Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

TheKingslayer posted:

Lemme tell you the tale of a man that came down from the beanstalk named Stefan Struve.

Dirty Bob Schrijber telling a 6'4" 13-year old Struve "let's teach you grappling" was such a terrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Idahoant posted:

Yeah, I feel like he breaks the weight classes with his size. A fight against a 225 lb fighter is like man vs giant. Deontay is at least close but basically I think most people that tall and athletic will be scouted for basketball these days. If you took some of these nba power forward prospects and taught them to box maybe one of them could take him...

It's a self solving problem because they're not gonna find another goon like him for a long time.

How do think Fury would stack up against past hvy champions? There's a lot of great fighters but I wonder what some of them would be able to do to contend with fury's size and skill. Maybe study up on Dempsey's approach to the larger opponent?

Honestly hard to see him lose to anyone who fought before around 1990, and even Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield were too small to handle him. Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, Vitali Klitschko - guys like that could have potentially beaten him, but before those guys - superheavyweights themselves - it's very hard for me to see previous generations of heavyweights winning. Even Muhammad Ali was "only" 6'3 215 pounds in his prime. That's Steve Cunningham basically. Obviously Ali was a much better boxer, but it's hard to see Ali having that much more luck against someone who's 6'9 270 and can move and box so well. He would go 12, but could he land enough punches to win? Doubtful. Larry Holmes is in the same boat. Even prime George Foreman was only 6'3 220, though Foreman had Wilderesque power and could have KOed Fury if he was sloppy or out of shape. But before the 1990s, guys were just too small across the board, and once you get earlier than the 1970s, guys were comparative midgets. Joe Louis was 6'1 205. Jack Dempsey was 6'1 190. Rocky Marciano was 5'10 185. Today's cruiserweights are bigger than that.

Fury's such an enigma though that it also wouldn't surprise me to see him have an off night and get starched by B level guys like Shannon Briggs, Oliver McCall, Andrew Golota, Ray Mercer, Tony Tucker, Corrie Sanders, etc.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why are heavyweight boxer such giants now compared to even twenty-five years ago?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are heavyweight boxer such giants now compared to even twenty-five years ago?

If there was such a thing as two boxers of exactly equal skill, the larger one would always beat the smaller one, so being bigger is an innate advantage. Also, it’s easier to teach a huge guy to be a good boxer than to teach a small guy to be bigger. Probably people like spectacle too, so a chungus like Valuev gets a lot of viewers even though he couldn’t really fight.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Torquemada posted:

If there was such a thing as two boxers of exactly equal skill, the larger one would always beat the smaller one, so being bigger is an innate advantage. Also, it’s easier to teach a huge guy to be a good boxer than to teach a small guy to be bigger. Probably people like spectacle too, so a chungus like Valuev gets a lot of viewers even though he couldn’t really fight.

That's only true up to a certain point. Diminishing returns is a very real thing and overcoming that is part of what makes Fury impressive. I think the evolution of sports medicine and modern training methods partly explains why a man his size can now dominate his division, but if you were to transport a young Fury back in time to the 40s-70s, I think he'd struggle. Fury is undoubtedly very good, yet despite being undersized, I could see an elite bob and weaver like a prime Tyson or Frazier beat him, if (and that's a big if) they could handle the clinch.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Wilder has knocked out plenty of bigger guys before, they were just fat lumps of poo poo who stood right in front of him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Freudian slippers posted:

I could see an elite bob and weaver like a prime Tyson or Frazier beat him, if (and that's a big if) they could handle the clinch.

I agree and think the size differential would lead to refs breaking it up earlier and more often.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Speaking of Mike Tyson, just how good was he in boxing relative to other greats? Pop culture seems to rank him just behind Ali.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of Mike Tyson, just how good was he in boxing relative to other greats? Pop culture seems to rank him just behind Ali.

he looked like the greatest boxer of all time and no-one could last a round with him and then he went to jail so who knows

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

He had some great attributes (speed, power) and some bad attributes (height).
Within that combination, he achieved an amazingly effective style is his prime. That style would not be able to answer every great HW out there, but it ate up all the lackluster ones of his generation.

Speed goes first, and when Mike's speed went, he was toast.

This is what I'd expect him to try against Fury:

Just get insanely low and force Fury to punch straight down and miss or get warned for hitting the back of the head.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I assume this is why Mike had to bow out of boxing in his mid-thirties, yet George Foreman was champ in his mid-forties.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
anyone who doesnt think late 80s tyson was the greatest of all time needs to give their head a wobble. its a legit surprise he didnt kill anyone in the ring

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I can’t think of a more aggressive fighter. He also had a lot of gifts: compact and hardy, low centre of gravity, quick hands, great head movement and picked his shots really well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I also find it odd that there was controversy for when Douglas beat him. People don't seem to know that a ten count isn't a count to ten seconds.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Fu1vkAjdS/?utm_source=ig_embed

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Word on the street is Fury may have used loaded gloves? Just heard about this from a guy at work.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Word on the street is Fury may have used loaded gloves? Just heard about this from a guy at work.

at this rate Wilder is going to outdo Cain Velasquez for most pathetic/hilarious excuses following a loss

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I also find it odd that there was controversy for when Douglas beat him. People don't seem to know that a ten count isn't a count to ten seconds.

