Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are good Catholic rulers supposed to burn Dominicans at the stake?

I've seen this happen before too - I think what's happening is not that they're being burnt at the stake for being Dominicans, but rather they are being burnt for some other reason (maybe secret heretics or just plain old court chaplain being overzealous), but the event doesn't really care about the why, it just fires because hey, you knew that person, and they're being burnt at the stake. I think it's mostly meant for satanists where it makes a lot more sense, but it will fire for members of any society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Problem: I wanna do the challenges for the sweet sweet cosmetics, but then I immediately get bored of CK2 and want CK3

I feel like someone surely has challenge saves uploaded.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hey, you know that person was secretly a Dominican, but the monarch that listened to the Court Chaplain who hated that Dominican's guts and claimed they were consorting with Satan while continuing to build influence with their arrogant and paranoid boss might not have.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like someone surely has challenge saves uploaded.

If someone has got some, I would be eternally grateful if they could be uploaded somewhere. Since although I still love CK2 (and I'm doing a campaign right now, in fact) I just can't bring myself to do the challenges...since I dunno, I just kinda want to play CK2 my way, or not at all, I guess. Hard to explain. I wish they did it by achievements, though, since I always play on ironman, and have a bunch of achieves that could've potentially counted.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

If someone has got some, I would be eternally grateful if they could be uploaded somewhere. Since although I still love CK2 (and I'm doing a campaign right now, in fact) I just can't bring myself to do the challenges...since I dunno, I just kinda want to play CK2 my way, or not at all, I guess. Hard to explain. I wish they did it by achievements, though, since I always play on ironman, and have a bunch of achieves that could've potentially counted.

Some of the starts are pretty fun. You don't have to do every challenge within the start, just do the stuff you like. I enjoyed making buff Brittany and Wales for the first few challenges. I've fallen off CK2 since then, but I still have the itch to go back and do some of the other challenges, but to be honest they sound bad like "be ruler for 100 years". Like gently caress that, no. I have over 1000 exclusively ironman hours in this game and there is a reason I don't have and achievements for finishing a whole campaign.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Problem: I wanna do the challenges for the sweet sweet cosmetics, but then I immediately get bored of CK2 and want CK3

Same here. Those weird challenges are great for boring starts like those first two Briton/Wales guys. With Secret Jewish Baghdad Chief Under Buddhist Vassal of China you don't need challenges, I wish starts like that were highlighted years ago so I'd play that instead of another Baltic tribe or another Christian prince.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
don't think anyone posted the new dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-15-the-martial-lifestyle

I wonder how the Romance scheme works in relation to marriage acceptance. Seems like it would be annoying if you're in the middle of romancing someone and their liege suddenly marries them off to some random instead.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

At least Harald is a quick smash-and-grab, and you have the benefit of being able to finish them after Harald croaks.

Since it got me my first challenge points I'm going back through some of the previous Monarchs. For the Yemenese ruler, I'm unsure how I convert Hindu characters since India appears to be out of diplo range.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

fuf posted:

don't think anyone posted the new dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-15-the-martial-lifestyle

I wonder how the Romance scheme works in relation to marriage acceptance. Seems like it would be annoying if you're in the middle of romancing someone and their liege suddenly marries them off to some random instead.

If my experience with mediocre fantasy romances has taught me anything, this is historically accurate.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hellioning posted:

If my experience with mediocre fantasy romances has taught me anything, this is historically accurate.

Hell the entire point of Lancelot and Guinevere's courtly romance is that they could never ever ever dare dream of consummating it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The RPG Pendragon has a good section on "Courtly Romance". There's a set procedure that's supposed to follow, and it's not considered adultery and there is an expectation that it will not turn sexual. Guinevere and Lancelot were known as "Courting", but everyone assumed it was the Courtly Romance style of angsty love from afar interspersed with dramatic declarations and poetry. It only turned realm-shattering when it was revealed they were doinking.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SirPhoebos posted:

For the Yemenese ruler, I'm unsure how I convert Hindu characters since India appears to be out of diplo range.

