Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If schools are closed daycare should be closed too, on the topic of soccer moms missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

poverty goat posted:

Btc usually goes up when other markets are in turmoil but even it's down a little. Truly, these are the end times, inshallah

Bitcoin never correlates to what's happening in other markets at all, it's purely its own speculative bubble. Also, it's down 11% over the past week, not just a little.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

poverty goat posted:

If schools are closed daycare should be closed too, on the topic of soccer moms missing the point.

No way. Children are just Instagam props, soccer moms can't be bothered with spending time at home with them, when they can be out brunching and getting their nails done.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Bitcoin never correlates to what's happening in other markets at all, it's purely its own speculative bubble.

I came here to buy bitcoin and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta breath

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Golli posted:

No way. Children are just Instagam props, soccer moms can't be bothered with spending time at home with them, when they can be out brunching and getting their nails done.

The misogyny dog twitter account says BARK BARK BARK at this post

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The real problem is the millions of people who will have to go to work sick because they're out of sick days, leaving their kids sick at home because they can't afford childcare while the schools are closed, until they lose their home to a mountain of medical debt. Coronavirus is like a bomb perfectly designed to blow up America's hosed up society

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i was down for the count like 6 days with something like the flu a month ago

dont have time for this poo poo again, gah. i quit smoking this year and I've majorly dialed back my drinking. best ive felt in my 20s, lol.

on the upside, about 2 months ago I got this random desire to fully outfit my pantry and im rich as a bitch in legumes and vegetable stock :cool:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I basically got an infinite supply of beans

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Are you Joe Pera?

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
more like America's hosed up society created the perfect circumstances for the virus to spread.

But hey, :capitalism:

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Fartbox posted:

I basically got an infinite supply of beans

Username/post

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Nigeria confirmed it's worst case. Which sounds bad because this virus getting into impoverished countries with weak healthcare systems is a nightmare scenario BUT when Ebola got into Nigeria they had one of the best responses to it and was able to contain it extremely fast and only had a few cases. So at least for nigeria they might be able to use some of that skill to contain the Corona virus.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

Nigeria confirmed it's worst case. Which sounds bad because this virus getting into impoverished countries with weak healthcare systems is a nightmare scenario BUT when Ebola got into Nigeria they had one of the best responses to it and was able to contain it extremely fast and only had a few cases.

I was told the chinese flu didn't like the heat but it's 100F today in Nigeria, what is up with this ??

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Other flu's don't like the heat so experts are assuming this one doesn't either. Who knows though!

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

unpacked robinhood posted:

I was told the chinese flu didn't like the heat but it's 100F today in Nigeria, what is up with this ??

It's not confirmed to be seasonal - its just that they are assuming it might be, since thats how these kinda viruses usually work.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, the fact that RNA viruses generally don't like the heat doesn't mean it's literally impossible to catch it if the ambient temp is above 35C, it's just that it's harder for the virus to survive outside the host at those temperatures, which tends to arrest the spread.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If you want well informed information with a steady hand, you should check out Dr. John Campbell's youtube channel. He's the author of Campbell`s Physiology Notes and 'Campbell's Pathophysiology Notes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
so no licking doorknobs unless it's been hot out, got it

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

pixelizedpope posted:

A series of bendy straws would allow you to get way deep into the lungs and would work better

Sucking the infected sputum out of one lung and into the other lung for safe keeping.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

redreader posted:

Do you get sick a lot?

No. Maybe a cold once every year. I have no idea how good this virus is at affecting people.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hell yes the Dow opened almost 1000 points down today (it is now only 800 points but I am fairly sure today is not going to be positive).

All joking aside, the Dow just shaving off a year's worth of gain in five days probably means something to someone.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

evilmiera posted:

Hell yes the Dow opened almost 1000 points down today (it is now only 800 points but I am fairly sure today is not going to be positive).

All joking aside, the Dow just shaving off a year's worth of gain in five days probably means something to someone.

Apparently it should mean something to non-rich people who literally needed the film "Trading Places" to teach them what stocks are (like me) because it impacts pensions and stuff, but what kind of idiot would invest for their future when they'll be drowned in their own lungs by April anyway?

