Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think I used it maybe twice and it got me killed by something unclear during the long throwing/winddown animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More like the Unsafe. :P

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

It was useful for that sort of invisible thing that materialised beside you and attacked. You could just have a shield up, then drop it after it attacked and then throw something at its stupid dumb face.

Well, where its face would be, anyway.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Feb 28, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just held a thing with TK, kept an eye out and belted it one when it showed itself.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I also find the Safe power useless at least without a few upgrades, simply because you can't do anything while it's up. It's better to throw something at an enemy and just kill it than waste time hiding behind a wall of poo poo.

Use it as a way to safely grab the health enemies drop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Control is really weird. If you hear folks talking about it it comes off as this spectacular game that just has one or two areas where it falls behind the curve, but I really thought it was more that pretty much every individual aspect of it has fairly obvious flaws and just one or two areas stand out, and it somehow lucks into coming together pretty good. I mean, I liked it, I finished it, but I knew from a few hours in I'd sell it on as soon as I was done.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Necrothatcher posted:

Use it as a way to safely grab the health enemies drop.

This, I used it a ton more on my second playthrough and almost all the super tough battles went so much smoother when I remembered to actually use it tactically.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Control is really weird. If you hear folks talking about it it comes off as this spectacular game that just has one or two areas where it falls behind the curve, but I really thought it was more that pretty much every individual aspect of it has fairly obvious flaws and just one or two areas stand out, and it somehow lucks into coming together pretty good. I mean, I liked it, I finished it, but I knew from a few hours in I'd sell it on as soon as I was done.

It is a good game, I just think that someone at some point decided it should be much harder than it needs to be. The game itself really appeals to the "I want a story and an experience" crowd, while a lot of the boss fights and later things are pretty hardcore.

I got quite far, then there was a boss who kept nuking the ground you're stood on so you fall to your death. I beat him, and thought "Thank God that's over", then I had to fight him a second time, so I quit the game :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't even know there was a second fight with him so you definitely didn't have to do it

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I didn't even know there was a second fight with him so you definitely didn't have to do it

Oh, I'm fairly sure I could have skipped the fight, but this was like the 3rd or 4th boss fight I'd come across that was annoying as hell (the anchor drove me nuts too) and they'd just sucked all the fun out of the game, so I didn't feel like playing it any more.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Resident evil 0 : i don't know chess and i like poison even less,don't combine the two cause that's just utter poo.
Edit : it was super easy you literally only move one piece,doh!

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Feb 28, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Seedge posted:

Two Point Hospital is basically Theme Hospital, but.

I hate the level of minutiae it seems to expect. Oh, the Ward needs a nurse. Better make sure that nurse has Ward perks, or your patients have a 60% chance to be cured, failing emergencies! You could train a nurse, but you need another nurse with that skill to train the new one for 60 days while your finances skirt bankruptcy because you need twice the staff because of 20 day breaks and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just want to build a tidy machine. I really wish there was a sandbox mode.

I played around 20 minutes of Two Point Hospital, and then downloaded CorsixTH (+ files from gog), and played that instead. It's held up remarkably well, and the CorsixTH team have done good things over the past few years.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I'm replaying Half Life 2 and the episodes, and it's making me remember all the good things... but also all the terrible things.

You know what the thing dragging HL2 down is? The grenades. They're like the bounciest pieces of poo poo, you can't cook them so enemies that aren't zombies will never get caught in the blast unless the AI malfunctions or they're actually stationary for whatever reason, and even getting them into those floor turrets is a pain because of how unnaturally they behave.

As for episode 1: The elevator fight in total darkness in particular. It'd be fine except because you have to choose if you want to sprint or see anything because Gordon's legs are apparently entirely powered by his suit. Also, the grenades.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gerblyn posted:

It is a good game, I just think that someone at some point decided it should be much harder than it needs to be. The game itself really appeals to the "I want a story and an experience" crowd, while a lot of the boss fights and later things are pretty hardcore.

I got quite far, then there was a boss who kept nuking the ground you're stood on so you fall to your death. I beat him, and thought "Thank God that's over", then I had to fight him a second time, so I quit the game :shrug:

Control could have done with an object of power that allowed you to dash upwards a short distance. About half my deaths were from falling into bottomless pits during boss fights because the "hold space to jump and levitate" mechanic always felt strangely unintuitive for how straightforward it is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thoughtless posted:

I'm replaying Half Life 2 and the episodes, and it's making me remember all the good things... but also all the terrible things.

You know what the thing dragging HL2 down is? The grenades. They're like the bounciest pieces of poo poo, you can't cook them so enemies that aren't zombies will never get caught in the blast unless the AI malfunctions or they're actually stationary for whatever reason, and even getting them into those floor turrets is a pain because of how unnaturally they behave.

As for episode 1: The elevator fight in total darkness in particular. It'd be fine except because you have to choose if you want to sprint or see anything because Gordon's legs are apparently entirely powered by his suit. Also, the grenades.

Grenades in general can be a problem in most games, especially without the targeting arc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Grenades in general can be a problem in most games, especially without the targeting arc.

There’s two good ways to handle grenades, either a targeting arc like a lot of games have, or what Just Cause 2 did where it would arc the throw at the point you’re aiming at if it’s in range. It depends on how you want it to go on fast versus precise.

Without either of those, grenades aren’t really fun or easy to use. Your brain is good at aiming thrown objects IRL, but that doesn’t translate to something where you’re just hucking something with the same force and varying the angle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The most important thing about grenades is that they need to be on their own button because switching to a grenade always sucks 100% of the time.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The most important thing about grenades is that they need to be on their own button because switching to a grenade always sucks 100% of the time.

