Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

hey kickstarter employees formed a union, maybe that'll spread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

please kickstart the computer touchers local 103

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
i'll start the wiki

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the oft-complained about union rules requiring that an electrician and no one else plug in a thing sounds more and more appealing.

i had to remind a colleague he wasn't qualified to lift 50 lbs the other day

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

i had to remind a colleague he wasn't qualified to lift 50 lbs the other day
he should post in yospos to remedy that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
got off the phone with new place, they said to expect an offer within 24 hrs :toot:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

got off the phone with new place, they said to expect an offer within 24 hrs :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmIoF_2Q4Y

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
I have a "casual" interview that is expected to be upwards of an hour. The parties involved are both technical titled (e.g, lead engineer, group manager).

I'm guessing I should not expect it to be an actual casual interview with the length and the parties involved? Like, I should be ready to be grilled on the protocols/topics more than just seeing if I am a cultural fit?

I have never interviewed with, nor know anybody that has, this company; so I am wondering if I need to nerd the gently caress up and refresh my knowledge, or just chill out and be me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“it’s just an informal chat” is a trap 100% of the time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No such thing as an informal interview unless you already know the person interviewing you

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
op should lean in to the whole "informal" thing and show up already drunk

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

offer is 40% more salary, $10k more (possible) annual bonus, and a $35k starting bonus (that vests over 3 years). other than that pretty much the same as what i have now for benefits, etc.

dont give a number first guys its good advice.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

FMguru posted:

It is over the internet with a video chat, maybe I can make a fortress of beer cans behind me before then.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

FMguru posted:

mild disagree, show up just past buzzed so you can do more drinking w. the interviewer

Ferr
Sep 27, 2002

Serious Business Orc
College Slice

Ferr posted:

I'm up to references check on this one. Thanks for the confidence boost, nerds.

They went with someone else :smith:

Coming up fast on my one year anniversary of the continuous teagbagging of a hot stove that is tech interviewing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have an in person interview tomorrow. Double bonus, I get to miss a work all hands by going to it

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 27, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ferr posted:

They went with someone else :smith:

Coming up fast on my one year anniversary of the continuous teagbagging of a hot stove that is tech interviewing

7 months here buddy :smith::hf::smith:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My in person went pretty well, and it was a very reasonable interview. No tricks or gotchas, just some basic data structures and algorithms and an entirely unstructured architecture question about how I would set up a whole system to support a mobile app.

Hoping early next week I can quit this job I hate :pray:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

a $35k starting bonus (that vests over 3 years).

uhhhhh i dont think that's how those work

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CrazyLittle posted:

uhhhhh i dont think that's how those work

Having your signing bonus vest over several years is pretty standard practice to stop people jumping ship as soon as they've put in the requisite number of months.

Of course in practical terms it means your pay drops after X years, so if you haven't been given an equivalent amount in raises by that point it's time to start hunting around for a new signing bonus.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"informal chat" is code for "personality interview"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I’ve never had anything other than the main stock grant itself be subject to a vesting schedule

I MIGHT have had clawback terms on the signing bonus if I left like 2 months after starting but 3 years on something like that is a fuckin joke

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also why would they even bother spreading 35k over a 3 year vesting schedule to begin with, that’s like putting a Big Mac on layaway

just switch jobs and you’ll probably make up the difference in 6 months or less

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my signing bonus had 10k immediate cash and 80k in equity with the same vesting schedule as our normal yearly grants

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Progressive JPEG posted:

I’ve never had anything other than the main stock grant itself be subject to a vesting schedule

They vest the damned employer 401k contributions at my employer.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
wow, get a new employer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

this is pretty typical though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

I assume the average expense ratio of their fund selection is also like 2% too lol

I remember one place that had loaded funds* in the 401k, it was insane

* where you pay an extra fee upon buying, selling, and/or ongoing while holding. this is then paid as a commission to the rear end in a top hat investment manager whos flagrantly ripping you off with garbage non-index funds

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Progressive JPEG posted:

I MIGHT have had clawback terms on the signing bonus if I left like 2 months after starting but 3 years on something like that is a fuckin joke

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got all but an offer from the place I interviewed at yesterday. They asked me my start date :toot:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
NEVER TELL THEM A NUMBER

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I avoided number 4 separate interviews with this company lol

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CPColin posted:

NEVER TELL THEM A NUMBER

Yeah like don't ever give them a start date in Unix time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

imagine getting a start date in 32-bit time_t just lmbo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

better than a uint16_t salary

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

~my starting epoch~

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you're important enough, they reset their epoch to 0 when you join

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

What is the stance if a company requests time spent in their HQ, which is overseas, for a substantial amount of time to on board?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it depends how much you want to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jabor posted:

Having your signing bonus vest over several years is pretty standard practice to stop people jumping ship as soon as they've put in the requisite number of months.

Of course in practical terms it means your pay drops after X years, so if you haven't been given an equivalent amount in raises by that point it's time to start hunting around for a new signing bonus.

there are some other grants and bonuses that ramp up over that time too, but those are tied to performance and revenue, the first 3 years have a guaranteed number attached to them, basically and that pays out 50%, 35% and 15% over the first 3 years.