At the elite level of the sport, being able to administer consistent timings for counts would be more fair, which is why there's a popular expectation that counts are exact. It wouldn't be hard to give references a stopwatch gadget that starts counting when they see a fighter hit the floor, but there would still be plenty of controversy over when they fire off the first count.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah... loaded with cash!!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
If Mikey loses to Jesse Vargas tomorrow hopefully he doesn't blame the loss on a 15 lb cowboy hat or something as ridiculous

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

If Mikey loses to Jesse Vargas tomorrow hopefully he doesn't blame the loss on a 15 lb cowboy hat or something as ridiculous

that would be sick

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

That's only true up to a certain point. Diminishing returns is a very real thing and overcoming that is part of what makes Fury impressive. I think the evolution of sports medicine and modern training methods partly explains why a man his size can now dominate his division, but if you were to transport a young Fury back in time to the 40s-70s, I think he'd struggle. Fury is undoubtedly very good, yet despite being undersized, I could see an elite bob and weaver like a prime Tyson or Frazier beat him, if (and that's a big if) they could handle the clinch.

kimbo305 posted:

He had some great attributes (speed, power) and some bad attributes (height).
Within that combination, he achieved an amazingly effective style is his prime. That style would not be able to answer every great HW out there, but it ate up all the lackluster ones of his generation.

This is what I'd expect him to try against Fury:

Just get insanely low and force Fury to punch straight down and miss or get warned for hitting the back of the head.

In my personal opinion, I'd say a key point about Tyson is that one of his great strengths was his defense. Sure, he hit like a truck with both hands, but on top of that was the defense that D'Amato drilled into him every day for years, and that Rooney continued drilling him on. His opponents knew not only that they could be knocked out with either hand, but that they had little chance of landing anything solid on his head. Those videos linked above illustrate this beautifully, especially the bottom one against Reggie Gross.

However, once Tyson and Rooney parted ways (after the Spinks fight), Tyson's head movement became less and less apparent, as he slowly morphed into a fighter who lumbered straight in looking for killing shots. This was most evident after prison, but if you watch his first pre-prison fight after Rooney's departure from the corner (Frank Bruno), you will see him take a lot more shots that he had previously in his career. Now, as it turned out, Tyson had a great chin, but still, he was getting hit a lot more.

I do think if you take the Tyson from 6/27/1988 (arguably the most ferocious he ever looked) and put him in the ring against anyone, he would be a problem for his opponent. However, there was a sort of template emerging, used against him by fighters who were taller, with longer reach.

Prior to the Spinks fight, which I think of as his peak, Tyson had fought 6'4" James Bonecrusher Smith, 6'5" Tony Tucker, and 6'5" Mitch Green, all of whom had reaches of 80" and longer (Tyson's reach was about 72" if I remember correctly)

All three of these fights went the distance, although the Green fight wasn't close--Green was running and clinching the whole way. But the other two (and Green to a much lesser extent) were using the template of keeping Tyson at bay with the jab, and when he did manage to work inside, as he had to against taller/longer-armed opponents, to not only clinch but to lean down on him constantly, trying to wear him out. Post-prison, you can really see this against Lennox and Holyfield.

I could see Fury doing the same to prime Tyson. As always, the danger factor is the dynamite Tyson had in both hands, so if he did manage to get inside unimpeded one or two punches could dramatically change the whole fight, if not end it. But Fury looks to me to be a good enough boxer that I think Tyson would have trouble getting inside, where he needs to be, without being clinched.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's crazy that in the span of a year and a half of starting boxing, Deontay Wilder got on the US Olympic Boxing Team and performed better than anyone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2dKtzwqbzM&t=610s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wilder is what you'd find in the dictionary under no technique, but incredible power and fight IQ.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He should jab with the jabber:

https://twitter.com/LennoxLewis/status/1232141253141127168?s=20

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tyson was very, very good, but he was also champ at a time where the talent pool really started to dwindle. A big fish in a small pond. Styles makes fights and I think both Foreman and Liston would have chewed him up. P4P best ever can of course be debated forever, but in my opinion, it'd come down to Floyd jr or Robinson. I don't mean to rag on Tyson because he was loving awesome, but he didn't fight that much elite competition.

E: I don't think it's up for debate that Ali fought a much higher tier of competition.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Tyson ducked Lennox forever too.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The "long count" was some bullshit excuse Don King cooked up to deflect from the embarrassing loss, exactly like Wilder and his team are doing now

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
This DAZN card has been out of this world with amazing fights. Eddie Hearn sure is putting on some shows in 2020.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
War Chocolate Tito! Just beat the hell out of and knocked out unbeaten Kal Yafai

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chocolatito looked great. So happy he did well. Loved his mouthpiece, FSLN!!!

Edit: What a year to be a boxing fan.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1233963178863874050

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

My brother told me that Deontay Wilder comes off a bit like a bully. Where does he get this from? I've seen a few interviews of him and he seems like a reasonable dude.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mikey can't compete at welterweight. He's getting shut out on my card through 4.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well okay looks like I spoke too soon.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I mean you're right in that he's physically always going to be outmatched but his timing is so good that he can mitigate that against all but the elite at the class

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vargas has some of the gnarliest bacne

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Glad Vargas got to stick it out after seeing those jelly legs. Mikey and Choco are faves of mine. Feels great seeing them both come back and win big tonight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
It would be a financial boon for DAZN and the parties involved if they could do the Pacquiao fight but failing that I would like to see him against the winner of Prograis/Hooker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Man what a great night of fights. The Harris undercard fight was great.