful stuff. It's also another way to say that even the least significant mutant nobody is a thousand times more worthwhile and valuable than a human being. Which...y'know. Yikes and all.

galagazombie posted:

To be fair to how Zdarsky's writing X-Men/FF, the characters in it have been very upfront that the FF have treated mutants well in the past. The current conflict here is not about that at all.

Now, the Avengers...there's a different story. I honestly don't mind there being friction between Avengers and X-Men, within reason. Their histories support it at this point, and honestly it's just more...well, interesting if one team is a bit more by-the-books lawful and stodgy if the other is going to be feared and hated and off-the-rails. And then there's the matter of...look, if you're going to build a world that contains the large-scale bigotry against mutants that this one does, then it's going to follow that some superheroes...well, might just be anti-mutant to a macro or micro degree. Not every single person who likes mutants is going to be a good guy and not every single one who dislikes them should be a bad guy (again, within reason). It sucks for the hypothetical hero involved who would be outed as mutantphobic in this hypothetical scenario coughI'mlookingatyouCarolcoughcough, but it would alleviate just how...well, just how wishy-washy that anti-mutant sentiments in the Marvel universe can be.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Carol would be a poor choice, she was probably the mutants' biggest non-mutant ally throughout the '80s (Moira doesn't count anymore!!) which in Marvel years was probably only two years ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Carol would be a poor choice, she was probably the mutants' biggest non-mutant ally throughout the '80s (Moira doesn't count anymore!!) which in Marvel years was probably only two years ago

yeah, in the Kelly Thompson series she was shown to be on okay terms with Rogue of all mutants she should have a grudge against, and she was in the loving X-Men. She's on the short list of humans that I think might be the one to break the mutants only Krakoan resurrection protocols.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
reed's real problem with krakoa is that they actually used their radical super science to help normal people. he will never forgive them for this.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

galagazombie posted:

You never say Spider-Man doesn't care about Californians because he never shows up to help in West Coast Avengers.

Okay but be fair to Spider-Man. Flying cross-country is hard for him.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
What actually are Wanda (and Pietro) now if not mutants? I vaguely recall it involving the High Evolutionary but I don't remember exactly.

I wonder if a future event will involve Krakoa going after Wanda either to punish her for what she did or to prevent her ever going "no more mutants" again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As far as them trying to manage the flow of mutants wanting to be reborn instead of a mass suicide event, Crucible should do okay.

At least until people just start jumping in the ring and cutting their own heads off with Apoc's sword.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also WARLOCK WARLOCK WARLOCK AAAAaaaaa.....

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

reed's real problem with krakoa is that they actually used their radical super science to help normal people. he will never forgive them for this.

:yeah:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

galagazombie posted:

But the problem with this- if you're using mutantdom as a metaphor for marginalized people- is that not doing bad things to mutants isn't the same as doing good things for mutants. Being a white southerner who didn't protest school integration in the 60s isn't the same as a white southerner who marched in Selma. There's being an active ally and being a not-Nazi and those are different things.

From the mutant perspective, sure, the Avengers or FF have fought Magneto or Doom or whoever side-by-side. But where was Stark after Genosha? What was Reed doing post-M Day to give powers back to people (for gently caress's sake, he had Franklin who may have been able to just straight reverse what Wanda did)?

There are obviously comic book industry answers to this- that is, Stark had his own separate book that had it's own separate stories at the time of NXM- but what a good X-writer does is stoke those comic book industry reasons into in-continuity conflict. Which they're doing really well here! As How Wonderful! so eloquently explained, this is the kind of thing that keeps the mutant metaphor relevant with these current books. It's a deeper understanding of marginalized people and their relationship to our inherently bigoted society.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Bendis wrote AvX, not Hickman.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Little Mac posted:

Bendis wrote AvX, not Hickman.

IIRC it had a rotating team of writers handling the main series-- Bendis, Hickman, Brubaker, Fraction, and Jason Aaron.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1233501945593311234?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hell yeah

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/MarkBrooksArt/status/1233507072425197568?s=20

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ten of Swords sounds like the tarot stuff at the start of PoX.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord, I'm stupid for X-Men again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im just imagining Jonathan Hickman logging on to the X-Men slack at 3:50 AM, @everybody the word "swords" and logging back off