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Fartbox posted:

I hate this planet. The stock is red today AGAIN

I can't make any money when people are panicking. Sigh

Way more money in panic than in calm.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Turns out the heat just makes it angry

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you've got the infrastructure for strong ebola response you've also got the infrastructure for air conditioning in places where people work and congregate

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there anywhere that breaks down mortality rates by, like, decade or something? Not much worried about myself, more for my otherwise completely healthy parents.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My mom has lung cancer and has to go into NYC to see her cancer doctors. I wonder if there's a point where they'd tell her just to skip her checkup instead of going into the city.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

yeah that was never based on data

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Mordja posted:

Is there anywhere that breaks down mortality rates by, like, decade or something? Not much worried about myself, more for my otherwise completely healthy parents.

CDC had a chart up sorted by age but I can't find it through a Google search anymore

lol if Pence pulled it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

poverty goat posted:

The real problem is the millions of people who will have to go to work sick because they're out of sick days, leaving their kids sick at home because they can't afford childcare while the schools are closed, until they lose their home to a mountain of medical debt. Coronavirus is like a bomb perfectly designed to blow up America's hosed up society

Vote Bernie :ussr:

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Mordja posted:

A John Hopkins Doctor on NPR earlier explained that the reason it doesn't seem to affect young people is because young people have been exposed to lots of corona-type viruses as kids, they got cold and flu from stuff is much more similar to CORVID19 than what folks who are 19+ years old got exposed to. Old Cold is not the same as Nu Cold is how she explained it. Basically, when was the last time you got a cold?
Was it years and years?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Spent the last two days lugging thirty 40 pound bags of potting soil and compost. Was waiting for today, which was the last cold day forecast in the 25 day forecast. Was 32 this morning, but won’t dip below 40 probably until November. All 60s-70s forecast here. Spring is here.

So spent today planting. I started about 200 seeds indoors, and planted additional seeds today and fertilized vegetables that don’t need to be started indoors. All told, I’ve prepped the soil and potted or sewn seeds in two large garden spots I have on my property.

I’m growing:
Onions (yellow and white)
Carrots (multiple varieties)
Potatoes (multiple varieties)
Peppers (red, mild, hot varieties)
Leeks
Broccoli
Beans (multiple varieties)
Herbs (basil. parsley, oregano, rosemary)
Artichokes
Beets
Tomatoes (multiple varieties)
Raspberry bush
Blueberry bush
Strawberries
Swiss chard
Lettuce
Spinach
Eggplant
Brussel sprouts
Watermelon
Asparagus

Wife caught the prep fever and we got a big delivery from Costco with more staples for a long haul: toilet paper, pet food, detergent, toothpaste, and another 20 pound bag of rice. Plus, some canned chicken and canned veggies.

I’ve amended my workouts over the last six months from free weights to mostly do kettles, pushups and pull-ups, so as of tomorrow I’m bagging the gym workouts and getting a few more kettle bells for the home. There’s a four mile nature hike that goes through woods I can access from the house, so going to work out at home and hike indefinitely.

We’re basically prepared for a summer without leaving the homestead if needed. Hopefully won’t come to that, but feels reassuring. If there are any local cases, we’re pulling the kids from school and will cancel all deliveries to the home and hunker down. Our plan is to not get the virus until this wave runs its course, hopefully slowing down in the summer. We’ll spend a lot of time cooking lots of veggies, and by the pool.

Assuming there is a sizable surplus from the garden, we’ll freeze a good deal of that (have two good sized freezers) and give a lot away to neighbors.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Talked with my friend who works at a childrens doctor. We made fun of all the people buying masks and disinfectant and who are freaking out about this. Maybe this will calm someone down: she, her doctor boss, his colleagues, the woman at the pharmacy, everyone she's talking to are not worried about this much and in fact are rolling their eyes hard at the way people are reacting. She reiterated that you should wash your hands, and stay indoors if you're sick.