Use the Character finder and filter on Married = No, Religion = Not My Group, Adult = Yes, Ruler = No, In Prison = No, and Diplomatic Range = Yes. Sort the results by religion and see if you can find any Hindu characters that have the Greedy trait, as they will be easier to invite into your court via gifts and purchased favors. You need to get a character's opinion of you to 26 or higher in order for someone to accept buying a favor. Also look out to make sure you don't buy a favor from people who are married, a council member, or is a close relative of their liege, because you cannot use the favor to invite them to your court. Once they're in your court it should be trivial to convert them via demand.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks.

Unrelated question/musing: Is there a way to set up an alert for wars you can freely join in on? I feel like a doofus whenever I notice a co-religion neighbor getting steam-rolled in a Holy War and I had been fiddling with internal manners the whole time. It's especially embarrassing if I'm a temporal religious head.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's a chance he was a secret heretic. Also, Court Chaplains can be overzealous. Mine sometimes hauls dudes in for the crime of "someone had a nightmare about them, therefore warlock/witch".

I let those people go because come the gently caress on, but burning 'em is 10 free piety even on evidence that lovely.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CapnAndy posted:

There's a chance he was a secret heretic. Also, Court Chaplains can be overzealous. Mine sometimes hauls dudes in for the crime of "someone had a nightmare about them, therefore warlock/witch".

I let those people go because come the gently caress on, but burning 'em is 10 free piety even on evidence that lovely.

Unless your Chaplain has very low learning (read: <8) they do not make mistakes when hauling apostates in front of you. If your clothboi has 15+ learning you can light the pyres based upon their bad gut feeling and never regret it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Coolguye posted:

Unless your Chaplain has very low learning (read: <8) they do not make mistakes when hauling apostates in front of you. If your clothboi has 15+ learning you can light the pyres based upon their bad gut feeling and never regret it.
Wait, seriously? I've been letting basically everybody go unless my Chaplain accuses them of direct membership in Lucifer's Own or they've actually got the "Suspected Member of Secret Society" trait or something else damning on their character sheet. Because I understand that "Goodwife Mercy dreamed she saw Countess Charity kneel to the Devil" was in fact damning evidence back then, but they're dealing with me now, and I would like some actual loving evidence thank you very much.

When your Chaplain says things along the line of "they were [reading heresy scripture]/[practicing heresy] and worshipping the Devil", is that just heresy? Because I don't honestly care about a secret heretic or two but anyone in Lucifer's Own needs to get an up-close introduction to bonfires, loving demon-worshipers have scary good magic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Burning witches is much more of an early modern phenomenon and much more of a Lutheran thing.

Now burning heretics/religious heretics on the other hand...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Burning witches is much more of an early modern phenomenon and much more of a Lutheran thing.

Now burning heretics/religious heretics on the other hand...
Right, but heretics don't have bullshit magic powers and the witches actually do, so I know which ones I'm assigning to the flames.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CapnAndy posted:

Right, but heretics don't have bullshit magic powers and the witches actually do, so I know which ones I'm assigning to the flames.

I dunno, man, nearly every pagan ruler has the magic power to annoy me and take my money.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Council rule sure is annoying as gently caress, I hate when I can't get them on side so I can't give away provinces - let me give poo poo away you bastards!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

When your Chaplain says things along the line of "they were [reading heresy scripture]/[practicing heresy] and worshipping the Devil", is that just heresy? Because I don't honestly care about a secret heretic or two but anyone in Lucifer's Own needs to get an up-close introduction to bonfires, loving demon-worshipers have scary good magic.
it means that they have a secret religion but they're not practicing it in a secret society. that's typically a heresy of your parent religion, but not always. apostasy in the context of CK2 basically means that you are publicly a different religion than the chaplain/ruler, have a secret religion, are or are a member of a banned secret society (typically satans, but can also be assassins or a secret religion cult).