Not empty quoting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

I was so happy when grenades got their own button, and even happier when people stopped making that button "g" for "grenade". It went badly with F being the Use key, I would hit the wrong key and drop a grenade at my feet so often.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

People can give Halo: CE all the poo poo they want, but those dedicated grenade buttons were an eye-opener for me as a lad.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

FEAR had excellent grenades, as you could hurl one towards a group then hit slo-mo and shoot it to set it off at just the right time :discourse:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

mind the walrus posted:

People can give Halo: CE all the poo poo they want, but those dedicated grenade buttons were an eye-opener for me as a lad.

Those were good grenades, too! You couldn't cook them but the human grenade didn't bounce stupidly and it killed the gently caress out of things while the plasma grenade could go crazy far and stick to people. Mind blowing that a ~20 year old game did so many things right.

But in the spirit of this thread, I really miss hijacking when I go back to Halo CE.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

Mind blowing that a ~20 year old game did so many things right.

I just had one of those "FEAR isn't that ol OH MY GOD :gonk:" moments, thanks.

That shotgun still hasn't been topped but when I tried playing it a few months ago the mouse control felt really weird for some reason. I dunno if it has weird sensitivity defaults or what.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Riatsala posted:

Those were good grenades, too! You couldn't cook them but the human grenade didn't bounce stupidly and it killed the gently caress out of things while the plasma grenade could go crazy far and stick to people. Mind blowing that a ~20 year old game did so many things right.

Human grenades exploded one (two?) second(s) after hitting a surface. Plasma grenades exploded two or three seconds after they stopped moving. Which meant if you threw one in one of the elevators that went down in campaign, it'd just keep bouncing until the elevator stopped.

Also if you made a mode with max overshields on PC, stood on a warthog turret, and did plasma-->frag-->rocket directly in front of the warthog, the physics engine would send you flying at ridiculous speeds.

Things bringing down Halo: CE xbox: Mediocre physics engine made that just kill you instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was so happy when grenades got their own button, and even happier when people stopped making that button "g" for "grenade". It went badly with F being the Use key, I would hit the wrong key and drop a grenade at my feet so often.
:confused:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if I quit playing War For The Overworld (Dungeon Keeper clone) because of the level I'm on is one of those "hold out while waves of enemies attack you constantly" types, but I sure as hell think it was.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if I quit playing War For The Overworld (Dungeon Keeper clone) because of the level I'm on is one of those "hold out while waves of enemies attack you constantly" types, but I sure as hell think it was.

fair enough, that game just gets way too repetitive as it goes on

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

F is usually the "interact with item" key if you're playing a game on M+KB. It is next to the g key. When games map grenades to g, every so often I'll try to open a door and accidentally throw a grenade at the wall. I'm not sure what's hard to follow there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

F is usually the "interact with item" key if you're playing a game on M+KB. It is next to the g key. When games map grenades to g, every so often I'll try to open a door and accidentally throw a grenade at the wall. I'm not sure what's hard to follow there.

Nothing except that E is usually the "interact with item" key?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, E is the interact key, F is to pay respects. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The currency amounts you have access/spend on things in Yakuza games, both in a single game and between titles varying wildly bugs me.

Also none of them feature my favorite Japanese chain which has an awesome halal location in the section of town Yakuza is modeled after

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

In the days where g was the grenade key, there were plenty of games with f as the interact. There still are, I’m pretty sure.

Hell, “c” used to be the crouch key, that was always really unpleasant.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Used to be? I've played some games that came out in the past 5 years that still had C as crouch. How the hell did that even start as a thing? "So I've got my index and ring finger on D and A, my middle finger for W and S, thumb is on the space bar, and my pinky for the shift key. Oh, that leaves my 6th finger located on my wrist for the C key!"

Even more so the games that used C for crouch and had you hold the key to crouch at the same time. I'm scared to see the hands of the developers who thought those were good ideas. At least "C toggles between crouching and standing" I can kinda understand.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Mapping crouch to ctrl seems even more absurd to me than mapping it to c.

I always map it to left alt and hit it with my thumb.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Riatsala posted:

Mapping crouch to ctrl seems even more absurd to me than mapping it to c.

I always map it to left alt and hit it with my thumb.

Your thumb was made for one thing: jumping
:colbert:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

C for crouch is fine though? its only really a problem if ya have big hands, i would presume and at that point you can just move it over to v and just shift anything else on the bottom over one. Heck I use c as hold crouch in warframe so I can easily do stuff like bullet jump in midair, which is crouch + jump.

I bought Astral chain finally because I can finally afford it, but man starting on PT standard its frustrating until you realize you are very unequipped to do well at the very start and will need to come back anyways because you need other legions for some environmental stuff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zoig posted:

C for crouch is fine though?

If it's a toggle. Otherwise I have to take my middle finger off W to strafe right and my whole home-key muscle memory starts to drift and...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every single kid in the Metro franchise is voiced by the same person and it never fails to drive me batty

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

If it's a toggle. Otherwise I have to take my middle finger off W to strafe right and my whole home-key muscle memory starts to drift and...

I mean, I just press a to strafe right, even with crouch on c, but considering that going from my pinky to my thumb my fingers are on shift, a, w ,d and v I suspect I might just have thin hands. Controls are always a tricky thing even when not considering accessibility but that's why not being able to rebind controls on pc in a game makes a lot of people mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zoig posted:

C for crouch is fine though? its only really a problem if ya have big hands,

I have freakishly large hands, so that’s probably why it doesn’t work for me. It’s also why I don’t like mice with the forward/back buttons. Or single JoyCons when I’m playing Switch, I basically can’t use those comfortably at all.