The worst thing about this virus is the way people keep panicking, not the actual virus itself. Be smart, do what professionals advise and you'll be fine. Buying a bit of food and supplies is sensible, just don't buy 350 dollars worth of chef boyardee or whatever.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

mike12345 posted:

the thing is, you can get it again, so there's no real "over it"

the gently caress you say. i'm getting it once and thats it. deal with it.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Books On Tape posted:

Spent the last two days lugging thirty 40 pound bags of potting soil and compost. Was waiting for today, which was the last cold day forecast in the 25 day forecast. Was 32 this morning, but won’t dip below 40 probably until November. All 60s-70s forecast here. Spring is here.

So spent today planting. I started about 200 seeds indoors, and planted additional seeds today and fertilized vegetables that don’t need to be started indoors. All told, I’ve prepped the soil and potted or sewn seeds in two large garden spots I have on my property.

I’m growing:
Leeks
Broccoli
Artichokes
Beets
Raspberry bush
Blueberry bush
Strawberries
Swiss chard
Lettuce
Spinach
Eggplant
Brussel sprouts
Watermelon
Asparagus

Wife caught the prep fever and we got a big delivery from Costco with more staples for a long haul: toilet paper, pet food, detergent, toothpaste, and another 20 pound bag of rice. Plus, some canned chicken and canned veggies.

I’ve amended my workouts over the last six months from free weights to mostly do kettles, pushups and pull-ups, so as of tomorrow I’m bagging the gym workouts and getting a few more kettle bells for the home. There’s a four mile nature hike that goes through woods I can access from the house, so going to work out at home and hike indefinitely.

We’re basically prepared for a summer without leaving the homestead if needed. Hopefully won’t come to that, but feels reassuring. If there are any local cases, we’re pulling the kids from school and will cancel all deliveries to the home and hunker down. Our plan is to not get the virus until this wave runs its course, hopefully slowing down in the summer. We’ll spend a lot of time cooking lots of veggies, and by the pool.

Assuming there is a sizable surplus from the garden, we’ll freeze a good deal of that (have two good sized freezers) and give a lot away to neighbors.

Is it even possible to grow enough to feed two people in a normal sized garden? And won't you need to wait months for this?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You would need to wait months, especially for potatoes and onions if you're not doing them from old spuds or tubers.

Seems like a lot of effort put up front to start something, but not enough foresight to buy fertilizers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Books On Tape posted:

I’m growing:
Leeks
Broccoli
Artichokes
Beets
Raspberry bush
Blueberry bush
Strawberries
Swiss chard
Lettuce
Spinach
Eggplant
Brussel sprouts
Watermelon
Asparagus

Raiding your compound tonight to douse everything with my virus laden rear end plumes.

Also gonna spray paint "you fukkin nerd" on your Subaru Outback.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ah I’ve spent a million dollars on my underground bunker and several years worth of food and water, a preppers dream, I’m going to survive this pandemic

*cuts themselves badly gets tetanus and eventually dies*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Do it ironically posted:

Ah I’ve spent a million dollars on my underground bunker and several years worth of food and water, a preppers dream, I’m going to survive this pandemic

*cuts themselves badly gets tetanus and eventually dies*

*Eats blocks of cheese*

*Gets gout, dies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Son of Rodney posted:

Talked with my friend who works at a childrens doctor. We made fun of all the people buying masks and disinfectant and who are freaking out about this. Maybe this will calm someone down: she, her doctor boss, his colleagues, the woman at the pharmacy, everyone she's talking to are not worried about this much and in fact are rolling their eyes hard at the way people are reacting. She reiterated that you should wash your hands, and stay indoors if you're sick.

The worst thing about this virus is the way people keep panicking, not the actual virus itself. Be smart, do what professionals advise and you'll be fine. Buying a bit of food and supplies is sensible, just don't buy 350 dollars worth of chef boyardee or whatever.

Here's the thing, if you stay smug about something that official health experts are warning you should be preparing for, then if it turns out to not be necessary to take precautions you get that satisfaction of knowing you were right. If the virus disrupts your local area and now suddenly you are missing essentials because of a quarantine like prescription meds or toilet paper, well thats just a lovely situation to be in.

Why not take some basic precautions just incase you're wrong. Don't go buying loads of stuff, just prepare for disruption. Then worst case scenario, you look a bit silly in a month or two.