and yes, i've dove the code somewhere on my question mark because i had exactly the same curiosity as you - how reliable is your chaplain exactly when hunting apostates? the short answer is that unless the chaplain has no business being your chaplain they're not going to make mistakes. if your catholic chaplain hauls someone who's publicly catholic in front of you and calls them a generic witch/warlock, that cat is dirty somehow and should be murdered unless you have a very good reason not to. they might just be cathar, or they might be a satan. you just don't know. if he hauls someone who's publicly muslim or jewish in front of you though then that's the reason and you can make your decision based on that.

obviously if you read between the lines you can figure out what's going on, too. as a for example, assume you're a catholic male again. you marry a sunni woman because she is a genius. you demand her conversion to catholicism to smooth things over with the court, and she dares not refuse so she consents. your chaplain then yells a year later that she is worshipping the devil. well no, the AI has a 75% chance to keep practicing their old religion in secret when they are forced to convert so clearly she's got a secret religion, that religion is sunni islam, she's worshipping allah, not satan, and the most dangerous thing she can do with that is attempt to start a sunni secret society to sway a bunch of your court to turn muslim. who the gently caress cares? don't kill your wife.

now, if that same chaplain shows up a year after that and says he has found hard evidence that she's a member of Lucifer's Own, then yeah she's a satan and you should absolutely get rid of her if you're not going satan yourself.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 29, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

sunni secret society to sway a bunch of your court to turn muslim. who the gently caress cares?
You do in 50 years when your heir (and half your realm) pops up as secret muslim.

Coolguye posted:

don't kill your wife.
Kill your wife

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Taear posted:

Council rule sure is annoying as gently caress, I hate when I can't get them on side so I can't give away provinces - let me give poo poo away you bastards!

Find the most diplomatic councillor and give it to them or one of their close family, and you'll suddenly find that they've been able to persuade the other councillors that it's alright.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CapnAndy posted:

Uh, both, obviously?

Having your chaplain be set on "find heretics/'heretics'" solves (and causes!) quite a few problems if you're patient.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

lurksion posted:

You do in 50 years when your heir (and half your realm) pops up as secret muslim.

Still my favorite moment of my first playthrough.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is there a start that has a realm with the chinese empire gov type? I looked around the map on my latest campaign and saw one and it seems like the AI almost never reaches the point where it can form it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Coolguye posted:

it means that they have a secret religion but they're not practicing it in a secret society. that's typically a heresy of your parent religion, but not always. apostasy in the context of CK2 basically means that you are publicly a different religion than the chaplain/ruler, have a secret religion, are or are a member of a banned secret society (typically satans, but can also be assassins or a secret religion cult).

and yes, i've dove the code somewhere on my question mark because i had exactly the same curiosity as you - how reliable is your chaplain exactly when hunting apostates? the short answer is that unless the chaplain has no business being your chaplain they're not going to make mistakes. if your catholic chaplain hauls someone who's publicly catholic in front of you and calls them a generic witch/warlock, that cat is dirty somehow and should be murdered unless you have a very good reason not to. they might just be cathar, or they might be a satan. you just don't know. if he hauls someone who's publicly muslim or jewish in front of you though then that's the reason and you can make your decision based on that.

obviously if you read between the lines you can figure out what's going on, too. as a for example, assume you're a catholic male again. you marry a sunni woman because she is a genius. you demand her conversion to catholicism to smooth things over with the court, and she dares not refuse so she consents. your chaplain then yells a year later that she is worshipping the devil. well no, the AI has a 75% chance to keep practicing their old religion in secret when they are forced to convert so clearly she's got a secret religion, that religion is sunni islam, she's worshipping allah, not satan, and the most dangerous thing she can do with that is attempt to start a sunni secret society to sway a bunch of your court to turn muslim. who the gently caress cares? don't kill your wife.

now, if that same chaplain shows up a year after that and says he has found hard evidence that she's a member of Lucifer's Own, then yeah she's a satan and you should absolutely get rid of her if you're not going satan yourself.

THIS. This is what ck should be about, that sounds glorious and thanks for the write up. Well, that and marrying your daughter.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Taear posted:

The best kind is when you got a huge invasion windfall but were a bit slow in cleaning up the mess afterwards, so now you're stuck with a “too many duchies” penalty so huge that the council hates you and refuses to go along with your plan of handing out duchies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lurksion posted:

That's your fault for letting her educate the kids. She cannot pass on her secret religion if she is not the guardian/tutor of a kid. Tutor the kids you care about most personally; slough the others off to others.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If you popped some kids and she has spread her good genes already, why bother worrying about secrets and religions and whatnot, just kill her off and marry a younger one

Geez, do you guys even play the game or what?

:v:

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Children aged 30, 28, 25, 21, 5, 3, and 0

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Agreed on all counts, in fact I’m also like 5 points away from the cone hat. My Saad Mordechai run is actually still going. He’s about 60 now and because I misunderstood the first challenge I started a Jewish secret society. Managed to convert a lot of my vassals and three provinces before coming out. Kinda sucked when the number didn’t go up because now I was openly Jewish too, but my two sons are still Sunni. So if it’s a dynastic achievement as opposed to a first ruler one I might still be able to swing it.

Finally got around to finishing this tonight as Saad Mordechai’s Muslim son to get gold in the first two categories.

I started Hårdråde and it was easy enough to win the war, even with William beating me to it. Then I realized the next 10 minutes of the game was going to entail paring down my 20-something/4 demesne holdings and quit. That’s a lot of tedium to get to the next phase of Godwinson hunting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tippis posted:

The best kind is when you got a huge invasion windfall but were a bit slow in cleaning up the mess afterwards, so now you're stuck with a “too many duchies” penalty so huge that the council hates you and refuses to go along with your plan of handing out duchies.

Yea this is pretty much what I was annoyed with. You'd think they would want me to give them away!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Taear posted:

Yea this is pretty much what I was annoyed with. You'd think they would want me to give them away!

Nah, they just want an excuse to stay mad at you. You're the ruler everyone loves to hate, after all!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

They’ll happily let you give them away to the “right” people ie the council members themselves.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Finally got around to finishing this tonight as Saad Mordechai’s Muslim son to get gold in the first two categories.

I started Hårdråde and it was easy enough to win the war, even with William beating me to it. Then I realized the next 10 minutes of the game was going to entail paring down my 20-something/4 demesne holdings and quit. That’s a lot of tedium to get to the next phase of Godwinson hunting.

This sort of thing used to be something I hated until I made it piss easy for myself to find half-decent courtiers to hand titles to. If I have nobody specific in mind I just right-click create-new-vassal on cities and temples and then use the character finder to filter for dudes in my realm who aren't already rulers or members of a great house (and also share my religion and culture) and just pick dudes that ideally aren't Envious or Ambitious.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The game really needs something that tells you if a siege is a raid or it's a real siege. I know I've said it but it's a right pain.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we have a multiplayer thread? My weekly sunday paradox megacampaign is resetting back to CK2 and we're recruiting players. Our recruitment thread on Paradox is Here.

We play every Sunday except on major holidays at Noon EST to 4 PM EST. We typically play vanilla-ish with the DLC etc, we're equalizing de jure duchies/kingdoms for balance reasons.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

At some point the solution to an obnoxious council is the same as the solution to getting your chosen heir elected:

Pick half of the people with the vote, bribe them into liking you, then buy a favor and immediately cash it in for their votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yep, once you got enough money to do that, the concil will barely be a problem anymore and elective becomes the best inheritance law.

In this aspect, conclave made the game easier (without favors, there's no sure way to force electors to support your heir, irrc)